PDA

View Full Version : Playing not to lose

ETL
09-27-2009, 06:14 PM
And having no pass rush is why we lost. Why is tomlin doin his best cowher imitation?

Fire Haley
09-27-2009, 06:16 PM
20 - 9 and your QB throws a pick 6.

That shakes up The Plan.

SmashmouthFootball
09-27-2009, 06:18 PM

That shakes up The Plan.

The pick-6 happened before it was 20-9. The pick-6 is what put the Bengals to 9.

X-Terminator
09-27-2009, 06:19 PM
I don't have a problem with the decision to try to play conservative on offense. Who knew the defense would allow the Bengals to drive the length of the field for TDs on 2 consecutive possessions? I know I didn't. You're up by 11 points with less than 10 minutes to go in the game - that should be a W every time.

X-Terminator
09-27-2009, 06:19 PM

That shakes up The Plan.

Ben threw the Pick-6 when they were up 13-3.

Fire Haley
09-27-2009, 06:21 PM
I don't do math.

I know we were up and they had nothing.

Then the defense went to poop.

Rick5895
09-27-2009, 06:24 PM
I don't have a problem with the decision to try to play conservative on offense. Who knew the defense would allow the Bengals to drive the length of the field for TDs on 2 consecutive possessions? I know I didn't. You're up by 11 points with less than 10 minutes to go in the game - that should be a W every time.

Being too conservative on O in the NFL costs you, it gives the opposition an opportunity to get momentum. This is the 3rd time in the last 4 games (including Super bowl) the D has allowed a team to come from behind in the 4th quarter. Last week I still predicted a 12-4 finish, now to be honest I am concerned we won't win 8.

7SteelGal43
09-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Personally, I've always loathed "playing not to lose" and "prevent D".

Steelerstrength
09-27-2009, 06:31 PM
IMO our conservative play calling on both sides of the ball had plenty to do with our loss. Execution was the key today. They executed when they needed to, and we failed to.

Not much pressure on Palmer in the last few drives. Our miscommunication causes a pick-6, a dropped TD, Prevent D allows 10 yds a pop, we've got a few issues to clear up. :banging:

Glad it's early in the season!

pepsyman1
09-27-2009, 06:49 PM
This thread's name has it pegged. I'd much rather see the defense turned loose and get beaten by a big play then become passive repeatedly and let games that should be put away become close ones. And when you're moving the ball as effectively as we were...DON'T STOP! just keep beating on them.

SteeleReign
09-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Arians is driving me nuts! He is far too predictable in his play calling & he is under-utilizing the talent we have on this team. Of course, Limas dropping the TD didn't help. However, it appeared to me that on our last possession we played to run the clock out rather than to stick the dagger in with another score. Our play-calling has been way too conservative, especially on first down.

Do you guys remember the game vs. New England where they came out & threw 20+ consecutive passes a few years back? We were lost & they marched all over the field. Get creative Arians!