PDA

View Full Version : Redman isn't solution for Steelers' offense

mesaSteeler
09-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Redman isn't solution for Steelers' offense
Saturday, September 19, 2009
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette

Of all the ridiculous rants coming from the over-reactionary crowd after the Steelers' first game, this easily takes the top prize:

They gotta play Redman!

Yeah, right.

That's the solution to the problems with the running game.

Throw running backs Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall out with the garbage and put the ball -- not to mention the team's Super Bowl hopes -- in the hands of a kid who never played in a major college game let alone had a touch in a real NFL game.

Yeah, that'll work.

Give me a break.

I guess I understand the fascination with rookie free agent Isaac Redman, especially after Parker and Mendenhall had a hard time finding yards in the opening-game win against the Tennessee Titans. A lot of people tend to think the next guy in line automatically will do a better job. That's why the backup quarterback usually is the most popular player on any team. It doesn't matter that he's a backup for a reason, namely that he's not as good as the starter. People want to see what he can do the first time the starter loses a game or even throws an interception.

But the passion of the Redman supporters almost seems off the charts. Where does that come from? What is it based on? That Redman had a few strong runs in goal-line situations at training camp and earned the nickname "Red Zone" Redman? That he had a couple of good exhibition games playing with and against second- and third-teamers?

I repeat:

Give me a break.

I shouldn't have to tell you that doing it in those camp practices and exhibition games isn't the same as doing it against the Titans' great defense under the bright lights of the NFL's opening game. It also isn't the same as doing it against the Chicago Bears' defense tomorrow at Soldier Field.

Redman is on the Steelers' practice squad -- not their active roster -- for one very good reason: He's not ready for the NFL.

Certainly, he's not as good as Parker or Mendenhall.

Not yet, anyway.

At the pro level, the running-back position involves more than just toting the ball. It's about knowing the offense and understanding the assignments. It's about picking up blitzes and making the right blocks so quarterback Ben Roethlisberger doesn't get knocked into next week. It's about running the right pass routes so Roethlisberger doesn't throw silly interceptions.

Clearly, Redman is raw, a work in progress. As a Super Bowl contender, the Steelers can't afford to let him learn on the job. They have to go with the guy who is proven (Parker) and the guy who is a lot further along in the process (Mendenhall).

Not that Redman's fans want to hear that.

Of course, they don't.

They're convinced Redman is going to be the next Adrian Peterson.

Even Redman seems a bit amused by his celebrity status. "I've gone to the grocery store and people have recognized me," he said this week. "I get a lot of messages on Facebook from people saying they like the way I run. That tells me I'm doing something good here."

Redman should feel good about himself. He had a remarkable camp and exhibition season. He had no chance to make the Steelers when he signed as a free agent from Bowie State, which played opponents such as Shaw and Lincoln (Pa.) last season and lost to Slippery Rock this season. Yet, he showed enough to find his way on the practice squad and could be just an injury away from getting on the active roster, although the Steelers' coaches also like another back on their practice squad -- Justin Vincent -- because of what he could give them on special teams.

Absolutely, Redman deserves all the credit in the world.

"I like to think I'll be ready if I get the opportunity," he said. "I've been working hard and studying the playbook. To have a little bit of success like I did gives me confidence I can play on this level."

Who knows? Maybe Redman will become an NFL star. Parker was an undrafted free agent and went on to become a Pro Bowl player and Super Bowl hero.

But there's a better chance Redman won't make it big. Any of the 31 other NFL teams could have claimed him on waivers after the final cut this summer, but all passed. You would think if the guy is destined to become the next Adrian Peterson, at least one of the clubs would have recognized it.

Not to be cynical.

Ron Cook can be reached at rcook@post-gazette.com. More articles by this author
First published on September 19, 2009 at 12:00 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09262/999267-87.stm#ixzz0RWh6WWGr

pancake
09-19-2009, 02:19 AM
I look forward to seeing a certain person react to this... :popcorn:

sharkweek
09-19-2009, 02:35 AM
some fans simply are in love with their team more than they understand the sport the team plays

The Lakelander
09-19-2009, 03:15 AM
I look forward to seeing a certain person react to this... :popcorn:

Would that be me? :laughing:

Yeah. Ron Cook has a point.

I'm with the rest of the cynics now ... we go with who we got, and we got Willie and Rashard.

I'm pulling for both of them right now.

Galax Steeler
09-19-2009, 06:41 AM
I would love to see Redman get some carries this year but I don't want it to come at the expense of an injury to Parker or Mendenhall. I guess he will just have to wait his turn.

KeiselPower99
09-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Wow another article about the running game.

Galax Steeler
09-19-2009, 08:09 AM
Wow another article about the running game.

You didn't think you were going to go through the week with out one did you.:chuckle:

Psyychoward86
09-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Butbutbut, he's the next Fred Taylor :chuckle:

HometownGal
09-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Guess Redman's cult will have to find someone else to brand. :chuckle:

I liked the kid, but he really isn't the second coming of Walter Peyton.

Psyychoward86
09-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Guess Redman's cult will have to find someone else to brand. :chuckle:

I liked the kid, but he really isn't the second coming of Walter Peyton.

Of course not, he's the second coming of Bettis :flap:

stillers4me
09-19-2009, 10:02 AM
I remember the last time I was this impressed with a no-name guy who wandered into training camp. Steigerwald kept singing his praises and I could see why; he was really a force to be reckoned with.
When I went to that year's Ravens game, I requested his number from the face painter. Of course, he didn't have that number, but he did have Bettis' #36, so I had him flip the "3" and shoot it twice so I'd have # 86.
He asked me who that was, and I said "Hines Ward". He said he never heard of him, and I said "don't worry, you will."

Now that's not to say that I have some telekinetic power to make great players simply by spotting them early, but I feel strongly enough about this guy's potential that I'll be attending this year's game sporting a #33. I believe that 10 years from now, we'll all remember the name. :tt02:

Great story! Here's to your latest prophesy coming true. We really need it! :drink:

43Hitman
09-19-2009, 10:24 AM

I'm with the rest of the cynics now ... we go with who we got, and we got Willie and Rashard.

Does this mean you're prepared to pay up on the bet? Or do you still think he will be our starter next season?

Steely McSmash
09-19-2009, 11:03 AM

If he has a point it's on his head :flap:

This article plays like a GW Bush political speech -- he refutes things that do not exist and then lambastes the fan base for daring to have an opinion on the matter

Of all the ridiculous rants coming from the over-reactionary crowd after the Steelers' first game, this easily takes the top prize:

Ok lets warm up with some name calling.

That's the solution to the problems with the running game.

As we all know the fans have been advocating this as a universal fix for the problems running the game.

Throw running backs Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall out with the garbage and put the ball -- not to mention the team's Super Bowl hopes -- in the hands of a kid who never played in a major college game let alone had a touch in a real NFL game.

Oh yeah, I remember saying that we should cut all the other backs -- seems reasonable. As long as he never plays you'll be able to make this "never played in a real game" argument

. A lot of people tend to think the next guy in line automatically will do a better job. That's why the backup quarterback usually is the most popular player on any team.

This is pattently untrue and insulting to a well educated fan base.

But the passion of the Redman supporters almost seems off the charts. Where does that come from? What is it based on? That Redman had a few strong runs in goal-line situations at training camp and earned the nickname "Red Zone" Redman? That he had a couple of good exhibition games playing with and against second- and third-teamers?

Yeah we all just made this up...

Was that a dream where I saw him running for TD over Julius Peppers? We could have seen more if the team wasn't so infatuated with the Justin Vincent experience.

They're convinced Redman is going to be the next Adrian Peterson.

Again let's put some ridiculous words our mouths and then run us down.

although the Steelers' coaches also like another back on their practice squad -- Justin Vincent -- because of what he could give them on special teams.

Another plug for Vincent --why??

Here's my take-- I think it's fairly reasonable.

Redman has shown the ability to carry some tacklers. The RB are not seeing big holes so the guy who can carry tacklers and break tackles is going to have more success than the other guys.

I agree that he's very raw, has some poor college habits (spin move in backfield), may be out of condition and may not be ready to pick up blitz.

I think he'd be a situational player. When the Steelers line up with 2-3 backs they almost never pass so all he needs to do if used like this is run the ball hard. That above all else he seems to do better than the other backs. Again this is based on the preseason games which is all I have access to as a fan.

If the OL was opening big holes, then I think he belongs on the PS to develop. I understand that Tennesee is not an average team to benchmark our rushing against. Just saying that if I were hypothetically running things,I'd cut lose a DL or DB and put him on the roster.

The Lakelander
09-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Does this mean you're prepared to pay up on the bet? Or do you still think he will be our starter next season?

:rolleyes: No ... it just means I've learned I should just shut the fukc up on these boards when I have a strong opinion about a player I am witnessing exerting a set of skills coming through camp.

I've also learned that it's best to exert no opinion at all ... and then when someone else does, quickly assert he's a tool and a welch to garner the respect and admiration of everyone else on these boards. :scholar: It's very much en vogue on these boards for those without a shred of credibility to instigate mockery :finger: upon those who have postulated a viable viewpoint.

I'll just do like the rest of you people on these boards do .... bitch and moan that the running game is broken and point fingers :point: at Bruce Arians for causing it ... and then when someone has a viewpoint on ways to fix it, do this :finger:

It's your mantra 43Hitman.

:drink:

43Hitman
09-19-2009, 02:12 PM
:rolleyes: No ... it just means I've learned I should just shut the fukc up on these boards when I have a strong opinion about a player I am witnessing exerting a set of skills coming through camp.

I've also learned that it's best to exert no opinion at all ... and then when someone else does, quickly assert he's a tool and a welch to garner the respect and admiration of everyone else on these boards. :scholar: It's very much en vogue on these boards for those without a shred of credibility to instigate mockery :finger: upon those who have postulated a viable viewpoint.

I'll just do like the rest of you people on these boards do .... bitch and moan that the running game is broken and point fingers :point: at Bruce Arians for causing it ... and then when someone has a viewpoint on ways to fix it, do this :finger:

It's your mantra 43Hitman.

:drink:

I'm not instigating anything you didn't put yourself into. You could have said no, but you didn't. No one forced you, hell you even tried to bluff me out of it by upping the ante and putting more pressure on me. I was only trying to point out the fact that maybe, just maybe you were on the dude's jock just a bit to much. Now that it is obvious you were your trying to deflect. It's okay. We all read your posts. Really, I never expected you to pay up. I wanted to make a point and I did. So cry all you want and say that I am a meany trying to bully you. Also, do you think you can post without dropping F-bombs, it's really unbecoming of your intelligence.

LVSteelersfan
09-19-2009, 02:36 PM
The coaches know NFL talent better than anyone on a message board. As stated in the article 31 other teams passed on him as well. It must mean something. Redman is just another Gary Russell type who will be bounced around the league from one team to another and never make a difference anywhere. He is there for emercency backup on a practice squad and will be brought up if and only if Parker or Mendenhall gets hurt. We will be in big trouble if it comes down to that point.

steelpride12
09-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Exactly! The Steelers have 3 fine running backs in Parker, Mendenhall, and Moore. Redman is not the answer. If our OL does not produce, make holes, then NO running back can have a productive day. I like Redman and see him having potential in the NFL, but not under our OL.

Steely McSmash
09-19-2009, 06:43 PM
The coaches know NFL talent better than anyone on a message board.

on the whole this is true but that doesn't mean that we need to agree with them on every little thing. If he's on the PS that means that they see something in him as well.

It's funny that you mention Gary Russell. If he hadn't screwed up and gotten himself cut, I think we might be doing better on the short yardage. I'm still sore over that one has well.:rofl:

pancake
09-20-2009, 04:04 AM

Maybe... :flap:

fansince'76
09-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Slaton has 30 yards in 13 carries so far against the Titans' D today. Good run defenses don't allow a lot of yards on the ground. That's why they have a reputation as good run defenses.

Kaeg
09-20-2009, 01:54 PM
I agree that NFL coaches know a good player when they see one. :chuckle: Just ask Willie Parker and James Harrison. ......OK, well maybe ONE team's coaches know a good player......