PDA

View Full Version : Defense needs to play better (Cant believe I said that)

Carolina Steelers
09-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Never thought I would say that. Collins and Cutler had there way IMO. I think we have one take away and 1 sack in 2 games thats not going to work. Seem like Cutler had all day back there tonight.

jaygorius
09-20-2009, 07:30 PM
I totally agree. There are a lot of threads blaming Reed and other factors (rightfully so), but not a lot of people are talking about how flat the defense was as a whole. This is more then just Troy being out too. Especially today they looked very slow and just not themselves.

I think they will bounce back, and they played OK overall. We're just used to and expect the amazing D we had most of last year. Still, this was not one of their better ones.

Steel Head
09-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Defense played fine except for Ty Carter who sucks

Edman
09-20-2009, 07:35 PM
I thought the Defense played fine. They held the Bears in check most of the game and we had a chance to win.

Reed's first miss really turned the game around. The bottom fell out on the second miss.

7SteelGal43
09-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Considering Troy was out, I thought D did rather well. You could almost feel the dynamic had changed without Troy though.

GodofGridiron
09-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Cut the defense some slack...they more often than not hold up their end.

eafratitpm3
09-20-2009, 07:41 PM
I was very disappointed in the defensive scheme or lack there of. I don't remember Cutler throwing a ball more than 5 yards the whole game and we were still playing off of the receivers and tight ends. What ever happened to press coverage. Their TE's caught about 20+ balls between them, were our DB's afraid they would get behind them. Maybe this is the kick in the Ass the team will need to get them going. It just looked like Chicago wanted the game much more than us. Oh well, there is a couple of bright spots to this game, our running game statrted to get on track and we didn't lose to a divisional opponent.

GodofGridiron
09-20-2009, 07:45 PM
I was very disappointed in the defensive scheme or lack there of. I don't remember Cutler throwing a ball more than 5 yards the whole game and we were still playing off of the receivers and tight ends. What ever happened to press coverage. Their TE's caught about 20+ balls between them, were our DB's afraid they would get behind them. Maybe this is the kick in the Ass the team will need to get them going. It just looked like Chicago wanted the game much more than us. Oh well, there is a couple of bright spots to this game, our running game statrted to get on track and we didn't lose to a divisional opponent.

Translated= No Troy !!!

Defensively he brings so much to the table and allow LeBeau to unleash more exotic schemes. No Troy, we have to scale back. The defensive struggles today can be most attributed to that. We're gonna miss the kid the next few games.

fdsannie
09-20-2009, 07:47 PM
What about Ben's interception (not all his fault) and two missed field goals, Santonio not making catches, etc.......................
There is plenty of blame to pass around.

SteelerEmpire
09-20-2009, 07:57 PM
The running game picks up..... now everything else falls off ....:banging:

chucoblack&gold
09-20-2009, 08:03 PM
It didn't seem as though the pressure was there like last years defense. I dont even want to start on the secondary.

oh well, onward to cincy ....:tt02:

stb_steeler
09-20-2009, 09:46 PM
How can the D hold up every game, when there is so many missed opportunities in the redzone that the offense miss's. We should be coming up with more points. There seems to be a trend so far, we score they score, but we had far more chances in the redzone. :doh:

Hammer Of The GODS
09-20-2009, 10:20 PM
It's painful to watch Tyron Carter play. I don't understand why he is still on the team.

He NEVER attacks the ball carrier and is usually 2 steps behind on coverage as well.

Watch him closely next game when a ball carrier is in front of him. He stands there flat footed and waits for the runner to come to him. Then there is no guaruntee that he makes the tackle.

For an example that is easy to see, go back to the Jags playoff game 2 years ago when the "infamous hold" on Harrison allows Gerrard to run into the secondary to a "waiting" Tyrone Carter who jukes Carter out of his jock on the way to a 1st down! Season over!

The guy doesn't need to be Troy but for pete sake ATTACK the ball!

The guy is a liability!

HometownGal
09-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Sure the team misses Troy - how could they not? He's a game changer, a playmaker and a beast out there on the field and keeps the other team guessing where he's going to be or what he's going to do. However - one man does not a team make. There were only a couple of times tonight where I saw our D pressure Cutler back there. Most of the game, he had all day to throw and when you give a QB that kind of time to set up and lock into a receiver, they're gonna burn ya and that's exactly what he did. I have every confidence that Lebeau is going to study the tapes very closely, adjust and correct the coverages and have his guys coming out like gangbusters next week. This group is a very proud and close-knit lot - their pride was compromised tonight and they're not going to take that laying down. It's gonna suck to be the Bungles next weekend. :tt02:

MillerMania83
09-20-2009, 10:42 PM
I thought the D for the most part played pretty well today, especially with no Troy in there....But IMO there are SOME concerns that need to be looked at....Carter, NOT GETTIN' IT DONE, NOT EVEN CLOSE, HURRY BACK Troy, lol...But also, how come we can't sack the QB, as Cutler really wasn't close to being sacked today (maybe Farrior once), and it wasn't much better last week with Collins, as those 2 QB's aren't exactly the most mobile/quick/running QB's out there, the D NEEDS TO GET THERE and actually get the QB's more often for the sack IMO, they come close many times, but just don't get them....I know it's only 2 games, don't want to hit the panic button yet, but kinda don't like the road it looks like we COULD be heading down when it comes to a couple of things so far that have revealed themself in the first 2 games.

steelpride12
09-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Ehhh I thought the defense did just fine tonight. They made a few mistakes in the Secondary and yes you can tell the absence of Troy is making an impact, but a small one. The run game was shut down, that's a must and the Steelers do it best and did again today. Alot of balls were caught toward Cater's directions a lot showing the injury hurt us, but the only thing I saw was that the Bears are a bunch of no name receivers tearing us down a little. It will be interesting to see our secondary against a formidable wide receiving corp. Gay was abused a little but overall the D held there ground and gave us a chance to win the game.

chucoblack&gold
09-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Ehhh I thought the defense did just fine tonight. They made a few mistakes in the Secondary and yes you can tell the absence of Troy is making an impact, but a small one. The run game was shut down, that's a must and the Steelers do it best and did again today. Alot of balls were caught toward Cater's directions a lot showing the injury hurt us, but the only thing I saw was that the Bears are a bunch of no name receivers tearing us down a little. It will be interesting to see our secondary against a formidable wide receiving corp. Gay was abused a little but overall the D held there ground and gave us a chance to win the game.

yeah, he was targeted many times:mad:

steelreserve
09-21-2009, 12:31 AM
The defense did an OK job. We had every chance to win the game.

Seems to me like big lumbering tight ends have always been a huge vulnerability for us. I have no idea why that is, but I can't tell you how many times I've seen Todd Heap or Algee Crumpler or some fatass like that go wild against us, which is embarrassing. But if that's the worst problem we have on a regular basis, we should consider ourselves lucky.

devilsdancefloor
09-21-2009, 12:36 AM
it would seem that our front 7 are milliseconds from a sack and the ball gets out with that being said no matter if troy was back in the secondary it would get exposed. for whatever reason we are not getting the pressures and sacks we all have become accustom too. But i am guessing that will soon change! Go steelers!:thumbsup::tt03::tt03: