PDA

View Full Version : Santonio and Reed brutal

Avalon105
09-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Santanio dropped 3 very makeable catches and Reed missed two field goals. Enough said. Poor game. :banging:

BlockMonsta
09-20-2009, 06:10 PM
What a joke.

SmashmouthFootball
09-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Jeff Reed lost the game for us. It's on him. It's that simple. It doesn't happen often, but he was putrid today and he's the reason we lost.

Ricco Suavez
09-20-2009, 06:11 PM
get these waterboy wannabees out of here

Rhee Rhee
09-20-2009, 06:12 PM
the steelers D just wasn't its usual self in the 2nd half...

missed FGs and dropped passes happen to every team...

bad defense does not happen to the pittsburgh steelers.

HometownGal
09-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Oh shut up. :rolleyes:

If you want to call a 5 catch, 83 yard performance "brutal", you need a seeing eye dog. The ball was WET - let's see how many water logged balls you drop.

HometownGal
09-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Jeff Reed lost the game for us. It's on him. It's that simple. It doesn't happen often, but he was putrid today and he's the reason we lost.

And I suppose Reed gave up the ton of yardage the Bears got on their last 2 drives??? C'mon - be real. Reed shares in the blame but he doesn't deserve all of it. When you have a 1st and 10 at the opponent's 10 YL, you should be able to punch it in.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
09-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Oh shut up. :rolleyes:

If you want to call a 5 catch, 83 yard performance "brutal", you need a seeing eye dog. The ball was WET - let's see how many water logged balls you drop.

Except I don't get paid millions of dollars to do just that. It really looks like at this point it's Ben plus 52 guys they found on the street.

SmashmouthFootball
09-20-2009, 06:14 PM
And I suppose Reed gave up the ton of yardage the Bears got on their last 2 drives??? C'mon - be real. Reed shares in the blame but he doesn't deserve all of it. When you have a 1st and 10 at the opponent's 10 YL, you should be able to punch it in.

Nobody ever takes all of the blame, but Reed takes the vast majority of the blame today.

We lost by three, he cost us six.

Steel Head
09-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Holmes did drop a few but i would no way put the loss on him, he did make some good plays out there

that last throw in the endzone was a very tough play to make

Reed choked

Ty Carter was abused

we lose

oh well

GodofGridiron
09-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Of course the ball was wet. But how come Knox and Hester and Olsen and company caught wet balls ? Wet ball or not, you make those catches. Santonio wants to be great, he needs to make those catches....those passes were made in stride and no way should he drop those. Wet balls arent an excuse because the other team played with the same wet elements.

HometownGal
09-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Except I don't get paid millions of dollars to do just that. It really looks like at this point it's Ben plus 52 guys they found on the street.

Don't fall jumping off that bandwagon buddy.

Steel_Bus_24
09-20-2009, 06:21 PM
I saw this s*** coming the way the media was piling on the bears.......all the fans runnin around pounding their chests saying we'd have cutlers head on a swivel

I hate this crap

Thanks Santonio and Jeff.....

Lets face it they played like the 2006 steelers today

all fat and happy...no killer instinct

Neil-Still-Rules-14
09-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Don't fall jumping off that bandwagon buddy.

I never said I'm not a Steeler fan anymore. I still think they will win the Super Bowl, though 16-0 is no longer, which I predicted. The entire team just looked like crap outside of Ben. The fact that they're wearing Steelers uniforms doesn't change that.

X-Terminator
09-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Lets face it they played like the 2006 steelers today

all fat and happy...no killer instinct

Are you kidding me? After ONE LOSS???

Yeah, it's going to be a long friggin week. The boneheads are going to be out in full force.

HometownGal
09-20-2009, 06:25 PM
I never said I'm not a Steeler fan anymore. I still think they will win the Super Bowl, though 16-0 is no longer, which I predicted. The entire team just looked like crap outside of Ben. The fact that they're wearing Steelers uniforms doesn't change that.

You're acting like a bandwagon jumper - sorry, but you are.

I have NO expectations of this team other than going out there every week and giving it their all. In that aspect, I'm disappointed, as I don't believe they gave it their all today. They aren't going to play lights out every week and I'm football wise and mature enough to realize that and move on.

I bleed black and gold
09-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Sure the ball is wet, but a superstar makes some of those catches that went through Santonio's fingers.

Clearly Reed is at fault, and I think he may have realized he cost himself a bucket of $--pretty sure he was weeping on the sidelines.

No doubt the D missed TP, but if the strip by Harrison bounces a little different then Reed probably redeems himself on try #3.

NE and TE lost, and although Cin and the Ratbirds won the impact of the loss isn't so bad, and let's be honest, da Bears were really lucky to walk away with the win. The running game showed up a bit too. Looking forward to next Sunday.

Edman
09-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Santo was fine.

Reed was definately brutal.

LukesDad88
09-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Hey, look at the bright side, Reed's contract demands just took a hit.

Kittyfish
09-20-2009, 06:31 PM
I confess - it was my fault we lost. Y'all can go ahead and blame me. I halfway knew we were going to lose before the game even started, once the Pats fell to the Jets. I was rooting for the Jets to win and the Football Gods never grant me two wishes on the same day. Sigh. Mea culpa.

All in all, a day of surprises. Onward and upward. I hate that the Ravens will be ahead of us in the division but the world will not be coming to an end over it. Now, if we lose to the Bengals next week, I might be singing a different tune. :-)

T&B fan
09-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Hey, look at the bright side, Reed's contract demands just took a hit.

"Demands " now I think that might not be a word used next time he signs on the line .

bad day for us , but where 1 and 1 with the bunggles comeing up next week . .the cure for our ills

SteelerEmpire
09-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Neither Reed or Holmes did not show up...... sad....

stillers4me
09-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Blaming Reed?? Come on, people! We drove down the field twice and left 2 TD's on the field. We should NEVER have to rely on our kicker to win games, and then put the blame on him when we lose. That's weak.

X-Terminator
09-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Blaming Reed?? Come on, people! We drove down the field twice and left 2 TD's on the field. We should NEVER have to rely on our kicker to win games, and then put the blame on him when we lose. That's weak.

That may be, but they still pay Reed to make those kicks. Think anyone in Tennessee would like Rob Bironas to have those 2 kicks back last week? The kicker is part of the team just like everyone else. He should NOT be exempt from scrutiny simply because the offense didn't finish drives.

Christian Snyder
09-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Santanio dropped 3 very makeable catches and Reed missed two field goals. Enough said. Poor game. :banging:
Hometowngal said it best..."If you want to call a 5 catch, 83 yard performance "brutal", you need a seeing eye dog. The ball was WET - let's see how many water logged balls you drop."

stillers4me
09-20-2009, 07:24 PM
That may be, but they still pay Reed to make those kicks. Think anyone in Tennessee would like Rob Bironas to have those 2 kicks back last week? The kicker is part of the team just like everyone else. He should NOT be exempt from scrutiny simply because the offense didn't finish drives.

And we also pay Ben and the offense to score touchdowns when we're in the redzone. This is not all Reed's fault.

Also read that Jeff has been nursing a bum foot since training camp. I wonder how much that was a factor. It's not like we keep a backup kicker.

X-Terminator
09-20-2009, 07:27 PM
And we also pay Ben and the offense to score touchdowns when we're in the redzone. This is not all Reed's fault.

Also read that Jeff has been nursing a bum foot since training camp. I wonder how much that was a factor. It's not like we keep a backup kicker.

Again, that may be, but Reed still has to make those kicks. Period. Yes, the offense gets some criticism for not getting a TD, but that does not and should not exempt Reed from criticism.

devilsdancefloor
09-20-2009, 07:28 PM
if you thought we where gonna go 16-0 you need to put the crack pipe down now and walk away. I blame not 1 person but all those who plyed we left alot of points on the field and then allowed the bears to stay in the game. Today they beat us at our own game. BUT on the bright side of things the oline pick up blitzes and kemo was pulling really well. So get over yourselves it just proves the steelers are human.Maybe we needed a lose to get our focus back. we are going to need it the ratbirds are 2-0 & bungles are 1-1 and we play them next week. They seem to have found a running game and carson looks as though he was throwing well today. Here we go steelers here we go!

Steelerstrength
09-20-2009, 07:37 PM

This is Professional Football! Jeff Reed gets paid to do one thing for a living, and that's kick the ball! Either through the uprights, on extra points or field goals, and kick offs! He's a professional and that's is his job! He gets paid over a million a year to perform, and perform well he has. His past performance has allowed him to keep his job, and it is a very demanding one.

I'm not giving up on Reed, but he does deserve the blame for missing two easy kicks. We have relied on his field goals because of our lack of ability to put the ball in the end zone, and that's no secret. Many games are won or lost by field goals, and they will forever be a huge part of every game. After all, a win is a win. (Why else would we have kicked a field goal in overtime, from the 15 yd line, on first down?!) Last week is only one example of how much we rely on our kicking game.

I have major confidence in Reed, and know he will step-up in many more games than he will ever lose. Last week I loved having him as our kicker, but this week he deserves the blame, because he had an off day.

Robby Gould made it look pretty easy, if you ask me.

stb_steeler
09-20-2009, 07:39 PM

Thats right!...what happened to the offense after the first quarter?... Pass, dunk, run. Everything was working then what? willie an Mendy were starting to pick it up, then all of the sudden it was pass, pass, pass....I dont get the play calling.

mmalone
09-20-2009, 07:42 PM
"Demands " now I think that might not be a word used next time he signs on the line .

bad day for us , but where 1 and 1 with the bunggles comeing up next week . .the cure for our ills

Wow.... The Pack beat the Bears... The Bears Beat Us.....

The Bengals beat the Pack..... We beat the Bengals???

The Titans Lose to the Texans????

We need to score more than 24 points a game to stay ahead of the League right???

Wow......

Texasteel
09-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Nobody ever takes all of the blame, but Reed takes the vast majority of the blame today.

We lost by three, he cost us six.

The defense cost us 10 on the last 2 drives. Rave on, you will be telling us how great Reed is the next time he puts through the game winning FG.

Preacher
09-20-2009, 07:48 PM
There are a number of places where we lost the game. We lost the game with Reed-6 points.

We lost the game with Santo dropping the pass in the endzone 7 points.

We lost with our D not flocking to the guy with the ball (otherwise, we would have picked up the fumble).

We lost with our offense not able to punch in another TD.

We lost with our defense not being able to stop any one of those drives.

Funny thing. Next week, one of them will probably step up and win the game for us again. Week after that, another one of them would do the same thing.

So am I upset we lost? Yeah, for about 20 minutes. Then I worry about REAL LIFE.

Texasteel
09-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Wow.... The Pack beat the Bears... The Bears Beat Us.....

The Bengals beat the Pack..... We beat the Bengals???

The Titans Lose to the Texans????

We need to score more than 24 points a game to stay ahead of the League right???

Wow......

No. You just need to hold the other team to under 21.

LVSteelersfan
09-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Hey, the bright side to this game was it looked to me like Arians called a great game for a change. From beginning to end (except that one third and 2) I liked the play calling. It is not always easy to play in the rain. Polomolu's absence was blatantly obvious. The Patsies lost and looked like crap for the second week in a row. Not all is bad with the world. The team will buck up and be ready to rock Carson Palmer's world next week.

Steeldude
09-20-2009, 08:11 PM
a pretty poor team effort all around. got to hand it to the bears. they hung in there and got the W. no excuses here.

if holmes wants to be considered an elite WR in the NFL then he needs to make those catches, wet or dry. the pass in the endzone went through his hands untouched. he did make some good plays too, but it's times like this that separate the great WRs from the average WRs.

on to next week. they can't underestimate the bengals

HometownGal
09-20-2009, 09:45 PM
I dont get the play calling.

The playcalling was great imho - the O just didn't execute. There's that dreaded E word again. :horror: :chuckle:

stillers - you've got it 100% right. Skippy isn't getting a free pass from me but championship calibre teams shouldn't have to rely upon their K to win games for them game in and game out. Reed won the game for us last week and fubared this week - shit happens. Ben is being paid a king's ransom to lead that O and he has the talented targets to toss that pigskin to and as much as I hate saying it - he had a subpar performance tonight and didn't look like the Ben we all know and love.

steelpride12
09-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Another troll thread. You go out and catch wet balls with defenders breathing down your neck in the rain. Holmes still had 83 yards receiving with the drops and I rate his performance just fine IMO.
Reed yes we all know he had an off game, but hey its Skippy he will be back!

The Lakelander
09-20-2009, 10:09 PM

I agree. It would be nice to handle the business without having to go there time and again.

If it isn't Reed we rely on then it's Ben' late heroics.

Therefore, this was a "team" loss.

You win as a team ... you lose as a team.

Tomlin will not allow for the blame to be pinned on Reed ... I guarantee it.

pancake
09-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Reed did not play well.

The O could not punch the ball in...

The D allowed long drives, and the game winner...

Team loss...

X-Terminator
09-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Let me just clarify the point I made earlier: I was NOT pinning the loss on Reed. I was simply pointing out that a kicker of Reed's status should be expected to make those kicks, and therefore he should not be completely blameless. I absolutely agree that this is a team loss, with plenty of blame to go around.

KeiselPower99
09-20-2009, 10:36 PM
Arians???

tony hipchest
09-20-2009, 10:39 PM

jeff reed- ST player of the week for week 1.

the rest of the team played below standards too.

The Lakelander
09-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Let me just clarify the point I made earlier: I was NOT pinning the loss on Reed. I was simply pointing out that a kicker of Reed's status should be expected to make those kicks, and therefore he should not be completely blameless. I absolutely agree that this is a team loss, with plenty of blame to go around.

He gets paid to make kicks. We likely win this game if even he makes one of those.

We pulled out a Buffalo today. :laughing:

Reed's yard won't get trashed .... will it?

Preacher
09-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Arians???

:doh:

I think he is probably the LEAST culpable for this loss. LeBeau is actually on the hook more for this loss than Arians. We HAD the right play called for 2 more TD's. One went through Santo's hands (said it a few times now), another one was upset by Starks guy hitting Ben and causing the Turnover (if I rmeember right, a decent throw is a sure 6).

GodofGridiron
09-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Avg human beings arent expected to go out and make catches. So those of you clamouring for those criticizing Holmes for dropping wet balls just stop it. The worlds best athletes are paid very good money to do what they do. This is why THEY are on the roster and WE are emotional cheerleaders. Im not expected to make that catch. SANTONIO is and SHOULD. No two ways about it. WR's caught wet balls all game long.

Preacher
09-20-2009, 10:51 PM
jeff reed- ST player of the week for week 1.

the rest of the team played below standards too.

didn't sep try a few field goals? I wonder if the plan is to let him try to hit a 50 plus at the end of a game for a win?

Pi Kapp Steeler
09-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Watching that game i cant really say we got "BEAT" . Reed simply had a bad game. 6 points that could of been. If he makes that field goal at the end of the 4th i got 100% confidence that our defense holds em and we win the game.

I think Ben looked great, and the offensive line held there own.

The bears just made sure that they capitalized on our mistakes.

We gotta start winning tho... cause we dont want Baltimore to run away with the division...

btw side note. Patriots lost and look horrible!!! haha

lukas
09-21-2009, 12:06 AM
I didn't bother to read anything prior to the first page, so I apologize if I'm repeating something someone else already said.

We fell into a rut, a pattern, and we got too complacent. How has a typical Steelers game gone the last year or two?

1) Really sluggish beginning. Running game is anemic, Ben flubs alot of easy throws.
2) Defense keeps the game close, so it's generally a low-scoring game where both offenses struggle. Ours struggles because we're nothing exceptional, and it takes a quarter or two for us to get our game in top-gear. Opponent's offenses struggle because our defense is that superb. So it's just a sloppy, low-scoring game.
3) Game goes down to the wire. You can guarantee a 3 and out by the Steeler's D or a takeaway that gives the offense one last drive.
4) This is where Ben shines, and the entire offense completely clicks into an elite and explosive passing offense.
5) Game is won by a miracle throw by Ben or a clutch kick by Jeff.

This game, the first 2 happened. The last 3 didn't. I think we just assumed the D would stop them, BR would put together a clutch last-minute drive, or that Reed would kick it in.

That thinking is what lost us the game, I think. And this complete drop-off in edginess towards the late second-half of the game is occurring more and more at an alarming rate. It seems to be happening more and more, especially with the defense. It's kinda nuts how "normal" it seems for the Steelers D to be unstoppable the first 3 and a half quarters, and get torched in 5-10 minutes, forcing a BR comeback drive.

But that's all fine, really, it is.

I'd rather lose like this early on in the season against a non-divisional opponent, and wake our team up, then to just half-ass wins over teams and have that wake-up call loss when it really matters, and when nothing can be done about it.

Our Offense Line is a really cohesive unit now. It looks nothing like it did last year. They're giving Ben quite a bit more time. They're opening holes. And this is game 2. They'll further improve on their teamwork from last year as the season goes on. They'll only get better.

Running game looked pretty good, especially on the wet grass.

I see more good things than bad things, to be honest. And even when everything went wrong with the Steelers today, it still came down to the wire. With Santonio dropping passes, with Jeff Reed missing two field goals, with the Steelers D bending over for Cutler the last two drives, without Polamalu, without Sweed, and with Ben playing fairly stupidly at times, the game still came down within a field goal and was a winnable game.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

But again, that's just me.

Hines0wnz
09-21-2009, 12:15 AM
There are a number of places where we lost the game. We lost the game with Reed-6 points.

We lost the game with Santo dropping the pass in the endzone 7 points.

We lost with our D not flocking to the guy with the ball (otherwise, we would have picked up the fumble).

We lost with our offense not able to punch in another TD.

We lost with our defense not being able to stop any one of those drives.

Funny thing. Next week, one of them will probably step up and win the game for us again. Week after that, another one of them would do the same thing.

So am I upset we lost? Yeah, for about 20 minutes. Then I worry about REAL LIFE.

I agree with you and I will make another point; they lost because Jay Cutler got a good lesson in the 3-4 defense last week against GB. He had a week to study that game to prepare for this game and like him or not, Cutler is a top 10 QB in this league. I say he adjusted well.

Steeldude
09-21-2009, 02:50 AM
reed's kicking this season (pre-season too) has looked bad. his FG/XP attempts appear to be low and being pushed left.

ricksteelers55
09-21-2009, 02:59 AM
at least it wasnt Mike Vanderjagt in AFC Championship

OneForTheToe
09-21-2009, 03:42 AM

You do realize that both teams get paid millions of dollars to play? So you think that other than Ben (who did play well, IMO) there are no great player on this team. You didn't see Farrior running all over the place smacking people? Harrison , he is a waste? Hines, just another guy? I could go on but then you might miss the band wagon for your next team. I hear Dallas has room available in "Jerry Land."

BritishSteel
09-21-2009, 03:53 AM
It's just one loss - we were below-par last night but as a few other people have said, we were never going to go 16-0 this season. Reed blew up, it happens sometimes, and he's still well in credit as a kicker for us. Everyone has an off day. Learn from it and move on. He wasn't the only culprit either - but we win as a team and we should lose as a team. its OUR way.

And if we were going to lose, best it happens to a non-division, non-conference rival.

Galax Steeler
09-21-2009, 04:06 AM

I agree there was alot of mistakes made. Reed missed 2 field goals not just one but two. He was having a bad night a kicking and we lost. Hopefully he will get this behind him and be ready for next week.

Lambertfan
09-21-2009, 07:26 AM
HometownGal I heard Merril Hoge last year say it takes a while for the O line to gel and he was right it is early and as my son said this game was the game of last year, They will get better with practice...Let the band wagoners jump..theyw ill be back on the nest game...with some splinters....:tt02::tt02::tt03::tt::drink::drink:: applaudit:

CPanther95
09-21-2009, 07:32 AM
I never said I'm not a Steeler fan anymore.

From your screen name, I assumed you were a Cowboys fan.

steelballs
09-21-2009, 07:32 AM
Second game of the season....had 10 days to prepare....laid an egg. The game was lost by the team...nothing more, nothing less.

We'll get well next week.

Texasteel
09-21-2009, 08:00 AM
Second game of the season....had 10 days to prepare....laid an egg. The game was lost by the team...nothing more, nothing less.

We'll get well next week.

That pretty much says it, plain and simple. 1 and 1, 14 games to go.

GO GET UM BOYZ.

TackleMeBen
09-21-2009, 08:18 AM
maybe the 10 day lay off had something to do with it. you win some and you lose some.. and as long as we win against the the division opponents, i am fine with this loss.

you had to know that cutler wouldnt be as bad as he was in GB.

steelballs
09-21-2009, 08:43 AM
maybe the 10 day lay off had something to do with it. you win some and you lose some.. and as long as we win against the the division opponents, i am fine with this loss.

you had to know that cutler wouldnt be as bad as he was in GB.

Cutler's a good QB. If he had played like he did in GB we'd all be happy this morning.
Unfortunately, he didn't (as expected) and now it's on to next week.

eafratitpm3
09-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Cutler's a good QB. If he had played like he did in GB we'd all be happy this morning.

No matter how good our D is supposed to be we tend to make other teams look better than they are. I expect the Bears to be an average team this year and if teams defense Cutler like GB did by taking away the underneath stuff Cutler will not look as good as the Steelers and the Media are making him out to be today.

stlrtruck
09-21-2009, 09:04 AM
It amazes me that people today are crying, "Jeff Reed lost this game for us" but last week it was all about, "The Steelers winning" How quickly we have forgotten that last week Rob Bironas missed two very makable FGs in the game.

So please, one of the cryers explain to me which one it is:

A) Bironas cost the Titans the game last week and Reed cost us the game this week

or

B) We won last week and the bears won this week

Sorry but you can't have it both ways!

Kittyfish
09-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Great point, stlrtruck. You are absolutely correct.

jjpro11
09-21-2009, 09:24 AM

he got us in Denver too.. maybe he is just one of those QBs that has our number like Kerry Collins, Steve McNair, and whoever else.

GodofGridiron
09-21-2009, 10:38 AM
It amazes me that people today are crying, "Jeff Reed lost this game for us" but last week it was all about, "The Steelers winning" How quickly we have forgotten that last week Rob Bironas missed two very makable FGs in the game.

So please, one of the cryers explain to me which one it is:

A) Bironas cost the Titans the game last week and Reed cost us the game this week

or

B) We won last week and the bears won this week

Sorry but you can't have it both ways!

Im with Mike Tomlin..i dont believe in moral victories. AND YOU CAN PIN the loss on Jeff Reed. Yeah, win as a team lose as a team sounds good..its a unified front, but Reed missed TWO makeable field goals. All we needed was one. Just one. Not trying to rain on Reed (no pun intended) but when your offense drives that ball down for what SHOULD be a game clinching FG, you must execute. This one got away.

Im dont care about Bironas or the Pats or anyone else. I expect...EXPECT this team to play like the world champions they are. And that goes from Ben all the way down to the longsnapper. Worry about what WE CONTROL.

markymarc
09-21-2009, 04:25 PM
To me the Bears loss is on Reed and the defense. Jeff Reed is still money IMO, but he missed 2 make-able FGs yesterday. Also, the defense could NOT stop Cutler and the offense when they needed to.