PDA

View Full Version : DON'T BLAME JEFF REED, THIS IS TOMLIN'S FAULT!

Steelboy84
09-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Our offense was moving the ball! Why not let Ben and the offense go for it on 4th and 2? At worst, if we didn't get it, the Bears offense would not have had the same field position!

So DO NOT BLAME JEFF REED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T Bradshaw
09-20-2009, 06:12 PM
LOL

Its all on Jeff Reed

I have said this before I have no confidance in this guy kicking FGs of over 40 yards

I cant believe Reed did sign the contract steelers offered him because he wants R Gould type of deal

bigjamesharrison2
09-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Why should we not blame him? He missed a 35 yard field goal. Thats terrible.

Steelers
So, what about the other one he missed?

Ricco Suavez
4th and 2 with our recent track record of 4th down conversions. you kick the fg.

truesteelerfan
09-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Are you kidding me? Did you watch the game? Jeff's job is to kick the ball thru the posts....Our Offense got him in position to do his job...he blew it. Tomlin and his team got the ball to a place where one guy (Reed) had a chance to win it....twice...and he blew it

bigjamesharrison2
09-20-2009, 06:14 PM
4th and 2 with our recent track record of 4th down conversions. you kick the fg.

Exactly.

SteelersinCA
09-20-2009, 06:15 PM
I blame Reed.

fansince'76
Find another bandwagon, kid. :coffee:

steelreserve
Well, if I was the coach I would've gone for it, but mostly to try and cover the spread. If I ever run into Reed, he better give me my $50 back before I say he deserves a pay raise.

Steel12
09-20-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm still in shock...gave this game away thanks to Jeff!!!

HometownGal
09-20-2009, 06:17 PM

:applaudit::hatsoff::applaudit:

Sad as it is - this is the new generation of Steelers fans. :horror:

GET A FREAKIN' GRIP youngins - all good football teams lose a game here and there. It isn't the end of the season nor the end of the world.

truesteelerfan
Gone for it to cover the spread....OK...I've been here long enough to suspect, but please Steelreserve....you're kidding right?

Steel Head
Our offense was moving the ball! Why not let Ben and the offense go for it on 4th and 2? At worst, if we didn't get it, the Bears offense would not have had the same field position!

seriously?

go for it on 4th and 2?

that would have been the dumbest call ever

T Bradshaw
09-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Well, if I was the coach I would've gone for it, but mostly to try and cover the spread. If I ever run into Reed, he better give me my $50 back before I say he deserves a pay raise.

I had $800 on the Chicago +3, was hoping we win by a safety

Next week I am on the Ben-gals

Kid, super bowl champs are terrible vs the spead the follwing year, they are overpriced, every team wants to beat and play their best vs the SB champs

Please give me +6 on the Ben-gals

Steelboy84
09-20-2009, 06:20 PM

Bandwagon? Are you kidding me?

fansince'76
09-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Bandwagon? Are you kidding me?

No, I'm not.

Hapa
09-20-2009, 06:22 PM
That's easy to say after the game, try being in Mike Tomlin's spot at the time... what call are you going to make.

Steel12
09-20-2009, 06:22 PM
:applaudit::hatsoff::applaudit:

Sad as it is - this is the new generation of Steelers fans. :horror:

GET A FREAKIN' GRIP youngins - all good football teams lose a game here and there. It isn't the end of the season nor the end of the world.

Nobody said it was the end of the season or the world but it does suck when you lose to a team you should beat. Has nothing to do with any generation of fans. Jeff Reed blew the game.

Steelboy84
09-20-2009, 06:24 PM
No, I'm not.

Yea, I bet you wish you still could be a kid. LMAO

tony hipchest
09-20-2009, 06:25 PM
*flushes toilet*

Steelboy84
09-20-2009, 06:25 PM
No, I'm not.

Try not to suck up all the social security from us young people you here?

fansince'76
09-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Try not to suck up all the social security from us young people you here?

Change your Pampers, kid. :binky:

Steelboy84
09-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Change your Pampers, kid. :binky:

lol

Pretty soon you're the one that will be needing them.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

7SteelGal43
09-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Of course Tomlin made the right call. Of course you go for the FG. I can't believe we're having this discussion.

Steelboy84
09-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Been a Steelers fan for 17 years. But then again, I'm only 24. I'm not an old man.

ricksteelers55
09-20-2009, 06:29 PM
this one is on Reed true !

but last week we didnt deserve it and won.

We put that one behind us and let's bring cincy

Hotrodder07
It's impossible to blame the loss on just 1 guy, but I do have to say this, I did not like the call on that 3rd and 2 before the missed kick. You only need 2 yards, and your objective is to go on a long drive to run out the clock. Why go for it all on that play? I know, it was in Santonio's hands, and it was a great pass, but still, why risk it?

It could have been a touchdown, though, and everyone, including me, would be praising the call. But, looking back, I say that we should have called something a bit more conservative. Oh well. On to week 3.

fansince'76
Been a Steelers fan for 17 years. But then again, I'm only 24. I'm not an old man.

Here, have a cookie. :cookie:

X-Terminator
09-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Wait, how the hell is this Tomlin's fault? Was he the one out there kicking the FGs? I don't think so. The offense got them in position to kick the FGs, and since they have a usually reliable kicker, they decided to turn it over to him. I'd have done the same thing in that situation. How were they to anticipate that he'd miss both of them?

Steelboy84
09-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Here, have a cookie. :cookie:

Missing those young days much? You're calling someone a bandwagoner and don't know anyone on here. Wow. Some life you must have.

fansince'76
09-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Missing those young days much? You're calling someone a bandwagoner and don't know anyone on here. Wow. Some life you must have.

I'm not the one whining bitching and complaining like a spoiled brat. Unlike you, this isn't going to ruin my entire week because I have a life.

Steelboy84
09-20-2009, 06:32 PM
If we go for it and don't get it, the Bears have to go farther to get in field position. If we get it, we could have sealed the game up. That's why I put this on Tomlin.

Steelboy84
09-20-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm not the one whining bitching and complaining like a spoiled brat.

Say what you want dude, we should have gone for it on 4th down.

7SteelGal43
09-20-2009, 06:33 PM

hey noob, ya might wanna check yourself. you're 'bout to get a beatdown like u ain't never experienced.

X-Terminator
09-20-2009, 06:34 PM
If we go for it and don't get it, the Bears have to go farther to get in field position. If we get it, we could have sealed the game up. That's why I put this on Tomlin.

OK, so what if they go for it, and given the conditions, one of the backs fumble or Ben throws a pick?

No. You kick the FG there every time. Any other decision would have been flat-out stupid.

LukesDad88
09-20-2009, 06:35 PM
37 Pass plays called, 20 runs.

That's why we lost.

Stlrs4Life
09-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Jeff Reed definateky blew this game.

X-Terminator
09-20-2009, 06:37 PM

That's why we lost.

The Bears threw 38 times and ran just 16.

Your point?

Steelboy84
09-20-2009, 06:38 PM
hey noob, ya might wanna check yourself. you're 'bout to get a beatdown like u ain't never experienced.

Oh great, an Internet threat. *sigh*

T Bradshaw
It's impossible to blame the loss on just 1 guy, but I do have to say this, I did not like the call on that 3rd and 2 before the missed kick. You only need 2 yards, and your objective is to go on a long drive to run out the clock. Why go for it all on that play? I know, it was in Santonio's hands, and it was a great pass, but still, why risk it?

It could have been a touchdown, though, and everyone, including me, would be praising the call. But, looking back, I say that we should have called something a bit more conservative. Oh well. On to week 3.

BINGO!!
We did not need a TD win the game

I am sure if we rin the 2 times we get 3 yards even with the shitty OL that we have

our ave/run was over 3 yards today

Steel12

That's why we lost.

I disagree...our offense gets yards through the passing game. Our running game is horrible even though we showed some signs of life today.

Fire Haley
09-20-2009, 06:39 PM
I blame Jeff Reed.

SteelerFanInStl
09-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Kicking the FG was the correct call.

Steelboy84
09-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Well I don't agree, but we all have our own opinions.

sharkweek
09-20-2009, 06:44 PM
lol, I hate to say it, but this is perfect ammo for those not wanting the Steelers to pay him Gould type money

even the best kickers have their off days, paying them more money doesn't change a thing

GridironWarrior
09-20-2009, 06:45 PM
i blame the whole team. It's 06 all over. There is no fire. Run game sucks and the D is flat. 2 sacks in 2 games.

ricksteelers55
09-20-2009, 06:46 PM
and if we dont convert the 4th and 2 and lose that game people would put it on Tomlin too sayin...we should have kicked the FG Reed is a sure shot

it's tough to be a HC in the NFL....people will always blame you

keep doing your good job Mike,you're da man

sharkweek
09-20-2009, 06:48 PM
The Bears threw 38 times and ran just 16.

Your point?

unless he meant we should have passed 57 times and run 0, he is an idiot.

running it more wouldn't have done anything, our RBs were getting tackled immediately yet again...nothing they can do

Ricco Suavez
09-20-2009, 06:53 PM
i blame the whole team. It's 06 all over. There is no fire. Run game sucks and the D is flat. 2 sacks in 2 games.

Dude go back in your hole. You're not happy unless you can gripe or complain bout the Team. I haven't read this many posts from you since the Superbowl.

SteelerEmpire
09-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Reed missed 2 FG's WELL within his range..... he went A hole on us today....

SteelTalons
09-20-2009, 06:59 PM

That late and the game, score that close. 4th and 2... You kick the damn FG. Had Tomlin went for it and it failed you'd probably have blamed Arians/Tomlin for it. It was the safest decision to make at the time, even though it didn't work.

Christian Snyder
09-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Every one has their good games and their bad games, Reed was having a bad one. It was raining on 1 (maybe both) of his FG attempts, that might have affected him.:noidea: At first I was mad at him but them I realized it was one game, there are 14 more games to come.

Go Steelers!!!!:tt::tt02:

mesaSteeler
09-20-2009, 07:03 PM

That's why we lost.

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

Poz911
09-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Are you kidding me? Did you watch the game? Jeff's job is to kick the ball thru the posts....Our Offense got him in position to do his job...he blew it. Tomlin and his team got the ball to a place where one guy (Reed) had a chance to win it....twice...and he blew it

AGREED!

WHY IS THERE ALL THIS TALK OF HOW THE STEELERS PLAYED SHITTY? OVERALL, THEY HAD A SOLID GAME. BUT THE WHOLE FACT OF THE MATTER IS THAT JEFF REED BLEW IT. OFFENSE DID THEIR JOB, GOT THE BALL IN RANGE FOR REED TWICE....

MAYBE HE THREW THE GAME! J/K

BUT REALLY, SHOULDNT HAVE MISSED TWICE

GridironWarrior
09-20-2009, 07:10 PM
The D has been weak the 1st 2 weeks. Where is our pressure and sacks? And my gosh Ike and Gay are playing subpar.

Christian Snyder
09-20-2009, 07:13 PM
The D has been weak the 1st 2 weeks. Where is our pressure and sacks? And my gosh Ike and Gay are playing subpar.
Well said.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-20-2009, 07:14 PM

Maybe because Jeff Reed is usuall money!!!! Dont blame anyone... We lost!:banging:

SteelerEmpire
09-20-2009, 07:16 PM
REED REED REED....... COME ON MAN..... WTF !?!?!?!?

Chris Lipiec
09-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Calm down everybody. There is a long way to go.

Mike Wallace should have run for the first down on second down.

Instead he ran out of bounds. Santonio dropped at least three passes.

Ben missed open receivers. Willie missed some holes. The kick return man

fumbled. It was a team loss. Time to worry about the Bungals.

They will think they are playing in the Super Bowl this week.

msafford
09-20-2009, 07:32 PM

I figured it was time.

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/14576471/330295574.jpg

relax, man. There's 14 games left.

Christian Snyder
09-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Msafford,:sofunny::toofunny::rofl::chuckle: :laughing:

Leftoverhard
09-20-2009, 07:42 PM
That one was all Reed - both times (it hurts a little to say that), both times... I like him - but he choked so hard, you could see him on the sideline trying to give himself a mental heimlich maneuver before that last kick off.
Someone else noted the 4th down conversion idea. Not a good idea, I agree. We haven't done well with those for a while, plus, what kind of coach are you if you don't have confidence in your best kicker? He's a great coach but he's not psychic, Reed should have made them - both of them.

You win some, you lose some - the sky is absolutely not going to fall. It was a pretty good game until the end.

The Steelers rule! :tt03:

LVSteelersfan
09-20-2009, 07:43 PM
That was definitely a rookie mistake running out of bounds. Holmes, Heath or Hines turn that into a first down. End of game. That 3rd and 2 play call was stupid. I thought they should have thrown a quick short pass to pick it up. Or run it to the right side where they seemed to have some success today. This is why field goal kickers are not worth paying millions of dollars. They can miss at any time and they do at the worst times. I do believe he nails that on a dry field though. Robbie Gould is money but still not worth what he makes.

desertsteel
09-20-2009, 07:45 PM

That's just retarded

Indo
09-20-2009, 07:46 PM
First of all--

You KICK THE FIELD GOAL----every time. You go for the "SURE" points (which weren't sure today).
BUT, you can't blame just Reed.

Our d-backfield was like Swiss Cheese today.
(Makes you realize just how important Troy really is...)

Any given Sunday...

On a positive note---
The o-line was playing like it has something to prove. And it did well...
Willie and Mendy both looked good
The play-calling was PERFECT

X-Terminator
09-20-2009, 07:46 PM
That one was all Reed - both times (it hurts a little to say that), both times... I like him - but he choked so hard, you could see him on the sideline trying to give himself a mental heimlich maneuver before that last kick off.
Someone else noted the 4th down conversion idea. Not a good idea, I agree. We haven't done well with those for a while, plus, what kind of coach are you if you don't have confidence in your best kicker? He's a great coach but he's not psychic, Reed should have made them - both of them.

You win some, you lose some - the sky is absolutely not going to fall. It was a pretty good game until the end.

The Steelers rule! :tt03:

THANK YOU! :applaudit:

Nice to see someone around here giving off some good vibes! But again, I must give you 50 lashes with a wet noodle for even thinking this post before putting fingers to keyboard. No positivity allowed!

:chuckle::drink:

steel9guy
09-20-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm not gonna get mad at Jeff Reed because everyone seems to be forgetting all of the games he's won for us in the past. He's usually money. The Steelers will be fine, just poor play calling and team effort.

Indo
09-20-2009, 07:51 PM
ANOTHER positive note

Hines needs only 63 yards receiving to make 10,000!
:tt03:

vindrow
09-20-2009, 07:52 PM
This loss is on the whole team from the coaches on down....the entire team looked pathetic out there.

Leftoverhard
09-20-2009, 07:56 PM
THANK YOU! :applaudit:

Nice to see someone around here giving off some good vibes! But again, I must give you 50 lashes with a wet noodle for even thinking this post before putting fingers to keyboard. No positivity allowed!

:chuckle::drink:

Ouch! 50! Damn all you wet noodles, you're right, the Steelers will never win another game! (was that negative enough to qualify me for chicken little status?) :drink:

Rick5895
09-20-2009, 07:57 PM
I haven't read all the different pages, but a couple of things stand out to me in this game. Holmes didn't look into the game, dropping sure catches hurt. On Ben's pick, Wallace didn't even make an attempt to came to the under thrown ball (rookie mistake) But something I thought was huge, Harrisons roughing the passer penalty in the end zone. Instead of it being 2nd at 10 from the 3 it was 1st and 10 from the 18. Overall I thought the Steelers were a better team, just a couple of breakdowns that I know will be fixed. This is a game I won't get too upset about losing, it will serve to re focus us as we prepare for Cinci and the Chargers.

vindrow
09-20-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm somewhat excited by your post.. Not sure why?!!! :flap:

Hey now, keep you mind on the Steelers and I will keep my eyes on my avatar.

X-Terminator
09-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Ouch! 50! Damn all you wet noodles, you're right, the Steelers will never win another game! (was that negative enough to qualify me for chicken little status?) :drink:

There, that's better! Now don't do it again! :chuckle: :drink:

devilsdancefloor
09-20-2009, 08:06 PM
dbl post

devilsdancefloor
09-20-2009, 08:07 PM
http://i34.tinypic.com/2po2res.jpg

you blame tomlin???

Steeldude
09-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Why not let Ben and the offense go for it on 4th and 2?

probably because the steelers have a very poor O-line and BR was not passing well.

steelerchad
09-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Look, This ones definately on Reed.

There were alot of other plays that could have been made throughout the game that could of also given us the win. But in the end, he missed 2 makeable field goals with the game on the line (38,42). Then his counterpart, who supposedly is not as good as Reed, nails a longer 44 yard field goal with his only chance to win it.

Now Jeff has won us alot of games, and is usually clutch as well. The footing was obviously bad, so I'm willing to give him a pass this week. If it happens again this season, he shouldn't get as much slack. Reed has been a rock for us the last 5 years or so, much like Hines Ward, both consistent performers. If Reed doesn't kick the overtime winner last week, Hines is the goat with that fumble. I don't think as many people would be willing to throw Hines under the bus so quickly. I think he would have deserved a break from the fans, just as Reed does now.

As for going for it on 4th and 2, that's basically rediculous. Even a power running, great short yardage team wouldn't have done that. We are not even close to a power running team the last 2 years. For the guy that wanted to go for it. Have you seen how many times we get stuffed on 3rd or 4th and less that 1. Come on, when you're in field goal range and tied you kick the damn ball.

Steeldude
09-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Hey now, keep you mind on the Steelers and I will keep my eyes on my avatar.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: excellent avatar :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Leftoverhard
09-20-2009, 08:20 PM
I blame Tomlin's mother. She made him. :wink02:

I can just see the front page of newspapers everywhere tomorrow:

What could Tomlin's mom have done differently to make him go for it on 4th down in a tie game instead of the rediculous choice of (gasp!) field goal?

jjpro11
09-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Reed lost the game, plain and simple.. sure, the offense could have converted and punched it in themselves, but sometimes defenses step up and prevent that from happening.. whenever that happens, it's the kicker's job to stroll out on the field, kick his 3 pointer, and stroll back off. Lord knows we have benefited from missed field goals a number of times over the past few years.. this time the kicking game didn't go our way. Reed is going to have to shake it off and come back next week.

fansince'76
09-20-2009, 08:25 PM
If Reed doesn't kick the overtime winner last week, Hines is the goat with that fumble. I don't think as many people would be willing to throw Hines under the bus so quickly.

Sorry, I disagree. If we'd have wound up losing that game, there would have been plenty of people on Hines' case all week with "Should Hines hang them up?" threads and posts.

OX1947
09-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Anyone who thinks this was Tomlin's fault is a freakin idiot. Sorry. Steelers PLAYERS lost this game. The habit of allowing 12 yard sacks on 3rd and goal caught up with them in this game, not being able to block for 1 god dang second on a run play, Santonio dropping 3 balls, one for a game clintching TD, Reed missing 2 field goals. Players did not execute, PERIOD. Wake the bleep up!

HometownGal
09-20-2009, 08:27 PM
Geez - don't see anyone bitching and moaning about Ben throwing the pick when we were deep in da Bears' territory. :rolleyes:

Football is a TEAM sport. Sure Skippy blew those FG's - those are must hits in a game as close as this one was. BUT - to place total blame on him is not only ridiculously stupid, it is scapegoating at its finest. He wasn't the one who allowed the Bears to march down the field for the tying TD OR the winning FG.

MACH1
09-20-2009, 08:30 PM

Let me guess, it worked on Madden.

ReedsGirl3
09-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Two missed field goals by Jeff Reed...

That happens to Jeff Reed about as often as the Browns have a winning season.

Leftoverhard
09-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Let me guess, it worked on Madden.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I was thinking the same exact thing (it does, you know, work on Madden)

Leftoverhard
09-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Lord knows we have benefited from missed field goals a number of times over the past few years...

That is so true. And in way more important games, no less.

touchdownward
09-20-2009, 08:41 PM
http://therealbarackobama.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/sky-is-falling.jpg

There are games through the course of the season that we felt we should have won and lost. Conversely there are ones we will win that we probably should have lost. It's one game, can't win them all.

JEFF4i
I blame three things...

The Steelers for losing.
The Bears for winning.
And the 4:15 Start Time.

Honestly guys, it's one week, kickers have off weeks and not everything goes your way. Same thing as last year when people were calling for Ben to hand over the reigns after a few rough games...lah dee da.

As a team they lost, play a team sport, you'll get it.

HometownGal
That is so true. And in way more important games, no less.

Exactly. I'm not making excuses for Skippy as there are none, but I'd rather lose Game 2 at the beginning of the season than Game 14 when positioning for the playoffs is on the line.

Preacher
09-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Exactly. I'm not making excuses for Skippy as there are none, but I'd rather lose Game 2 at the beginning of the season than Game 14 when positioning for the playoffs is on the line.

But but but...we shouldn't lose ANY of them. We are the Steelers! Least we used to be before we hired Arians!

(sarcasm smiley really needed right now)

LVSteelersfan
09-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Bottom line is we should not have lost this one. I don't mind losing games once in awhile. No one wins them all. BUT, when you have two game clinching drives (both should have led to TDs, not FGs) that turn up with zilch, nada, zero, it gets really frustrating. That game felt like a Steeler win through most of it. Fortunately, they have the chance to redeem themselves next week against the Bungles.

JEFF4i
09-20-2009, 08:48 PM
But but but...we shouldn't lose ANY of them. We are the Steelers! Least we used to be before we hired Arians!

(sarcasm smiley really needed right now)

And Tomlin, and Big Ben, and Willie Parker, and MeMo, and...well...the whiners will always have someone to blame.

The Steelers are to blame. The good thing is, we have at least 17 more games ahead of us.

touchdownward
09-20-2009, 08:49 PM
I blame three things...

The Steelers for losing.
The Bears for winning.
And the 4:15 Start Time.

Honestly guys, it's one week, kickers have off weeks and not everything goes your way. Same thing as last year when people were calling for Ben to hand over the reigns after a few rough games...lah dee da.

As a team they lost, play a team sport, you'll get it.
If we would have started at 4:20, everything would have been cooool. :smoker:

GridironWarrior
09-20-2009, 08:49 PM
This game reminded me of the Jags game from 06 that was on Monday night Football. In fact this season so far reminds me a lot of 06. There is no passion with these players like last year.

stlrz fan
09-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Keeps Reeds head out of the clouds and something to work on for next week. We're going to have losses, Tomlin will turn today into a positive and have us ready fir Cinci.

JEFF4i
09-20-2009, 08:55 PM
This game reminded me of the Jags game from 06 that was on Monday night Football. In fact this season so far reminds me a lot of 06. There is no passion with these players like last year.

Y'know, I'm just going to plain call BS. Last week our D stepped up big a few times when we really needed them, Troy made an incredible catch, and Big Ben orchestrated essentially 3 critical drives.

Psyychoward86
09-20-2009, 08:59 PM
LOL

Its all on Jeff Reed

I have said this before I have no confidance in this guy kicking FGs of over 40 yards

I cant believe Reed did sign the contract steelers offered him because he wants R Gould type of deal

Reed signed an extension???

Leftoverhard
09-20-2009, 09:07 PM
http://redstatebluestate.mlblogs.com/steelers%20superbowl%20champs.JPG

http://www.gofor2and5.com.au/DataStore/files/images/a-z_fruit/passion%20fruit%20cut.jpg

Which kind of passion are the champs lacking? I vote for the second one.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-20-2009, 09:25 PM
Gotta just accept that we are a passing team and not a running team, then live with the wins and losses because of it.

3rd and 2 in the 4th quarter and the incomplete pass to Holmes results in a FG attempt that is missed. Last week the lack of a run game won the game, this week the lack of a run game lost things.

Still a long season.

MillerMania83
09-20-2009, 09:28 PM
ABSOLUTELY a game we should have won, ABSOLUTELY the blame goes on Jeff Reed...Just watchin' him come out for BOTH attempts, he just had that look of no confidence or somethin', as I could just tell he was going to miss BOTH of them, as I even said to the Mrs before he kicked them, he's gonna miss them, don't know why, just a feelin' I had...And I really like Reed, IMO he's one of the best in the league, just wasn't his day, on a field he never kicked on before in some crappy weather from time to time....Just glad he missed them now, than say in a game that's on the line in January.

Dillinger-63
09-20-2009, 10:07 PM
The loss to the Bears is bad enough, but having the Ravens be division leaders, that is what really hurts. Thank goodness it's just the second week of the season, we will bounce back.

pancake
09-20-2009, 10:23 PM
LOL

Its all on Jeff Reed

Does Jeff play defense too?

Galax Steeler
09-21-2009, 03:49 AM
I have to say they was alot of mistakes in that game last night. The point is Reed should have won that one for us. They were well in his range. Football is a team game and we did not play well so we lost.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Does Jeff play defense too?

No, but I think he just hurt his chances of Making $3 million in free agency next season.

He should ask the FO if their offer is still on the table. :chuckle:

revefsreleets
09-21-2009, 08:35 AM
No, but I think he just hurt his chances of Making $3 million in free agency next season.

He should ask the FO if their offer is still on the table. :chuckle:

I didn't bother reading...I'm pretty sure i know what most of this thread was about...but I do concur with this...for those thinking that Reed was gone next year, may want to think again...I think he'll sign with the Steelers for 2, and he'll be happier in the long run that he did...

That OR this is the beginning of a decline for him, and we cut ties and find a new kicker...

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-21-2009, 09:31 AM
That OR this is the beginning of a decline for him, and we cut ties and find a new kicker...

True. I seem to remember that Chris Brown was pretty much clutch around here until he started getting "the shanks". Hopefully not the case here with Reed.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-21-2009, 09:57 AM

Several reasons why the original post is based on faulty logic.

1) Every coach in the league would have went with the potential game winning field goal, over trying to convert a 4th and 2.

2) Both of the field goals were within Reeds range. The first was a 38 yarder and the 2nd was a 43. Last year Reed made 10 Field goals in the 40-49 yard range and 2 field goals that were 50+...with a long of 53 yards. Reed might have more trouble in the high 40 yard range but is money between the 38-43 yard field goal range.

3) Reed himself shouldered the blame.
ďIt was a bad field, but we play on a field at Heinz Field that isnít great either,Ē Reed said. ďIíve been fine there, so itís not an excuse. I didnít slip, I just missed two kicks.Ē
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m9d20-Steelers-fall-to-Bears-as-Reed-misses-two-key-kicks

The_WARDen
09-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Personally, I blame the Rooneys!

:blah::blah:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Hey, shouldnt Ligashesky be getting blamed? :noidea:

After all, when somebody screws up its normally the coach that is responsible...right? Ahhh......nothing a big RB, block letters on the jersey and some cheerleaders cant fix. :chuckle:

duke0476
09-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Missing the fieldgoal was Reeds fault.

Being in the position to have to kick the field goal was not.

Going to the endzone on 3rd and 2 was asinine. Try for the first and give yourself 3 more opportunities for the TD. If you miss the first down you are in the same position as we were for the field goal.

fansince'76
09-21-2009, 11:05 AM

Going to the endzone on 3rd and 2 was asinine.

If it would've worked and we scored the TD, it'd be hailed as a brilliant call. I liked the gutsiness of the call even though it didn't work. Reed was off all day, so who's to say he wouldn't have missed anyway even if we did get a few yards closer?

Texasteel
09-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Hey, shouldnt Ligashesky be getting blamed? :noidea:

After all, when somebody screws up its normally the coach that is responsible...right? Ahhh......nothing a big RB, block letters on the jersey and some cheerleaders cant fix. :chuckle:

Now lets not just skim over the cheerleader idea. :wink02:

jjpro11
09-21-2009, 11:12 AM

Going to the endzone on 3rd and 2 was asinine. Try for the first and give yourself 3 more opportunities for the TD. If you miss the first down you are in the same position as we were for the field goal.

i loved the call.. our short yardage game has been shit anyways, why not go for the TD when they least expect it? it's not like it was a piss poor play call, the ball went through Holmes' hands. it was right there. the belief from the coaches was that it the best opportunity to score a TD with minimal risk involved since the Bears were playing the run or a short pass play. as long as ben doesn't severely under throw the ball, there would be no turnover. if you don't get the TD, you kick a very make able field goal and take the lead.

duke0476
09-21-2009, 11:17 AM
If it would've worked and we scored the TD, it'd be hailed as a brilliant call. I liked the gutsiness of the call even though it didn't work. Reed was off all day, so who's to say he wouldn't have missed anyway even if we did get a few yards closer?

I was not suggesting we do it to gain yards for the fieldgoal. My point was just that you give yourself every opportunity to make the TD. After the first down you have 3 more chances at it. Yes, it was a gutsy call but in the redzone I would stick with the safest plan of action and the one that gives you the better odds of putting points up.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-21-2009, 11:20 AM

Why is it Reeds fault for missing the field goal but not Holmes fault for missing the catch?

Lack of execution, by the player involved, is the blame for both.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-21-2009, 11:40 AM
i loved the call.. our short yardage game has been shit anyways, why not go for the TD when they least expect it? .

If you look at the play again, that wasnt the primary read. :doh:

Ben had multiple options to the right, that were covered and Holmes was the final outlet. Its the new reality....live by the pass, and die by the pass. We have to move on to next week and the Bungles.

revefsreleets
09-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Point being, Tomlin had enough faith in Reed to GO for the TD, and faith in Ben and Santo to not turn the ball over. I liked the call, too, and I'm sure Tomlin knew that Reed was pretty money on 38 yarders.

Indo
09-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Point being, Tomlin had enough faith in Reed to GO for the TD, and faith in Ben and Santo to not turn the ball over. I liked the call, too, and I'm sure Tomlin knew that Reed was pretty money on 38 yarders.

I liked the call, too. Tomlin was playing to win. Doesn't always work out...

revefsreleets
09-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Perfect example of this WORKING: 2001 season, OSU vs. Purdue, Buckeyes down 6-3, had a 4th and 1from Purdue's 37 with a little over a minute to play. Instead of kicking the LONG FG, or lining up and trying to manhandle the Boilermakers and smashmouth to a first down, Tress called a bomb into the endzone, which Mike Jenkins caught for the winning score.

That play doesn't work, they don't go to the Fiesta and no national championship. But talk about going for the win!

STEELERS_fan74
09-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Now we all know that there is no I in team so lets not play the finger pointing game.... Troy polamalu was injured and out 3-6 weeks so thats one reason we lost i mean our offense didnt do so well a couple of play and jeff reed just had an off night so dont point a finger at him and the o-line didnt do so well a couple of plays of that game like the 4th and 2 but as a coach i would have done the same and tomlins just a coach he cant control what his players do it takes a whole team to win and win 1 gives up they all give up coz the whole team needs to point it out and put the fire under his ass and bust his nuts so he keeps on going and that fumble at the end didnt help out at all!!!!

Indo
09-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Perfect example of this WORKING: 2001 season, OSU vs. Purdue, Buckeyes down 6-3, had a 4th and 1from Purdue's 37 with a little over a minute to play. Instead of kicking the LONG FG, or lining up and trying to manhandle the Boilermakers and smashmouth to a first down, Tress called a bomb into the endzone, which Mike Jenkins caught for the winning score.

That play doesn't work, they don't go to the Fiesta and no national championship. But talk about going for the win!

If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!

scsteeler
09-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Yes a lot of blame to go around for everyone but the game is in the books we lost and now we move on. So long as this team gets better that is the key. Dropped balls, bad throughs, missed blocks. Missed Field Goals. And the argument that Tomlin should have went for it on 4th and two would be questioning that call had he made it and we came up short. Its only week 2 a lot of football left to be played.

SteelCityMom
09-21-2009, 01:57 PM

Yeah, these were my thoughts exactly. I hated that Ben went for a long TD pass on 3rd and 2 putting Reed in a position to kick a 44 yd fg after he just missed a 38 yd fg. He got greedy on that one imo. You get the 2 yds (maybe a few more), run the clock a bit, eventually try to get a TD in your 3 attempts...but focus on getting the ball as close to the endzone as possible. I was damning that play before Reed even missed the FG.

SteelCityMom
09-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Ok and my last thought on the whole Jeff Reed thing, since it seems to be the in thing this week to not only throw him under the bus, but to tie him to the bus and drag him down I79 going 80mph. Honestly, can anyone remember a game where Jeff Reed lost it for us (before last night), or even a game where he has missed more than one FG in a game (there may be a couple...but can you remember them seriously).

We've been fortunate enough to have an extremely reliable kicker who's won more games for this team than I can even count. I think he's earned the right to have an off day. If he was like this all the time, I'd be right up there with the lynching mob calling for his head....but let's be realistic people...more often than not you are thanking your lucky stars and bowing down to kiss his black and gold shoes and thanking him for somehow saving another game for us.

Give the guy a freakin break already.

Steelboy84
09-21-2009, 03:42 PM
That's just retarded

A 43 yrd FG attempt, on the road, in bad weather vs. a 4th and 2........................

You thinking its retarded is retarded.

AllD
09-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Reed gets paid to make those kicks. Mr. Automatic got stuck in neutral on Sunday.

Steelboy84
09-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Reed gets paid to make those kicks. Mr. Automatic got stuck in neutral on Sunday.

lol

tony hipchest
09-21-2009, 05:00 PM
"skippy skeeve" became an internet sensation for photographing his own carpet and the base of his stick for the whole world to see.

he protects the community from evil bathroom dispensers.

that in itself earns him a mulligan for the chokejob seen yesterday. however, kicking in a cow pasture is his specialty.

to blame tomlin is completely asinine. :shake01:

HometownGal
09-21-2009, 05:02 PM
OK - Skippy missed 2 FG's, he totally accepts the blame for yesterday's loss, end of story. Geez people - how far are you going to drag this out??? :banging:

SteelersTilIDie
09-21-2009, 05:03 PM
are you being sarcastic Steelboy84 cause tomlin had nothing to do with it all Jeff Reed does is kick so it's expected that he can be relied on in tight situations to go out and deliver and I guess he's just not that good and if you're telling me you would go for it on fourth down with a chance to win the game on an easy field goal with 1 minute left and risk not converting you're a total idiot

WindyCitySteelerFan
09-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Can I have a cookie? I think that would make things much better for me!!

You guys can blame whoever you want.. Whatever, we lost a game to a good team.. It happens.

What sucks for ME, however, is that I live here in Chicago.. and I drive all day for work.. With my proud Steeler-ized Jeep.. which, as you might think.. Got quite a lot of attention today :(

So, in 7 years, when we play them again... I would appreciate a win, please. Thanks.

:)

NJarhead
09-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Nice quote by Robbie Gould:

''It's very seldom you see a guy like Jeff miss two,'' Gould said. ''Guess this just wasn't his day. He needs to keep his chin up because he is a good kicker. You have to come back tomorrow and worry about your next kick.''

I agree Robbie. I agree.

steeldawg
09-21-2009, 05:44 PM
both touchdown caught on ttyrone carter

BlastFurnace
09-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Ok and my last thought on the whole Jeff Reed thing, since it seems to be the in thing this week to not only throw him under the bus, but to tie him to the bus and drag him down I79 going 80mph. Honestly, can anyone remember a game where Jeff Reed lost it for us (before last night), or even a game where he has missed more than one FG in a game (there may be a couple...but can you remember them seriously).

We've been fortunate enough to have an extremely reliable kicker who's won more games for this team than I can even count. I think he's earned the right to have an off day. If he was like this all the time, I'd be right up there with the lynching mob calling for his head....but let's be realistic people...more often than not you are thanking your lucky stars and bowing down to kiss his black and gold shoes and thanking him for somehow saving another game for us.

Give the guy a freakin break already.

Great Post!

Jeff has won far more many games for us than he has lost.

I can't even remember the last big kick Jeff missed for us.

He gets a pass from me.

CPanther95
09-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Agree with HometownGal - nothing any of us say will make Reed feel any worse - or more importantly - make him get any better.

However, blaming Tomlin is ridiculous. What if the FG was missed on 4th and 15? Then it is the kicker's fault?

7SteelGal43
09-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Forgive me for bumping this thread, but I've been thinking. The loss to Chicago was a team loss. Plain and simple.

I'm on a bowling team. Let's say that going into the last frame, I, as the last bowler, need to get a strike for us to win. It would be easy to point to me and say I lost us the match if I knock down only 8 pins. What about my teammate who didn't pick up the spare two frames ago ? What about my teammate who bowled 15 pins below his average ?

Yes, Jeff reed missed two FGs in that game. He was called in to to try the FG because the offense failed to convert on two third downs. Chicago kicked a game winning FG because our D failed to keep them out of FG range.

Jeff Reeds fault, or team loss ? I'll let you be the judge.

Christian Snyder
09-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Forgive me for bumping this thread, but I've been thinking. The loss to Chicago was a team loss. Plain and simple.

I'm on a bowling team. Let's say that going into the last frame, I, as the last bowler, need to get a strike for us to win. It would be easy to point to me and say I lost us the match if I knock down only 8 pins. What about my teammate who didn't pick up the spare two frames ago ? What about my teammate who bowled 15 pins below his average ?

Yes, Jeff reed missed two FGs in that game. He was called in to to try the FG because the offense failed to convert on two third downs. Chicago kicked a game winning FG because our D failed to keep them out of FG range.

Jeff Reeds fault, or team loss ? I'll let you be the judge.
Well said... It was a teams loss.

solardave
09-23-2009, 05:00 PM

That's a bunch of Bullsh..t. Reid did not do his job. Period. It's on him for sure.We do miss Troy though. The defense was soft in the middle giving up to many short passes.

7SteelGal43
09-23-2009, 05:09 PM
[QUOTE=solardave;665500]That's a bunch of Bullsh..t. Reid did not do his job. Period. It's on him for sure.

.....and yet you turn right around and say........

We do miss Troy though. The defense was soft in the middle giving up to many short passes.

So.....which is it ?

HometownGal
09-23-2009, 09:50 PM
[QUOTE].

.....and yet you turn right around and say........

So.....which is it ?

Dollars to donuts sez he's a Democrat. :chuckle: