PDA

View Full Version : Steelers O-Linemen Not Thrilled About Current Scrutiny

mesaSteeler
09-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Steelers O-Linemen Not Thrilled About Current Scrutiny
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/18/steelers-o-linemen-not-happy-about-scrutiny/#cont
Posted Sep 18, 2009 11:04PM By JJ Cooper (RSS feed)

Over at NFL.com, there's a new feature called "O-Line Confidential" which consists of the five Steelers' offensive lineman sitting around the dinner table at a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse talking football. (Note nojobny kindly posted the link to this over in the media section. http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=39020 It's well worth watching. - mesa)

It's a great feature, hopefully just the first of a series as the Steelers' o-linemen offer some insight, show some humor and give everyone a chance to get know a group that is relatively anonymous in general. During the segment they also make it known that they aren't real happy with all the criticism they hear, which makes sense considering no group is probably more criticized than the Steelers' offensive line.

"People act like they know who gave up sacks," Hartwig said, using an example of a time that he messed up last year, which made it look like Max Starks gave up a sack that was actually his fault. "People think they know who is responsible for sacks, no."

Hearing that, it's hard not think that he's talking at least in part about the offensive line posts here at the FanHouse as well as Dagger's breakdowns over at Post Game Heroes.

It's not that Hartwig doesn't have a point. As has been mentioned constantly throughout the O-line breakdowns here, these breakdowns are down to the best of my ability, which means it's an attempt to discern what went right and what went wrong without knowing the play call. Sometimes they are obvious (if a defensive end runs by Starks or Willie Colon as they attempt to block him, it was his man), but in other cases it's hard to figure out who was to blame (like several sacks in last year's Eagles game where blitzers flew threw the middle of the Steelers' line untouched). Let me be the first to apologize, as I'm sure that I've blamed the wrong offensive lineman for a sack or two through the years.

But in general, it's not that hard to figure out who is having a good game and who is struggling. In general run blocking is even easier to figure out--when nose tackles were driving Sean Mahan into the backfield, it doesn't take much knowledge of the Steelers' play calling to figure out that it's not be design.

And the track record of the Between The Lines series here at FanHouse seems to be pretty good. Back in 2006, I wrote most every week that Sean Mahan was a big part of the Steelers' offensive line's problems. At the time the Steelers denied that Mahan was struggling at all (which is exactly what you would expect coaches to do when defending a player). And as soon as the season was over, the Steelers went out to find a replacement and traded Mahan to Tampa Bay. He's not been a starter since.

The other two offensive linemen who were singled out in 2006 were Kendall Simmons and Max Starks. Simmons eventually was cut by the Steelers in the middle of a large long-term deal and he then sat on the free agent market throughout the offseason, only finally landing a job as a backup last week with the Patriots. Starks eventually lost his job to Willie Colon. Once he got into better shape he eventually became the Steelers' left tackle, but it took until 2009 for him to go into a season as a starter again.

And in the preseason, you could read here that rookie tight end David Johnson was a very good in-line blocker as a tight end, but that he struggled to block as a fullback. Two weeks later, Jim Wexell wrote over on his blog ($) that the Steelers' coaching staff were impressed with Johnson's ability as an in-line blocker, but worried about his ability to make blocks as a fullback.

So while it's possible that a sack here or there may be blamed on the wrong offensive lineman. The overall results seem to be pretty accurate.

The Steelers offensive line came off as a group of likeable guys. And they seemed like a group who is well motivated to improve, it just to make everyone, including this site, give them the respect they lack right now.

"I want to get it done to shut everybody up," Colon said.

Nothing would make me happier as a Steelers fan than to be made to look like an idiot in this case.

SteelC7
09-19-2009, 01:05 AM
well i hope they shut us all up, i would love it, no sacks and a good ground game and everybody will shut the hell up

Steeldude
09-19-2009, 01:52 AM
well i hope they shut us all up, i would love it, no sacks and a good ground game and everybody will shut the hell up

and i hope they do it against above average defenses. i dislike how people give the excuse, "well they were facing a good defense". while that is a valid argument, it still doesn't mean they have to struggle against every good defense.

mmalone
09-19-2009, 07:25 AM
jerome is sitting around his dinner table laughing at how he may have gotten this offense pissed off enough to play harder...

im think'n he cant wait to watch the game now...
:tt:

steel striker
09-19-2009, 09:58 AM
I know we all hope that the oline will get better and, we will be able to run the ball with success. Also keep Ben upright because, I really think we have a good passing game. The only way to shut up the so called experts is with results.

1st&Goal
09-19-2009, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=mesaSteeler;661902]Steelers O-Linemen Not Thrilled About Current Scrutiny
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/18/steelers-o-linemen-not-happy-about-scrutiny/#cont
Posted Sep 18, 2009 11:04PM By JJ Cooper (RSS feed)

Simmons eventually was cut by the Steelers in the middle of a large long-term deal and he then sat on the free agent market throughout the offseason, only finally landing a job as a backup last week with the Patriots.

Good move by Bellicheat. Much less risky and time consuming than all that messy video taping.

Steelboy84
09-19-2009, 11:03 AM
TIme to stop talking and start blocking!

SteelTalons
09-19-2009, 11:41 AM
TIme to stop talking and start blocking!

Exactly, if they wanna stop getting criticized then stop profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltering up on a weekly basis.

MACH1
09-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Do your jobs and no one will have anything to say. Stop worrying about what people say and start worrying about blocking someone, anyone.

4xSBChamps
09-19-2009, 11:53 AM
..... keep Ben upright because, I really think we have a good passing game.

I hate to say it, but a team might be able to win in today's NFL solely with a passing-game, essentially eschewing the run (oddly) if you stay out of short-yardage situations:
if 'em Stillers can keep Roethlisberger out of the sick-bay and/or traction, they might be good-enough to pull it off

The only way to shut up the so called experts is with results.

Results are the only-thing that matters..... if they bring home another Silver football the first Sunday in February, which of the 'so-called experts' will be complaining about the Offensive Line woes?

:noidea:

Edman
09-19-2009, 11:57 AM
The last time the O-Line said something like this, they were absolutely dominated the next week in Philadelphia.

They'll see scrutiny until they stop getting dominated in the short yardage run game. Yes. Tennesee has a good defense, but that is no excuse to suck on 3rd and 1.

tyler289
09-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Didn't they say this stuff last year? I'm getting tired of the "we're better than you think" speech they give every week, only to get pushed around the next game.

Steely McSmash
09-19-2009, 12:28 PM
'so-called experts' [/I]will be complaining about the Offensive Line woes?

:noidea:

Ah so we won the last superbowl with what was described as the "worst OL to win it". The complaining has not stopped and it won't until they turn it around.

To paraphrase Tomlin: the standard of expectation is high and does not change

HometownGal
09-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Put your money where your mouths are OL. :hope:

Kal
09-19-2009, 12:56 PM
I'd understand their defensiveness if they actually played a bit better. I think Starks and Colon have played well for the most part, but the interior is brutal.

I'm a little surprised more hasnt been done to improve it since you can usually find serviceable offensive linemen for little money (hell is Pete Kendall still a free agent? He may be old but he was very good last year and would offer an immediate upgrade)

4xSBChamps
09-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Ah so we won the last superbowl with what was described as the "worst OL to win it". The complaining has not stopped and it won't until they turn it around.

To paraphrase Tomlin: the standard of expectation is high and does not change

that standard is always high, but at last glance, they did win the Super Bowl, which in-itself, is the highest expectation, correct?
:drink:

Personally, I'd love to see 'em Stillers blow gapping holes in the defense at-will, play meat-grinder/smash-mouth football, and never throw the ball, just pound the opposition into the ground, but doesn't happen in this day of pass-and-tab:
fortunately, the season is still young, this unit can still improve (sooner rather-than-later IS preferable), they are still unbeaten, and in the end, they'll be judged by how-far the team goes in the playoffs.
:thumbsup:

wootawnee
09-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Yunz guys are Doomed......Murphy's Law got a choke hold on the Steeler Nation......

You can't forget about the past, so you are Doomed... ...You drag around that luggage with you..........

DOOmed.....Doomed.....

Makes me wanna puke........Cause carring Lugage is the biggest weakness on Earth..........

Ditch the Luggage......."Forget about it"........And be a "Freebird"........

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_e3hCA-YolZ4/SqBp82Ioa1I/AAAAAAAABCo/_nd7zG2pkvQ/s400/free+bird+007-1.JPG

SteelTalons
09-19-2009, 06:53 PM
that standard is always high, but at last glance, they did win the Super Bowl, which in-itself, is the highest expectation, correct?
:drink:

I think people are using the Superbowl to somehow suggest playing like dogshit is acceptable. There is two reasons why we had success last year... And only two: 1) The Defense, now it didn't save us all the time. But it did most of the time, one notable exception was when Lebeau moved the corners closer to the sidelines to prevent receivers from running out of bound to stop the clock towards the end of the game and Fitz torched us. 2) Is Ben and the receivers, Ben's running for his life most of the time and is extending plays with his feet, and Ward/Holmes did a fine job of getting open and making plays.

The O-Line had little no no contribution to this football team other than getting in the way, they couldnt protect Ben, they couldnt open lanes for the run game. We could put of a damn split rail fence and give Ben more time than these jokers did.

The "silver football" is nice, but to just brush off this terrible play as not a big deal because we won it all last year is stupid we won only because everyone else pulled their dead weight all season long. They had there moments last year, but they need to put up or shut up, they made their bed, now they must sleep in it, the criticism comes as a result of their poor performance.

steelpride12
09-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Our OL did okkkk with the passing downs against the Titans. Yes he was sacked a few times, but Ben had time to throw and had a great day passing. I hope the OL talked out their mistakes during dinner and are ready for another hungry defense all over them. Ben and the running game need room and time Sunday. The offense has to produce to give the defense the room to blitz and pressure Cutler!

SteelTalons
09-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Again I ask: what is the answer? Exactly what are they doing poorly and what's the fix for it? :noidea:
I think they've got a job that is never going to make them look good no matter how well they perform.

Here's two things they can do... Open some lanes so Willie and Mendy and make it beyond the LOS more than twice a game. Protect Ben more often, they look to be getting a bit better at this one. Ben's having more time, and so times the sacks due to his holding to the ball tryna make a big play.

Mostly I wanna see them open some lanes now so if weather or injury causes us to have a so-so passing game, we have something else to fall back on in terms of offense.

Im not asking for them to manhandle defenses week-in-week out just to look respectable on Sunday and don't be the weakest link in the chain so to speak.

HometownGal
09-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Yunz guys are Doomed......Murphy's Law got a choke hold on the Steeler Nation......

You can't forget about the past, so you are Doomed... ...You drag around that luggage with you..........

DOOmed.....Doomed.....

Makes me wanna puke........Cause carring Lugage is the biggest weakness on Earth..........

Ditch the Luggage......."Forget about it"........And be a "Freebird"........

Huh? Are you some kind of witch doctor or something?

mesaSteeler
09-19-2009, 09:05 PM

LOL :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

xbroughneck
09-19-2009, 10:50 PM
And again I refer back to my earlier post: How do you propose they open lanes without help and without running formations? How do you propose they protect a quarterback who won't stand still?
I'm looking for specifics here.

Ur being overlooked so far, but I would like to know the answer to your questions as well. Maybe then I'll comprehend the method behind the madness.

(Not hating on the final result mind you):coffee:

Texasteel
09-19-2009, 11:07 PM

I was going to say, NUT JOB!