PDA

View Full Version : Plaxico Burress sentenced to 2 years in prison on weapons charge

mesaSteeler
09-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Plaxico Burress sentenced to 2 years in prison on weapons charge
By The Associated Press\
http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2009/09/plaxico_burress_sentenced_to_2.html

September 22, 2009, 10:37AM
NEW YORK — Former Super Bowl star Plaxico Burress has been sentenced to two years in prison for possessing a weapon at a New York City nightclub.

The former New York Giants wide receiver was sentenced Tuesday in Manhattan’s state Supreme Court. He will be supervised for two years after his release. Burress also used to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

He pleaded guilty last month to attempted criminal possession of a weapon. He expects to begin serving time immediately and says he hopes to return to football. The Giants released Burress in April.

Burress was at the Latin Quarter nightclub last November when a gun tucked into his waistband slipped down his leg and fired, wounding his thigh. Former teammate Antonio Pierce, who drove Burress to the hospital, was not indicted.

The Patriot
09-22-2009, 08:03 PM
That feels a bit excessive.

Why don't they just send him to dumbass camp for two weeks?

HometownGal
09-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Why don't they just send him to dumbass camp for two weeks?

You really want him at the Pats* practice facility? :flap:

The Patriot
09-22-2009, 08:21 PM

Ha! :laughing:

Can he play left tackle?

Christian Snyder
09-22-2009, 09:52 PM
2 years is ridiculous! I mean the guy shot himself accidentally, isn't that enough punishment?:mad:

Borski
09-22-2009, 10:43 PM
it is ridiculous, maybe they are making an example because how some celebs seem to have gotten off the hook easy in the past,. He doesn't deserve two years though. he only harmed himself, I would be fine with a few weeks of community service.

tony hipchest
09-22-2009, 11:05 PM
mandantory minimums.

its as simple as that.

i think it sucks as well an have never been a plex hater.

shit, i got 2 of his autographed rookie cards that have decreased in value tenfold. :dang:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-22-2009, 11:37 PM
Two years is excessive. At first I was adamant that he sees two years but now I feel bad for him.

I just wish he would have followed the laws and had it registered and a license to conceal it.

I never thought he was the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but two years when the only person you harmed was yourself.

I hope Plax and other celebs have learned a lesson from this.

Galax Steeler
09-23-2009, 04:05 AM

I guess there is always room for one more up there.:toofunny:

stlrtruck
09-23-2009, 08:11 AM
I think it's about time that players start to realize they can't get away with it just because they get paid millions of dollars to play a kid's game.

Celebrities need to be made examples of just like they make examples of every day joe's. Some times they get lenancy and some times their stupidity in court (aka not taking the first plea deal) gets them in the arse!

Crow-Magnon
09-23-2009, 08:45 AM
There are gangstas that pop a cap in a yo that don't get two years.

stlrtruck
09-23-2009, 09:48 AM
There are gangstas that pop a cap in a yo that don't get two years.

And they too should be sent up the river or have someone pop a cap in them! :noidea:

steelreserve
09-23-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm torn here. Part of me feels bad for him, because this is obviously a case of one-size-fits-all justice spitting out a result that doesn't fit the crime.

The other part of me lacks sympathy, because they offered him a plea deal of 60 days in jail and he turned it down like a dumbass.

Actually, he's a dumbass three times over -- once for the plea deal, once for not transferring over his carry permit (which would've made the whole thing legal), and a third time for being the epitome of gun un-safety. When you f*** up that many times in a row, it's hard to feel too sorry for the guy.

Godfather
09-23-2009, 10:07 AM
There's something wrong when you can get two years just for having a gun (unless you already have a felony conviction on your record).

klick81
09-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Problem is, NY has (i believe) some of the most strict gun laws. There is no such thing as legally carrying a concealed weapon in New York.

He also DID turn down a plea bargain, and that alone shows how profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery and self-absorbed Plaxico is. He thought he was gonna get away scott free because of his money and celebrety status.

Having said that, he only shot himself and theoretically speaking, punished himself enough.

I will say this though: if it were you or I, we'd be SCREWED from the get-go.

WindyCitySteelerFan
09-23-2009, 10:43 AM
If you want to walk around and ACT like a thug, you should be prepared to serve the TIME like a thug too. Enough said.

steelreserve
09-23-2009, 11:14 AM

I don't know about that. If it was the same kind of situation, where you were obviously NOT a gang member and didn't have the gun because you were up to no good, they might offer you the 60-day plea deal too. Kind of their way of getting around the mandatory sentence when they can see it doesn't fit the circumstances. Not to mention it's all the more likely since every DA's office I've ever heard of is facing a budget shortage and can't take every case to trial. That makes the chances all the better of getting an offer like that for you or any other non-violent offender.

fansince'76
09-23-2009, 11:28 AM
No sympathy here. He was offered an out in the form of a 60-day sentence on a plea deal and refused to take it. If he would've taken it, he'd already have had it out of the way and would more than likely be playing this season at some point for someone.

steelreserve
09-23-2009, 11:47 AM
No sympathy here. He was offered an out in the form of a 60-day sentence on a plea deal and refused to take it. If he would've taken it, he'd already have had it out of the way and would more than likely be playing this season at some point for someone.

Yeah, but Kommisar Goodell said he was going to suspend him the entire season if he wasn't in jail anyway.

What do you want to bet that would've somehow gotten miraculously reduced to 4 games if he'd signed with the Patriots?

sharkweek
09-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Yeah, but Kommisar Goodell said he was going to suspend him the entire season if he wasn't in jail anyway.

What do you want to bet that would've somehow gotten miraculously reduced to 4 games if he'd signed with the Patriots?

because not being able to play for one season is just as bad as being in jail for 2?

I don't know about you, but I'd rather be out of jail even if I have to risk not playing football, at least I can spend my millions on a year long vacation.

AllD
09-23-2009, 03:08 PM
He got railroaded especially if the plea was only 60 days. I believe he had the weapon with him partially for protection and also because it made him feel tougher. He got some bad advice and has been made an example of. Too bad for him.

steelreserve
09-23-2009, 04:12 PM
because not being able to play for one season is just as bad as being in jail for 2?

I don't know about you, but I'd rather be out of jail even if I have to risk not playing football, at least I can spend my millions on a year long vacation.

That's definitely right. I was just responding to FS76, who said he bet Plax would be playing football by now if he'd taken the deal. He'd probably still be suspended.

But yes, sitting out a suspension and passing the time by playing Xbox or drinking Grey Goose at the titty bar, sure beats the hell out of two years in state prison.

T&B fan
09-23-2009, 06:24 PM
I think it's about time that players start to realize they can't get away with it just because they get paid millions of dollars to play a kid's game.

Celebrities need to be made examples of just like they make examples of every day joe's. Some times they get lenancy and some times their stupidity in court (aka not taking the first plea deal) gets them in the arse!

you got it right . also he tryed to cover up everything whan it happend to . he was tryign to get the bouncers to not tell on him and make up some story , he got what he should have for being A hole . and for all of you who say well he just shot him self . he just got lucky it was just him self . he had no control over the gun . could have killed some one . 2 yrs if he good boy 20 months . if he would have taken the 60 days he could have been out in 45 :banging::banging:

Shellshock
09-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Problem is, NY has (i believe) some of the most strict gun laws. There is no such thing as legally carrying a concealed weapon in New York.

He also DID turn down a plea bargain, and that alone shows how profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery and self-absorbed Plaxico is. He thought he was gonna get away scott free because of his money and celebrety status.

Having said that, he only shot himself and theoretically speaking, punished himself enough.

You can conceal in NYC, but have to a apply for a conceal permit.(good luck getting)
The Two years was the plea bargain, he was facing a mandatory min of 31/2 years. I think he should have went to trial with his Giants jersey on. All he needed was one Giants fan on that jury.

Shellshock
09-24-2009, 08:46 PM
He got railroaded especially if the plea was only 60 days. I believe he had the weapon with him partially for protection and also because it made him feel tougher. He got some bad advice and has been made an example of. Too bad for him.

Never heard 60 days, he was offered the same deal anyone would get for a first time offender for a gun charge, which was 2 yrs.

steelreserve
09-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Never heard 60 days, he was offered the same deal anyone would get for a first time offender for a gun charge, which was 2 yrs.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/05/report_new_york_giants_burress_2.html

Former New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress turned down plea bargain to three-month sentence for gun possession, says report
By Mike Garafolo
May 28, 2009, 2:32PM
Craig Ruttle/MCTFormer Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress turned down a plea deal because he did not want to serve jail time, according to reports.

Back in March, ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reported Plaxico Burress had declined a couple of plea bargains his lawyer had worked out for him. (Sorry, I can't find a link and I'm not sure it was ever written, though I know Paolantonio reported it on-air.) Then, last month, ProFootballTalk.com delivered a similar report.

Now, Bob Papa, the Giants' radio play-by-play man (as well as a Sirius/XM Radio host and the voice of NFL Network's live games) has the details of what he's heard Burress has turned down.

"This is what I've been told and what I've heard," Papa said this morning on Sirius NFL Radio's "Morning Drive" program. "They worked out something where they had it down to about a three-month jail term with actually only two months served and about 1,500 hours of community service. And I think his lawyers felt that they had a pretty good deal. He doesn't want to go to jail at all. He shot down the deal - just like he shot down the new contract the Giants offered him to try to get his money back. He does not want to go to jail at all. So now coming up in another couple of weeks we're going to find out what's going to happen. But my guess is that the city of New York is not going to back off any kind of jail time.

"Evidently, he's gonna have to go to Rikers Island. He's deathly afraid of going. If he would have just taken the deal, evidently, when it originally was offered it would all be over with by now. But supposedly the community service hours and the jail time are not appealing to him. He does not understand that he is not in any kind of position of leverage. He has no leverage. He, not his representatives, he thinks he has leverage."

At this point, there's a lot of evidence to suggest Burress is the one holding up the process on a plea bargain that could have put him back on the field this season. (After any suspension by the league, of course.) If so, that's not a wise decision because jail time appears to be inevitable.

But as it pertains to the Giants, this news doesn't change anything with regard to his possibly playing for them again (before he was released). Remember, the biggest thing preventing his return to the team wasn't his jail time. Rather, it was his attitude.

Burress didn't want to play for the Giants again.

Through his agent, he requested a trade.

Burress also rejected any offers for a new contract. He also refused to settle his grievance over money lost in 2008.

And according to team president John Mara, Burress also didn't respond to general manager Jerry Reese's attempts to contact him.

So while Burress' reported resistance to a plea deal is apparently undermining his chances of returning to the NFL quickly, it likely didn't interfere with his return to the team he helped lead to Super Bowl XLII. After all, like his good friend Jeremy Shockey, Burress had clearly decided his days as a Giant were over -- jail time or no jail time.