PDA

View Full Version : Reed embarrassed by two field-goal misses

Fire Haley
09-21-2009, 02:15 PM
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
CHICAGO -- Heard something in the Steelers' locker room last night that I've never heard before.

A teammate defending Jeff Reed.

Talk about something that's usually so unnecessary.

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/images/200909/20090921pd_reedcover_330.jpg

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/images/200909/20090921pd_reed_330.jpg

"Jeff is a great kicker," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "He's going to win a lot of games for us. He has won a lot of games for us. But even the great ones miss once in awhile."

Or miss twice.

What must Reed have been feeling as he dressed a few feet from Keisel and heard his every word?

Actually, I'll tell you exactly what he was feeling after the Steelers' 17-14 loss to the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field.

"I'm just embarrassed because these guys fought their tails off to win the game," Reed said. "It's a terrible feeling. If there's one player who can single-handedly lose the game, then I'll take credit for it today."

It wasn't so surprising that the Steelers were beaten, their first loss in a meaningful game since their meltdown in Nashville against the Tennessee Titans Dec. 21, four games and one Super Bowl ago.

What was shocking was the way they lost.

Yes, the Steelers' offense struggled to score points, in large part, because the run game again did nothing in the first half before picking it up a bit in the second, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw an interception with the team driving early in the second quarter and star wide receiver Santonio Holmes seemed to drop as many passes as he caught. But it clearly would have scored enough if Reed hadn't hooked a 38-yard field-goal try early in the fourth quarter that would have nudged the Steelers' lead to 17-7 and probably deflated the Bears.

It's also true the Steelers' proud defense, which figures it should win any game when it has a fourth-quarter lead, gave up a tying nine-play, 72-yard touchdown drive, in large part, because it couldn't get off the field on third down and safety Tyrone Carter had a hard time filling in for All-Pro Troy Polamalu, especially after his left thigh was badly bruised late in the first half. But it clearly would have played well enough to win if Reed hadn't missed left again from 43 yards out with the score tied, 14-14, with 3:18 left.

"No excuses," Reed said. "I missed two kicks. I thought the first one was going to sneak in, but I didn't give the second one a chance."

(more)

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/09264/999646-87.stm?cmpid=relatedarticle#ixzz0RlWZZrPF

----------------------------------

No excuses. I like that.

Indo
09-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Yep.
Only the 2nd time in 5 years that he has missed two. And he takes all of the blame.

Way to man-up, Skippy
Now kick the sh*t out of it for the rest of the season

RoethlisBURGHer
09-21-2009, 02:40 PM
I feel bad for Reed. Those two FG's were well in his range, and most of the time he makes both, or at worst misses just one.

He's still one of the best in the game. He's still the only kicker to ever kick a 50 yard FG at Heinz Field (I think).

He doesn't miss many, but every kicker misses kicks. It's inevitable.

Fire Haley
09-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Plain and simple - Steelers had the game won easily.

Ben drives the field for the winning TD and the defense gives it back.

Kicker blows it again and defense can't hold.

Game

SCSTILLER
09-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Skippy has won more games for us than he has lost, I can live with that. He had a bad game, but it never should have come to him winning it.

Now go beat up a towel dispenser and put this behind you!

Steely McSmash
09-21-2009, 03:20 PM
he needs to envision a towel dispensor getting long snapped back to Sepulveda. Then he'll put the thing in orbit!

steelpride12
09-21-2009, 03:30 PM
I give no blame to Skippy. He is clutch and took the blame for the loss, classy. Skippy will come back and make big kicks for the Steelers no doubt. He is not perfect.

jev7452
09-21-2009, 03:36 PM
that was definitely big of him to own up for it.. i was cursing his name at the end of that game but one game doesnt change the fact that he is incredible at what he does and i think he'll look at this as a learning experience and hopefulllyyy never let it happen again!

SteelerEmpire
09-21-2009, 03:46 PM
.....but it never should have come to him winning it.

Yea... I say we should be sitting on a mountain of points over our comp. by the 4th Qtr.... An early knock-out is the way to go. I find it unsettling letting the fight go down to the 12th round so much.....

AllD
09-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Reed manned up and he deserves a new contract. I don't know about backing up the truck to Fort Knox, but he is still good.

Steel_Bus_24
09-21-2009, 04:27 PM
eat it steelers,,,,,,taste all the crap that was this loss....once you think you can't take it anymore then take another bite and make sure it never happens again

Im very proud to be a Steelers fan, but Im sick and tired of them playing down to their competition . I thought Tomlin had corrected that last year, but it appears they're still susceptible to getting caught up in their own press clippings

Preacher
09-21-2009, 04:31 PM
eat it steelers,,,,,,taste all the crap that was this loss....once you think you can't take it anymore then take another bite and make sure it never happens again

Im very proud to be a Steelers fan, but Im sick and tired of them playing down to their competition . I thought Tomlin had corrected that last year, but it appears they're still susceptible to getting caught up in their own press clippings

Sigh. That assumes they WERE playing DOWN to their competition. Why does everyone think the Bears are such a bad team? Obviously yesterday, they were better than us. That is what the score says.

steelreserve
09-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Sigh. That assumes they WERE playing DOWN to their competition. Why does everyone think the Bears are such a bad team? Obviously yesterday, they were better than us. That is what the score says.

Because let's face it, even with Cutler, the Bears have some obvious flaws. If we were playing any good, we should've been able to exploit them. And in fact, for most of the game, it looked like we were solidly in control. Except when it counted.

Fire Haley
09-21-2009, 04:54 PM
“There’s no excuse,” Reed said. “I missed two kicks and basically, what it was, I was trying too hard on both of them. That’s what happens when you’re a right-footed kicker and you hook them."

“I thought the first one was going to sneak in; the second one I didn’t even give a chance.”

“Just embarrassed,” Reed said about his feelings after the game. “These guys fight their tails off to win the game. If there’s one player who can single-handedly lose a game, I’ll take credit for it."

http://www.steelers.com/article/110735/

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Reed manned up and he deserves a new contract. I don't know about backing up the truck to Fort Knox, but he is still good.

Haven't you heard?? "ANYBODY THAT DOESNT THINK JEFF REED IS WORTH $3 MILLION A YEAR IS CRAZY." :chuckle:

He was right. The 2nd FG never had a chance and you can see he was trying too hard. He didnt make the 1st one and should have...move on to next week. I just think he should count himself lucky to be offered $2million as Mike Vanderjagt was once considered "automatic" too. :wave:

AllD
09-21-2009, 05:10 PM

You are right. BB tried to take the big chance early and got picked. a little more patience gets the same thing done in this game. We need to go and score at every opportunity, not try and stay in the game and win it in the 4th with cardiac arrest.

markymarc
09-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Kudos to Jeff Reed for manning up! Reed will bounce back in Cincinnati.

HometownGal
09-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Skippy has won more games for us than he has lost, I can live with that. He had a bad game, but it never should have come to him winning it.

You nailed it SC! :drink: No - it never should have come to Skippy having to win a second game in a row. Our O had several opportunities to punch it in but failed to do so. Our D failed to stop the Bears from scoring the tying TD and getting in position to kick the winning FG. No need for anyone to cry over spilled milk. The game is over, the Bears won, the Steelers lost - time to move forward. No amount of bitching, moaning, whining or complaining is going to change the outcome.

He may be a crazy mofo, but he's a true pro and a class act. Luv ya Skippy! :hatsoff::hug:

Glace
09-22-2009, 01:12 AM
The only thing I worry about with Reed is that those 2 misses are in his head now.

Next time he goes out for a "clutch" kick...what's he going to be thinking about?

Stuff like that can doom you.

That said, I have full faith in the guy. It just wasn't his night. No excuses.

Edman
09-22-2009, 02:03 AM
Chicago is an 8-8 team at best in that division, and we made them look like contenders. Now watch them get destroyed in the upcoming weeks, making this loss all the more embarrassing. Throwing away games to mediocre/crap teams has always been an achillies heel for the Steelers under Cowher. I didn't expect it to continue under Tomlin. Last year we lost to turned out to be some legitimately good teams. Our first loss this year was to a mediocre Bears team that probably won't make the playoffs.

It's like the 2007 game against the then 1-8 Jets. We let them hang around and we lose in overtime, only to watch the Cowboys obliterate them on Thanksgiving the next week. I hate games like this.

sharkweek
09-22-2009, 04:51 AM
too much trashing the Bears, Green Bay was just given 14 points by Palmer and they lost by 7 to the Bungles...and the Bears barely lost to the Packers despite all those Cutler turnovers...I really don't think the Bears are that bad of a team and given the way the first two weeks have gone, look like they'll be the 2nd best team in their division with a decent chance for a wild card.

Galax Steeler
09-22-2009, 05:14 AM
The only thing I worry about with Reed is that those 2 misses are in his head now.

Next time he goes out for a "clutch" kick...what's he going to be thinking about?

Stuff like that can doom you.

That said, I have full faith in the guy. It just wasn't his night. No excuses.

I would have to say that he will be kicking alot of balls this week at Heinz field. He will be mentaly ready for the Bengals he will redeem his self next week.

steelrush
09-22-2009, 05:18 AM
As much as Jeff is sorry about his two missed field-goals, clearly there were more issues in that loss in Chicago.
Our Offense had its share of the losing pie, but as the below article shows, our great defense let too many plays go Bears' way.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09265/999771-87.stm

The one element that stroke me reading the article was:

The defense's performance, unfortunately, brought back bad memories from Super Bowl XLIII. That night, the Arizona Cardinals scored two fourth-quarter touchdowns to wipe out the Steelers' 20-7 lead. If not for that miracle 78-yard drive led by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and that fabulous touchdown catch by Santonio Holmes at the end, the defense would have been remembered for the greatest collapse in Super Bowl history.

Heck, I think that NO ONE at the time, was aware of that.:hmmph:

P.S.
Here's another worth-reading article 'bout our new "iron curtain".
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2009/09/21/finishing-what-they-start/

Fire Haley
09-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Chicago is an 8-8 team at best in that division, and we made them look like contenders. Now watch them get destroyed in the upcoming weeks, making this loss all the more embarrassing. Throwing away games to mediocre/crap teams has always been an achillies heel for the Steelers under Cowher. I didn't expect it to continue under Tomlin. Last year we lost to turned out to be some legitimately good teams. Our first loss this year was to a mediocre Bears team that probably won't make the playoffs.

Awwww - would it make you feel better if Chicago makes the SB?

They lost a game, that's all. They'll probably lose some more too.
Better get your valium bottle filled.

The_WARDen
09-22-2009, 10:00 AM
Awwww - would it make you feel better if Chicago makes the SB?

They lost a game, that's all. They'll probably lose some more too.
Better get your valium bottle filled.

Not too many more...I pegged them to go 14-2! :chuckle:

SCSTILLER
09-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Yea... I say we should be sitting on a mountain of points over our comp. by the 4th Qtr.... An early knock-out is the way to go. I find it unsettling letting the fight go down to the 12th round so much.....

Me too! Throw up 28 in the first half and turn the defense loose, that would make me happy. My fingernails cannot handle many more 4th quarter decisions

LVSteelersfan
09-22-2009, 01:58 PM
The games I was concerned about this year were Tennessee, Minnesota and the two Ravens games. I was right about the Bears except for the losing at the last second by a field goal. As far as I am concerned we outplayed them and I was actually happy with Arian's play calls for a change.

BlastFurnace
09-22-2009, 02:13 PM

It's like the 2007 game against the then 1-8 Jets. We let them hang around and we lose in overtime, only to watch the Cowboys obliterate them on Thanksgiving the next week. I hate games like this.

The 2007 Jets game was exactly what I was thinking about after that game...and I agree with you about the Bears. They aren't that good.

We will bounce back. For some reason, we have thrown in a clunker in the first Quarter of the season nearly every single year. Looks like this year was no different.

We will be ok.

pancake
09-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Did anyone see Reed's face on the sideline after the second miss? He look liked he was going to cry. I am glad he was upset he let his team down, but man up and use your poker face... :laughing: