PDA

View Full Version : Steelers: Stop holding Harrison

mesaSteeler
09-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Steelers: Stop holding Harrison
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1424/2009/september/25/steelers-stop-holding-harrison.html
By: Mike Bires -
Beaver County Times

Friday September 25, 2009 12:09 AM

The Times/LUCY SCHALY 1/11/09 Steelers beat Chargers in AFC playoff game at Heinz Field. James Harrison on his knees after a play is over.

PITTSBURGH — If referees wanted, they could call holding on every play in any NFL game.

And, according to Steelers inside linebacker James Farrior, the NFL turns a blind eye to countless holding infractions because “this league is about scoring points. So they’ll try to do whatever they can to put more points on the board.”

Maybe that explains why outside James Harrison is sackless after two games.

At least that’s the theory the Steelers adhere to.

Harrison averaged a sack per game as the 2008 Defensive Player of the Year. Not only hasn’t he put down a quarterback this season, he’s only had one QB hurry.

From all indications, he is no different than the menacing pass rusher he was a year ago.

So, maybe game-day officials are not calling holding penalties on the men blocking Harrison — which has been Michael Roos, the Titans’ left tackle, and Orlando Pace, the Bears’ left tackle.

Neither Roos nor Pace were penalized when they played the Steelers.

It can be argued that Harrison didn’t play well against Roos, who played in last year’s Pro Bowl, or Pace, an aging 13-year veteran who played in seven straight Pro Bowls from 1999-2005.

The Steelers disagree, especially in regards to Sunday’s 17-14 loss in Chicago.

Because he fears that the NFL will fine him for criticizing referees, Harrison chose not to directly address the officiating in the first two games. But he did say that he was probably held eight to nine times in Chicago.

Andre Frazier, a backup linebacker, counted five instances in which he believed Pace held Harrison on Sunday.

“It’s every week … James Harrison is getting held,” outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley said. “It’s not like it’s not obvious. It’s in clear view. He’s just not getting the calls.

“Here’s how I look at it. Here’s a guy who was NFL Defensive Player of the Year last year with 16 sacks, and he doesn’t have any sacks. Something’s going on. I think the league has to take a closer look at that.”

The league is doing just that because the Steelers have sent videotape to Mike Pereira, the NFL’s Vice President for Officiating, to support the case.

Harrison, Farrior and Woodley, however, don’t believe the league will instruct officials to keep a closer eye on the tackles blocking Harrison.

CPanther95
09-25-2009, 08:34 AM
What sucks is if they would just call one of the early blatant ones, it'd probably eliminate over half of the rest of them.

stlrtruck
09-25-2009, 09:24 AM
What sucks is if they would just call one of the early blatant ones, it'd probably eliminate over half of the rest of them.

No it wouldn't, because the only way they are going to stop Harrison is to hold him. There's no way they can contain him on straight up blocking without raping him.

tyler289
09-25-2009, 09:30 AM
He's held on almost every play, and the referees ignore it to call ticky-tack on us.

If you're not gonna call it on the opponent, don't call it on us.

scsteeler
09-25-2009, 09:30 AM
yes if they want to call something why not call the holding on Harrison. I saw so many that allowed Cutler to make plays it made me sick. I guess the steelers will have to find a way to overcome this also.

R2sojr
09-25-2009, 09:54 AM
I'd say one good HEAD SLAP like the old days should stop the holding...lol:tt02:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-25-2009, 09:59 AM
I say the next guy that holds Harrison, in an attempt to get out of the hold, Silverback should break one of his arms.

I mean, since the refs won't call it on the other team's offensive line but they call the ticky-tack and ghost holds on our team's line all the damn time.

KeiselPower99
09-25-2009, 10:18 AM
All the talk we have done this week is gonna make Goofell watch us more and find ways to fine us. Harrison is being held every game and its ridiculous. Guess we will just have to blitz him from differant spots on the field.

mmalone
09-25-2009, 10:36 AM
All the talk we have done this week is gonna make Goofell watch us more and find ways to fine us. Harrison is being held every game and its ridiculous. Guess we will just have to blitz him from differant spots on the field.

maybe we should send woodley and harrison to soccer camp.

they can learn the fine art of adding drama to a good foul...

Steelboy84
09-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Harrison got held on nearly every play last week, but only what, 2 flags the whole game?

GridironWarrior
09-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Yeah Goodell is probably sitting back laughing his butt off. I miss Paul Tagliabeu (man I can’t spell his last name). I hope the refs start to call this. It’s not fair. We shouldn’t have to fight another team and the refs at the same time. And how come no one ever calls roughing the passer on Ben?

SteelerEmpire
09-25-2009, 11:18 AM
I KNEW "something" sinister was going on....

vasteeler
09-25-2009, 11:35 AM
yeah there were a few times when i was hollering at the tv about the holds
and those were just the blatent ones

smheart78
09-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Harrison stated : "I've had officials tell me if you were closer I would have called it," he said. "Well, if [the blocker] wasn't holding, I would have been closer. If he wouldn't have held me, I probably would have sacked [Cutler]."
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09268/1000654-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0S7t3rcJ7

That is troubling :banging:

steelreserve
09-25-2009, 12:49 PM
I cannot tell you how many times I have seen Harrison have a clear shot at the QB from about 5 feet away, only to fall down because some son of a bitch shoves him in the back right out in front of everybody, plain as day. At least half a dozen so far this year, probably more.

sherlock
09-25-2009, 01:33 PM
No it wouldn't, because the only way they are going to stop Harrison is to hold him. There's no way they can contain him on straight up blocking without raping him.

I think you`re dead right there stirtruck....He`s just a total beast!

Jmat
09-25-2009, 01:42 PM
I came to the conclusion after last weeks game than I no longer understand what is considered holding or what is considered rough the passer.
I've never seen a player get so flagrantly held, yet it's never called, as much as Silverback.
Then you see the most innocent grab of a jersey and it's a holding.

Then a defensive player falls and hits the toe of the quarterback and it's a roughing call. Yet Ben was clotheslined when he threw that pick last week yet that's okay.

The refs have been put in a lousy situation in making calls as have the defensive players knowing what they can and can't do.

Every officiating crew calls everything differently. Some call everything some call nothing.

mmalone
09-25-2009, 02:13 PM
I cannot tell you how many times I have seen Harrison have a clear shot at the QB from about 5 feet away, only to fall down because some son of a bitch shoves him in the back right out in front of everybody, plain as day. At least half a dozen so far this year, probably more.

maybe the league is trying to force blitz teams to do something else so the game is safer????

dont call the holds on blitzes and you eventually have to stop blitzing or you will lose the game with poor field coverage.?

far fetched... probably... but its an idea... :wave:

AllD
09-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Harrison gets held alot around the neck. The LTs are taller and he tries to go around and under. They just put an arm around his neck to slow him up on the outside. The refs don't call it because they don't grab his jersey. B.S.

Slanted August
09-25-2009, 03:32 PM
During the playoffs last year it got so bad that I poked around the net (thank you google) and found the number to the NFL referee office. I then left a ridiculous voice mail ranting like some crazed lunatic fan on how Harrison is being held on almost every play and holding is never called, etc. I even left my number so I can reference which games to them. They never called back and I am lucky I did not get accused of harassment. They review every game and for some reason are instructed not to flag for this.

SteelC7
09-25-2009, 05:32 PM
they make up for it by calling tons of holding penalties on the steelers offensive line, the refs have always hated the steelers, anybody remember the polamalu INT in the '05 playoffs against the colts that was taken away...of course the league LATER admitted to it being wrong, same with the breakup of the last attempt play of the chargers in the regular season that polamalu returned for a TD, wasnt called a touchdown but later was said that it was, maybe they just hate troy, they called 2 or 3 penalties on him this season and he only played a half of football

Hammer Of The GODS
09-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Lets face it, the Steelers could send a THOUSAND plays to the NFL officials and it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference. Why?

Potsie said it best, “this league is about scoring points. So they’ll try to do whatever they can to put more points on the board.” So, the league is geared to the offenses scoring points. The rules are so lopsided towards the offense that it is nearly impossible for a defense to go a whole game without some BS penalty involving PI, roughing the passer or just breathing in the direction of an offensive player.

The worst part of it all is the INCONSISTANCY!

The only team that can get an audiance with Goodeal and the refs is the fa-king CHEATRIOTS!

Oh and one more thing.......... GET THE TACKLES FAT ASSES BACK ON THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE!

markymarc
09-25-2009, 09:36 PM
It's amazing that this topic is going into it's 2nd year and the damn NFL officials aren't doing anything about it. Like it was stated Harrison was the DPOY last year and can only go sack less in 2 games for 1 reason and that would be getting held when he rushes the QB. But of course that won't stop the officials from calling holding on our OL!

LVSteelersfan
09-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Get used to it. I don't see it changing. Lebeau needs to do some stunts or something to get him up the middle instead of the same old play from the side. If it doesn't work any more, try something else. We do seem to get an awful lot of questionable holding calls on our guys though. Not right, but it probably won't change.

jjpro11
09-26-2009, 03:12 AM
i got my hopes up in the preseason when i saw the article saying the league would be calling more holding calls.. guess it was all just for show. the same thing as last year, if not worse.

i'd love for just one game to see a ref go rebel and call 8 or more holding penalties on the LT going up against Harrison.

SteelersTilIDie
09-26-2009, 09:20 PM
everyone is going to inevitably hold harrison on every play and as much as i hate it i agree that the refs can't call it every play cause it would ruin the integrity of the game

markymarc
09-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Lebeau needs to do some stunts or something to get him up the middle instead of the same old play from the side. If it doesn't work any more, try something else.

Maybe today LeBeau can bring Harrison and Woodley from the same side a few times.

steel striker
09-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Even the guys who call the games have noticed that Harrison is getting held and, have said so. They have talked about some of the holding calls against our o-line when there was no such thing. It seem seems it is always us against the world. Much like when the NFL protects every QB not named Ben Roethlisberger. You can't have it both ways. Take the PI call against Troy against the titans that was one of the worst calls I have ever seen.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Well.......... I think its time for Tomlin to pull a Cowher and place a picture of harrison being held (or several pictures) in the refs pocket......

Tomlin is the only one on the sideline that really can say anyting to the refs (to an extent) without being fined/penalized.
He needs to step up and do it

SteelersMongol
09-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Harrison stated : "I've had officials tell me if you were closer I would have called it," he said. "Well, if [the blocker] wasn't holding, I would have been closer. If he wouldn't have held me, I probably would have sacked [Cutler]."
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09268/1000654-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0S7t3rcJ7

That is troubling :banging:

That sucks.

Milkman
09-27-2009, 09:10 PM
I get sick of yelling for holding on Silverback every single play he's out there. :doh:

dislocatedday
09-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Are there other players on other teams who get held constantly like James Harrison with flags rarely being thrown? Since I watch the Steelers every week, I don't see that many other games, and I admit I just don't watch other defenses as closely as I watch the Steelers.............and as others here have noted, I see Harrison getting held blatantly so much of the time and it boggles my mind that there is rarely a flag thrown.

I ty to be objective when I watch, and even though I really love the Steelers, in this case I don't think I am just showing my bias for the team.......Harrison is held all the time.

I am really curious if anyone can point out other defenders on other teams that get held like James Harrison? I can't, but as I said, I just don't watch other teams defenses that close.

Today's Bengals game was no different, and in fact I noticed obvious holds of several Steelers players other than James Harrison that were never flagged. I don't think this is why they lost (..plenty of other reasons..) but it sure did not help.

jjpro11
09-27-2009, 10:57 PM
look at all the profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltering holding calls getting called against Arizona tonight.. why can't we get a single goddamn call?

everyone keeps talking about how there has been no pass rush.. well you better get used to it this season if the refs are going to allow our pass rushers to get held all game long. the more the linemen get away with it, the more they will do it. by the end of the game, our pass rushers are practically getting tackled because the linemen know full well the refs aren't going to do shit about it.

stb_steeler
09-28-2009, 01:22 AM
Every game so far Harrison is held...I screamed at least 3-4 times a game. But in the Bunghole game they get called for roughing the passer call....OMG it was a love tap. Hey the league clearly see's why the Steelers led in sacks last season, now there trying not to let that happen again.:fingers:

IamTheSteelGod
09-28-2009, 05:42 AM
maybe we should send woodley and harrison to soccer camp.

they can learn the fine art of adding drama to a good foul...

Make that a Spanish football camp, I mean that as in football not football. As in soccer, god thats a silly name!:wtf:

steelrush
09-28-2009, 08:22 AM
The holdings against Harrison are so visible in every game that the whole thing got hillarious!
The blind-eye turning by the refs at these infractions is a constant that the League really ought to do something about.
Something I'm affraid it won't happen given the grudge everybody has on our team these days.

revefsreleets
09-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Are there other players on other teams who get held constantly like James Harrison with flags rarely being thrown?

Very few...and not to the degree that Harrison is held.

It's a combination of our 3-4, our scheme, and his speed. Not to mention that a precedent has been set, and now that it's largely accepted and condoned by the league, teams are basically allowed to hold with impunity as long as it's not super-over-the-top blatant.

The thing that REALLY bothers me is when Starks was called for holding, but his infraction, while maybe technically, by-the-book, a hold, was NOTHING even remotely as bad as what Harrison suffers on almost every pass play...

Jaquila
09-29-2009, 04:27 PM
just reading all this, ticks me off!!
stop holding Silverback or start call the holdings!
it is just so frustating watching a guy get cheated every game!!

Franco32Harris
09-29-2009, 04:57 PM
To me it seems extremely unfair to hold Harrison every play it is taking away from the game and unfairly penalizing Harrison because he is that good. We should be able to bump WR's after 5 yds every play if we are facing a great receiver :rofl:

wishful thinking..........

steelpride12
09-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Holding on Harrison, it's more like straight up tackeling him to the ground. Noticeble-Very, getting the call-never.

arge5809
09-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Maybe the Refs would be able to call more of the holding calls against Harrison if they weren't too busy watching Hines Ward for infractions.....

:doh: :noidea: :flap: :banging: :sofunny: