PDA

View Full Version : Troy Polamalu single handedly wins games...

tony hipchest
09-21-2009, 04:17 PM
...figuratively and literally. one only needs to look at the miracle one handed interception last week vs. tennessee, or the amazing flying, diving, one handed, magnet grab vs. the chargers last year.

was it pele who scored the infamous miracle score in world cup soccer that was dubiously called the "hand of God" for a win? i think troy has become the nfl's version of "the hand of God"

when an amazing play needs to happen during crunch time in the playoffs, look no further than troy vs. the colts (highway robbery doesnt negate a spectacular play) or last year vs. the ravens to ice the game.

after a great 1st half vs. tennessee, i have heard more talking heads than ever refer to troy as the most dominant defender in football. some thought it would be a devastating blow to lose him for even a short period. others thought dick lebeau always finds a way to scheme his way around the absence of a good player and the steelers would just keep on keeping on. it seems to be closer to the former

polamalu made the trip to chicago and said he was excited to watch the defense play. im not sure if it was a bizarre joke but he very humbly said, that perhaps they may even play better without him (as if he takes to many risks, or commits too many penalties).

troy and ben are opposite sides of the same coin. without them we are still a good team, but with them we are great. this proves true in the first loss of the 09 season.

he was seen wincing in pain or disgust, for both of the chicago scores in which his back-up, his position, was the primary defender. i'd like to think it was in pain. the pain of not being out there to help his band of brothers win.

greg olsen or johnny knox vs. tyrone carter is simply too favorable of a matchup for any offense not to exploit. troy is faster than either of those guys and perhaps bats down a ball or baits jay cutler into another miracle int.

there is no way any team controls and drives the ball 97 yds down the field with so many plays with polamalu on the field. thats just too many chances a team doesnt get with him in the game. either a mistake is made, such as a sack or interception, or a 3rd down isnt converted.

no that the game is firmly checked into the "L" column, i can look back and not place blame, but appreciate what a great player we have, and the impact it has with him not being on the field.

if teams handed out flat, deflated, loser "gameballs", i would give it to troy.

he didnt even have to make the trip.

4xSBChamps
09-21-2009, 04:54 PM
..... the game is firmly checked into the "L" column, i can look back and not place blame, but appreciate what a great player we have, and the impact it has with him not being on the field.....

..... as firm-disciple of Chuck Noll's 'we can't worry about who isn't here' mentality, I rarely give second-thoughts about things like this, but as I watched the game from Chicago yesterday, several times I caught myself thinking "TROY'LL GET THAT PA..... ohhh...", or "POLAMULA IS GONNA SPLATTER THIS GUY..... ooopppsss....."

they guy's ability may've been taken for-granted by some people, but yesterday drove-home his value to this defense.

Indo
09-21-2009, 05:03 PM
I have always felt that Troy is, simply, the BEST player in the game. Period.

Now that's a pretty strong opinion, and it certainly isn't possible to compare apples and oranges (for example, in trying to compare him to QBs or RBs,etc), it's just the overall impression I get in watching him play---his ability, his passion, his humbleness.

Even Ben said (in the America's Game show) that Troy is "The greatest athlete that I have ever seen". Yep, Ben, me too.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Even Ben said (in the America's Game show) that Troy is "The greatest athlete that I have ever seen". Yep, Ben, me too.

Ben also said this:

When asked why he doesn't wear a helmet, Roethlisberger replied, "Because you don't have to, it's not the law. If it was the law, I'd definitely have one on every time I rode. But it's not the law so (I?) know I don't have to."

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/9364467/detail.html

tony hipchest
09-21-2009, 05:17 PM
I have always felt that Troy is, simply, the BEST player in the game. Period.

Now that's a pretty strong opinion, and it certainly isn't possible to compare apples and oranges (for example, in trying to compare him to QBs or RBs,etc), it's just the overall impression I get in watching him play---his ability, his passion, his humbleness.

Even Ben said (in the America's Game show) that Troy is "The greatest athlete that I have ever seen". Yep, Ben, me too.i agree. it is totally uncharacteristic of me to wax poetic about a steeler player and dub them "the hand of God", but thats how strongly i feel about his impact.

i think he just began to peak last season, and the best is (or was) yet to come.

the odd thing about him in the americas game feature was him saying he doesnt love football like many of his contemporaries. he definitely doesnt live, breath, eat, or sleep it.

i remember an old interview with him saying he doesnt even watch it. he just plays.

i imagine if he had the same fire and passion as the majority of players, somebody would die.

steelreserve
09-21-2009, 05:32 PM
What, Polamalu kicks field goals now?

Preacher
09-21-2009, 05:38 PM
What, Polamalu kicks field goals now?

come on SR. I think his point is that Troy finds a way to make things happen on defense. Seeing as we lost the game by 3 points, and 14 of those points came against Troy's replacement, Tony's view is probably (and I would agree) that Troy could and probably would have made at least one play that would have cut the 14 points down to at least 10, maybe more.

That too would have won us the game.

Though knowing that T. Carter was actually trying to play through a very painful hip contusion says a lot about the guy. I feel no ill will towards him either.

HometownGal
09-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Good post Tony! :applaudit::drink: Couldn't agree more on your opinion of Troy. Though our D isn't a total flop without Troy in the lineup, there is a noticeable gaping hole there in his absence. That is not to say that Tyrone isn't giving his all, as I believe he truly is - Troy is just such an incredible playmaker, dominant force and a gifted athlete and the Steelers D just looks "different" without #43 in there.

Indo
09-22-2009, 08:30 AM
i agree. it is totally uncharacteristic of me to wax poetic about a steeler player and dub them "the hand of God", but thats how strongly i feel about his impact.

i think he just began to peak last season, and the best is (or was) yet to come.

the odd thing about him in the americas game feature was him saying he doesnt love football like many of his contemporaries. he definitely doesnt live, breath, eat, or sleep it.

i remember an old interview with him saying he doesnt even watch it. he just plays.

i imagine if he had the same fire and passion as the majority of players, somebody would die.

:chuckle: ...And then he'd have to spend the rest of the game saying the Rosary, which would break his concentration on the game!!

In all seriousness, I think part of it goes back to his Religious Faith --he's constantly talking about the Temptations of Pride and Arrogance, etc. and how he tries to avoid those things...

He is truly Unique

CanadianSteel
09-22-2009, 09:52 AM
Said it many times in various threads...Troy is the best role model there is in sports today period..... and he is one person I would be proud to have my kids look up to.
He is a fantastic player and seems like an even better person and I am proud to wear his jersey on Sundays.... Now get heathy Troy

Ricco Suavez
09-24-2009, 07:14 PM
I believe Troy is one of the best defenders in the game now and all time. But that said I do not believe football games are won single- handed. Not the QB, not the RB not the DE, any player. I am not saying some players have great games that you cannot help but look and want to make a broad statement like well he won that one for us. Just like when there is a goat we want to hang the loss on the poor sap. I firmly believe football is the ultimate team sport. If all elements work together a team without a single superstar can be champions. By the same token a team full of stars will fail if someone breaks down. I do STILL believe even after ONE loss(insert sarcasm smiley here) that this team has what it takes to pull together as a team and overcome perceived short comings.

tony hipchest
07-06-2010, 11:02 PM
incase anyone missed the stats plastered on nfl.com and network the steelers were 4-1 with troy and 5-6 without him.

they had 11 turnovers in those five games with troy. 11 turnovers in the 11 games w/o him.

troy matters. it will be good to have him back.

mikegrimey
07-07-2010, 12:39 AM
I think that one loss was to the Bengals too, where Troy exited after 1 quarter.

I usually don't support "one man wrecking crew" theories, but it's tough to argue against Troy singlehandedly changing the outcome of a game.

I remember the Vikings game last year.
A 4th and 1, Favre connects to Percy Harvin who gets behind the defense and appears poised to run it in for a TD, before Polamalu grabs him from behind and tackles him at the 1. Minnessota couldn't punch it in and 3 plays later had to kick a field goal. If Minnessota would have gotten that TD that game might have turned out differently.

Also, he made a HUGE INT against the Browns, when the game was still 0-0 and Cribbs was wildcatting the Browns into the redzone.

Also, his presence in the secondary immediately made everyone else look better. Think Tyrone Carter vs. The Broncos. Ryan Clark looked like a chump without Troy last year.

Tomlin always talked about missing the splash plays last year, and it's no secret to anyone what the big difference was.

steelerchad
07-07-2010, 08:36 AM
I posted this last December. Pretty much shows alot of the same stats, only through 13 games. Troy is a TO machine, without him, they don't happen.

12-11-2009, 06:20 PM #1
steelerchad
Starter

Member Number: 5792 This whole mess is Troy's fault-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because he got hurt and when he doesn't play, we don't get any Turnovers.

Just a few stats to show how important he is to this D in getting them.

Of our 13 games Troy has only played 4 games and missed 9.

Of the 4 games he played we are 4-0.
Of the 9 games he missed we are 2-7.

In the 4 games he played our D forced 11 turnovers, or almost 3 per game.
In the 9 games he missed our D forced 5 turnovers, or almost half a turnover per game.

In all 4 of Troys games we got multiple turnovers.

Of the games Troy didn't play only the Baltimore game had 2 turnovers, which we lost with our rookie QB.
The other 3 TO's came against the Chargers, Lions (both wins), and KC (OT loss). So even without Troy, when we were able to get a TO we stood a decent chance of winning.

Our record in games that we forced at least 1 turnover - 6-2
Games that we didn't force any turnovers - 0-5

Sit Troy the rest of the year at this point and bring him back strong next year. He is the heart of this defense.

supa_fly_steeler
07-07-2010, 09:52 AM
incase anyone missed the stats plastered on nfl.com and network the steelers were 4-1 with troy and 5-6 without him.

they had 11 turnovers in those five games with troy. 11 turnovers in the 11 games w/o him.

troy matters. it will be good to have him back.

yeah but he might start to turn into ed reed and have after effects of that injury. Hopefully not

mikegrimey
07-07-2010, 03:48 PM
We can just hope for the best. It'll be a sad day if he has to hang up his cleats early because of injurys.
As a matter of fact, it would be sad, as a football fan, to see Ed Reed have to do that too.