PDA

View Full Version : G-20 Bull Shart is Already Beginning in the Burgh

HometownGal
09-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Ughhhhh. Just heard on KDKA news that there is a bomb scare which was discovered a little while ago in Shadyside which the bomb squad is now investigating. Also heard that a group of these whack jobs are in Federal Court this morning asking the court to issue an injunction on a property owner outside of the city who told these douchebags to stay off his property. They had parked their weirdo buses on his property and were taking up residence there. I have no doubt whatsoever that the Judge will tell 'em to go pound salt, as a property owner has the legal right to tell them to get the hell off his land.

Not going to be a fun couple of days around here. Almost all of the businesses and banks in downtown Pittsburgh will be closed and river traffic will not be permitted within a 5 mile perimeter of the city.

My daughter and her husband are doing details on Friday via their respective EMS organizations. Angie will be right in the heart of the melee at the Convention Center and Rob will be detailing at the Phipps Conservatory where Obaaaaaama will be. I'm scared to death for both of them. :horror: Please keep them and all of the public safety personnel in your prayers. I have the feeling they are going to need it.

Mayor Ravenstahl and County Head Honcho Onorato - say :wave: to your political careers.

revefsreleets
09-22-2009, 11:38 AM
My friend has witnessed a couple of these types of things...he says to sit back and enjoy the insanity, because you will NEVER see a bigger gathering of kooks and nuts and whackjobs in one place again.

His favorite ever was a huge group of women who dressed up as turtles to bring attention (you guessed it) to the "plight of the seas turtles". I think that one was the WTO meeting in Seattle. WTF sea turtles have to do with the World Trade Organization is anyone's guess, but there they were in all their zaniness and insanity.

I'm sure your daughter will be safe...he said these nutjobs are mostly harmless, just attention w hores....

BritishSteel
09-22-2009, 11:47 AM
I saw the aftermath of the last G8 summit in London. It looked like someone had dropped the place. Good wishes to your kin, HG.

revefsreleets
09-22-2009, 11:56 AM
On a side note (and since I simply cannot resist), pay attention to the number of arrests that occur. The Tea Parties, a largely conservative movement, have virtually no arrests, and I don't believe there were any in DC either.

But watch the liberals protest the G20. There WILL be violence, and there WILL be hundreds, if not thousands of arrests...

KeiselPower99
09-22-2009, 03:06 PM
This ought to be a fun couple of days to hear about.

AllD
09-22-2009, 05:48 PM
They should bring up natural gas and coal. And "Save the Donuts" of course.

HometownGal
09-22-2009, 07:56 PM
This ought to be a fun couple of days to hear about.

It sure isn't going to be a fun couple of days living here. :horror:

tony hipchest
09-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Bomb threat in Shadyside right now. Package with the letters TNT on it...seriously. Wile E. Coyote strikes again.

-Mikey from the 96.1 Kiss Morning Freak Show

KeiselPower99
09-22-2009, 09:01 PM
It sure isn't going to be a fun couple of days living here. :horror:

I do feel for everyone that lives and or works in Pittsburgh during all of this.

tony hipchest
09-22-2009, 09:21 PM
I do feel for everyone that lives and or works in Pittsburgh during all of this.why?

during all of what?

while i appreciate HTG's concern and fears for angie and her SIL, i get the feeling pgh is being compared to NYC after 9-11 with your post.

pitt is a beautiful city and an american icon. i am proud they were chosen to host such a worldly event (just like i was when they were chosen to host the bassmasters or majors golf tourney a few years back).

its a far cry from the dirty steel mill town image it had a few decades ago.

as for all of the radical protesters, i just hope some rightwing nutjob doesnt off 3 of pgh's finest to protest obama supposedly taking away all of their guns. :rolleyes:

oh wait.... "been there done that".

trying to turn this into a partisan issue is quite a reach and below the belt. if there are "hunnerds" of arrests (there wont be) i figure a good portion will be "good natured" citizens protesting obama himself.

X-Terminator
09-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Considering that I work at CMU, it's been a freaking zoo around here for the past few days. The area that is being closed off near Phipps is right behind the building I work in. And the people around here have been having a collective orgasm over the whole thing.

I'm SO glad that I will be off starting tomorrow at 8AM until next Tuesday night. I don't want to be anywhere near downtown or Oakland for the next few days. I have a feeling that this will be an event to remember, and NOT in a good way.

tony hipchest
09-23-2009, 12:20 AM
I'm SO glad that I will be off starting tomorrow at 8AM until next Tuesday night. I don't want to be anywhere near downtown or Oakland for the next few days. I have a feeling that this will be an event to remember, and NOT in a good way.:huh:
are you predicting an obama assassination in the pgh?

SCSTILLER
09-23-2009, 06:15 AM
why? :huh:

trying to turn this into a partisan issue is quite a reach and below the belt. if there are "hunnerds" of arrests (there wont be) i figure a good portion will be "good natured" citizens protesting obama himself.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/04/protests_at_the_g20_summit.html

This is what Pittsburgh is looking forward to? No thanks! Ask anyone who has been near one of these, not pretty!

X-Terminator
09-23-2009, 06:18 AM
:huh:
are you predicting an obama assassination in the pgh?

Did I say that? No, I didn't. It's going to be mayhem down there the next 2 days with all of the protests, and I'm expecting the worst as far as that goes. Their history is well-documented, and much of it is not good. Give me one good reason why I should expect anything different.

revefsreleets
09-23-2009, 08:04 AM
You have to understand the kind of protesters who show up at these things...they are typically the HYPER liberals, people who are so far left they make Obama look like Pat Buchanan. This is NOT a partisan issue, it's an ideological one. These people will be protesting Obama from the left of him...they are the leftist equivalent of the KKK or skinheads, EXTREME left wingers.

MOST of them are harmless, though...but they will make a huge mess downtown...

Godfather
09-23-2009, 10:05 AM
You have to understand the kind of protesters who show up at these things...they are typically the HYPER liberals, people who are so far left they make Obama look like Pat Buchanan. This is NOT a partisan issue, it's an ideological one. These people will be protesting Obama from the left of him...they are the leftist equivalent of the KKK or skinheads, EXTREME left wingers.

MOST of them are harmless, though...but they will make a huge mess downtown...

I've always wondered if they stand for anything at all or if they're just trash who like to break windows and start riots.

I love how they protest global institutions by attacking mom and pop businesses :doh:

KeiselPower99
09-23-2009, 01:55 PM
I saw these articles over on yahoo and thought what the heck might as well share them with yall

Pittsburgh a "steel city" of security for G20 summit

PITTSBURGH (Reuters) – Dubbed the "steel city" for its industrial history, Pittsburgh will live up to its name for a different reason when world leaders meet amid heavy security on Thursday and Friday for the Group of 20 (G20) summit.

Thousands of additional police have been brought in to the western Pennsylvania city and tall steel fencing is being erected along streets around the convention center where 19 leaders of developed and developing countries will meet.

While presidents and prime ministers will be discussing issues such as rebalancing the world economy and tackling climate change, Pittsburgh locals are worried about violent anti-G20 protests and disruption to business and traffic.

"It's a positive thing for Pittsburgh to be shown, but the downtown businesses are afraid. They really don't know what to expect," said Phillip Injeian, 54, a violin maker whose shop near the G20 headquarters is shadowed by a security fence.

Injeian said he plans to have classical music students playing on the street outside his shop on Thursday and Friday.

"I feel like that will soothe the beast," he said as he ate pizza in Mama Pina's Pizzeria down the street from his shop.

But protesters are not alone in wanting to send a message to G20 leaders. More than 25 religious leaders are also meeting in Pittsburgh to "remind world leaders that the most important indicator of economic recovery should be what happens to hungry and poor people."

G20 VS STEELERS

Nick Buffone, 56, the owner of Mama Pina's Pizzeria, said he is not sure if he will be able to get into downtown Pittsburgh to open his restaurant while the G20 is on.

"Nobody's explaining anything to us," he said. "I don't think it's benefiting us at all. People don't know what to expect."

Protests against a G20 meeting in London earlier this year turned violent when thousands of people took to the streets. Protesters are planning anti-G20 marches on Thursday and Friday.

Concrete barriers are already in place outside the nearby PNC Financial Services Group Inc building, suggested by anti-capitalist protesters as a target along with other companies such as Starbucks and McDonald's.

Pittsburgh police say 65 agencies were involved in G20 security but declined to detail how many officers will be on the streets.

But some of Pittsburgh's 313,000 residents seem more concerned about how their beloved Steelers football team, six time winners of the Super Bowl, will fare on the weekend against the Cincinnati Bengals.

In the nearby Strip District, Jim Pierce, 66, manages a Steelers shop and said that while he wasn't expecting many customers while the G20 was on, he hoped a world leader might become a fan.

"We would like to see someone stop here (to buy Steelers merchandise)," he said, laughing.

"I have seen nothing that will make us believe there's going to be problems (with protesters)," he said. "There were 300,000 people here for the Super Bowl parade in February and there was less talk of problems."

KeiselPower99
09-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Why Is the G-20 Being Held in Pittsburgh?

When White House press secretary Robert Gibbs announced in May that the Obama Administration had chosen to hold the Group of 20 summit in Pittsburgh, Pa., the press corps broke out laughing. It's tough to blame them. The meeting, which begins Sept. 24 and includes top financial officials from the world's 20 largest economies, carries with it a hefty security burden. In the past, local officials have had to cope with both terrorist threats and violent protests at the site of the summit, and it's the type of logistical nightmare that would seem to demand a venue accustomed to hosting globally important events. So why Pittsburgh?

The pick was left to Obama's discretion after the governors of the G-20 decided the event would be held in the U.S. Obama said he chose Pittsburgh to showcase the city's reinvention from an aging industrial town into a tech-heavy, eco-friendly metropolis with a burgeoning alternative-energy sector. The success story isn't all hype - Pittsburgh's unemployment and foreclosure rates are lower than the national average, and the sagging steel industry is no longer the sole engine of the city's economy.

Pittsburgh is just the second noncapital city to hold the event, after Montreal in 2000. But it shouldn't be too overjoyed. While the designation is certainly an honor, hosting the G-20 doesn't really have economic benefits. In addition to security concerns, the host pays a premium. To hold March's meeting of the G-20, London shelled out an estimated $131 million - a big number for any city to absorb, and more than four times the expected cost. With fewer than 4,000 people expected to attend the Pittsburgh summit, experts say the local economy should see a boost of only about $8 million. And while the U.S. government is covering many of the city's costs, the Pittsburgh city council had to temporarily shift $16 million in funding to cover outlays that they say will be reimbursed eventually.

HometownGal
09-23-2009, 09:12 PM
The pick was left to Obama's discretion after the governors of the G-20 decided the event would be held in the U.S. Obama said he chose Pittsburgh to showcase the city's reinvention from an aging industrial town into a tech-heavy, eco-friendly metropolis with a burgeoning alternative-energy sector.

Bullshit. It is being held in Pittsburgh because both NYC and Filthadelphia said thanks but no thanks. :jerkit:

"I have seen nothing that will make us believe there's going to be problems (with protesters)," he said. "There were 300,000 people here for the Super Bowl parade in February and there was less talk of problems."

Dude needs to put the crack pipe down or stop putting so much pepper on his Primanti's sandwich. :crazy: 300,000 people celebrating a Super Bowl victory vis-a-vis 300,000 nut job :poop: throwing lunatics protesting a gathering of world leaders??? :doh:

tony hipchest
09-23-2009, 10:57 PM
Did I say that? No, I didn't. It's going to be mayhem down there the next 2 days with all of the protests, and I'm expecting the worst as far as that goes. Their history is well-documented, and much of it is not good. Give me one good reason why I should expect anything different.

did i say you said that? no i didnt. i just asked a simple freaking question. geesh.

why so defensive?

R2sojr
09-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Yeah when i seen on the news that they were haning from the bridge i yelled CUT THE ROPES!!! and my wife just looked at me...lol:tt::tt:

revefsreleets
09-24-2009, 02:16 PM
So it's costing what? 16 million so far? And the gov't reimburses, so, okay...4,000 people spend about 8 mil, so THAT'S up money, but what about the damage all these hippies and weirdo's do? And estimates for that yet?

SteelCityMom
09-24-2009, 02:19 PM
There's a group marching from Lawrenceville to the Strip District now...and they are one of the only groups without a permit I guess. So far the bridge incidents are the only ones where anyone has gotten arrested, but I can't wait for this whole thing to be over with so the city can get back to normal.

Funny thing about it is, my best friend is an artist and is having an art show at the Rex Theatre in the South Side Saturday night. She's somewhat of a darker artist, and the theme is 1930's post apocalyptic art. She was laughing yesterday because she said 'yeah and my retarded ass decided it would be a great idea to have people running around in gas masks in the South Side during the G-20 convention.' Wishing her the best of luck Saturday lol.

SteelCityMom
09-24-2009, 02:22 PM
So it's costing what? 16 million so far? And the gov't reimburses, so, okay...4,000 people spend about 8 mil, so THAT'S up money, but what about the damage all these hippies and weirdo's do? And estimates for that yet?

Who knows lol.

One of these new creapos (they just said the name of the group, it's the Pittsburgh G-20 Resistance Project) is carrying a sign that says 'Kill 20, save millions'.....real f-ing smart.

SteelCityMom
09-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Bullshit. It is being held in Pittsburgh because both NYC and Filthadelphia said thanks but no thanks. :jerkit:

Dude needs to put the crack pipe down or stop putting so much pepper on his Primanti's sandwich. :crazy: 300,000 people celebrating a Super Bowl victory vis-a-vis 300,000 nut job :poop: throwing lunatics protesting a gathering of world leaders??? :doh:

Exactly, and I think they were nuts to accept having it hear in Pittsburgh, where the biggest thing close to an actual riot was when the Steelers won the SB in '05. The parades were nothing because people were happy...there was just a lot of mess to clean up.

There's no way I can be convinced that this city was prepared for something like this, financially or otherwise.

I have a feeling these people (right now) are going to end up getting gassed. They're trying to get as close to the DLCC as possible. Idiots.

SteelCityMom
09-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Haha...there's crowd that's chanting Let's Go Pens now. And carrying a banner that says the same.

Shellshock
09-24-2009, 09:08 PM
It sucks dealing with those sh^t heads, but it is good OT for the Cops. Have a safe tour if you are working it.

SCSTILLER
09-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Anybody else see this? The conspiracy theorists are trying to say it is military, or Obama thugs. I personally think these are SWAT team members or Staties that saw someone that is on a wanted list and went and got him. Love how all the protester are all surprised that one of them got arrested.

Xa5sT8yhHqE