PDA

View Full Version : NFL Fines Carter for Olsen Hit

Kvnfaber
09-24-2009, 02:26 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_644772.html

This is retarded. Goodell and his pansy ways.

Steelers safety Tyrone Carter has been fined $5,000 for a hit he made on Chicago Bears tight end Greg Olsen in a 17-14 loss last Sunday.

Carter leveled Olsen following a catch along the sidelines and jarred the ball loose. He did not get penalized on the play that left Carter with a thigh contusion but the NFL fined him for a hit to the head.

"Unreal," said Carter, who plans to appeal the fine. "I watched the play over and over and I hit him in the shoulder. The NFL sees something different."

Carter played at less than 100 percent following the hit and he said he had trouble walking at the beginning of the week. He said his left leg has improved to the point that he will try to participate fully in practice today.

Carter, who has been starting at strong safety for the injured Troy Polamalu, said he doesn't have any doubt that he will be able to play Sunday against the Bengals.

"I know I won't be 100 percent," Carter said, "but as long as I'm around that 90 (to) 95 I'll be alright."

Kvnfaber
09-24-2009, 02:31 PM
U62u-upwh6s

Here's the video. Last I checked Olsen's head is not sticking out of his shoulder/chest.

Thanks Steelreserve

steelreserve
09-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Am I doing something wrong by putting the link inside the YOUTUBE brackets? Here it is, I will edit the post if I find out how to make it work correctly.

For Youtube videos, you have to just put the "number" of the video -- in your case U62u-upwh6s -- inside the brackets, or it messes it up. Took me a few tries to figure out too.

steelreserve
09-24-2009, 02:51 PM
and yeah ... this must be because of that new rule against shoulder-to-shoulder contact.

SteelMember
09-24-2009, 03:32 PM
:bs:

Indo
09-24-2009, 03:45 PM
I have been saying for several months now that it is all a part of the Pussification of Football. But, perhaps I was wrong----it should now be called the Goodellization of the Game.
His "Legacy" will include:

The Marsha Brady Knob-Slobbering Rule
The Bellicheat Spygate Cover-up
The Jerry Jones can do whatever he wants to eff up the CBA
The Sport should be Pussified down to the Two-Hand Tab Rule
and the We-Pretend -to -be -a -Family-Oriented, -Community Helping -League -who -professses -to -be -all -about -Integrity -and -Character, -but -if -a- convicted -felon -of -an ex-QB -will -help -sell -seats -and- shirts, -by -all -means -we -will -let -him -back -in -the -game Rule

:popcorn:

Steelerstrength
09-24-2009, 04:10 PM
and yeah ... this must be because of that new rule against shoulder-to-shoulder contact.

:iagree::iagree: Total F'in BS fine!!

Indo
09-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Pretty soon there's gonna be a new rule against Contact

RoethlisBURGHer
09-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Bullcrap. If there was a head shot there, it was invisible.

Texasteel
09-24-2009, 04:28 PM
U62u-upwh6s

Here's the video. Last I checked Olsen's head is not sticking out of his shoulder/chest.
Thanks Steelreserve

Maybe not, but Goodell has had his head in his ass since he took this job.

Words out. The Steelers play to rough for the rest of the teams, so fine them every chance you get. Even if you have to make something up.

Man I really hate Goodell.

steelreserve
09-24-2009, 04:59 PM
I think as a symbolic gesture, he should make a donation to a shelter for battered women. Since that's apparently what Goodell is trying to prevent with these kinds of rules.

Steelboy84
09-24-2009, 05:10 PM
How else is he supposed to break up the play then? wtf?

devilsdancefloor
09-24-2009, 05:48 PM
How else is he supposed to break up the play then? wtf?

he is suppose to run over and talk to olsen as he is running for a TD to run beside him and talk him out of scoring

AllD
09-24-2009, 06:19 PM
C-O-M-P-L-E-T-E B-U-L-L-S-H-E-E-T-C-A-L-L

Goodell is looking at the game from the perspective of a numbers cruncher instead of a field grunt. He is turning the NFL into baseball.

Steelboy84
09-24-2009, 07:07 PM
he is suppose to run over and talk to olsen as he is running for a TD to run beside him and talk him out of scoring

lol :rofl:

SteelersHoss
09-24-2009, 07:16 PM
I am wondering if the fine is for the 2nd hit on Olsen. That one was definately helmet to helmet, maybe we have it wrong??

Christian Snyder
09-24-2009, 07:17 PM
What the heck!?:mad::banging:

X-Terminator
09-24-2009, 07:19 PM
Yeah, the full-scale pussification of the NFL is complete. Goodell has done more to ruin the sport over the past 3 years than Paul Tagliabue could have done in a lifetime.

SteelersMongol
09-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Pretty soon there's gonna be a new rule against Contact

:chuckle:

:rofl:

Shellshock
09-24-2009, 09:14 PM
No sense in fussin' about it. He'll pay the fine and life will go on. :noidea:

I think the team pays the fine for him, then they write it off as a business expense.

Galax Steeler
09-25-2009, 03:29 AM
That call was cheap that is just playing some hard nosed football in my opinion. Goodel needs to get a real life.

steelrush
09-25-2009, 05:51 AM
"Yeah, I'm going to appeal it. I'm not going to let them just take my money just for nothing. See if I win or not,"

:toofunny:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09268/1000651-66.stm

SteelMember
09-25-2009, 06:52 AM
Steelers' Carter to appeal $5,000 fine
Safety criticizes NFL's position on hits
Friday, September 25, 2009
By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers safety Tyrone Carter plans to appeal the $5,000 fine he received yesterday from the NFL over a collision Sunday with Chicago tight end Greg Olsen -- an encounter that left Carter not only injured but also critical of the league's stance about television-replay hits, offensive fireworks and which body parts it strives to protect.

"Yeah, I'm going to appeal it. I'm not going to let them just take my money just for nothing. See if I win or not," Carter said yesterday, when he returned to practice to work out without pads and maintained that he will start Sunday in Cincinnati despite a bruised left thigh. "I think [the penalty is due to] everybody saying 'oooh-ahhh.' They had it all over TV. I didn't get a flag or anything. The referee was right there. They talked about it. And the dude said, 'Nah, he didn't hit him with his head; he led with his shoulder.' It was cool. But the NFL sees something different.

"They said I led with my head, like I hit him helmet to helmet. I didn't do that. I hit him with my shoulder. You know, that's how the league plays. The main thing about it, they want offenses to put scores on the board. ... Look at the rule: They say you can't hit a guy helmet to helmet or up top, but if I was to go lower and hit him in his knee, it's fine. So what do you think? Do you want to hit a guy to have a concussion, or do you want a guy to lose his knee and be done with his career?"

The 6-foot-5 Olsen was running a deep sideline pattern in Steelers territory and dropped the ball when he and Carter met, both falling to the turf injured with 4:47 remaining in the first half of what became a 17-14 Bears victory at Soldier Field.

"He was a big-target receiver, he's like 6-6 or something like that," said Carter, who last week was making his 42nd career start, this time -- and apparently for the next few games -- for the injured Troy Polamalu. "Here I am 5-9. How am I going to hit a guy 6-6 in the head? And I got hurt on the play. It's crazy. But that's what they said, and that's what they fined me for, but I can't let that stop me how I play the game."

Carter, who recalled being twice fined by the NFL previously in his 10 seasons, said he appealed a similar penalty in 2003 while he was playing for the New York Jets -- and accused of improperly clouting current Steelers teammate Hines Ward. That $7,500 fine was reduced by one-third after appeal, Carter said, adding: "So we're back to $5,000 again."

Carter said he expects to start against the Bengals. "Fortunately, I know I'll be ready for Sunday. I know I won't be 100 percent, but as long as I'm around that 90-95, I think I'll be all right."

Read more: http://postgazette.com/pg/09268/1000651-66.stm#ixzz0S7QdnfHx

steelballs
09-25-2009, 06:56 AM
All I can say is that there must be a lot of old school ex-NFLers turning over in their graves. This powder puff football crap has gone too far. The next thing you know they'll be fining guys for running too fast or jumping too high????

CPanther95
09-25-2009, 07:53 AM

They need one of those anti-date rape forms they give to college kids.

Carter: "I'm going to put my hands on your chest, is that OK?"

Olsen: "One hand, gently, but no nipple."

scsteeler
09-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Maybe they should give the players a small sand bag to throw at a player to indicate a hit and player is considered down upon contact of the sand bag! Of course if the bag hits the player in the face this may be subject to a league fine.

steelpride12
09-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Might as well start playing touch football.

Steelboy84
09-25-2009, 10:03 AM
They need one of those anti-date rape forms they give to college kids.

Carter: "I'm going to put my hands on your chest, is that OK?"

Olsen: "One hand, gently, but no nipple."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SteelerEmpire
09-25-2009, 10:08 AM
I knew they we're gonna try to mess with him on that.....

mmalone
09-25-2009, 11:00 AM
did the ravens have to pay for last years hit on ben? a helmut to ben's ribs in the back and after his throw. a late hit, use of helmut, spearing to the back. i think he cracked some ribs too....

i dont think the ravens paid for that one.

the steelers seem to be on the short end of all these calls one way or the other.

no calls for our LB's on blitzes and plenty of calls against our offense and defense for infractions...

it is frustrating...

steelreserve
09-25-2009, 11:43 AM
All I can say is that there must be a lot of old school ex-NFLers turning over in their graves. This powder puff football crap has gone too far. The next thing you know they'll be fining guys for running too fast or jumping too high????

I actually have seen them call penalties for jumping too high. On field goal attempts, they put in a rule saying that you can only try to block it by jumping straight up; you can't jump forward because you might crash into someone. Then there's another rule saying you can't push off the back of your teammate to jump higher. It's called "leaping", a 15-yard penalty.

I guess the rule is there to stop people from trying dirty tricks, or 300-pound nose tackles from flopping on top of the long snapper, but I've seen a few cases where they've called a leaping penalty when a guy just jumped so high on his own that they thought he must have been pushing off. I remember seeing a Monday Night game where Charles Woodson got called for it on a missed field goal, and whoever they were playing got a first down and eventually scored. On the replay, you could see he just jumped straight up in the air, but it was so high it fooled the officials.

T Bradshaw
09-25-2009, 11:46 AM
so much bullshit

lets just play flag football on sundays

Roger Goodell has ruined this league

With all these stupid rules this not football anymore

Fire Haley
09-25-2009, 11:49 AM
KFFL- Bears | Olsen did not see anything wrong with Carter hit

Fri, 25 Sep 2009 07:59:33 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports Chicago Bears TE Greg Olsen said he did not see anything wrong with Pittsburgh Steelers FS Tyrone Carter's hit on him Week 2, which Carter received a $5,000 fine for from the NFL. "It was a great hit, he made a great play. [Carter] did a good job, he timed it up real well, he got there just as the ball did. Actually, I thought I had a touchdown. He made a hell of a play," Olsen said

RoethlisBURGHer
09-25-2009, 12:14 PM

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports Chicago Bears TE Greg Olsen said he did not see anything wrong with Pittsburgh Steelers FS Tyrone Carter's hit on him Week 2, which Carter received a $5,000 fine for from the NFL. "It was a great hit, he made a great play. [Carter] did a good job, he timed it up real well, he got there just as the ball did. Actually, I thought I had a touchdown. He made a hell of a play," Olsen said

This is why I respect Olsen and the Bears (well, except for Cutler).

Kvnfaber
09-25-2009, 01:13 PM

Gotta love that, even the guy on the other end of the hit thinks it was a great football play. Goodell, OPEN YOUR EYES! This alone should make Carter's appeal go through.

fansince'76
09-25-2009, 02:01 PM
The pussification of the NFL continues. :shake01:

Sharkissle29
09-25-2009, 02:12 PM
this pisses me off to a degree i cant explain

SteelTalons
09-25-2009, 03:25 PM
profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilter Goodell

How long till this dude... Resigns, gets fired, tenures up, or something?! I mean really this kinda thing has gotten way beyond old.

We're gonna have to give Carter a raise to just pay off the fines he's gonna collect while Troy's out. :rolleyes:

memphissteelergirl
09-25-2009, 04:07 PM
:bs::bs::bs:

That is all.

beSteelmyheart
09-25-2009, 06:14 PM
profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilter Goodell

How long till this dude... Resigns, gets fired, tenures up, or something?! I mean really this kinda thing has gotten way beyond old.

We're gonna have to give Carter a raise to just pay off the fines he's gonna collect while Troy's out. :rolleyes:
He is unfortunately paving the way for the next profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilter to take over.

Fire Haley
09-25-2009, 06:24 PM
The pussification of the NFL continues. :shake01:

We can say pussification now?

steelerchad
09-25-2009, 07:57 PM
What really pisses me off about this is that if Carter doesn't make that hit full speed at exactly that moment, then Olsen makes the catch and a huge play for the Bears in a tight game.
I sure hope the Steelers are covering any of these BS fines for the players. I wouldn't even want the thought to slow up or not hit full speed enter any of my defenders minds.
The NFL game is too fast to have even the slightest hesitation.
For that matter the Polamalu flag and fine against the Titans was BS as well. He made contact in bounds and the continuation of the hit carried out of bounds. If Troy pulls up, that guy gets another yard or 2.
Isn't this game all about fighting for every inch?

Steelboy84
09-25-2009, 08:10 PM
You can't even hit anyone anymore unless you're getting fined.

Psyychoward86
09-25-2009, 08:13 PM
No surprise, just Goodell being a toolbag as usual

steel striker
09-25-2009, 08:37 PM
The NFL is the national Flag League and, I guess it is time to put up the pads and, issue flag belts. I'm sure John Madden advised Goodell on this latest BS fine. What's next a fine for intent of a good clean hit? I give up. The league protects everyone not named Ben Roethlisberger and, he has taken late shots with no call or fine.

jjpro11
09-26-2009, 02:15 AM
$5000 fine for hitting a guy too hard in the NFL. what a profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilter of shit.

steelreserve
09-26-2009, 04:30 AM
We can say pussification now?

Yes. Pussification of the NFL continues, but in the meantime, this message board allows us to say "pussification" and thereby becomes less pussified. I hope the irony is not lost on you.

steelreserve
09-26-2009, 04:32 AM
I sure hope the Steelers are covering any of these BS fines for the players. I wouldn't even want the thought to slow up or not hit full speed enter any of my defenders minds.

I think the best thing to do would be for the Steelers to "extend" Carter to the exact same contract with the exact same terms, the only difference being that it's got an extra $7,500 bonus. And announce it this week.

Aussie_steeler
09-26-2009, 04:38 AM
I think the best thing to do would be for the Steelers to "extend" Carter to the exact same contract with the exact same terms, the only difference being that it's got an extra $7,500 bonus. And announce it this week.

Sounds like a good plan. We have a little bit of room under the cap. I think the FO could play this game for a large part of the season.

The NFL ( No Fine League) - suits me fine.

Galax Steeler
09-26-2009, 08:24 AM
I think that is a bunch of :bs:

Christian Snyder
09-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Goodel wants to turn the NFL into touch football.:puke::banging:

SteelersTilIDie
09-26-2009, 08:19 PM
goodell is a good commissioner and that was head-head contact

stlrtruck
09-26-2009, 08:52 PM
goodell is a good commissioner and that was head-head contact

See MODS this post right here is the reason we seriously need a sarcasm smiley!

Someone could accidentally take this as a serious post! :laughing:

Texasteel
09-27-2009, 07:06 AM

OMG, I think he IS serious.:doh:

Christian Snyder
09-27-2009, 08:27 AM

Yes, we need a sarcasm smiley. Something like this: http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq314/pronghornmike/wink.gif

Hotrodder07
09-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Wow, I'm late to the party here, but holy crap how is that a bad hit? He led with his shoulder, and hit Olsen's shoulder/chest. How can they fine him for that? It was a terrific hit. Can't believe it.

IamTheSteelGod
09-27-2009, 09:37 AM
The NFL is fine happy lately! Its a contact sport!!! Get over it. That hit was a good one, the best thing he done all game lol.