PDA

View Full Version : This is not a Mendenhall Bashing Thread...but why did we draft him?

BlastFurnace
09-21-2009, 05:59 PM
To give him 3 or 4 carries a game?

Seriously, when are the Steelers ever going to give this guy the ball more than they do. Parker is a good running back, but he is not a great running back. If Mendenhall is the "future" based upon where they drafted him, it's time to take the training wheels off and let him play. We need to see what he can do.

Dallas has Barber, but Felix Jones gets plenty of touches a game. Houston has Lendale White, and Chris Johnson is on the field. Chicago traded Thomas Jones and gave the job to Forte. Before Stewart was hurt in Carolina, he was getting plenty of touches.

If all they are going to give him is 3 to 5 carries a game to give Willie a breather, Mewelde Moore could have done that and the draft pick could have been used elsewhere.

tony hipchest
09-21-2009, 06:06 PM
we hold these players down in the first few years of their careers, where it appears that they suck so that way, when it comes time to give them their second contract in the prime of their careers, we can get them on the cheap.

either that or we should just trade him because hes a bust, and we need to get value for him before he proves hes too valuable for us to afford.

those are 2 theories. i think we just take the BPA. we dont rebuild, we reload.

and while the 16th bullet in the clip may be just as effective as the 1st, it doesnt get shot until all the others are spent.

slippy
09-21-2009, 06:07 PM
i think we'll be running more in three of the next four games; cin, det, and cleveland. so i think we'll see more of mendenhall.

personally, i have the first two letters up on the board.....B...U....

i hope he proves me wrong.

NJarhead
09-21-2009, 06:10 PM
we hold these players down in the first few years of their careers, where it appears that they suck so that way, when it comes time to give them their second contract in the prime of their careers, we can get them on the cheap.

either that or we should just trade him because hes a bust, and we need to get value for him before he proves hes too valuable for us to afford.

and while the 16th bullet in the clip may be just as effective as the 1st, it doesnt get shot until all the others are spent.

Ooooh, I like that one Tone! :hatsoff:

Steel-Bryan
09-21-2009, 06:15 PM
He doesent get that many carries, he had a big rush against the bears, didnt u see that ? i think it was like 20 or 30 yards thru the 4 hole.

BlastFurnace
09-21-2009, 06:30 PM
He doesent get that many carries, he had a big rush against the bears, didnt u see that ? i think it was like 20 or 30 yards thru the 4 hole.

Yes. I saw that...I want to see more carries than just the other 2 he got that game.

steeldawg
09-21-2009, 06:35 PM
why ? are you tired of willie slipping and falling for minus 2 on every carry..

BlastFurnace
09-21-2009, 06:38 PM
why ? are you tired of willie slipping and falling for minus 2 on every carry..

I just want to see what he can do getting more of a workload. Willie will be gone after this year.

LamarrWoodleysFade
09-21-2009, 06:39 PM
You can't be a bust if you're injured for all of your rookie season and in your second season, you're coming back to a team that already has trouble running with their starter and it's been one game...

I know he isn't the sharpest of runners YET, but give him time. Sheesh.

cubanstogie
09-21-2009, 06:41 PM
I didn't see the game because I refused to buy Sunday Ticket to watch taped games but looking the the stats I was wondering if he got hurt or something 3 carries for 39 yards.

Vincent
09-21-2009, 06:53 PM

I think that succinctly sums up the "Steeler way". If you think about running one of these franchises successfully over time, how else would you do it?

BlastFurnace
09-21-2009, 06:58 PM
You can't be a bust if you're injured for all of your rookie season and in your second season, you're coming back to a team that already has trouble running with their starter and it's been one game...

I know he isn't the sharpest of runners YET, but give him time. Sheesh.

You're either missing the point or didn't take the time to read any posts before you wrote this. We have no problem giving him time. The problem is the amount of time he is getting.

Nighthawk
09-21-2009, 06:59 PM
I've been starting to wonder the same thing actually. Maybe it's just the fact it's week 2, and we can't seem to figure out what we'll do from one week to the next with our running game. I'd love to see him start getting more in the 10 touches+ per game. Also, where is the pony backfield we have been hearing rumors about since we drafted him? Mendenhall this year will be like Sweed (not the dropped passes)was last year for us. Meaning we want to see this kid in action, but I don't know how much of him we'll get to see this year.

LamarrWoodleysFade
09-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Maybe I did miss the point, but, people are still calling him a bust.

I don't think that's fair to say at this point, period. No matter how you try to slice it.

Shoes
09-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Mendenhall will be fine. One breakout game and these threads will be forgotten until we find the next victim.

BlastFurnace
09-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Mendenhall will be fine. One breakout game and these threads will be forgotten until we find the next victim.

IF they give him more than 3 carries a game, perhaps we will get a breakout game. That's all we are asking for...more carries.

MasterOfPuppets
09-21-2009, 07:40 PM
i've asked the same question myself, except i want to know why they wasted a number one pick on a back, when all they'll invest in a line to block for that number 1 pick is late round garbage...talk about putting the cart in front of the horse !!! :huh: ...oh wait...there's nothing but piles of :poop: in front of the horse ... i mean thats like buying tires for a car you don't have....:screwy:
a good line can make an average back look good, but a good back ain't gonna make a below average line look average.

jjpro11
09-21-2009, 09:42 PM
i still think Tomlin is afraid of his ball security. i think he holds the ball too far away from his body myself. it just seems like a fumble waiting to happen. he at least showed us some burst and vision yesterday. but he is no doubt a work in progress.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-21-2009, 09:57 PM
We drafted Mendenhall because there are many who believed that Jonathan Stewart, Darren McFadden and Rashard Mendenhall were the top 3 RB prospects in the draft.

Cowboy fans were upset that Jerry Jones took Felix Jones from his alma mater. Mendenhall was the BPA at that point and he is gonna be good.

I think he still has only played in 7 NFL games in his career, so I'll give him a few more before I get concerned. :doh:

LVSteelersfan
09-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Give him a break. He found a hole yesterday that Willie probably would have tried to juke outside for a loss or no gain. Mendenhall looks better than Parker as far as I am concerned. Give him a chance coach.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-21-2009, 10:33 PM
I didn't see the game but from the highlights I saw, Mendenhall hit the hole hard and had burst.

I am worried about him fumbling the ball, but that can be fixed. He just needs to change the way he holds the ball when he runs.

I would like to see more of him. If he is indeed the future, and seeing where he was taken he is considered such, he needs to see more action so they coaches know what he can do in a game.

He was the best player available when we picked. While sometimes taking the BPA is the best choice, it isn't always when you have a part of the team you need to improve (offensive line).

BlastFurnace
09-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Give him a break. He found a hole yesterday that Willie probably would have tried to juke outside for a loss or no gain. Mendenhall looks better than Parker as far as I am concerned. Give him a chance coach.

Exactly! All I want is to see him play.

ricksteelers55
09-21-2009, 11:02 PM
Back in the first draft of the Tomlin era(2007) I was rooting for the pick of Michael Bush in the 3rd round because I thought we needed to draft a back that could split the carries with FWP and complete him to bring the old smash and dash combo that we used to have with Bettis and Parker.

We picked Matt Spaeth instead and I thought it wasnt a good pick because TE can be found in later rounds.Not big backs with decent speed and power and versatility to block and throw(former QB)

The following year they drafted a RB called Rashard Mendenhall in the 1st round instead of trading down to stock pile or draft OL or DL.I thought to myself that kid has to have something special if we pass on Bush in 3rd round(when he would have been a 1st round talent if not injured) for a TE but spent a 1st on a RB when we clearly had other needs.

Then Rashard got injured against the Ravens and spent the whole year on IR.

Beginning of Willie's contract year they told us that they wanted to share the carries and all and that it would be 2 series for FWP - 1 for Rashard and all that.

After 2 games Mendenhall ran 7 times.Please dont tell me that it was just the circumstances of the games and that wasnt the best time or whatever.Willie ran poorly against the Titans and was ''ok'' at best against the Bears.So yeah I have to admit I also dont see where we're going with this guy.Unless of course they are things that we dont know about him.(perhaps attitude problems or lack of effort in practices,although im hearing that he's working hard)

I have to admit that I do love Rashard Mendenhall as a runner when he doesnt spin on the initial contact and goes forward instead(like his big run yesterday) but I'm not pleased with the way we use him.

The running game isnt as good as it used to be but we keep doing the same thing ? Use other backs,make some subs....use the guy u spent a 1st on dammit !!!!

that is just my opinion but I want to see more Mendy

BozMan
09-21-2009, 11:11 PM

Seriously, when are the Steelers ever going to give this guy the ball more than they do. Parker is a good running back, but he is not a great running back. If Mendenhall is the "future" based upon where they drafted him, it's time to take the training wheels off and let him play. We need to see what he can do.

Dallas has Barber, but Felix Jones gets plenty of touches a game. Houston has Lendale White, and Chris Johnson is on the field. Chicago traded Thomas Jones and gave the job to Forte. Before Stewart was hurt in Carolina, he was getting plenty of touches.

If all they are going to give him is 3 to 5 carries a game to give Willie a breather, Mewelde Moore could have done that and the draft pick could have been used elsewhere.

I've been wondering the same thing. I am an Illinois alum in addition to a Steeler fan, so I want Mendenhall to succeed for two reasons.

That said, I don't understand (and never have (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showpost.php?p=390140&postcount=533)) why the Steelers would spend a first round pick on an RB for him to only be a "change of pace" back. Such RBs can be had much lower in the draft. I still think the better choice for the Steelers would have been DL or OL... maybe Kentwan Balmer?

JackHammer
09-22-2009, 12:14 AM
I've been wondering the same thing. I am an Illinois alum in addition to a Steeler fan, so I want Mendenhall to succeed for two reasons.

That said, I don't understand (and never have (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showpost.php?p=390140&postcount=533)) why the Steelers would spend a first round pick on an RB for him to only be a "change of pace" back. Such RBs can be had much lower in the draft. I still think the better choice for the Steelers would have been DL or OL... maybe Kentwan Balmer?

IMO, their intention was to only have him be a change of pace back up until Parker either walks via free agency or takes less money for a lesser role. I also think they'll give him more carries as the season progresses. They need to know if he's capable of starting before they let Parker go.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-22-2009, 12:21 AM
IMO, their intention was to only have him be a change of pace back up until Parker either walks via free agency or takes less money for a lesser role. I also think they'll give him more carries as the season progresses. They need to know if he's capable of starting before they let Parker go.

If Parker keeps running like crap...he won't get less money for a smaller role and it won't matter if Mendy can start or not, he might still be a better choice than Parker.

I think he can be one helluva running back. He just needs the chance, and I think he will get that soon.

JackHammer
09-22-2009, 12:47 AM
If Parker keeps running like crap...he won't get less money for a smaller role and it won't matter if Mendy can start or not, he might still be a better choice than Parker.

I think he can be one helluva running back. He just needs the chance, and I think he will get that soon.

I don't really disagree with anything here. I think the only way we keep Parker is if he has a really good year AND takes a pay cut. That being said, we still need to see what Mendy is capable of now as opposed to next year. That's exactly why he's gonna get more carries as the season progresses. He might even end up being the starter before the end of this season.

Steeldude
09-22-2009, 12:54 AM
out of the 3 RBs i think moore has shown the best vision.

so far i am not impressed from the little i have seen from mendenhall. IMO, he does not look like a RB who likes to make contact.

Galax Steeler
09-22-2009, 03:41 AM
I think Mendenhall needs more time. You have to look at last year which was his rookie year he made one start and got hurt. That injury put him out for the season. He has not had alot of game time. We need to start working him in more and more. He will be fine.

sharkweek
09-22-2009, 03:56 AM
We drafted him because he was the by far the best player (in theory) available when it came time to pick. And since it wasn't like we needed a whole lot of help at a multiple number of positions like some other teams, we picked him because there weren't any other players left that we would have liked to take instead (such as for the OL - IIRC, that draft was notable for how many OL went in the 1st round, especially before our pick).

Of course on the flip side, we were criticized for picking him not only because we still had FWP, but because our OL was starting to draw some concerns (losing Faneca and not really have stellar performance the prior season), so it seemed silly in the sense that we already had a starting RB, but we were seeing a degrading OL that is supposed to open up holes for the RBs...

mmalone
09-22-2009, 07:09 AM
I have to admit that I do love Rashard Mendenhall as a runner when he doesnt spin on the initial contact and goes forward instead(like his big run yesterday) but I'm not pleased with the way we use him.

The running game isnt as good as it used to be but we keep doing the same thing ? Use other backs,make some subs....use the guy u spent a 1st on dammit !!!!

that is just my opinion but I want to see more Mendy

Its the OL
:popcorn:

CPanther95
09-22-2009, 07:13 AM
I'd kill for a "change of pace" back right about now. All of our backs seem to be running at the same pace.

HometownGal
09-22-2009, 07:28 AM
i've asked the same question myself, except i want to know why they wasted a number one pick on a back, when all they'll invest in a line to block for that number 1 pick is late round garbage...talk about putting the cart in front of the horse !!! :huh: ...oh wait...there's nothing but piles of :poop: in front of the horse ... i mean thats like buying tires for a car you don't have....:screwy:
a good line can make an average back look good, but a good back ain't gonna make a below average line look average.

Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner. :applaudit::thumbsup::applaudit:

stlrtruck
09-22-2009, 08:05 AM

See it's a post like this that cries for the sarcasm smiley! Really.

Good points Tony.

:thumbsup: :drink:

KeiselPower99
09-22-2009, 08:27 AM
I think the Steelers wanted Jonathon Stewart and after he was picked Mendenhall was the next "power" back on the board. I didnt like this pick then and still dont. I really hope Im wrong and he turns into a beast of a back.

stlrtruck
09-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Has everyone forgotten the screen play last week when he fell, got up and got almost 10 yards out of it by reversing field?

He's got the potential. He's hungry and I see it in his play. He's definitely not going to be an overnight success story (ala Adrian Peterson MIN) but that's because we've got people in place (whether we like it as a fan or not).

But I honestly believe that his time will come and we can only hope that the other holes in the offense get fixed along the way.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-22-2009, 10:34 AM
I'd kill for a "change of pace" back right about now. All of our backs seem to be running at the same pace.

What pace would that be that you would like to see?? A slower pace??

Because Moore is a slower back that needs to set up his blocks, Parker a guy that hits a hole with speed and Mendenhall somewere in the middle. Or do you just want to see another fat RB ......in that case we have Summers.

mmalone
09-22-2009, 11:44 AM
we need to use the screen play. i don't get why we don't give our backs a chance to run screens, has BA ever heard of the screen? sometimes we'll give Moore a route as a checkdown but that's about it. Does the team lack confidence for our current linemen to get downfield and make a block? I remember the days of Faneca we would have linemen 15 yards down the field making blocks for FWP, i don't ever see our current linemen more than 5 yards from the line of scrimmage

Hampton made a tackle on the sideline... he moves...

What happen to the Spint/Draw Play.... it worked every time in pre-season for Ben

2 games now and i have not seen it...

I like the roll out right in the 1st drive by Ben... the whole bears defense was attacking hartwig. ben was standing out in the flat by himself? nice play...
loosen up the D... i think we scored a TD on that drive...

then later ben rolled out left and scored a TD... i forgot.. someone told me on this board rolling out and running around the ends with parker is a no-no it is just for college players and high school... it doesnt work in the pros.... worked for Ben....

i think i seen 12 TD's this weekend with running backs running around the outside..

parker must be to slow to run to the outside :rolleyes:

Parkers to slow
Parker cant catch
The OL's no good
We dont execute plays well
The field was wet for the steelers
Troy was out
All our players obviously suck.
well....

Eventually you run out of excuses and it ends up on BA again.... We dont attack the weakness.. We dont have a killer attiude... We dont continue to expoit the defenses weakness. Example: If Miller is killing them, stick with Miller until they stop him.

Sorry...

revefsreleets
09-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Eventually you run out of excuses and it ends up on BA again.... We dont attack the weakness.. We dont have a killer attiude... We dont continue to expoit the defenses weakness. Example: If Miller is killing them, stick with Miller until they stop him.

Sorry...

Idiot.

That Ben play was DESIGNED beautifully BY Arians...and almost certainly called by him as well.

How could you be posting and reading on this board and not have, by NOW, at least ACCIDENTALLY learned something about football? Can't you absorb SOME kind of football IQ by osmosis or something? Your tired and stupid repeated lack of understanding about the way an offense runs, coupled with your horrifically blind and ignorant hate of Arians is SOOOOOO frustrating!

I just don't understand how you can continue to be SO dense!:banging:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-22-2009, 12:34 PM
someone told me on this board rolling out and running around the ends with parker is a no-no it is just for college players and high school... it doesnt work in the pros.... worked for Ben....
:

I TOLD YOU RUNNING RB'S ON SWEEPS DOESNT WORK IN THE NFL. I said it in response to your assertion that we should run Parker wide instead of up the middle. Here is the post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmalone
ok, lets just keep running up the middle and never around the ends with the quickest RB's in the league????

Honestly, that is a concept that does not work in the NFL. Its why Reggie Bush and his 4.33 -40 speed doesnt get him around the ends. You HAVE to run North-South in the NFL.

In college, the hashmarks are wider and if the ball is on the left hash, you can run speedsters like Parker, Bush, McFadden on a sweep wide. In the NFL, the hashmarks are in the middle and there is less opportunity to run wide.

You now twist that into the fact that Ben on a great bootleg call TD scores and refutes logic related to RB's???

I dont agree with Revefsreleets on many things.......but I now agree with him wholeheartedly that you know little of the game of football and will twist anything towards your blind hate of Arians. You, sonny are a pinhead. :wave:

revefsreleets
09-22-2009, 12:38 PM
To add insult (well, even MORE insult) to a near fatal injury to mmalone, every one of the big runs in the game we had with Bears? All up the middle.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-22-2009, 12:46 PM
To add insult (well, even MORE insult) to a near fatal injury to mmalone, every one of the big runs in the game we had with Bears? All up the middle.

WOW.....Imagine that. Running north-south in the NFL gets yardage???

If Malone was the OC we would be running student body right sweeps with Parker and naked bootlegs with our QB. Oh, I forgot.........mixing in some screen passes if he has figured out what they are yet. :doh:

"better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" -Benjamin Franklin

revefsreleets
09-22-2009, 12:57 PM

If Malone was the OC we would be running student body right sweeps with Parker and naked bootlegs with our QB. Oh, I forgot.........mixing in some screen passes if he has figured out what they are yet. :doh:

"better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" -Benjamin Franklin

If mmalone were the Steelers OC, one of the fans would assassinate him....ironically, for the very thing that HE accuses Arians of being: An idiot. It'd be justifiable homicide, too...and you'd have a damned tough time finding a judge or jury in Western PA who'd be willing to convict...

ricksteelers55
09-22-2009, 12:59 PM

and that is just why I dont understand why we still put parker,parker and parker.

Willie is capable of running between the tackles but he needs a OL that will give him huge holes as he wont find the hole unless there are evident.Otherwise he's a east-west guy trying to bounce outside that is why he's being stop so much in the backfield.(because it doesnt work in the NFL)

Mendenhall is capable of running between the tackles.He's more of a downhill runner and I think he can break some tackles too.They have to start using him a lil bit more and give him more than 3-4 carries a game.Yeah they might be scared that he will fumble the football but why do you keep him in your team then if you have no confidence in him ?

I'm one of those who think Willie's numbers could comeback(yeah I think blaming the OL is too easy they can run the ball) but in order to do so they will need to have Mendy as their workhorse,Willie as the change of pace and Moore 3rd back,passing downs

my 2 cents

RoethlisBURGHer
09-22-2009, 01:00 PM

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

EAST-WEST SCORES TOUCHDOWNS! IT DOESN'T MATTER IF LINEBACKERS IN THE NFL ARE FASTER, BIGGER, STRONGER, AND BETTER THAN THOSE IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL!

NORTH-SOUTH DOESN'T WORK!

[/sarcasm]

:rofl:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Rick, FWP has no issue running between the tackles. I think he just prefers to run behind a FB, so all he has to do is read the block of the guy in front of him.

When the O line traps, he knows where the hole is gonna be and hits if whether its there or not. When the Steelers block straight on and Summers doesnt give him a block, then he struggles.

IMO, the decline of Willie Parker started when Dan Kreider was let go.

GridironWarrior
09-22-2009, 06:23 PM
He had a nice run and catch and yet he wasn't used anymore after that? I want to see more of this kid.

steelreserve
09-22-2009, 06:31 PM
As always, we're committed to the Parker Only Offense. You should consider yourself lucky to see someone else touch the ball 4 times a game. That would've been unthinkable a couple years ago.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-22-2009, 07:15 PM
:coffee:

Lets wait to see what Mendenhall does before talking too much. One breakaway run where he didnt even fight to stay in bounds and leap for the endzone??? I dont know.

I personally would like to see Mendenhall as our main back.. But he has much to prove! Pound the ball with mendenhall. Wear down the defense, then let Willie do his thing

Steelboy84
09-22-2009, 07:19 PM
That's a million $ question. I asked this very thing in a thread last week, especially on those "up the middle" plays.

GridironWarrior
09-22-2009, 07:37 PM
I like Moore and all but he was in for just about the whole 4th quarter when the game was tied. Mendy needs more touches.

Steelboy84
09-22-2009, 07:41 PM
I like Moore and all but he was in for just about the whole 4th quarter when the game was tied. Mendy needs more touches.

Yea, maybe that will wake Willie up.

SteelerFanInStl
09-22-2009, 11:00 PM
I agree, he needs more touches.

The Lakelander
09-23-2009, 06:58 AM
Fast track this week gents .... :popcorn:

BlastFurnace
09-27-2009, 08:35 PM
I will ask this again....why did we draft him?

This guy can't suck this bad to not play at all.

SteelerFanInStl
09-27-2009, 10:46 PM
I'd like to hear more about why he didn't get any touches today. The announcers said something about Tomlin teaching him a lesson about practicing hard. Has he been dogging it in practice and getting in Tomlin's doghouse? I'd hate to think that we drafted Mendenhall and Sweed #1 and #2 last year when we really needed OL and they both disappoint. It's only their 2nd year but high draft picks should be contributing.

BozMan
09-28-2009, 01:29 AM
I'd like to hear more about why he didn't get any touches today. The announcers said something about Tomlin teaching him a lesson about practicing hard. Has he been dogging it in practice and getting in Tomlin's doghouse? I'd hate to think that we drafted Mendenhall and Sweed #1 and #2 last year when we really needed OL and they both disappoint. It's only their 2nd year but high draft picks should be contributing.

Yeah.... the top two draft picks from last year aren't looking so great these days... They need to turn things around, and very quickly.

mmalone
09-28-2009, 06:04 AM
The inactives:::

Pittsburgh QB Dennis Dixon (3rd QB), S Troy Polamalu, FB Frank Summers, CB Keenan Lewis, G Kraig Urbik, DE Nick Eason, WR Shaun McDonald, T Tony Hills

SteelerFanInStl
09-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Yeah.... the top two draft picks from last year aren't looking so great these days... They need to turn things around, and very quickly.

Throw Bruce Davis in at #3 and that draft isn't looking good. I do think that Mendenhall and Sweed can be productive players, but I'll be surprised if Davis is on the team next year.

Kvnfaber
09-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Throw Bruce Davis in at #3 and that draft isn't looking good. I do think that Mendenhall and Sweed can be productive players, but I'll be surprised if Davis is on the team next year.

He already got cut this year, isn't he on the practice squad?

SteelerFanInStl
09-28-2009, 09:44 AM
He already got cut this year, isn't he on the practice squad?

Damn, you're right. He got cut this year. My brain is still in a fog from yesterday. :laughing: He's not on the practice squad though.

SteelerFanInATL
09-29-2009, 03:23 PM

I agree 100%. Give him the ball, let him learn the ropes and I think we have a good RB.

BehindSteelCurtain
09-29-2009, 10:29 PM
With Parker potentially "Questionable" for the Chargers game with turf toe, Mendy will have his chance on national TV.

Shellshock
09-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Forte and Rice are miles ahead of Mendenhall in the running game. Someone dropped the ball with this pick.