PDA

View Full Version : The Official GROW UP THREAD

Preacher
09-27-2009, 08:47 PM
MY RANT

I have sat back and watched for a couple years now people in this forum.

One significant truth surpasses all others.

People need to GROW UP.

-- Children or those with child mentalities throw hissy fits when things don't go their way.

-- Spoiled children spew out "I don't want that toy" when they get mad.

-- Spoiled children think that the world revolves around THEM.

Here...

--when we lose games, we get litteraly 1000's of posts of hissy fits because a game or a season didn't go their way.

-- When a guy drops a pass, especially after making DOZEN'S of tough catches in the preseason not to mention one before the drop, everyone cries out, CUT HIM, I don't want him... I don't want that toy--Get me another mommy Tomlin NOW!

-- too many people think it is our BIRTHRIGHT to win every game PERIOD. Even more so against the Browns and Bungles. I got a newsflash. THEY ARE PROFESSIONALS TOO. They come to PLAY THE GAME TOO.

So, over the next few days, IMO, please, be a grown up and INTERACT with others in like manner. There is plenty to discuss today. I didn't like some of the defensive assignments. I didn't like some of the play calling late in the game. I didn't like two major mistakes by our sophmore and then freshman receivers. I would LOVE to discuss those things with people who want to POSITIVELY CONTRIBUTE TO THE DISCUSSION.

Positive contribution is not always being positive, but it is engaging your BRAIN as much as spewing unmet expectations in a hateful fashion.

(MODS-- I realize this may be infraction/ban worthy, as it comes awfully close to flaming. That wasn't my intent, as I think both of you know. However, as you DONT play favorites, please email me if you do find it so. I am willing to take whatever is due my way for stating this opinion.)

Christian Snyder
09-27-2009, 08:50 PM
MY RANT

People need to GROW UP.

-- Children or those with child mentalities throw hissy fits when things don't go their way.

Here...

--when we lose games, we get litteraly 1000's of posts of hissy fits because a game or a season didn't go their way.

-- When a guy drops a pass, especially after making DOZEN'S of tough catches in the preseason not to mention one before the drop, everyone cries out, CUT HIM, I don't want him... I don't want that toy--Get me another mommy Tomlin NOW!

-- too many people think it is our BIRTHRIGHT to win every game PERIOD. Even more so against the Browns and Bungles. I got a newsflash. THEY ARE PROFESSIONALS TOO. They come to PLAY THE GAME TOO.

So, over the next few days, IMO, please, be a grown up and INTERACT with others in like manner. There is plenty to discuss today. I didn't like some of the defensive assignments. I didn't like some of the play calling late in the game. I didn't like two major mistakes by our sophmore and then freshman receivers. I would LOVE to discuss those things with people who want to POSITIVELY CONTRIBUTE TO THE DISCUSSION.

Positive contribution is not always being positive, but it is engaging your BRAIN as much as spewing unmet expectations in a hateful fashion.

(MODS-- I realize this may be infraction/ban worthy, as it comes awfully close to flaming. That wasn't my intent, as I think both of you know. However, as you DONT play favorites, please email me if you do find it so. I am willing to take whatever is due my way for stating this opinion.)
Well said!!!!

NEPAsteeler
09-27-2009, 08:52 PM
B..b..but the steelers are SUPPOSED to win.....

No, but seriously, I agree with you. Maybe I went a bit overboard with my "Enough of the effing negativity" thread, but I feel like I get dumber when I read the Game Day threads with all the crap spewing out of it.

wmjeffers
09-27-2009, 08:52 PM
So no one can make comments after a loss then preacher, you find it offensive if fans ever question our historic franchise? Sorry preacher, you need to preach to yourself... people have legitimate concerns, let them vent, and discuss and talk. Or should we just be happy happy joy joy when our team loses? It bothers you we see what is wrong as fans and want to talk about it? Maybe you shouldn't be here...

Shoes
09-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Exactly Preach....it seems to be getting worse each week, I've about had it!

SteelTalons
09-27-2009, 08:54 PM
MY RANT

People need to GROW UP.

Here...

Excellent post Preacher! :hatsoff:

Shoes
09-27-2009, 08:54 PM
So no one can make comments after a loss then preacher, you find it offensive if fans ever question our historic franchise? Sorry preacher, you need to preach to yourself... people have legitimate concerns, let them vent, and discuss and talk. Or should we just be happy happy joy joy when our team loses? It bothers you we see what is wrong as fans and want to talk about it? Maybe you shouldn't be here...

Just amazing...and with 3 posts!!!!!!!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
09-27-2009, 08:56 PM
AGREED PREACHER!!!!!

Look, it's ok to vent your anger(Hey I need to do it to). But with a "The Sky is falling" mentality, that annoys me.

Preacher
09-27-2009, 08:57 PM

And this post is EXACTLY what I am talking about... as you COMPLETELY missed an ENTIRE SECTION of my post. Let me put it back here so you can read it.

So, over the next few days, IMO, please, be a grown up and INTERACT with others in like manner.
There is NOTHING there saying don't discuss it. I am saying, discuss it LIKE A GROWN UP.
There is plenty to discuss today. I didn't like some of the defensive assignments. I didn't like some of the play calling late in the game. I didn't like two major mistakes by our sophmore and then freshman receivers.
These are just SOME THINGS that I would LOVE to discuss in a GROWN UP FASHION. You know, a POSITIVE DISCUSSION. What IS A POSITIVE discussion you ask? Well, I explained that for you.
I would LOVE to discuss those things with people who want to POSITIVELY CONTRIBUTE TO THE DISCUSSION.

Now, do you understand what I am saying?

Steelers
09-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Criticisms =/= hissy fits. I'm sorry, but some of us choose to voice our concerns when a championship-caliber team comes stumbling out of the gate to a 1-2 record against arguably mediocre competition. This is especially true when the same issues persist from week to week.

Steel_12
09-27-2009, 08:59 PM
MY RANT

People need to GROW UP.

Here...

lol did you really say he made tough catches in the pre-season?

Why try to control other people's thoughts and what they say...it's not going to happen. People say what they want to say and that is their birth-right. People react to situations differently...just because it's not how YOU would react to those situations...it doesn't make them wrong. I'm sure the immature people you speak of love the Steelers just as much as you do...why not just let it go?

How is it really killing your day or killing the board? I'm not trying to attack you, just saying to let people be themselves and handle the loss in their own way.

43Hitman
09-27-2009, 09:01 PM

Lmao at the newb who hasn't bothered looking past page one of the boards.:doh:

43Hitman
09-27-2009, 09:02 PM

Why try to control other people's thoughts and what they say...it's not going to happen. People say what they want to say and that is their birth-right. People react to situations differently...just because it's not how YOU would react to those situations...it doesn't make them wrong. I'm sure the immature people you speak of love the Steelers just as much as you do...why not just let it go?

How is it really killing your day or killing the board? I'm not trying to attack you, just saying to let people be themselves and handle the loss in their own way.

So your perfectly fine with 7 threads all bitching about the same thing cluttering up the boards?

SteelTalons
09-27-2009, 09:02 PM

:sign05: Go ride some other teams bandwagon.

ohiosteelerfan20
09-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Exactly Preach....it seems to be getting worse each week, I've about had it!

Na, 2007 playoff loss to JAX was worse. It was Tomlin should be never been hired, OC and DC should be fired.

Steel_12
09-27-2009, 09:06 PM
So your perfectly fine with 7 threads all bitching about the same thing cluttering up the boards?

I could care less...It doesn't bother me because I only look at the threads that I want to read or comment on. I get what you're saying but adding more threads to talk about the bitching and whining threads isn't doing anything to alleviate the problem.

43Hitman
Na, 2007 playoff loss to JAX was worse. It was Tomlin should be never been hired, OC and DC should be fired.

Yeah I remember that. For days all we heard was "we should have hired grimm or we should have hired so and so":blah::blah::blah:

SteelC7
finally someone says it, the season is 17 weeks, 16 games, not 3 weeks 3 games, were 1-2 not 0-3

ohiosteelerfan20
09-27-2009, 09:07 PM
MY RANT

People need to GROW UP.

Here...

Preach, these are great football minds explaining why we lost. :chuckle:

wmjeffers
09-27-2009, 09:09 PM
So who is throwing the hissy fit? Sounds like you preacher... you are now hissing at me for your not liking people post their opinions. Great, you threw in some token problematic opinions on the Steelers, but the rest of us should just be at ease, and not bother you with our OWN personal opinion. NO... you are wrong, and no you won't find me writing off the season, just making legitimate greivances, that apparently are worthy of discussion according to you

Preacher
09-27-2009, 09:10 PM

I never said it kills my day or kills the board.

However, it DOES. When people lurk to see if they want to be members here, they look through threads. If 2 out of every 3 threads is running down the team they love and support, why would they want to come here? If I am coming on to discuss my team, and all I see is "So-and-so sucks threads" and "Steelers suck fire _______" threads. Why should I or anyone else expect to be able to have a decent conversation in them?

Answer this question. The way you talk in these threads, is that how you speak to people at the bar or the game or at the office about the Steelers?

Because it SHOULD BE the SAME dynamic here. Just because the communication is electronic doesn't mean you get to let the Id run wild. . . (waiting patiently for Tony to post a picture of his Id now! :chuckle:)

Preacher
09-27-2009, 09:15 PM
So who is throwing the hissy fit? Sounds like you preacher... you are now hissing at me for your not liking people post their opinions. Great, you threw in some token problematic opinions on the Steelers, but the rest of us should just be at ease, and not bother you with our OWN personal opinion. NO... you are wrong, and no you won't find me writing off the season, just making legitimate greivances, that apparently are worthy of discussion according to you

:rofl:

Let's try one more time.

Where did I ever say do not post your opinion? I am saying IN GENERAL (notice I used NO ONE's NAME) post like a grown up. The offense you take at this thread makes me believe you have posted here before under a different name, and probably was :banned: So be it. I really don't care.

I am just sharing an opinion that adults should really act like adults, EVEN WHEN ONLINE.

Steel_12
09-27-2009, 09:18 PM
I never said it kills my day or kills the board.

However, it DOES. When people lurk to see if they want to be members here, they look through threads. If 2 out of every 3 threads is running down the team they love and support, why would they want to come here? If I am coming on to discuss my team, and all I see is "So-and-so sucks threads" and "Steelers suck fire _______" threads. Why should I or anyone else expect to be able to have a decent conversation in them?

Answer this question. The way you talk in these threads, is that how you speak to people at the bar or the game or at the office about the Steelers?

Because it SHOULD BE the SAME dynamic here. Just because the communication is electronic doesn't mean you get to let the Id run wild. . . (waiting patiently for Tony to post a picture of his Id now! :chuckle:)

Answering your question...yes, this is how I speak about the Steelers. I voice what we did wrong and how we lost the game. Especially games where we should have won. Last week, Jeff Reed's name was preceeded by plenty of curse words. This week it's Sweed and the Defense, well the 4th quarter defense. But that's me...that's how I choose to react to losses. When we win, I praise the players who mainly contributed to the victory. I don't see a reason to be happy and look at positives when we lose because I'm not happy and I don't feel like it.

I'm sorry if that's unacceptable to you but, again, that's me.

MACH1
09-27-2009, 09:29 PM

You need some cheese to go with that whine?

Preacher
09-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Answering your question...yes, this is how I speak about the Steelers. I voice what we did wrong and how we lost the game. Especially games where we should have won. Last week, Jeff Reed's name was preceeded by plenty of curse words. This week it's Sweed and the Defense, well the 4th quarter defense. But that's me...that's how I choose to react to losses. When we win, I praise the players who mainly contributed to the victory. I don't see a reason to be happy and look at positives when we lose because I'm not happy and I don't feel like it.

Next question. Do you run around saying, _____ sucks and Fire ________?

Or do you wonder, What was wrong with Reed? Is it his age catching up to him? His sore foot? The last lost fight with a towel dispenser?

This game. Is it, "Defense sucks" Or is it, "What is happening that we aren't slowing down the O in the fourth quarter" Is anyone else seeing a 4th quarter pattern that started with the Chargers in the playoffs last year? etc. etc.? Do you see where I am going? This is a FORUM, which means we come together to DISCUSS the team.

I really don't mind any OPINION. What I mind, is when people simply detract from the discussion, or speak as if they know everything. That is my only point in this entire thread.

Come to the FORUM and DISCUSS. In otherwords, act like an adult (general, not you).

If that is what you do, then this thread has nothing to do with you.

Christian Snyder
09-27-2009, 09:43 PM
LOL at the person with 6 posts telling someone with 18,000+ posts that they shouldn't be here!:sign07::toofunny:

Preacher
09-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Just for illustration--

An example of what I am talking about here:

An example of someone who dislikes what I wrote, but is being an adult about the discussion:

Thank you both for that apt illustration.

silver & black
09-27-2009, 09:57 PM
I rarely post in the "Steelers" forum here, but I have to say this...... you guys are raw rookies when it comes to this kind of thing. If you want to see how true, professional negativity is done, check out any Raiders forum... you will learn a few things on the fine art of negative, vitriolic posting. :rofl:

Preacher
09-27-2009, 10:11 PM
I rarely post in the "Steelers" forum here, but I have to say this...... you guys are raw rookies when it comes to this kind of thing. If you want to see how true, professional negativity is done, check out any Raiders forum... you will learn a few things on the fine art of negative, vitriolic posting. :rofl:

:rofl:

Well, if we had Al Davis as owner . . . :wink02:

SteelTalons
09-27-2009, 10:19 PM

Ive went over on Raiderfans.net a few times, at least you guys have a reason to bitch. One dropped pass is enough to cause 5 "cut him" threads here.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
09-27-2009, 10:20 PM
FIRE PREACHER!

Preacher
09-27-2009, 10:28 PM
FIRE PREACHER!

:chuckle:

:buttkick:

Phade
09-27-2009, 11:15 PM
please don't take offense to this but some of you people take this way too seriously as if you are actually a part of the team.. if they win enjoy it.. if they lose brush it and look forward to next week.. you do not play a role in the outcome of anything so acting like a little child on a message board amongst a bunch of random people that you will never meet in your life is pretty pathetic if you think about it logically.. if you are jeopardizing spending time with your family to gripe for hours on a message board then you need to get your priorities in order.. if you sit around and try and problem solve what will make 'our team' better than you really need to sit down and think about that for a second or two.. is that beneficial to your life?.. i am a fan.. but i am also mature and realize there are more important things in life then football.. with that being said i'm going to chill with my wife..

till next time..

Grace and Peace

SteelersMongol
09-28-2009, 12:04 AM

WTH, Preacher? Now I know U've been holding & controlling us whenever V try 2 b*tch & whine. Damn. :laughing: This is (in youtube) exactly what's been happening here. Did U all C that? He's been repressing us. :laughing:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Xd_zkMEgkI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Xd_zkMEgkI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Preacher
09-28-2009, 12:24 AM
WTH, Preacher? Now I know U've been holding & controlling us whenever V try 2 b*tch & whine. Damn. :laughing: This is (in youtube) exactly what's been happening here. Did U all C that? He's been repressing us. :laughing:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Xd_zkMEgkI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Xd_zkMEgkI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hilarious. Completely Hilarious. Guess I should go back to repressing peopile!

Kvnfaber
09-28-2009, 10:02 AM
It has been too long since I have seen that movie :laughing:

steelerdave1969
09-28-2009, 11:09 AM
I think we all have frustrations as the season goes along every year. Preacher, the main reason I will not come to gameday threads is cause people go from saying how Great our team is to how much they Stink in 3 plays, and then back to We are the Greatest of All-Time... Wishy Washy is what I call that.. dont know which way to think and they speak before they think alot of times, and I am one of those that do that more than I should.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Next question. Do you run around saying, _____ sucks and Fire ________?

Or do you wonder, What was wrong with Reed? Is it his age catching up to him? His sore foot? The last lost fight with a towel dispenser?

Preacher is right on the money.

You wont find a post where I demand Reed's head on a platter...I think he lost the game for us against the Bears but was probably due...after winning many for us.

How do I deal with the negativity? My new draft wish list has a kicker on it in the 5th round.:chuckle: (mostley because he didnt sign the contract that was offered)

As a fan...I approach my team as I would if I was on the roster. I would NEVER tell a teammate they "suck" or need to be "fired". Its just not realistic. I would tell them to get their head out of their butt...play hard...and do better next time, letting them know I had their back. All the time, knowing that if they dont play better...someone else will be wearing their jersey next year.

I have played and coached the game long enough to KNOW that is how you deal with your own.

Scott La Rock
09-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Well said lamberts lost tooth ! I hope someone is in the lockerroom telling our beloved Steelers to get their heads outa their butts...play hard...and do better next time

Preacher
09-28-2009, 01:54 PM
I think we all have frustrations as the season goes along every year. Preacher, the main reason I will not come to gameday threads is cause people go from saying how Great our team is to how much they Stink in 3 plays, and then back to We are the Greatest of All-Time... Wishy Washy is what I call that.. dont know which way to think and they speak before they think alot of times, and I am one of those that do that more than I should.

Exactly. And everyone else who is in the thread has to put up with that crap. THen, we get more and more people posting WE SUCK and WE'RE GOING TO LOSE... and it hides everyone else's posts who are actually TRYING to interact with others about the game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-28-2009, 02:12 PM
FIRE PREACHER!

At least you didn't start a "Preacher sucks because he didnt pray to the football gods on 4th and 10" thread. :wink:

And Preacher cant take that kick emoticon out on me...........because "it's only a flesh wound."

Preacher
09-28-2009, 02:20 PM
At least you didn't start a "Preacher sucks because he didnt pray to the football gods on 4th and 10" thread. :wink:

And Preacher cant take that kick emoticon out on me...........because "it's only a flesh wound."

Hey EL G--- http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/moon2.gif

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-28-2009, 02:45 PM

Hey EL G--- http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/moon2.gif

Watch out Preach, or a rabbit might "nibble your bum".
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XcxKIJTb3Hg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XcxKIJTb3Hg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Since we got a Holy Grail precedent set in this thread. I thought why not?

steelreserve
09-28-2009, 03:02 PM
It honestly seems like there's less bitching this year after a loss. There was more bitching after the Titans game. Seems like, for the most part, people understand that the losses sucked, but they didn't exactly show us that the whole team is broken or anything.

If anything, it seems like there are more anti-complaining threads than "_____ sucks" threads this year. And that's not even counting that "No Trolls Allowed" group where they keep saying it sucks how much people like to complain, but all they do themselves is sit around in that room complaining about things. (The irony of that is not lost on me)

X-Terminator
09-28-2009, 03:23 PM
It honestly seems like there's less bitching this year after a loss. There was more bitching after the Titans game. Seems like, for the most part, people understand that the losses sucked, but they didn't exactly show us that the whole team is broken or anything.

If anything, it seems like there are more anti-complaining threads than "_____ sucks" threads this year. And that's not even counting that "No Trolls Allowed" group where they keep saying it sucks how much people like to complain, but all they do themselves is sit around in that room complaining about things. (The irony of that is not lost on me)

We've actually had a "fan" last night say that he wasn't going to watch the Steelers anymore this season. And if you really think there has been less bitching because there haven't been as many "_______ sucks" threads, then you really haven't been paying attention. And of course, we get our usual influx of noobs who only sign up here to bitch, when they've had ample opportunity to sign up at any other time, or those who are members and never have anything positive to say about the team. That more than anything is what really grates on my nerves.

And as for that group, at least it isn't HERE on the open board. It's a place where people can go and do the venting that you complainers love so much. Maybe that's something to consider?

steelreserve
09-28-2009, 04:25 PM
We've actually had a "fan" last night say that he wasn't going to watch the Steelers anymore this season. And if you really think there has been less bitching because there haven't been as many "_______ sucks" threads, then you really haven't been paying attention. And of course, we get our usual influx of noobs who only sign up here to bitch, when they've had ample opportunity to sign up at any other time, or those who are members and never have anything positive to say about the team. That more than anything is what really grates on my nerves.

Like I always say ... that's the Internet for you. I don't know why this bothers people so much. It's usually pretty easy to tell what's worth paying attention to and what's not.

And as for that group, at least it isn't HERE on the open board. It's a place where people can go and do the venting that you complainers love so much. Maybe that's something to consider?

Eh, I just think it's funny, is all. I never got the point of complaining that people are complaining too much. I mean, what exactly do you want? Do you really think all the "haters" are going to change their minds because they wake up and notice there's too much negativity in the world? Or do you think people will just stop saying what they think out of respect for the message board elders or something?

I've got news for you: This is pretty much just a random sampling of football fans saying what's on their mind, and it's ridiculous to expect everyone to act the way you want. Too many people saying Arians sucks? Well, guess what? Maybe that just means a lot of Steelers fans out there DON'T like him. Too many people making stupid points without backing them up with anything? Probably just means there are plenty of Steelers fans out there who are stupid and run their mouths, just like with any other team.

No, there's really no basis for this complaining-about-the-complainers mentality. Like it or not, that's just what a lot of fans do. This message board isn't some special place that's going to change that, nor is there some grand cabal of complainers out there that's always deciding to keep at it to make things miserable for the "real" fans. There's this whole us-against-them attitude going on for some people here, and I really think they're just imagining it. Some might even be creating it intentionally so they can feel like the "better fan." All I know is I don't see it; I just see a bunch of people arguing about football like you'd find in a bar or a bus stop, or any other place where strangers talk to each other about sports.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-28-2009, 05:15 PM
I agree...."complaining about people complaining too much is somewhat amusing"

Its almost like complaining that a RB has too many long runs in a season. :chuckle: "if you take away a RB's long runs, he really doesnt do much". The irony isnt lost on me.

X-Terminator
09-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Like I always say ... that's the Internet for you. I don't know why this bothers people so much. It's usually pretty easy to tell what's worth paying attention to and what's not.

Because it's completely effing pointless, that's why. If you don't have anything to say that has one ounce of logic behind it, why the hell join a message board and annoy people with it? And why do it only after a loss? It doesn't reflect well on that person, and their ability to be taken seriously goes right out the window. I don't know if you post in the Gameday threads at all, but there is one guy in there who has been a member for a couple of years and has never, EVER, posted anything positive about the team, even during wins. Not once. You don't find that annoying?

Eh, I just think it's funny, is all. I never got the point of complaining that people are complaining too much. I mean, what exactly do you want? Do you really think all the "haters" are going to change their minds because they wake up and notice there's too much negativity in the world? Or do you think people will just stop saying what they think out of respect for the message board elders or something?

I've got news for you: This is pretty much just a random sampling of football fans saying what's on their mind, and it's ridiculous to expect everyone to act the way you want. Too many people saying Arians sucks? Well, guess what? Maybe that just means a lot of Steelers fans out there DON'T like him. Too many people making stupid points without backing them up with anything? Probably just means there are plenty of Steelers fans out there who are stupid and run their mouths, just like with any other team.

No, there's really no basis for this complaining-about-the-complainers mentality. Like it or not, that's just what a lot of fans do. This message board isn't some special place that's going to change that, nor is there some grand cabal of complainers out there that's always deciding to keep at it to make things miserable for the "real" fans. There's this whole us-against-them attitude going on for some people here, and I really think they're just imagining it. Some might even be creating it intentionally so they can feel like the "better fan." All I know is I don't see it; I just see a bunch of people arguing about football like you'd find in a bar or a bus stop, or any other place where strangers talk to each other about sports.

Problem is, I've discussed football with people in bars and at bus stops who make WAY more sense than the rubes who do nothing but whine on here. Just discussed the game briefly with the American cashier at the Chinese food joint, in fact. Said that the defense played soft and passive rather than aggressive in the 4th quarter, which of course is correct. No rant about "so and so sucks" or "Fire Arians/LeBeau." If he did, I'd have just paid him and left. I have no time for that kind of uneducated BS - which really is all it is.

All I am asking for is for people to use a little common sense and think/calm down before they post when the team loses. All of the negativity just drags the board down to the point where a lot of good posters don't want to post in here. It has little to do with being a better fan, and everything to do with maintaining some level of cool-headedness, for lack of a better term.

tony hipchest
09-28-2009, 05:24 PM
we need another presidential election to calm everybody down.

GBMelBlount
09-28-2009, 05:25 PM
I agree...."complaining about people complaining too much is somewhat amusing"

Reading these threads since the game ended has been absolutely comical. :toofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Reading these threads since the game ended has been absolutely comical. :toofunny:

I know. I waited 25 years to see another super bowl in 2005 and I have now had 2 in 4 years. I'm just enjoying our Steelers and the battle each week. Although, I enjoy the wins more than the losses. :tt:

steelreserve
09-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Because it's completely effing pointless, that's why. If you don't have anything to say that has one ounce of logic behind it, why the hell join a message board and annoy people with it? And why do it only after a loss? It doesn't reflect well on that person, and their ability to be taken seriously goes right out the window. I don't know if you post in the Gameday threads at all, but there is one guy in there who has been a member for a couple of years and has never, EVER, posted anything positive about the team, even during wins. Not once. You don't find that annoying?

Problem is, I've discussed football with people in bars and at bus stops who make WAY more sense than the rubes who do nothing but whine on here. Just discussed the game briefly with the American cashier at the Chinese food joint, in fact. Said that the defense played soft and passive rather than aggressive in the 4th quarter, which of course is correct. No rant about "so and so sucks" or "Fire Arians/LeBeau." If he did, I'd have just paid him and left. I have no time for that kind of uneducated BS - which really is all it is.

All I am asking for is for people to use a little common sense and think/calm down before they post when the team loses. All of the negativity just drags the board down to the point where a lot of good posters don't want to post in here. It has little to do with being a better fan, and everything to do with maintaining some level of cool-headedness, for lack of a better term.

Well, yeah, all that would be well and good in an ideal world. I just don't think it's realistic to expect. It's not really possible to regulate the quality of random people who show up off the street, and there's an endless supply of them. So the complaining and stupid shit is probably going to go on indefinitely, which means the choices are to either let it bother you or not. Just like in your example with the cashier, there are always going to be some people it's interesting to talk to and some that it's not. Yes, I have seen some dumb stuff posted here -- hell, in 2006, I remember people saying we should lose the last eight games in order to get a good draft pick, and meaning every word of it. When it's genuinely dumb, I don't know what's so hard about blowing it off, or just saying, "OK, buddy, you go ahead and think that."

Big D
09-28-2009, 05:43 PM
MY RANT

People need to GROW UP.

Here...

Couldn't have said it any better myself. The thing about it preacher. Seems like a majority of the posters in here are nothing more then bandwagon fans. As I said last week. If we are 8-7 going into the last week you will see half the posters in here. Fact of the matter is, We have a horrid offensive line, the running game isn't consitant. And our hall of fame safety is hurt and people want 15-1. As it looks right now this is a 500 team. Not every year will be a superbowl victory

SteelTalons
09-28-2009, 05:43 PM
we need another presidential election to calm everybody down.

Nah man, someone will just pull a J Dogg and accuse one of us of spitting on their wife again...

Preacher
09-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Well, yeah, all that would be well and good in an ideal world. I just don't think it's realistic to expect. It's not really possible to regulate the quality of random people who show up off the street, and there's an endless supply of them. So the complaining and stupid shit is probably going to go on indefinitely, which means the choices are to either let it bother you or not. Just like in your example with the cashier, there are always going to be some people it's interesting to talk to and some that it's not. Yes, I have seen some dumb stuff posted here -- hell, in 2006, I remember people saying we should lose the last eight games in order to get a good draft pick, and meaning every word of it. When it's genuinely dumb, I don't know what's so hard about blowing it off, or just saying, "OK, buddy, you go ahead and think that."

There is a third choice. That is to call people out on it. If the majority of posters did call them out, laying down expectations that this is a place where you come to ENGAGE in DISCUSSION, things would turn around real quick.

Again, the problem isn't just letting people post. ITs the fact that they come and and start spewing into threads taking them into myriad directions. Then others respond doing the same thing. Pretty soon, the original point of the thread is long gone, buried under 70 posts of various so and so sucks and we gotta cut so and so.

steelreserve
09-29-2009, 01:52 PM
There is a third choice. That is to call people out on it. If the majority of posters did call them out, laying down expectations that this is a place where you come to ENGAGE in DISCUSSION, things would turn around real quick.

Again, the problem isn't just letting people post. ITs the fact that they come and and start spewing into threads taking them into myriad directions. Then others respond doing the same thing. Pretty soon, the original point of the thread is long gone, buried under 70 posts of various so and so sucks and we gotta cut so and so.

Maybe. I think it's more like, last year every thread degenerated into an argument about "so-and-so sucks," and this year, the thread is buried under one post of "so and so sucks" and then 70 posts of "yeah, well YOU suck for being too negative -- no YOU suck for being a cheerleader."

I'd rather have the first choice than the second. At least there's a chance of discussing something football-related. And given the nature of the Internet, those may be our only two choices. I just posted a big rant about this in the next thread over, so I'm gonna leave it at that for now.

Preacher
09-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Maybe. I think it's more like, last year every thread degenerated into an argument about "so-and-so sucks," and this year, the thread is buried under one post of "so and so sucks" and then 70 posts of "yeah, well YOU suck for being too negative -- no YOU suck for being a cheerleader."

I'd rather have the first choice than the second. At least there's a chance of discussing something football-related. And given the nature of the Internet, those may be our only two choices. I just posted a big rant about this in the next thread over, so I'm gonna leave it at that for now.

I don't know, did you see the EXPLOSION of threads after our loss? How many CUt LImas threads were there?

Now, I screamed at my TV when Limas dropped the ball. I also screamed at the TV when the rookie lost his position on the field after catching a bomb by Ben and went out of bounds.

However, Why go and start 10 threads about Limas Sweed-just so that YOUR (general, not YOU specific) opinion of his suckage is highlighted? As I have said before, this isn't a group counseling session.

What I find interesting, is when there are threads concerning how the game is actually played, very few people get involved. Go back and look at the thread about whether we are a Zone block or man block O line. Look at just who was in that thread.

Very few people here actually want to talk about FOOTBALL. Few others want to talk about how our team is DOING. There is a significant number who just want to use this...as said before... as a group aggression/anger session after games.

stlrtruck
09-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Everytime I read this thread, I keep hearing these words:

I don't wanna grow up I'm a TOYS 'R US kid

Preacher
09-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Everytime I read this thread, I keep hearing these words:

Thanks for getting that song stuck in my head.

stlrtruck
09-29-2009, 02:56 PM

Thanks for getting that song stuck in my head.

I'm here all week for naysayer relief! :wave: :laughing:

And let me help you out with more of it:

I don't wanna grow up
I'm a TOYS 'R US Kid
They've got the best for so much less
You'll really flip your lid
From planes to trains to video games
They're the biggest toy store there is

NJarhead
09-29-2009, 03:10 PM
One response appropriate for two threads:http://forums.steelersfever.com/showpost.php?p=670041&postcount=13

SteelerFanInTX210
09-29-2009, 03:15 PM
I am not really that upset with our losses so far. Jay Cutler has played well against our defense before he was a Bear so that loss wasnt a suprise, and the Bengals were just due guys come on. I am a die hard fan guys but do you forget they were in the playoffs 3 or 4 years ago with Carson Palmer and the same coach, hes been injured, no hes healthy so now we have a bit more challenging division. When the Browns finally beat us then i might have to cry....

Preacher
09-30-2009, 02:25 AM
I am not really that upset with our losses so far. Jay Cutler has played well against our defense before he was a Bear so that loss wasnt a suprise, and the Bengals were just due guys come on. I am a die hard fan guys but do you forget they were in the playoffs 3 or 4 years ago with Carson Palmer and the same coach, hes been injured, no hes healthy so now we have a bit more challenging division. When the Browns finally beat us then i might have to cry....

Upset? Heck, I am ticked that we lost both games. But I just don't see any reason to take it out on anyone else.

You are right though, Palmer is just getting back to being healthy. Makes me more excited about the game in November!

quitwiun
09-30-2009, 03:47 AM
Thanks so much 4 sharing with us,bros :-)

redst3
09-30-2009, 04:14 AM
Preacher,

I've always enjoyed your posts and agreed with you many times but i do think this is a place to vent. Some times things get too deep and personal but otherwise i say if people come here to gripe there's very little real harm in it.

It was your right to vent too...

Peace

BlockMonsta
09-30-2009, 04:31 AM
The thing is..we really SHOULD have won the two games. I am upset, but I understand that it's only week three of 16.

HometownGal
09-30-2009, 05:35 AM
AMEN Father! :applaudit::hatsoff::applaudit:

Like I always say - I have absolutely NO problem with constructive criticisms of players, coaches, etc., but some of the DESTRUCTIVE :bs: and hatred that has been spewed here over the last 2 weeks has been mind-blowing considering the team is coming off a Super Bowl winning season.

Steelers & I
09-30-2009, 06:15 AM

BINGO! DING, DING, DING, DING, DING! We have a GRAND prize winner here. This post makes more sense and is in touch with reality more than any of the others. Nice one Steelreserve.

And just to add a little to your post. I find ABSOLUTE hipocrisy in some of the posts relating to this thread. Some of the same people who are "complaining about the complainers", are the VERY SAME PEOPLE that have CONSISTENTLY AND TOTALLY TRASHED the Steelers offensive line as well as the offensive line coach for as long as I've been around here. We've all seen their posts calling the Steelers offensive line, turnstiles, the worst offensive line in Steelers history, couldn't block their way out of a wet paper sack, on and on and on. Now that was just a few examples of their "constructive criticism."

But they in turn want to question the fanhood of others that have negative opinions of a certain assistant coach, dare I mention his name? Or maybe it's a recent draft pick that someone may have a problem with, well that member is usually told that he's a moron. They're then reminded that if the Steelers front office is happy with that particular player or assistant coach, then all is good and well, so essentially, that member is told that he needs to STFU!

So here's my 2 cents, if ANYONE has a problem with the Steelers offensive line or the offensive line coach, then they should just take their own advice and STFU!. The Steelers front office knows better than you. They're obviously happy with those players and the offensive line coach because they're still around aren't they?

People want to bitch about the redundant "Arians sucks threads", well I'm SICK of reading about how bad the Steelers offensive line is and how the Steelers @#*%(screwed) up by not drafting any offensive linemen with their 1st and 2nd round picks. Enough already, you don't know what you're talking about. The Steelers just won the damn Super Bowl with those linemen and that offensive line coach so how can you possibly see any problems with that group?

Aussie_steeler
09-30-2009, 06:41 AM
Yesterday
Hey Bud, the common reply to anything negative in regards to the Steelers is: "The Steelers Front Office always knows best." Learn it, live it, and love it.

Intially I thought this post yesterday was a sarcastic post

Today

So here's my 2 cents, if ANYONE has a problem with the Steelers offensive line or the offensive line coach, then they should just take their own advice and STFU!. The Steelers front office knows better than you. They're obviously happy with those players and the offensive line coach because they're still around aren't they??

Today I read this as a serious post.

Just wanting some clarification - which post have I misread??

Why??

Because I totally agree with the last post you made. The O line members have one, some have 2, superbowl rings and obviously they are getting the job done to the satisfaction of the FO.

Steelers & I
09-30-2009, 06:59 AM
Yesterday

Intially I thought this post yesterday was a sarcastic post

Today

Today I read this as a serious post.

Just wanting some clarification - which post have I misread??

Why??

Because I totally agree with the last post you made. The O line members have one, some have 2, superbowl rings and obviously they are getting the job done to the satisfaction of the FO.

As opposed to us, being the fans, the Front office ALWAYS knows best. They do however make an occasional mistake but they are still yet, THE BEST IN THE BUSINESS. I used the "Front office knows best" remark both yesterday and today because it's thrown around so much in this forum as an apparent attempt to win or end a debate.

Aussie_steeler
09-30-2009, 07:18 AM
Cheers.

They are the best front office in the business. I am constantly amazed at how they can somehow even find gems in a rubbish dump like the lions. There record with UDFA's is also first class.

The only problem that I have with the FO is that they never seem to draft any of the guys that I pimp in the Warroom.

solardave
09-30-2009, 07:22 AM
I'm fairly new here. However I grew up watching the Steelers since around 69 or 70. I get mad when they lose. I watch every game expecting them to win. If you would have talked to me following the game against the Bengals you would have heard a lot of negativity. I get over it though and look to next week. Here's the thing about the receiver in question. Sure he made tough catches in the preseason. He also dropped balls that should have been TDs. One against the Chargers last year in the playoffs,one in the AFC championship game (I was there and saw that live and it hurt bad) and lastly in the game Sunday.From what is being reported he is now the number 5 receiver on the depth chart. Not because of us whining but because of his play on the field.Here's my point. tough catches in preseason don't win games during the regular season. I do read a lot of nonsense on here and part of growing up is letting the children rant. Realize they don't know what they're talking about and move on.I will be a Steeler fan until the day I die,like my Dad before me.But when they lose games in the 4th quarter I am going to whine a little,just like a kid and that's my right as a loyal fan. Then I'll get over it!

Preacher
09-30-2009, 03:18 PM
And just to add a little to your post. I find ABSOLUTE hypocrisy in some of the posts relating to this thread. Some of the same people who are "complaining about the complainers", are the VERY SAME PEOPLE that have CONSISTENTLY AND TOTALLY TRASHED the Steelers offensive line as well as the offensive line coach for as long as I've been around here. We've all seen their posts calling the Steelers offensive line, turnstiles, the worst offensive line in Steelers history, couldn't block their way out of a wet paper sack, on and on and on. Now that was just a few examples of their "constructive criticism."

I sue hope this isn't directed at me... because that has not been my arguments. Two years ago, I said the line was horrid, but then did a t-test to find that the sacks doubled in the second half of the year, which caused me to question the stamina-hard training camp and practicing in pads. Interestingly, Tomlin noted the same thing and eased up last year. Last year, I noted the line again, but also noted that after the injuries and replacements, our pass blocking got a lot stronger. it improved throughout the rest of the year.

This year, our pass blocking seems pretty solid, except for Starks, who does get used as a turnstyle at times... then very next play, plays like an all pro.

I have questioned why, had some fun with statistics t-testing sacks... had discussions and debates with El G. on whether Mahan was being used as a scapegoat for the line problems, whether we are a base ZBS or Man block. etc. I don't know about you, but I think that was positive contributions to the board.

Oh, and I have never called for a coach to be fired--except tongue in cheek. Unless we are talking about Belicheat... and I think we are all in agreement that he should have been fired/suspended indefinitely for his cheating.