View Full Version : There's plenty of culprits to blame for Steelers' loss

mesaSteeler
09-20-2009, 11:18 PM
There's plenty of culprits to blame for Steelers' loss
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_644190.html
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, September 21, 2009

At the beginning of Sunday's game, with the Steelers' opening possession in the shadow of their own goal post, they employed a three-wide receiver set.

On third-and-short, when the Steelers needed to pick up a first down, they played three receivers.

During crunch time, when the Steelers needed to move the ball, they had three receivers on the field.

Get the picture?

That break from tradition isn't why the Steelers suffered their first loss of the season, 17-14, to the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field.

Who was that man disguised as kicker Jeff Reed anyway?

Normally reliable under pressure, Reed's two missed field goals in the fourth quarter on a wet and loose playing surface were the difference in a game the Steelers carelessly let slip away.

"Of course, this is uncharacteristic of him," Mike Tomlin said in what may have been his shortest postgame news conference as Steelers coach. "He just kicked the game-winner in overtime last week, and that's what we're used to. We aren't used to what happened to him today."

Strange things happened to the Steelers against the Bears. And not because it seemed like offensive coordinator Bruce Arians ran more three-receiver sets than the pass-happy New Orleans Saints.

Just kidding. No team runs more three-receiver sets than Drew Brees' Saints. But give the Steelers a gold star for trying.

No, there were fingerprints from all corners of the locker room after this loss.

How about the defense giving up three costly scoring drives against a Chicago offense that sputtered a week earlier against a Green Bay defense in its first year of playing a 3-4 alignment borrowed from the Steelers?

That final drive led to Robbie Gould's 44-yard game-winning field goal with 15 seconds remaining.

"We felt like we had an opportunity to finish the game out," linebacker James Farrior said of the Steelers blowing a 14-7 lead in the fourth quarter. "We had the lead and let them come back. That's very disappointing as a defense."

Not only did Chicago rookie receiver Johnny Knox beat strong safety Tyrone Carter for a 7-yard touchdown catch in the fourth quarter that made the score 14-14, Carter was beaten as Troy Polamalu's replacement.

Now Carter has to hear all week about how the Steelers' secondary is in trouble because Polamalu will be sidelined at least two more games with a knee injury.

"I should have called timeout," said Carter, who injured his left thigh after breaking up a pass for tight end Greg Olsen in the second quarter. "Because of my leg I couldn't move. I was just out there. I think I kind of hurt my teammates by either not coming out of the game or calling timeout."

You think?

And there was Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes explaining what appeared to be his drop of a potential touchdown pass against Bears cornerback Charles Tillman late in the game that would have given the Steelers a 21-7 lead.

"I saw the tip of the ball. That's all I was watching the whole time," said Holmes, who had five receptions for a game-high 83 yards but allowed three catchable balls to slip through his fingers. "I put my hands in the right (position). When I thought the ball was landing, (Tillman) got his hands up at the last second and nudged the ball, and it fell between my arms."

One play later, Reed missed a field goal.

Eight plays after that, Gould put Chicago ahead of keeps.

After fumbling away a win, Sunday's game at Cincinnati can't arrive soon enough for the 1-1 Steelers.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

(Pass happy. That's our damn problem. This pass first, pass to establish the run game crap doesn't work in bad weather. Our offense went to hell when it started raining.

Three things can happen when you pass the ball and two of them are bad. Are we ever going to back to power run, clock controlling, dominating Steeler football? In my 45 years of watching Steeler football I've never seen anything as stupid as this pass happy crap. Instead of Preachers new passing faith religion (double entendre intended) give me the old time religion of power run the ball, stop the run of real Steelers football. - mesa)

Preacher
09-21-2009, 12:02 AM
I don't know mesa. It seems that Chicago was passing as much or more than we were...and they won.

Steelers & I
09-21-2009, 01:33 AM
There's plenty of culprits to blame for Steelers' loss
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_644190.html
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, September 21, 2009

At the beginning of Sunday's game, with the Steelers' opening possession in the shadow of their own goal post, they employed a three-wide receiver set.

On third-and-short, when the Steelers needed to pick up a first down, they played three receivers.

During crunch time, when the Steelers needed to move the ball, they had three receivers on the field.

Get the picture?

That break from tradition isn't why the Steelers suffered their first loss of the season, 17-14, to the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field.

Who was that man disguised as kicker Jeff Reed anyway?

Normally reliable under pressure, Reed's two missed field goals in the fourth quarter on a wet and loose playing surface were the difference in a game the Steelers carelessly let slip away.

"Of course, this is uncharacteristic of him," Mike Tomlin said in what may have been his shortest postgame news conference as Steelers coach. "He just kicked the game-winner in overtime last week, and that's what we're used to. We aren't used to what happened to him today."

Strange things happened to the Steelers against the Bears. And not because it seemed like offensive coordinator Bruce Arians ran more three-receiver sets than the pass-happy New Orleans Saints.

Just kidding. No team runs more three-receiver sets than Drew Brees' Saints. But give the Steelers a gold star for trying.

No, there were fingerprints from all corners of the locker room after this loss.

How about the defense giving up three costly scoring drives against a Chicago offense that sputtered a week earlier against a Green Bay defense in its first year of playing a 3-4 alignment borrowed from the Steelers?

That final drive led to Robbie Gould's 44-yard game-winning field goal with 15 seconds remaining.

"We felt like we had an opportunity to finish the game out," linebacker James Farrior said of the Steelers blowing a 14-7 lead in the fourth quarter. "We had the lead and let them come back. That's very disappointing as a defense."

Not only did Chicago rookie receiver Johnny Knox beat strong safety Tyrone Carter for a 7-yard touchdown catch in the fourth quarter that made the score 14-14, Carter was beaten as Troy Polamalu's replacement.

Now Carter has to hear all week about how the Steelers' secondary is in trouble because Polamalu will be sidelined at least two more games with a knee injury.

"I should have called timeout," said Carter, who injured his left thigh after breaking up a pass for tight end Greg Olsen in the second quarter. "Because of my leg I couldn't move. I was just out there. I think I kind of hurt my teammates by either not coming out of the game or calling timeout."

You think?

And there was Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes explaining what appeared to be his drop of a potential touchdown pass against Bears cornerback Charles Tillman late in the game that would have given the Steelers a 21-7 lead.

"I saw the tip of the ball. That's all I was watching the whole time," said Holmes, who had five receptions for a game-high 83 yards but allowed three catchable balls to slip through his fingers. "I put my hands in the right (position). When I thought the ball was landing, (Tillman) got his hands up at the last second and nudged the ball, and it fell between my arms."

One play later, Reed missed a field goal.

Eight plays after that, Gould put Chicago ahead of keeps.

After fumbling away a win, Sunday's game at Cincinnati can't arrive soon enough for the 1-1 Steelers.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

(Pass happy. That's our damn problem. This pass first, pass to establish the run game crap doesn't work in bad weather. Our offense went to hell when it started raining.

Three things can happen when you pass the ball and two of them are bad. Are we ever going to back to power run, clock controlling, dominating Steeler football? In my 45 years of watching Steeler football I've never seen anything as stupid as this pass happy crap. Instead of Preachers new passing faith religion (double entendre intended) give me the old time religion of power run the ball, stop the run of real Steelers football. - mesa)

Welcome to the world of Bruce Arians. It's fun isn't it?

Steelers & I
09-21-2009, 01:35 AM
I don't know mesa. It seems that Chicago was passing as much or more than we were...and they won.

Chicago was behind for the majority of the game, they really didn't have a choice other than to pass. I wouldn't really say that passing was the winning formula for the Bears, the Steelers basically gave the game away.

This loss falls into the lap of Jeff Reed and Tyrone Carter. Both Bears touchdowns were thrown at Carter. I don't know why he wasn't able to make a play on the 2nd touchdown, he was standing right there????

SteelC7
09-21-2009, 02:00 AM
holmes (with one play), reed (with TWO missed kicks), and most of all the DEFENSE let us down, unbelievable loss, we needed this game and we pissed it away

Gnutella
09-21-2009, 02:44 AM
Actually, you could argue that we didn't "need" this win since we played an interconference opponent. We need to beat the Bengals and Chargers more than we needed to beat the Bears.

Not that that's an excuse for today's performance, but I can certainly think of more damaging losses.

ricksteelers55
09-21-2009, 02:52 AM
there are the Bruce Arians bashers and those who thinks Bruce Arians is doing a good job and that the execution is the problem.I stand in the middle of it.

My point is that today was a very good example of why we need to commit to the run.

When you get to weather like that you have to be able to run the football and eat the clock.

I think that the problem in this team is not the playcalling(although id like to see more running play than 19 specially in a weather like that) I think the main problem is that we dont use properly our personel.

Heck why did we draft a RB in the 1st round if it's to use him only 3 carries the entire game ?

Steeldude
09-21-2009, 04:08 AM
holmes should have rotated his hands outward on the endzone pass

WindyCitySteelerFan
09-21-2009, 04:21 AM
Ugh.

And now I have to hear about this damn game for the next 7 years until we play them again...

The damned Bears? What the hell?

Lost to the dullest team around.. great... There is paint that is more enjoyable watching dry than most Bears games.

Galax Steeler
09-21-2009, 04:24 AM
What about all the penalties we had that had alot to do with our loss. I am not sure how many we had but it was a bunch and it costed us alot of yards.

X-Terminator
09-21-2009, 05:09 AM
Chicago was behind for the majority of the game, they really didn't have a choice other than to pass. I wouldn't really say that passing was the winning formula for the Bears, the Steelers basically gave the game away.

This loss falls into the lap of Jeff Reed and Tyrone Carter. Both Bears touchdowns were thrown at Carter. I don't know why he wasn't able to make a play on the 2nd touchdown, he was standing right there????

Carter apparently was injured at that time, but tried to play through it rather than take himself out of the game. Big mistake.

And I don't understand why so many Steelers fans are so scared of the passing game. We have one of the best QBs in the league. Why not give him more of a chance to show why he's one of the best QBs in the league?

Preacher
09-21-2009, 05:22 AM

Well, they were down, but only by 7 points. That doesn't usually take you out of a running game and put you into a passing game.

Steelers & I
09-21-2009, 06:00 AM
Well, they were down, but only by 7 points. That doesn't usually take you out of a running game and put you into a passing game.

When you're facing the Steelers defense it does> :tt03:

Steelers & I
09-21-2009, 06:06 AM
Carter apparently was injured at that time, but tried to play through it rather than take himself out of the game. Big mistake.

And I don't understand why so many Steelers fans are so scared of the passing game. We have one of the best QBs in the league. Why not give him more of a chance to show why he's one of the best QBs in the league?

Yeah I read that after my post, about the Carter injury. But man, he was still right there. He even pounded the ground afterwards as if to say, DAMN, I should have knocked that one down.

I agree with your pass more often comment. I have no problem with Ben passing the ball. He may be the best in the league when they turn him loose. As much as I bash Arians, I do realize that the Steelers have some EXCELLENT pass play designs. Most of the runs out of the singleback formation just seem as if they're a wasted down. maybe it's just me, I don't know? I would just rather see a pass play as opposed to any run from the singleback. I know, it sounds stupid because an offense has to mix things up but damn it's frustrating to watch those stuffed runs. Run from the I-Formation or don't run at all, that's my opinion.

HometownGal
09-21-2009, 07:46 AM
Welcome to the world of Bruce Arians. It's fun isn't it?

Yes, as as matter of fact it is - he called a good game yesterday imho. I have nothing but positive things to say about BA . :thumbsup:

SteeleReign
09-21-2009, 08:36 AM
One thing that's starting to cook my goose...defensively...we've got to find a way to stop the damn screen passes! I realize that they are an antidote for our blitz-heavy schemes, but I am so tired of seeing that screen dump on 3rd and long go for just long enough to extend the drive! AHHH...frustrating!

revefsreleets
09-21-2009, 08:41 AM
Really? Are there really people stupid enough to blame ARIANS for yesterday? Seriously?

That was a brilliantly called game. The run game was working because it was based off the pass, and the pass game was decent but had a few miscues and key mistakes (like dropped passes and some inconsistency at QB).

Really, the only "A" I award for yesterday was Arians. He laid out the blueprint for the rest of the NFL on how to beat the Bears defense. The ignorance of some of the posters here is simply mind boggling...

markymarc
09-21-2009, 04:17 PM
I will even agree with you revefsreleets. IMO Bruce Arians called a very good game yesterday. Maybe it's just me, but is anyone else concerned about our defense right now? The past 2 weeks we seem to be giving up a lot of yards in the passing game. Last season our defense could stop teams when they needed to. So far in 2009 I just don't see it. I am very concerned about our defense right now.