PDA

View Full Version : What lost the game: Lack of Pass Rush

Hapa
09-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Here's what I think was the biggest losing factor in today's game: the pass rush.

I was watching, and I couldn't believe how James Harrison was not getting ANY pass rush at all, and not only that, and every time but 2 they were only rushing 4 to the gaps they were aligned in, usually they would be running a lot of zone blitzes and stunts. Every time it was straight up, 4 man rush, no loops, no games, it was like pop warner. Even in high school they would have ran more stunts and blitzes than that.

It definitely wasn't the DBacks fault (either they did a great job, or the Cincy receivers just suck), I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think the defensive play-calling was way to vanilla. Maybe it's smart that they're going vanilla so they can pull out the crazy blitzes when the games matter more.

What's in the past is the past... lets get the Chargers!

EDIT: And Harrison was getting absolutey NO pass rush, not even double teamed most of the time. I didn't see him hit any kind of move once, he just keeps trying to bull rush into a rip move, and it isn't working. He has no swim (he's too short to swim) and doesn't seem able to speed rush. Last year he just bull rushed into a rip and it worked, but I didn't see him get off that LT once in the final drive.

SmashmouthFootball
09-27-2009, 06:16 PM
Troy being out handicaps this defense horribly. We can't do anything we'd normally do without him. We are mediocre without him.

I can't wait until he's back.

Carolina Steelers
09-27-2009, 06:17 PM
I agree totally Palmer had all day to pass. Harrison does get doubled team and held but he just aint the same.

Nighthawk
09-27-2009, 06:18 PM
It's certainly a valid point now. It's what I have been thinking - not to mention we have not been able to shut down the run. Sometimes I wonder if we are over-valuing Timmons at this point in his career and expect him to be a freak all on his own.

elit3nemesis
09-27-2009, 06:19 PM
It was a sad loss to watch. The game just seemed to be getting out of hand when we couldn't stop anything the Bengals were doing.

SteelerEmpire
09-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Yea.... no pass rush let these guys back in.... WHATS UP WITH LEBEAU ???

jjpro11
09-27-2009, 06:22 PM
if Harrison is getting double teamed, Woodley should be wreaking havoc on the other side against the RT.

SteelerEmpire
09-27-2009, 06:23 PM
No turnovers in our favor, the pick 6 thrown by Ben.... and no pass rush killed us..... WHATS UP WITH THE COACHES .... THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE !!! ITS OBVIOUS WHAT WE SHOULD BE DOING !!!!!!!!

Fire Haley
09-27-2009, 06:24 PM
That, and WR's dropping sure TD's.

T Bradshaw
09-27-2009, 06:30 PM
STOP wasting passes to Limas Sweed

This chicken shit keeps hurting us in every game

Steelboy84
57% of us agreed with you.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=39277

T Bradshaw
Wallace is 3.5 times better than Limas

steelerchad
09-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Most of what I saw was not a double team on Harrison. The whole D was getting no pressure. Maybe the schemes they run with Troy in won't work with Carter. Troy is so versatile they can do alot of different things with him.
I hate to think your whole D suffers this badly because of 1 guy, but it looks that way right now.
Unless....., no it couldn't be Larry Foote.

Steelboy84
09-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Please come back Troy! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!