PDA

View Full Version : ESPN NFL Power Rankings after week 2

Glace
09-22-2009, 03:04 PM
What are they smoking???

Steelers go from #1 to #6...understandable
Patriots go from #2 to #10....hilarious

But the big shocker....Baltimore jumps from #10...to #1....?!?!?

How about the Colts? They had the ball for 15 MINUTES and still won their game!
The Giants beat Dallas...in Dallas
The Jets handled the Patriots
Drew Brees is having the season of a lifetime.

Baltimore!?!?!?????

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings?year=2009&week=3

Christian Snyder
09-22-2009, 03:20 PM
The Colts should be #1. The Ravens should be #2.IMHO

steelreserve
09-22-2009, 03:58 PM
That's why these are early-season rankings. Baltimore's been good so far, but they'll get knocked down. I don't expect their offense to keep playing any good.

Saints ought to be a lot higher if you ask me, at least until someone proves they can stop them from scoring 50 points a game.

Wouldn't put the Giants at #2; they've won both games, but they've looked far from dominant.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Baltimore has played two teams who's defenses are non-existent.

They are about to play a third team with no defense, especially in the second half of a game so far this season.

And also, their defense hasn't been very impressive. They gave up 24 points to a Chargers team that almost lost to the Raiders.

revefsreleets
09-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Baltimore has played two teams who's defenses are non-existent.

They are about to play a third team with no defense, especially in the second half of a game so far this season.

And also, their defense hasn't been very impressive. They gave up 24 points to a Chargers team that almost lost to the Raiders.

And they gave up 17 to KC (7 were ST points) to an AWFUL KC team that has a back-up to a back-up playing QB.

The Ravens defense is formidable NEVERMORE...

Crow-Magnon
09-22-2009, 04:41 PM
It's ESPN. What else does one need to know? :laughing:

Colts should not be #1 after letting Miami control the ball for 75% of the game. NO scores a ton of points but gives up a lot, too. Then again, so did the Jints against Dallas.

I dunno. Maybe the Jets? So far, so good. But it is only the end of Week 2.

steelersfan782
09-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Rivers threw for 436 yards against the Ravens defense, so much for that, I think the Saints should be #1

Crow-Magnon
09-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Rivers threw for 436 yards against the Ravens defense, so much for that, I think the Saints should be #1

People keep bringing that stat up. Testeverde threw for over 500 yards against the Ravens in Week 16 of 2000. And Brunell racked up over 300 yards against that defense earlier in the season.

I'm not saying that the 2009 Ravens defense is as good as the 2000 defense, mind you. But stats can be deceiving. Wins and losses are what is important.

cubanstogie
09-24-2009, 10:10 AM
People keep bringing that stat up. Testeverde threw for over 500 yards against the Ravens in Week 16 of 2000. And Brunell racked up over 300 yards against that defense earlier in the season.

I'm not saying that the 2009 Ravens defense is as good as the 2000 defense, mind you. But stats can be deceiving. Wins and losses are what is important.

Not on this board. Besides winning our QB must not hold the ball for 2.8 seconds, our RB's must avg 4.0 yards per carry, and our run to pass ratio must be exactly even or we are one dimensional. Stats are king on this board. At least by a few anyway.

revefsreleets
09-24-2009, 10:12 AM
However, the pundits keep spewing out quotes like "With that defense, the Ratbirds will be (add nuthugging superlative here)".

It's nonsense. They barely beat an awful KC, and, even though the Chiefs didn't pick up much yardage, they hung in there and moved the ball and scored against the Rats. Then a depleted SD team hung 500 yards and 26 points on them. Fact is, SD's defense looked soft, and we KNOW KC sucks, so when Baltimore has to face a little stiffer competition, and they have to depend on their offense, the harsh reality will settle in. This is .500 or so team, and this will bear out over the course of the season...

steelerdave1969
09-24-2009, 01:07 PM
I cant believe the Steelers are ranked ahead of the Saints right now. Brees would pass for 5 td's against our secondary right now.. it would be a scary site..
:helmet:

Ravnet
09-24-2009, 02:36 PM
However, the pundits keep spewing out quotes like "With that defense, the Ratbirds will be (add nuthugging superlative here)".

It's nonsense. They barely beat an awful KC, and, even though the Chiefs didn't pick up much yardage, they hung in there and moved the ball and scored against the Rats. Then a depleted SD team hung 500 yards and 26 points on them. Fact is, SD's defense looked soft, and we KNOW KC sucks, so when Baltimore has to face a little stiffer competition, and they have to depend on their offense, the harsh reality will settle in. This is .500 or so team, and this will bear out over the course of the season...

I'd like for you to make a prediction about our defense, so that I can quote it at the end of the year.

Regarding the Ravens' overall record, you had us at 7-9 or some ridiculous number until Mason came back, at which point you bumped Baltimore back to 8-8.

With that said, would you like to guess where our defense will rank at the season's end?

stlrtruck
09-24-2009, 03:20 PM
With that said, would you like to guess where our defense will rank at the season's end?

In the top 5, somewhere right behind the Steelers (insert sarcasm smiley here)!

In all honestly, the ravens have always had a good defense and it seems that, at least for now, they have found a new burst of energy. But the question remains, can they sustain the entire season.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-24-2009, 03:24 PM
The Ravens defense will be a top six defense at the end of the year, IMHO.

revefsreleets
09-24-2009, 04:21 PM
The rats defense will be top 10 overall and the offense will be top 15. They will probably finish 9-7 or 10-6 (The SD win wasn't one I counted on, but the Chargers were missing LT and STILL almost won, even without a running game).

Looking at their upcoming games:
-Cleveland (trap game, but...the Browns are worse than KC) Win
-At NE...Brady will light 'em up. Loss
-Cinci- Home game, but I think the Bengals will also score at will by throwing the ball. Loss, but COULD be a win.
-At Minn. Loss.
-Denver. Struggle with the Chiefs, struggle with "Air Orton". Win (Denver sucks)
-Indy. Loss

4-4 and on track to a .500 or maybe one win above .500 season.

Crow-Magnon
09-24-2009, 08:59 PM
The rats defense will be top 10 overall and the offense will be top 15. They will probably finish 9-7 or 10-6 (The SD win wasn't one I counted on, but the Chargers were missing LT and STILL almost won, even without a running game).

Looking at their upcoming games:
-Cleveland (trap game, but...the Browns are worse than KC) Win
-At NE...Brady will light 'em up. Loss
-Cinci- Home game, but I think the Bengals will also score at will by throwing the ball. Loss, but COULD be a win.
-At Minn. Loss.
-Denver. Struggle with the Chiefs, struggle with "Air Orton". Win (Denver sucks)
-Indy. Loss

4-4 and on track to a .500 or maybe one win above .500 season.

I'll dispute that a bit.

-Cleveland...everyone calls that a trap game, but Cleveland is always a tough opponent (you know, that history thing). But they do suck this year. Win
-At NE...the Jets showed that this year, the Cheatriots aren't the team they used to be. Eff the prevent. Get in Brady's face. Win
-Cinci... I think this game could go either way, especially if Palmer has a hot day.
-At Minn... Peterson is a great RB, but he won't go over 100 yards. Favre will get sacked aplenty. Win
-Denver. You said it. Denver sucks. Win
-Indy... You also said it. Manning just knows how to beat Baltimore. And there's that history thing again. Loss

So, I see 6-2 if Cincy pulls one out at home.

I also see the Steelers at either 6-2 or 5-3 at most. And both Baltimore and Pittsburgh hovering around 10-6 or 11-5 at season's end, with maybe one of them winning the division at 12-4.