PDA

View Full Version : A break from the past?

mesaSteeler
09-23-2009, 06:29 AM
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2009/09/22/a-break-from-the-past/
A break from the past?
September 22nd, 2009

The Steelers embrace their history, tradition and blue-collar ethos, and usually that is a good thing. But, with personnel that seem better suited to a more wide-open style on offense, it is fair to wonder if the Steelers’ past, as glorious as it is, is holding the team back in a sense.

Last week offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said the Steelers could easily run their no-huddle offense most, if not all, of the time. Then he chuckled and said they don’t because, well, this is the Steelers.

Maybe it is time for the Steelers to accept the reality that they are most effective on offense when they use the pass to set up the run. And coach Mike Tomlin said at his weekly news conference that he doesn’t care how the Steelers score points as long as they have at least one more of them than their opponent at the end of a game.

“I think that the great teams are capable of winning in many forms and fashions, playing to your strengths on a week to week basis based on the matchup,” Tomlin said. “I thought a great deal about that this offseason. You study a team like New England and you watch them walk into a stadium offensively week to week and they can be whatever they choose to be.

“They can beat you with four wide(outs), three wide(outs), three tight ends and it makes them very difficult to prepare for, and ultimately beat. We want to kind of create that persona.”

In other words, the Steelers want balance and plenty of options on offense. The running game showed signs of improvement from the first week to the second one, but the Steelers probably aren’t going to dominate on the ground as they have in the past.

That is not to say they should write off the running game. As Tomlin said, the season is way too young to make definitive statements about what the Steelers can — or can’t — do on offense.

“I think two weeks in it’s too early to place a persona on anyone,” he said. “I think over time it will become obvious what we are and we’re not interested in giving anyone a head’s up.”

HometownGal
09-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Once again, Coach T speaks it:

As Tomlin said, the season is way too young to make definitive statements about what the Steelers can — or can’t — do on offense.

“I think two weeks in it’s too early to place a persona on anyone,” he said. “I think over time it will become obvious what we are and we’re not interested in giving anyone a head’s up.”

:applaudit: :hatsoff:

X-Terminator
09-23-2009, 09:44 AM

He's right of course, but try telling that to the armchair OCs and the "sky is falling" crowd on this board.

Christian Snyder
09-23-2009, 09:52 AM
As Tomlin said, the season is way too young to make definitive statements about what the Steelers can — or can’t — do on offense.

He's right but try telling the ' sky is falling' crowd that!:doh::banging:

BlastFurnace
09-23-2009, 11:31 AM

Love Coach "T"

SteelMember
09-23-2009, 11:37 AM
He's right but try telling the ' sky is falling' crowd that!:doh::banging:

Where?

http://ceospeaks.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/disney-chicken-little-sky-falling.jpg

Christian Snyder
09-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Where?

http://ceospeaks.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/disney-chicken-little-sky-falling.jpg:chuckle::laughing:

wootawnee
09-23-2009, 01:59 PM
He's right of course, but try telling that to the armchair OCs and the "sky is falling" crowd on this board.

Ha Ha HA HA..................Pittsburgh fans are the biggest finger pointers in the league when the Steelers lose.................

Some advice...........Give respect to the team that just beat you..., button up your chinstrap next week..., and kick someones rear...........

Simple as that.......

Go cry to Mom..........