PDA

View Full Version : Why is Arians a dirty word here?

Slanted August
09-24-2009, 08:07 PM
I feel like I am writing about some taboo topic but this is a discussion board, no? If a poster has an opinion and can make legit arguements on this opinion why should this be looked down upon? If you dont like it move on to the next thread. If you respectfully disagree then make your case so hopefully I can be educated on your point of view.

I am not writing just to make a shallow comment that "BA sucks!" and be negative because I have nothing better to b!tch about on one of the highest winning % franchises in modern football.

Actually, this past week I witnessed one of the best games that he called (That is assuming that Ben did not call any audibles when he saw the safeties cheating up and handed off to Rasheed/Willie on a couple productive runs). Just like the two minute drills, etc it is nice to where the OC gives Ben those options and allow him to continue to develop into an elite quarterback. I will also give him credit for that bunch formation that keeps the defense slightly honest and neutralized.

On the flipside we have a boatload of talent on offense with a line that is not our greatest asset. My frustration is that we have failed to improve in several areas such as screens (that could only help the Oline), short yardage, etc which is now going on three years.

Place the ball on the three yard line and give the Steelers 10 chances to score. How many times will they score 30%?, 40%?

Does anyone know if Arians had head coach interviews during the playoffs or after the Super Bowl? I honestly dont know but maybe there is a GM or owner that sees something that a simple fan like myself is blind to.

devilsdancefloor
09-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Basically there are alot of BA haters and the moment something bad happens we lose or do not put 50 points on the scoreboard they B!tch. I know ive seen it with my own eyes their are times you shake your head (that damn draw play). But all in all he does a pretty good job and he gets 0 love. It has gotten to a point where good god you cant take the whining anymore. could we do better maybe, could we do worse maybe. It boils down to coach tomilin & the FO like him. Also ben really likes him and that is a BIG BIG BIG plus for him makes him comfy. Anyway it is such old hat around here BA suck! fire BA!

Christian Snyder
09-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Basically there are alot of BA haters and the moment something bad happens we lose or do not put 50 points on the scoreboard they B!tch. I know ive seen it with my own eyes their are times you shake your head (that damn draw play). But all in all he does a pretty good job and he gets 0 love. It has gotten to a point where good god you cant take the whining anymore. could we do better maybe, could we do worse maybe. It boils down to coach tomilin & the FO like him. Also ben really likes him and that is a BIG BIG BIG plus for him makes him comfy. Anyway it is such old hat around here BA suck! fire BA!
Ditto.

Preacher
09-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Because in general, that topic has been beat to death

http://www.addisontweedy.com/Tweedy_Family/Blog/Entries/2007/11/1_Hungarian_Idioms_files/shapeimage_2.png

GridironWarrior
09-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Of course Ben like him because they now they are a pass 1st team. Wasn't Ben's problem with Whiz due to the fact they ran first?

Steel_Bus_24
09-24-2009, 10:33 PM
I think most people hold him responsible for killing our power running game

Steelers & I
09-25-2009, 12:41 AM
I think most people hold him responsible for killing our power running game

I think most people hold him responsible for killing our running game.

That's better.

78 passing plays to 48 running plays called thus far this season.

PTS
(29th)

YDS
(16th)

PASS YDS
(8th)

RUSH YDS
(28th)

Does anyone want to deny the fact that the Steelers are "pass happy" this eason?

HometownGal
09-25-2009, 03:18 AM
Because these new age Steelers fans don't understand the game, chose Arians as their scapegoat, hopped on the bandwagon in 2005, dismounted and hopped back on again last season. Gee - hope they didn't strain a groin or somethin'.

Steelers & I
09-25-2009, 05:22 AM
Because Steelers fans know a lemon when they see one. :thumbsup:

Slanted August
09-25-2009, 07:01 AM
Because in general, that topic has been beat to death

http://www.addisontweedy.com/Tweedy_Family/Blog/Entries/2007/11/1_Hungarian_Idioms_files/shapeimage_2.png

Preacher,

Beat to death in pro vs anti Arians?

Again, I only see a small portion snapshot of the screen on Sunday and can only comment on seeing what I see. I have seen Steeler sites that BD and analyze every play to the nth degree. I always love to hear their opinion because it is this type of fan that does not get caught up in statistics and really looks for the cause and effect of how a play developed.

Maybe to a fault I have always tried to look at the problem in determining the root cause so a corrective action can be put in place. This is not to point a finger but to address accountibility.

Lets say that Arians is adequate in his role. Also, given the assumption that he can't catch the ball (ie when Santonio has the dropsies or when Ben overthrows, etc. who or what needs to be corrected to improve our offensive production and efficiency?

I am realistic and am not expecting 500 yards of offense and 5 for 5 in the redzone. Maybe there is a number of people that see our production woes being greatly exaggerated but if we can look at it this way are our challenges:

Lack of execution - Who is responsible?
Poor scheme - Who is responsible?
Poor preparation causing errors (penelties, dropped passes, fumbles, missed assignments) - Who is responsible?
Lack of talent?

I am open minded and am trying to look at all point of views besides the ones that may look blatantly obvious.

stlrtruck
09-25-2009, 08:20 AM
I would summize it has to do with the change in offensive philosophy but also people fail to hold players accountable for the things you mentioned:

missed assignments
dropped passes
missing the holes (or getting there in time)

The coaches can only coach and regardless of the talent level on the field, if they don't play up to their potential, then it doesn't matter what they are taught Mon-Sat if they don't utilize it on Game Day!

And when they don't perform, people (in general) give the players a pass while looking directly, in this case, at Bruce Arians.

SteelerSal
09-25-2009, 08:26 AM
Preacher,

Beat to death in pro vs anti Arians?

Again, I only see a small portion snapshot of the screen on Sunday and can only comment on seeing what I see. I have seen Steeler sites that BD and analyze every play to the nth degree. I always love to hear their opinion because it is this type of fan that does not get caught up in statistics and really looks for the cause and effect of how a play developed.

Maybe to a fault I have always tried to look at the problem in determining the root cause so a corrective action can be put in place. This is not to point a finger but to address accountibility.

Lets say that Arians is adequate in his role. Also, given the assumption that he can't catch the ball (ie when Santonio has the dropsies or when Ben overthrows, etc. who or what needs to be corrected to improve our offensive production and efficiency?

I am realistic and am not expecting 500 yards of offense and 5 for 5 in the redzone. Maybe there is a number of people that see our production woes being greatly exaggerated but if we can look at it this way are our challenges:

Lack of execution - Who is responsible?
Poor scheme - Who is responsible?
Poor preparation causing errors (penelties, dropped passes, fumbles, missed assignments) - Who is responsible?
Lack of talent?

I am open minded and am trying to look at all point of views besides the ones that may look blatantly obvious.

Excellent post!!!!:thumbsup:

GridironWarrior
09-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Because these new age Steelers fans don't understand the game, chose Arians as their scapegoat, hopped on the bandwagon in 2005, dismounted and hopped back on again last season. Gee - hope they didn't strain a groin or somethin'.

So fans who don't agree with Arians are now labeled band wagon jumpers? I've been a Steelers fan long before 2005 and I do not like Arians as their coordinator. Guess I'm a band wagon jumper.

Wildcat97
09-25-2009, 09:02 AM
I think most people hold him responsible for killing our running game.

That's better.

78 passing plays to 48 running plays called thus far this season.

PTS
(29th)

YDS
(16th)

PASS YDS
(8th)

RUSH YDS
(28th)

Does anyone want to deny the fact that the Steelers are "pass happy" this eason?

I think that shows that there is NO power in the running game right now. I took FWP as my first running back in Fantasy and he is killing me. I miss the hard nose run the ball down your throat Steelers. Love those rings though!!! :tt:

X-Terminator
09-25-2009, 09:17 AM
It's really simple, SA. We hear the same old BS every time the Steelers play a game, win or lose. It's gotten old, and I'm sick of seeing it being discussed day after day after day after day. Even threads that really have nothing to do with BA end up being about BA.

Here's the bottom line for the haters. The FO, Mike Tomlin and Ben like him. The discussion should end right there.

fansince'76
09-25-2009, 02:15 PM
I've been a Steelers fan long before 2005 and I do not like Arians as their coordinator.

Is there anything about the team you do like? I have yet to see you not bitch endlessly about pretty much every facet of it.

GridironWarrior
09-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Is there anything about the team you do like? I have yet to see you not bitch endlessly about pretty much every facet of it.

Sure there are plenty of things I like Iíll list them:
Holmes, Polamalu, Ben, Ward, the whole Defense, LeBeau, Tomline of course, the great history the team has. Thatís to name a few. I even have a Rod Woodson plaque autographed by him with a note of authenticity that I got as a give way back when. The Steelers are a great organization and can beat anyone. Thatís why when I see them play subpar or with no passion or donít fix their flaws it irritates me. With the talent this team has it should not be struggling the way it is on offense the last 2 years. Especially when it comes to protecting the Franchise QB or opening holes up for a running game to help protect him as well.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
09-25-2009, 04:26 PM
I'd say that Arians gets hate because in many Steelers fans' minds, the defense can never be at fault, especially not LeBeau. The reason the running game has suffered is because of the loss of countless offensive linemen, like Hartings and Faneca, as well as Kreider. It's also worth noting that Ben has been asked to shoulder more of the load of the offense due to more experience. I'm happy with Arians; it just comes down to execution.

Big D
09-25-2009, 04:50 PM

gotta agree with you on this one. I promise you if we are 7-8 going into week 16 you will see half the activity you see today. Have fun on your patriots forums.....

HometownGal
09-25-2009, 07:41 PM
I would summize it has to do with the change in offensive philosophy but also people fail to hold players accountable for the things you mentioned:

missed assignments
dropped passes
missing the holes (or getting there in time)

The coaches can only coach and regardless of the talent level on the field, if they don't play up to their potential, then it doesn't matter what they are taught Mon-Sat if they don't utilize it on Game Day!

And when they don't perform, people (in general) give the players a pass while looking directly, in this case, at Bruce Arians.

B-I-N-G-O!!!!! :applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. AMEN.

GridironWarrior
09-25-2009, 07:55 PM
So not liking Arians makes you a bandwagon jumper?

Aussie_steeler
09-25-2009, 08:06 PM
In all these conversations there is minimal recognition of the contributions made by the opposition that we encounter on a weekly basis.

The steelers have a giant bullseye on their jersey fronts this year. Every team is wanting to knock off the current superbowl champions.

Their opposition elevate their play and give 110% to beat the world champs each and every week.

Fans on the other hand just see Bruce Arians as the culprit for all the stalled drives and blown plays.

Some balance please

LVSteelersfan
09-25-2009, 08:37 PM
I have been one of the ardent Arians bashers over the past couple years. I have to say I actually really liked the play calling for the most part against the Bears. If Ben doesn't get sacked on third down on that last drive, I think we win easily. But that is football. We are stuck with Arians. I support him fully for now and await to see what happens over the next few weeks. I hope they are ready to handle Odom and keep him off Ben.

HometownGal
09-25-2009, 08:43 PM
I hope they are ready to handle Odom and keep him off Ben.

And if they don't, I can guarantee you that the BA haters will be out in full force and I'll be right here to beat 'em down. If the unfairness and scapegoating wasn't so pitiful, it would actually be funny. :shake02:

So not liking Arians makes you a bandwagon jumper?

In my eyes - YES, as not a one of you has given even a fraction of a legitimate reason for bashing him so ruthlessly. If he was canned at the end of the season - which he WON'T be - you relentless haters would just find another scapegoat to demean and blame because no matter what the Steelers do right or wrong - you will always find something to bitch and moan about and someone to point the finger at, though football is and always has been a TEAM sport.

pepsyman1
09-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Hometown Gal
I'm usually right there with you on most things, but I just can't do it on this one. Although I haven't been on this forum for long, I've been a devoted Steelers fan for over 30 years. I love the team and the things they do well and the things they struggle with I question and hope they will improve/correct them ( I still cant understand why Dick Lebeau has our cornerbacks play 10 yards off the receivers on 3rd and short-medium yardage when we blitz) Offensive production was frequently an issue when Cowher was head coach and many of us just hoped he would open up the offense just a little bit and not just try to sit on a short lead when we had the ability to put teams away. During some of those Cowher years Arians got his only previous NFL stint in the OC chair with Cleveland and his teams did miserably. His offenses were ranked 31st, 23rd, and then 26th. He obviously didn't have a huge talent base when in Cleveland, but over 3 seasons made very little improvement. When Arians stepped into the role here in Pittsburgh he was given a team with a very solid talent pool that was ranked 7th in offense the year before and subsequently took them to 17th and 22nd ranking. Am I missing something here? I see 5 years worth of data that points to the fact that he is isn't effective as an OC. Our success last year usually fell on the shoulders of the defense and Big Ben's play calling ability and tenacity at the end of games. We have more than enough talent and an incredible defense that we shouldn't have to suffer down to the last drive every game.

xbroughneck
09-25-2009, 10:11 PM
In my eyes - YES, as not a one of you has given even a fraction of a legitimate reason for bashing him so ruthlessly. If he was canned at the end of the season - which he WON'T be - you relentless haters would just find another scapegoat to demean and blame because no matter what the Steelers do right or wrong - you will always find something to bitch and moan about and someone to point the finger at, though football is and always has been a TEAM sport.

Wait. By this same logic, people that complained about Kordell's lack of ability to hit receivers in stride, his usual short hop a pass...(which really got bad after he made that stupid commercial where he was jogging through some suberb)...in your eyes we were all bandwagon fans huh?

Keep thinking that way. You're entitled.

I'm just as entitled to think you're a kool aid drinker no matter how bad our offensive run stats are. If we don't have the PLAYERS THAT CAN EXECUTE, is it ok to blame the Steelers front office for drafting and paying these players that can't execute? Or are we bandwagon fans for thinking Willie Parker has poor between the tackle vision?

Bandwagon because we don't like Arians play calling. Ha Ha. That's funny.:rofl:

I've heard people who could care less whether the Steelers succeed or fail, complain about the situational play calling the Steelers implement. Guess they are closet bandwagon Steeler fans too.

The whole Arians discussion is dead horse, I agree. But to insult Steeler fans because we don't like his game, that's kinda low and uncalled for.

GridironWarrior
09-25-2009, 11:34 PM
Hometowngal, for a mod I'm disappointed in your view. Just because some of us don't agree with Arians we are not bandwagoners. Like I said before, I've been a fan long before 05 when they won. I've been thru some dark ages with these team. Since when does having a different opinion make us bandwagoners? How many times do we have to state how bad he manages our talent or his play calling or him stating that HIS offense won't use a fullback? Or how we have no balance cause of him?

X-Terminator
09-26-2009, 12:11 AM
Wait. By this same logic, people that complained about Kordell's lack of ability to hit receivers in stride, his usual short hop a pass...(which really got bad after he made that stupid commercial where he was jogging through some suberb)...in your eyes we were all bandwagon fans huh?

I'm just as entitled to think you're a kool aid drinker no matter how bad our offensive run stats are. If we don't have the PLAYERS THAT CAN EXECUTE, is it ok to blame the Steelers front office for drafting and paying these players that can't execute? Or are we bandwagon fans for thinking Willie Parker has poor between the tackle vision?

I've heard people who could care less whether the Steelers succeed or fail, complain about the situational play calling the Steelers implement. Guess they are closet bandwagon Steeler fans too.

The whole Arians discussion is dead horse, I agree. But to insult Steeler fans because we don't like his game, that's kinda low and uncalled for.

No. She just supports her team NO MATTER WHAT, even if they suck. Something that every single person on this board should learn from and respect rather than put her down for - and constantly, I might add. Too many people here think they're entitled to a perfect team every single season, or win the Super Bowl every year, and the fact of the matter is it DOES NOT HAPPEN. So the best thing for you to do is to just get on board and cheer as loud as you can, and if they happen to have a bad season, to just accept it, move on and go get 'em next season, rather than constantly acting like a spoiled brat and whine, bitch and moan, even after WINS.

sackmaster56
09-26-2009, 04:22 AM
i have cussed him and I have applauded him. It boils down to theplayers doing their job. However, I do think that he is pretty predictable when the offense is near the goal line. Maybe an audible was called in Chicago on both scores but it did look to be a little different.

Texasteel
09-26-2009, 06:32 AM

HTGs patients has been worn thin, as with several of us, by the constant bombardment of BA hate post that we get before and after every game. He has been blamed for everything that go's wrong with this team. If the line misses a block, its his fault, if the defense gives up 21 it's his fault, and if we don't agree with a play, well break out the tar and feathers. I haven't heard anything about the Titanic yet, but I'm sure that is coming. You see if a play doesn't work it's his play and his fault. If a play works it's only because of Ben, the same Ben that just a couple of years ago a lot of these same people were screaming would never be a Pro QB. If Arians gets the sole blame for what didn't work, then he needs the sole credit for what does work. You want to talk about unfair, unfair is laying this teams problems at BAs feet, and not giving him any credit for the good stuff.

HometownGal
09-26-2009, 07:24 AM

God my head hurt after reading your diatribe.:banging: All I can say to you and everyone else around here who take every opportunity to scapegoat and bash our coaches and players who just won a freakin' Super Bowl is - get that resume into the Steelers FO fast and in a hurry. Why waste your football guru-ism and expertise as a budding NFL coach here on an internet BB? :drink: :shake02:

P.S. I'm proud to be a Kool-Aid drinker of a team that has 6 Lombardi trophies - the last trophy won just this past season. :flap:

HometownGal
09-26-2009, 07:26 AM
Since my PM box is full of complaints about yet another Arians bashing thread just 2 games into the season, I'm going to close it. Sorry to the OP.