PDA

View Full Version : This was a 2007-style loss

Gnutella
09-21-2009, 03:40 AM
This loss reminded me of when we lost to the Jets in 2007. We had plenty of opportunities to put the game away, but we made some mistakes and let the other team hang around, and then they bit us in the ass late in the game. :doh:

At least it's not a conference loss... :helmet:

Edman
09-21-2009, 11:42 AM
This team really has a 2006 repeat written all over them.

Have all the talent in the world, but don't have the killer instinct to put teams away.

Have all the Defense in the world, but can't stop anyone when it counts.

We didn't look particularly impressive against the Titans, who are now 0-2, and now we lose to a mediocre Bears team. Last year, we lost to the Eagles (NFC Runner Ups), Giants (Defending Champs, NFC East Winners), Colts (12-4, AFC Seed #5), and the Titans (13-3 AFC Seed #1). All for except the Eagles and Titans games, we were in it against some very talented teams. Those teams were actually good.

The Bears I don't get that feeling as the teams we lost to in 2008. This definately has a 2006-2007 type of loss. Late Game, slopping up the field on the road, letting a crap team hang around, Defense blows it down the stretch and we lose. The losses last year frustrated me, but I took solace in the fact that those teams were contenders. I don't take any solace in losing to the damn Bears, who will likely go 9-7 at best. The Steelers did a great job resurrecting the ghosts of their 2006 selves. Fat, Happy, No Fire. Isn't that right, Mr. Dispenser-Puncher?

I hope Pittsburgh is dogged endlessly in the media this week with a big divisional game in Cinci looming on the horizon. The Bungs are just licking their chops going after Tyrone Carter. Why is he still on the team by the way?

fansince'76
09-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Yup, season's over. Let's forfeit the rest of our games so we can get a top-10 pick in the draft. We suck.

GridironWarrior
09-21-2009, 11:50 AM
I agree that this team has a 06 feel to it. Who would have thought that after 2 weeks we could possibly be 1-2. I hate having to chase the Ravens. This team has no fire to it. Where is that chip they had last year? And my gosh are we ever gonna stop the TE position? And why do no name WR always have coming out parties against us?

GridironWarrior
09-21-2009, 11:58 AM
To be honest this team tanking might help them a high rated Olinemen in the draft. Itís performances like this that make all the analysts pick other teams. Chicago should have been destroyed yesterday.

jjpro11
09-21-2009, 12:18 PM
none of you must remember the week 2 game in 06 vs the Jags.. now that was an all-time tank job.

and need i remind you that we squeaked by the pathetic Browns a year ago in week 2?

steelreserve
09-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Yup, season's over. Let's forfeit the rest of our games so we can get a top-10 pick in the draft. We suck.

We should do that and use the pick on Michael Crabtree. Maybe Plex will be out of jail by then too.

Fire Haley
09-21-2009, 12:33 PM
I just can't believe our defense allowed the Bears to drive 97 yards for a TD. That's ridiculous.

They better pull their heads out or Cincy will beat them too.

LVSteelersfan
09-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Negative Nancies all over the place. We had that game in the bag. S**T happens. Sometimes you lose. This team is nowhere near as bad as that 2006 team. Not even close. They did not look as bad as you all seem to think. The defense cannot hold everyone for every single game they play on every series. It is impossible. Lebeau will have to adjust for the loss of Troy. Plain and simple.

Fire Haley
09-21-2009, 01:00 PM
No matter how all y'all try to sugarcoat this loss...

Ravens next play at home against Browns to go 3-0.

Steelers-Bengles loser falls to 2 back in the division.

They better pull their heads outta their asses

fansince'76
09-21-2009, 01:05 PM
No matter how all y'all try to sugarcoat this loss...

Ravens next play at home against Browns to go 3-0.

Steelers-Bengles loser falls to 2 back in the division.

They better pull their heads outta their asses

Not sugarcoating it, but not declaring the season over because of it either. I also wouldn't give the Ravens an automatic win next week after the way they almost stepped on their dicks at home against a truly wretched Chiefs team.

Fire Haley
09-21-2009, 01:09 PM
I don't see anyone declaring the "season is over' or anything close to that.

Just a bunch of tighty-whiteys afraid to talk about a loss.

SteelerEmpire
09-21-2009, 01:09 PM
The Bad news is that we lost..... the good news is that it is only our 2nd loss out of the last 12 games that we played..... :tt02:

fansince'76
09-21-2009, 01:12 PM
I don't see anyone declaring the "season is over' or anything close to that.

No? Look closer.

This team really has a 2006 repeat written all over them.

Have all the talent in the world, but don't have the killer instinct to put teams away.

Have all the Defense in the world, but can't stop anyone when it counts.

We didn't look particularly impressive against the Titans, who are now 0-2, and now we lose to a mediocre Bears team. Last year, we lost to the Eagles (NFC Runner Ups), Giants (Defending Champs, NFC East Winners), Colts (12-4, AFC Seed #5), and the Titans (13-3 AFC Seed #1). All for except the Eagles and Titans games, we were in it against some very talented teams. Those teams were actually good.

The Bears I don't get that feeling as the teams we lost to in 2008. This definately has a 2006-2007 type of loss. Late Game, slopping up the field on the road, letting a crap team hang around, Defense blows it down the stretch and we lose. The losses last year frustrated me, but I took solace in the fact that those teams were contenders. I don't take any solace in losing to the damn Bears, who will likely go 9-7 at best. The Steelers did a great job resurrecting the ghosts of their 2006 selves. Fat, Happy, No Fire. Isn't that right, Mr. Dispenser-Puncher?

"2006 repeat" = all but mathematically eliminated from playoff contention by Halloween = season over.

The Lakelander
09-21-2009, 01:19 PM
One comment here was about a lack of killer instinct.

Wait right there ...

Ben threw a bomb to Wallace that was picked off. Ben was hit right as he threw it. Wallace had a step.

Ben threw to Holmes in the endzone. Holmes was held first and then faceguarded and couldn't see the ball dropping down. He had his guy beat and the pass was perfect.

If either of those plays hits for a TD, then the killer instinct discussion is an entirely different anilmal.

Tomlin went for a 4th and goal at the 1 and scored a TD. That too showed a killer instinct.

You guys are way over-simplifying this game and this team.

Fire Haley
09-21-2009, 01:19 PM
season over.

Well that's just retarded.

In reality, the bounces didn't go our way this time, Reed misses two field goals, Harrison forces a fumble that bounces right a Bear. Ben's arm is hit and the ball floats right to a Bear. Just wasn't our day,

MACH1
09-21-2009, 01:25 PM
http://a7.vox.com/6a00d41432739c3c7f00e398bff2470005-500pi

fansince'76
09-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Well that's just retarded.

In reality, the bounces didn't go our way this time, Reed misses two field goals, Harrison forces a fumble that bounces right a Bear. Ben's arm is hit and the ball floats right to a Bear. Just wasn't our day,

Used to be a time when I was younger that a loss like yesterday would eat at me for the entire week afterwards. Now? I'm usually over a loss in about 5-10 minutes. Just not worth being miserable over, IMO.

MACH1
09-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Used to be a time when I was younger that a loss like yesterday would eat at me for the entire week afterwards. Now? I'm usually over a loss in about 5-10 minutes. Just not worth being miserable over, IMO.

Nope, its not. I used to stew over loses like that for days.

And its only one game and its a long season.

eafratitpm3
09-21-2009, 01:39 PM
One comment here was about a lack of killer instinct.

Wait right there ...

Ben threw a bomb to Wallace that was picked off. Ben was hit right as he threw it. Wallace had a step.

Ben threw to Holmes in the endzone. Holmes was held first and then faceguarded and couldn't see the ball dropping down. He had his guy beat and the pass was perfect.

If either of those plays hits for a TD, then the killer instinct discussion is an entirely different anilmal.

Tomlin went for a 4th and goal at the 1 and scored a TD. That too showed a killer instinct.

You guys are way over-simplifying this game and this team.

I think the killer instinct is a correct statement but I thought yesterday and I told it to the people I was watching the game with at the time that the D just doesn't look the same. I don't think it was only because Troy is out but they (DC or defense) did not adjust at all to the underneath stuff that the Bears were doing the whole game. Usually by the second or third series Lebeau has it figured out and as a Steeler fan you go into games thinking that will happen and it never did. The D was mediocre at best!

Vincent
09-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Everything I saw yesterday is correctable.

Mendy should have laid that DB out and scored. Wallace should have stayed in bounds and gotten a first. Ike should have hustled to that deflected "pass", grabbed it and scored. Ben should have hit wide open receivers. Tone should have caught those balls. Ty ain't Troy. I don't know who was in Woodley's uniform. Reed... See-ya. Etc, etc, etc.

Guessing the lads got the "show some self respect" speech this morning.

On the other side of the ball, it was the Bears' home opener. They were playing the champs and had to win. Cutler stunk the place up last week against a division foe.

These guys don't remind me of 06 or 07. They're loaded with talent, have won 2 of the last 4 SBs and appear to think they can mail it in. If MT is near the coach all seem to think he is, he'll get these matters in hand.

I'd rather have the wake up call early in the season.

Ricco Suavez
09-21-2009, 03:55 PM
I agree with Vincent, all is correctable and I think Tomlin will set the guys right. As for this looking like 2006 I will reserve judgment until we have played at least 8 games not 2. You guys do not make too much of some the posts here, one of these guys called last season off too.

Steel_Bus_24
09-21-2009, 04:16 PM
I was ticked off really bad yesterday too:mad:, but Ive calmed...not going to be watching anything football for a week, maybe pull out some comedy movies, finish some video games..............

but we better beat the Bengals next week because thats something you can't just shrug off:helmet: