PDA

View Full Version : Bires: Big Ben thrown under the bus?

mesaSteeler
09-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Bires: Big Ben thrown under the bus?
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1424/2009/september/17/bires-big-ben-thrown-under-the-bus.html
By: Mike Bires -
Beaver County Times

Jerome Bettis is now a bad guy. At least that’s how he was looked upon Wednesday by one of his former teammates.

When told of comments Bettis made in his debut column on SI.com, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said, “Jerome knows he’s in the media, so I’ll laugh in his face, too.”

Roethlisberger wasn’t joking. He said that with a serious, straight face.

He took a shot at Bettis for comments “The Bus” made regarding the Steelers’ poor running game in the season-opening win over Tennessee.

But really, Bettis’ column about several Week 1 topics in the NFL was well-written, insightful and opinionated. He did exactly what he was paid to do, and that’s write a column people talk about.

Bettis, a future Hall of Famer who retired after the 2005 Super Bowl season, was especially compelling in his comments regarding Carolina coach John Fox and QB Jake Delhomme, who’s thrown nine interceptions in his last two starts dating back to last season’s NFC divisional playoff round.

Bettis also called the Steelers “a mediocre running team on their best day.”

He’s right.

Bettis also said he “hasn’t seen much” from running backs Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall and that rookie fullback Frank Summers “doesn’t seem to understand what’s going on.”

He’s right again.

Roethlisberger may not agree, but Bettis made a fair and accurate assessment of the Steelers’ 36-yard rushing total against the Titans.

Roethlisberger aside, other Steelers didn’t seem offended by Bettis’ column.

“That’s his job now, isn’t it?” defensive end Brett Keisel said. “He’s a critical guy now.”

Parker did joke that “I’m going to trash his place” in a reference to Jerome Bettis’ Grille 36 restaurant on the North Shore. But when the conversation turned serious, Parker said that “anybody can see after that game that we need a better running game.”

So, it will be interesting to see if the Pittsburgh ground attack gets on track Sunday in Chicago.

It will also be interesting to see what Bettis has to say about it.

Mike Bires can be reached at mbires@timesonline.com

Thursday September 17, 2009 01:24 PM

tony hipchest
09-17-2009, 09:24 PM
these guys are jocks, first and foremost. they will hack on eachother all the time.

everyone knows ben and jerome were close. im pretty sure jerome is hoping his critisizm will light a fire under his guys asses, and prove him wrong.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-17-2009, 09:28 PM
I ain't mad at Jerome for what he said. He said what he though, and that's fine. I would rather he be harsh instead of sugar coating it not to hurt the feelings of his friends.

1st&Goal
09-17-2009, 10:07 PM
I tend to look at Jerome's article as a motivational piece. I hope it works.

steelpride12
09-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Jerome spoke his mind and in no way meant to affend the Steelers or the run game. Jerome and Ben were close and there is no tension there.

stairway27
09-17-2009, 10:20 PM
What Bettis says is true, you can't argue that. He is in the media now, and that's what the media does. I was watching Inside the NFL last night, and they showed Steve Smith sitting beside Delhomme(spelling?) And he was trashing him to his face.

Preacher
09-17-2009, 10:27 PM
these guys are jocks, first and foremost. they will hack on eachother all the time.

everyone knows ben and jerome were close. im pretty sure jerome is hoping his critisizm will light a fire under his guys asses, and prove him wrong.

Never know... I do hope that is true though...

Sure would love to see him come back and coach RB's. Not as much because I dislike our RB coach, but just because I really want to see JB on our sidelines again.

pancake
09-18-2009, 02:40 AM
Bus didn't say anymore than what we have said on here. He is just calling it like he sees it...

sharkweek
09-18-2009, 02:51 AM
yeah, he's not saying anything any ardent Steeler fan has already been saying since last season

Galax Steeler
09-18-2009, 03:45 AM
I have to say as well that it is for motivation purposes to see if
we can get the running game going again. I think we need to start with Parker and if he can't produce in say the first half then I think we should turn it over to Mendenhall and give him a shot. I just don't think he is getting enough touches to show what he can do.

stlrtruck
09-18-2009, 08:15 AM
As I mentioned in another thread. Bettis' job is now a media hype persona. He can say whatever he wants whether it be true or not. In this case, I believe there is truth to his statements. The players can't take his comments personal - it's what he gets paid to do.

cubanstogie
09-18-2009, 08:35 AM
truth hurts, we dominate the run game for years now its our turn in the air game. A one dimensional offense beats one of the best teams in the league, you gotta be happy with that. Our ground game will come around I predict then disappear when we play the Ravens. My knew outlook is I don't care as long as we win. Although I would like to convert a 3rd and 1 by running it up the gut for once.

Steelerfreak58
09-18-2009, 08:53 AM
The hardest pill to swallow is the truth. Bettis loves the team and the city but he is never going to gloss over anything about the team. He knows Steeler fans don't want anything candy coated he knows the way Steeler Nation likes its football straight forward and to the point.

You can't blame the guy he is probably a bit embarrassed that the Steelers who are known for being a dominant running team did so poorly last year and looking like possibly this year if things don't come together. The next few weeks will tell the tale.

mmalone
09-18-2009, 09:38 AM
truth hurts, we dominate the run game for years now its our turn in the air game. A one dimensional offense beats one of the best teams in the league, you gotta be happy with that. Our ground game will come around I predict then disappear when we play the Ravens. My knew outlook is I don't care as long as we win. Although I would like to convert a 3rd and 1 by running it up the gut for once.

cool.

just send Parker around the Ends and Summers up the gut.

its the kenetic energy theory.
:tt03::tt03:

CPanther95
09-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Nice seeing a fanbase with some perspective. Cowboys fans are constantly whining about Aikman, Emmit, etc. being "traitors" for not picking the Cowboys to win the SB each year.

They call Staubach a "real" Cowboy because he just picked them to go 12-4 this year. (LOL)

SteelMember
09-18-2009, 10:45 AM
I ain't mad at Jerome for what he said. He said what he though, and that's fine. I would rather he be harsh instead of sugar coating it not to hurt the feelings of his friends.

:iagree:

What Bettis says is true, you can't argue that. He is in the media now, and that's what the media does. I was watching Inside the NFL last night, and they showed Steve Smith sitting beside Delhomme(spelling?) And he was trashing him to his face.

Was that where Smith said he never liked him as a QB, but as a person...definately. :chuckle:

LVSteelersfan
09-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Way to go Jerome. Our running game sucks and you are just telling it like it is. If the players don't like it, then work on getting better please.

Youngstown Steeler
09-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Jerome said the same thing everyone on this forum has been saying...the truth. Our running game needs to improve. End of story. I believe it will improve, one game does not a season make. Oh, and I still love JB! One of my favorite all-time Steelers. Even if we didn't draft him.

Christian Snyder
09-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Well said.

The_WARDen
09-18-2009, 02:15 PM
The Steelers can't run the ball? Really? Even a blind rat coulda pointed that out.

If the players get their panties in a bunch, then STFU and do something about it!

stb_steeler
09-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Well he's right, we havent seen any running game thus far.. But hopefully this will be a motivation tool. Call em like you see em!

43Hitman
09-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Like coach would say "Put it on film"..I love our coach..

T Bradshaw
09-19-2009, 01:22 AM
im pretty sure jerome is hoping his critisizm will light a fire under his guys asses, and prove him wrong.

BINGO!!

If Ben is smart he will see it that way too, and what is Ben crying about? Bettis did not write anything negative about the big baby. GET OVER IT and stop underthrowing you deep balls

I want to see more people criticize the steelers, it will only help us!