PDA

View Full Version : The real meaning of true fans

ricksteelers55
09-27-2009, 09:46 PM
I think that in moments like this we see who are bandwagonners and who are real fans.

Of course I didnt like the way we played in the 2nd half.

But a real fan is not someone who will support the team only when they win and bash them when they lose.

A real fan is someone who will support the team even if the team is 0-16.

Steelers forever

Here we go

Steelers
09-27-2009, 09:52 PM
I respectfully disagree. If your team goes winless and you point out their flaws and demand change, that just makes you not stupid.

Calling out shortcomings of your favorite team doesn't make you a bandwagoner. It's just a part of the passion you have for the team.

steelpride12
09-27-2009, 09:52 PM
This thread will be covered in troll bandwagon fans expressing their hate and cut him, fire them all week. Get used to it for now, but yes Always believe!

SteelGhost
09-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Hi fellow Steelerís fans, this is my first post, long time Steeler fan from one of the bigger cities of the Steeler Nation Ö Mexico City.

I have some thoughts throughout 3 games.

1.-The team needs to keep pushing the pedal on the offensive side of the ball for all 4 quarters. Keep on going with the no-huddle offense, this year Iíve noticed an improvement in the OL performance.

2.- Try to change the pass-rush scheme a little, looks like the opposite teams have learned how to combat Silverback and Woodley without having Troy backing them up.

3.- The officials no calling for holding on the pass rushers must be addressed by the FO with R. Goodell, the no calls are piling up like crazy.

4.- If the Steelers are now a pass happy team, so be it, I can live without Cowher ball, lol

5.- Execute and play with passion. I noticed the team playing with no passion in the past 2 games, specially in 4th qts.

6.- Looks like the good ole FWP has the days numbered, despite of todayís performance, but what do I know ?

7.- Frank Summers is not ready yet, he needs one more year to learn the playbook , gain some weight and improve his blocking technique.

8.- Mike Wallace has been a great addition so far, I think he will win the 3rd. WR spot over Limas Sweed.

9.- Itís ok to be pissed by losing to the Bears and the Bungles, but come on, letís keep the faith, there are thirteen games left in the regular season, the sky isnít falling.

10.- I will let the FO takes care about the offensive coordinators and coaches, I trust in their decisions.

Go Steelers !!! :tt02:

Phade
09-27-2009, 10:00 PM
steelers can lose for the next 10 seasons and i'd be straight.. i've been alive for 2 superbowl wins.. there are fans of other teams who have supported their teams their entire lives and their teams haven't even made it to a superbowl..

Texasteel
09-27-2009, 10:07 PM
steelers can lose for the next 10 seasons and i'd be straight.. i've been alive for 2 superbowl wins.. there are fans of other teams who have supported their teams their entire lives and their teams haven't even made it to a superbowl..

I've been around for 6, and several real bad years. I've also see starts worse than this by several very good teams. We will be fine.

SteelerFanInStl
09-27-2009, 10:13 PM
I've been around for 6, and several real bad years. I've also see starts worse than this by several very good teams. We will be fine.

:drink: If I can make it through the Cliff Stoudt years, I can make it through this. :laughing:

LVSteelersfan
09-27-2009, 10:14 PM
There is no other team than the Steelers. I try to remain positive to the bitter end every single season. I go in thinking we will never lose a game. I have been a diehard fan since about 1969 and never rooted for other teams in all that time even in the 1990s. I lived through Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Kordell Stewart, Neil Odonnell, Tommy Maddox, etc and still rooted for them through thick and thin. This team is ten times better than any of those 90s teams despite all the negative talk. Teams lose games. Get used to it. It will not change. Take that from someone who has been following the Steelers for most of his life. BTW, it will be much better on your blood pressure if you don't lose any sleep when your favorite team loses. I had to learn that the hard way.

stb_steeler
09-28-2009, 12:09 AM
There is no other team than the Steelers. I try to remain positive to the bitter end every single season. I go in thinking we will never lose a game. I have been a diehard fan since about 1969 and never rooted for other teams in all that time even in the 1990s. I lived through Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Kordell Stewart, Neil Odonnell, Tommy Maddox, etc and still rooted for them through thick and thin. This team is ten times better than any of those 90s teams despite all the negative talk. Teams lose games. Get used to it. It will not change. Take that from someone who has been following the Steelers for most of his life. BTW, it will be much better on your blood pressure if you don't lose any sleep when your favorite team loses. I had to learn that the hard way.

Same here, i am also one of the lucky ones to have seen all 6 SB victories. How many other fans of other teams can say that, Hmmmm i gonna guess none! :thumbsup:

RavensD
09-28-2009, 01:01 AM
We all take losses hard, especially when it's to a team that we're clearly better than.

For whatever it's worth, while the Bungholes are celebrating their stroke of luck, no one on our side of the fence is resting easy until the season is over. Pittsburgh starting off 1-2 just means that we don't have to sweat bullets if we come up short against New England next week, or if we drop one of our games head up. Loooongg way to go before this season is over.

T Bradshaw
09-28-2009, 01:41 AM
I think that in moments like this we see who are bandwagonners and who are real fans.

But a real fan is not someone who will support the team only when they win and bash them when they lose.

Steelers forever

Here we go

Real fans see nothing wrong with criticizing the teams they support

Players are professionals not little sissies, they should welcome criticism

Fans have every right to criticize the players when they play like shit, believe it or not there is nothing wrong with it and it actually helps the team play better

So, enough with these silly posts like the above

SteelersMongol
09-28-2009, 02:05 AM

Fans have every right to criticize the players when they play like shit, believe it or not there is nothing wrong with it and it actually helps the team play better

I hear what U'r saying. But the thing is all of a sudden there is like ten thousand threads pop up after a loss saying "V should cut this & that" or "How Tomlin or FO doesn't know a jack about who is on our roster" blah blah. Funny thing is pretty much they all started by some new fans who disappear after 3 or 4 weeks. 2 make things worse, those threads will have title like "Cut this" or "Fire that" & then write a sentence or 2 saying "He can't catch" or "He's a goofball" & nothing else.

If U guys take a good look at veteran members of this site, U won't C a single thread like I just mentioned posted by them.

So yes, there is nothing wrong with fans expressing their opinions, but as long as it's backed up by good facts & sounds reasonable. Otherwise it would look like as if it was posted by some 7 year old who was bored at home & it's just tiring. :coffee:

Galax Steeler
09-28-2009, 04:13 AM
I have been a fan since I was born in 1970. As many others on here I have seen the good and bad with this team. And as many others on this board I will stick with them through the tough times and they are some who will jump ship and go to another team which are called Bandwaggon fans. We are not out of the picture by far this year we have only played three games. We still have a ways to go. Don't loose the faith.

IamTheSteelGod
09-28-2009, 04:15 AM
It does seem when watching the game from my telly or monitor, that on the rare occasion we do loose :-| alot of Steelers fan get up and leave. At times in the past I have noticed this to happen with a large portion of time left on the clock. Despite there not being a chance of a come back, and in all fairness it being a guaranteed loss I just want to know how these so called 'fans' can get up and leave? If given the chance to go, I would be first in, last out. Even if we are getting beat 38-0 by the Bengals.

Steelstralia
09-28-2009, 04:25 AM
alot of you guys are lucky to see alot of them SB victories, i'd love to watch XL and see some old steeler games from the 70s and 80s, old football looks awsome (most likely due to the absence of some of the NFL's complex rules, i notice alot of hard hits, especially on QB's, i'd say big ben is one of the few who takes a hit.) i admit i have been a fan of the steelers for 2 years, as i mentioned in a previous thread, we can't win all the time or we will get bored of our success, we won XLIII, let's be happy with that, in order for football to be a fair game, everyone needs a shot at some light (superbowl), i'm sure we have alot more victories ahead, so lets look forward to that, even if we have a bad season this year, who cares, we got XLIII and other wins on our minds and that awsome last minute touchdown by Ben to Holmes, and that 99 yard run by Harrison. GO STEELERS!!!! :tt02: :helmet: :tt: :tt03: :drink:

Scott La Rock
09-28-2009, 04:32 AM
Water Boy here again

If you want fan of the year. Its YOURS. I guess I don't consider myself a fan . I'm a STEELER ! FOR LIFE ! If your ok with LOSING cool .Myself I cant stand it. I also understand being perfect is unrealistic .But at 1-2 there are things to work on . Our defense has looked horrible so far. Receivers dropping balls ! IMHO if your cool with the losses and bad playing then maybe our fan of the years might want to jump ship again an head towards Detroit . Here we don't play that !

Again Thank GOD for next weeks

IamTheSteelGod
09-28-2009, 04:34 AM
Hey Detroit won yesterday! lol

Steelstralia
09-28-2009, 04:40 AM
of course winning is good and of course there needs to be work done on the team if we lose, all im saying is we can't be perfect or switch teams because we have 1-2, or say so and so needs to be fired which SteelersMongol has pointed out.

steelerdave1969
09-28-2009, 05:01 AM
My view on this bandwagon thing is, if your a Steelers fan now and you was a Patriots fan 3 years ago saying they were the Best All-Time, oh and then you were a Rams fan back when Kurt Warner was leading the Greatest Show on Turf and now your a Steelers fan?...
Well, I have been a Steelers fan since I can remember back to around 1980 or 81'.. as bad as I hate it I cant remember watching the 70's super bowl wins. But from the furtherest back I can remember I have never pulled for anyone else and I will Never have a number One team other than the Steelers.. thats the Pittsburgh Steelers to you wanna be fans who switch teams like I change underwear... ooohhhh..:rofl:

My Love For the Steelers is Like the love for my First True Love of my life... It Will Never Die

:tt02:

PalmerSteel
09-28-2009, 06:24 AM
there can be fans just as dedicated and true through thick and thin the same, but we are all humans and that means we all deal with adversity differently.

we will truly see what our team is made of now. if we are going to do this thing, nothing will show it more than some home cookin, after a road losing streak, on sunday night. SAN DIEGO, I AM SORRY WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO GO THROUGH NEXT SUNDAY NIGHT! :helmet:

eafratitpm3
09-28-2009, 07:27 AM
A true Steeler fan is a Pirate Fan, lol.

Texasteel
09-28-2009, 07:50 AM
We all take losses hard, especially when it's to a team that we're clearly better than.

For whatever it's worth, while the Bungholes are celebrating their stroke of luck, no one on our side of the fence is resting easy until the season is over. Pittsburgh starting off 1-2 just means that we don't have to sweat bullets if we come up short against New England next week, or if we drop one of our games head up. Long way to go before this season is over.

You still have to play us twice bud, so we are starting off even. :wink02: That means you better beat NE. Beat um into the turf, then cover um up.

Texasteel
09-28-2009, 07:51 AM
A true Steeler fan is a Pirate Fan, lol.

Don't forget the Pens.

eafratitpm3
09-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Don't forget the Pens.

The Pens don't have 17 losing seasons. When you're a Pirate fan the only way to go is up.

The_WARDen
09-28-2009, 07:59 AM

Steelers forever

Here we go

You forgot:

1. Drink the koolaid.
2. Wave the pom poms!

stlrtruck
09-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Calling out shortcomings of your favorite team doesn't make you a bandwagoner. It's just a part of the passion you have for the team.

I believe there is a DEFINITIVE difference in pointing out the short comings in a game and discussing certain aspects of the game without calling for heads to roll. Some posters here are on the instant, "FIRE ARIANS" "CUT SWEED" and so on and so on type threads the moment we lose.

I definitely saw places yesterday were we needed more consistency and definite improvement but it doesn't mean that I think certain players need to be cut or coaches fire.

Texasteel
09-28-2009, 08:07 AM
You forgot:

1. Drink the koolaid.
2. Wave the pom poms!

1. I prefer orange, or even lime, but grape will do in a pinch.

2. Pom poms hurt my wrists.

You forgot
3. Bitch your head of and cuss the team you say you love every chance you get.

Texasteel
09-28-2009, 10:08 AM
The Pens don't have 17 losing seasons. When you're a Pirate fan the only way to go is up.

The Pirate may have become the lovable losers, but I can remember Willie standing at the plate whirling his bat around waiting for the pitch, and the sound of WE ARE FAMILY in the background. There has never a better moment in baseball and most teams will never have anything like that in their history.

Remember, this is not the first time Pittsburgh has been the city of champions.

BAC
09-28-2009, 11:32 AM
I was born in '77. I can just barely remember the Steelers in the late 70's. I was laying on the floor while my uncle & cousin went completely crazy over the tv. I grew up a Steeler fan, I didn't have a choice. I've never been embarassed, or said I'm not a fan. Sure, They've had tough times, but Im still here, & that makes the good times all that much better. I get upset too, at the play-calling, at the players, at the refs, but the Steelers know how to win, & they will.

I will love the Steelers until the day I die. It's an unconditional kind of love. They are "my" team, period.

:tt03:

fansince'76
09-28-2009, 11:35 AM
1. I prefer orange, or even lime, but grape will do in a pinch.

2. Pom poms hurt my wrists.

You forgot
3. Bitch your head of and cuss the team you say you love every chance you get.

You forgot:

4. Go off on multiple tangents demanding so-and-so be cut, so-and-so be fired, so-and-so be executed, and whine endlessly how it's 2006 all over again.

revefsreleets
09-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Absolutely nothing wrong with a little critiquing here and there...obviously the Steelers have some problems, hence the 1-2 and not the 3-0 that they should be.

I think the real issue here is with people who either lose their heads completely over this stuff, or those who simply don't know enough about how the game is played to be making sweeping critical assessments of the team.

My particular pet peeve is these people who simply cannot credit coaches with wins or lay the blame for losses at the players feet. The game yesterday was NOT lost due to coaching, it was lost due to repeated failure to execute by several players during the course of the game. The gameplan on both sides of the ball was good enough to win by 3 TD's, and the players simply did not live up to their end of the bargain.

Steeldude
09-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Frank Summers is not ready yet, he needs one more year to learn the playbook , gain some weight

he's 243. how big do you want him?

fansince'76
09-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Frank Summers is not ready yet, he needs one more year to learn the playbook , gain some weight

He's gotta be at least 280+, like Da Bus!

Edman
09-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Ooh boy, another "true" fan topic. This ought to be good.

I love the Steelers and want to see them succeed, that doesn't mean that I have to look at this 1-2 record and say everything's fine like "the true fans". Obviously, everything is not fine. If we were 3-0 and didn't crumble against the Bears and yesterday, I'd be keeping my mouth shut. But we didn't. I have every right to express my discontent in the team's sub-par play especially in the second half of games. Especially when we're supposed to have a Defense that's one of the best in the business.

These two losses were easily winnable games, and we bungled them worse than the Bungles.

steelreserve
09-28-2009, 12:13 PM
I don't think anyone needs to be fired, but no way does criticism make you any worse of a fan. You just see a way you think the team could do better, and you're saying so -- what's wrong with that? Yet there are some people who think it's your responsibility to just smile and nod and support every decision the team makes. Seriously, come on. Not every move is going to be a right one.

And likewise, not every bit of criticism means we think the whole team sucks, or the coaches are idiots, or we're going through 2006 all over again, etc., etc. It would help if certain people would learn the difference.

fansince'76
09-28-2009, 12:17 PM
I don't think anyone needs to be fired, but no way does criticism make you any worse of a fan. You just see a way you think the team could do better, and you're saying so -- what's wrong with that? Yet there are some people who think it's your responsibility to just smile and nod and support every decision the team makes. Seriously, come on. Not every move is going to be a right one.

And likewise, not every bit of criticism means we think the whole team sucks, or the coaches are idiots, or we're going through 2006 all over again, etc., etc. It would help if certain people would learn the difference.

So, you don't think some of the "criticism" around here is just a bit over the top? OK. Never said everything was fine either, but I'm not declaring the season over or that it's 2006 all over again either.

The_WARDen
09-28-2009, 12:25 PM

Nope criticism is NOT allowed! Please turn in your fan card and please have some kool aid on your way out.

Thank you!
:drink:

The_WARDen
09-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong with a little critiquing here and there...obviously the Steelers have some problems, hence the 1-2 and not the 3-0 that they should be.

I think the real issue here is with people who either lose their heads completely over this stuff, or those who simply don't know enough about how the game is played to be making sweeping critical assessments of the team.

My particular pet peeve is these people who simply cannot credit coaches with wins or lay the blame for losses at the players feet. The game yesterday was NOT lost due to coaching, it was lost due to repeated failure to execute by several players during the course of the game. The gameplan on both sides of the ball was good enough to win by 3 TD's, and the players simply did not live up to their end of the bargain.

I've been hearing this excuse pretty regularly now. Isn't part of the coaches' job to get the players to perform?

The coaches have blame here too! Either that or the organization built a team of stupid players and should be held accountable.

steelreserve
09-28-2009, 12:30 PM
So, you don't think some of the "criticism" around here is just a bit over the top? OK. Never said everything was fine either, but I'm not declaring the season over or that it's 2006 all over again either.

Oh yeah, there's always a lot of that, but I really just chalk it up to the background chatter of the Internet. People are always going to show up and run their mouths, and there's really no way to stop it. I just don't think it does any good to get worked up about it, and also, it seems to wear on some people enough that they lump all (or at least most) criticism in with the meatheads.

But .. yeah, anyway. I don't see anything particularly wrong with this team, except I think it needs to recapture a certain fire. Two losses by a lousy field goal are not the end of the world, but I hope they're at least a wake-up call.

fansince'76
09-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Nope criticism is NOT allowed! Please turn in your fan card and please have some kool aid on your way out.

Thank you!
:drink:

Sorry, I'll get with the program. We suck. This season's over and we're doomed to a 5-11 record. It's 2006 all over again. We need to fire Arians, LeBeau, Tomlin, the Rooneys and the Rooneys' family dog. And I'm gonna say it over and over and over and over and over again and start 15 different threads about it letting everyone else know it, too!

revefsreleets
09-28-2009, 12:31 PM
I've been hearing this excuse pretty regularly now. Isn't part of the coaches' job to get the players to perform?

The coaches have blame here too! Either that or the organization built a team of stupid players and should be held accountable.

Cut them all!

LOL at the "Da Bus" comment...

I'm outta this whole forum for awhile...it's just too ridiculous...

43Hitman
09-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi fellow Steelerís fans, this is my first post, long time Steeler fan from one of the bigger cities of the Steeler Nation Ö Mexico City.

I have some thoughts throughout 3 games.

1.-The team needs to keep pushing the pedal on the offensive side of the ball for all 4 quarters. Keep on going with the no-huddle offense, this year Iíve noticed an improvement in the OL performance.

2.- Try to change the pass-rush scheme a little, looks like the opposite teams have learned how to combat Silverback and Woodley without having Troy backing them up.

3.- The officials no calling for holding on the pass rushers must be addressed by the FO with R. Goodell, the no calls are piling up like crazy.

4.- If the Steelers are now a pass happy team, so be it, I can live without Cowher ball, lol

5.- Execute and play with passion. I noticed the team playing with no passion in the past 2 games, specially in 4th qts.

6.- Looks like the good ole FWP has the days numbered, despite of todayís performance, but what do I know ?

7.- Frank Summers is not ready yet, he needs one more year to learn the playbook , gain some weight and improve his blocking technique.

8.- Mike Wallace has been a great addition so far, I think he will win the 3rd. WR spot over Limas Sweed.

9.- Itís ok to be pissed by losing to the Bears and the Bungles, but come on, letís keep the faith, there are thirteen games left in the regular season, the sky isnít falling.

10.- I will let the FO takes care about the offensive coordinators and coaches, I trust in their decisions.

Go Steelers !!! :tt02:

Good first post, and welcome to Steelers Fever. :wave: :tt02:

SteelGhost
09-28-2009, 12:50 PM

My bad, I really wanted to say "muscle" or "strength" :wink02: to honor his nickname "The Tank" that is.

On Edit. Thanks for the kind welcome 43Hitman !

Steeldude
09-28-2009, 01:03 PM
He's gotta be at least 280+, like Da Bus!

sweet :rofl:

nothing like a 280lb+ FB

43Hitman
09-28-2009, 01:15 PM
sweet :rofl:

nothing like a 280lb+ FB

:chuckle: We really just need to trade Sweed for Kuhn and all of our problems will be solved. I mean really, Troy will be healed, our running game will go to first in the league overnight without a game even being played, and our defense will return to mid-season form of last year.:wink02:

SteelRNation
09-28-2009, 01:16 PM

Right there with ya, buddy. I guess we're showing our age. Alot of the younger Steeler fans don't know about the pitfalls and ugly seasons we had after the 70's ended. Here's one for the youngsters that maybe they didnt know. In 1983, we drafted a guy by the name of Gabe Rivera and passed on a young qb coming out of the university of Pitt. Hometown son. His name? Dan Marino. And alot of Steeler fans were sure we were gonna draft him to take over for Bradshaw. Anyway...we didnt. We took Rivera, who got into a car accident and ended up paralyzed before his career even started. Just some of the trials and tribulations that some of us older Steeler fans had to endure.

43Hitman
09-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Right there with ya, buddy. I guess we're showing our age. Alot of the younger Steeler fans don't know about the pitfalls and ugly seasons we had after the 70's ended. Here's one for the youngsters that maybe they didnt know. In 1983, we drafted a guy by the name of Gabe Rivera and passed on a young qb coming out of the university of Pitt. Hometown son. His name? Dan Marino. And alot of Steeler fans were sure we were gonna draft him to take over for Bradshaw. Anyway...we didnt. We took Rivera, who got into a car accident and ended up paralyzed before his career even started. Just some of the trials and tribulations that some of us older Steeler fans had to endure.

No doubt man, when Ben was in that accident I couldn't help but to think about Rivera. Thank the good Lord that Ben was okay.

fansince'76
09-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Alot of the younger Steeler fans don't know about the pitfalls and ugly seasons we had after the 70's ended. Here's one for the youngsters that maybe they didnt know. In 1983, we drafted a guy by the name of Gabe Rivera and passed on a young qb coming out of the university of Pitt. Hometown son. His name? Dan Marino.

Or have experienced 51-0 opening day losses at home to the Browns, or experienced playing against Marino in the AFCCG knowing full well that the Steelers got lucky getting there and were simply in no way good enough to win and then watching him absolutely torch us all day to advance to the Super Bowl, and yet in a way still being thankful that Marino spared us the embarrassment of being shellacked in said Super Bowl by the 49ers. The 80s were fun. /sarcasm

triphahn
09-28-2009, 01:48 PM
What makes it bad is the Steelers are a better team then the Bears or Bengals. Losing to a good team is one thing but losing to mediocre teams sucks.

eafratitpm3
09-28-2009, 01:58 PM
As a long time Steeler fan I've never met or known a Steeler fan that wasn't a true Steeler fan. I don't believe there is such a thing as a Bandwagon Steeler fan. I would call all the posters on here that say negative things about the Steelers after a loss just get so emotional at the time they just have to vent. They are actually far from Band wagon fans they are just die hards from birth.

X-Terminator
09-28-2009, 02:04 PM
As a long time Steeler fan I've never met or known a Steeler fan that wasn't a true Steeler fan. I don't believe there is such a thing as a Bandwagon Steeler fan. I would call all the posters on here that say negative things about the Steelers after a loss just get so emotional at the time they just have to vent. They are actually far from Band wagon fans they are just die hards from birth.

Well then maybe they shouldn't get so worked up over the games. You can be a die-hard fan and still keep things in their proper perspective. Instead, we get umpteen threads about how much so-and-so sucks and "cut this guy" and "I'm not watching them anymore this year," and BS like that. We wouldn't need threads like this if the negative neds and the "just signed up to bitch and moan" crowd wouldn't keep providing the ammo. That behavior doesn't make them bandwagon fans...it makes them fairweather fans.

bblocker14
09-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Don't cut anyone and work with what you have. Execution was the reason why the game slipped out of the Steelers hands yesterday. A couple of unfortunate plays, mis-communication and violating the new (BS) editions to the rulebook all had a hand at the loss yesterday.

Troy is missed, but the team can rally around his loss.

First post here, glad to meet everyone. I've been lurking for a long, long time.

Steeler fan since 1976. A nice year to begin :)

Now I have to go work on that 75/58/95/50/99/55/92 avatar :)

SteelTalons
09-28-2009, 02:35 PM
The Steelers aren't immune to bandwagoners. Any team thats successful or above all, wins the Superbowl... Rounds up a nice... Oh I dunno. Few million or so assholes that claim they've been fans the whole time.

Thats like here it was Im talking all last year, we get to the Superbowl. And people have by this point ether split into the Steelers/Cardinals camps. After we win Im seeing all these people with #43, #7, etc jerseys on. And you try and talk about the ball game with them and its like a god damn echo.

Im like I know I've heard that before. Oh wait Madden said that, oh wait they said that during the highlights. Theres just a lot of vague, we scored a TD because Ben threw the ball to Holmes at the corner of the endzone type shit.

Then as if they aren't already squirming by this point we I start mentioning players other than the RB's, WR's, and Ben. Or asking them about other parts of the game. If I go to talking about the season leading up to it. I catch myself doing most of the talking and them being like... Yeah man I know! They just inject the occasional thing they remember seeing on ESPN to try to deflect any detailed conversation.

And Im not really one to bust out the numbers and go into some over the top conversation randomly. Im lazy, I don't feel like talking most of the time, so Im sure as hell not gonna do all of it.

As far as history goes, they've got a little knowledge. And by a little I mean they can say, "We have 6 Lombardis!". They can't tell you about Mel Blount, Joe Greene, Swann, Ham, Russell, Harris, etc. They can't tell you about Lloyd, Woodson, Kevin Greene, Neil & Kordell, etc(I find the 80s-00s players are the most unknown to a lot of people. Other than the 1933-69 players of course which their honestly limited sources for that information so its not something you learn about easily unless you go out of your way to find it.

These bastards are about as diehard as paper plates. And come the offseason and the draft they fall off the face of the Earth! I'll be honest, I don't really watch college football or follow it. So I can't say a lot about draft day and who I think we should get more often than not, but once I see who we got I go out and look into what these guys are able to do with great interest.

So don't tell me all these jackasses were born diehard and people don't bandwagon for Pittsburgh, because I've seen enough and then some to prove otherwise. Any team that wins it all at the years end collects additional fans for the year until someone else takes it or they derail.

I think the difference here is you have... Diehard fans, they win or lose. Its black and gold all day. And fairweather fans who will ether stop watching until the Steelers are winning or will bitch and moan about every little mishap or let down to the point it annoys the diehard fans.

If the team we were following was the Oakland Raiders, Id be with you, have at it! That'd be realistic, but little stupid mistakes and not finishing games? Hell no. Because as soon as they get their head back on. Its gonna be all out war on the field, the team can, does, and will improve. There isn't a dumbass coach, or owner who is gonna derail that, despite how much people wanna bitch about Arians and so on!

I'll be honest, I've only called for the head of Coach Z, and for the OL to step up the whole time Ive been here! And my reason for that was, historically Coach Z couldn't get it done. But he's proving me wrong! And Im GLAD.

Most of these people take the good things and ignore them, only to obsess on the bad ones. I'm confident, in the front office, the coaching staff, and the players! We KNOW they can do it, its a matter of doing it now. Its not like we can't?! So why is there this panic!

I know I've seen a couple posts on here that are calling on Reed about what the hells going on... The man was 2/3 on FGs and 2/2 on XPs. Thats not a Chicago kinda mishap. Thats a man missing a difficult 51yard FG! Santo as dropped passes, Sweed has dropped passes. It happens, we know Santo is great and he have seen Sweed make very hard catches, we know both the guys can do it, but like everything its a constant cycle of trying to stay sharp and improve.

And remember drops breed drops. People can argue till the world ends that oh they suck and he needs to be cut, and fire that guy he's a bum. And the only thing that leads credibility to that bullshit is the "L".

But when this team has the ability to bring in the "W" and is a stones throw away from being able to do so. Because of some sort of... Slump. With a coach that will drive the team towards the mentality needed to succeed.

Aint it a little early for all this... Sky is falling, its over. Kinda talk. You people are as bad a Al Davis, shit dont go your way fire them! Its that little kid mentality to bitch and moan about every damn thing that annoys the majority of this board.

I haven't been on this board to long, and I thought a lot of the "Fire/Cut" threads were silly... And was sorta like "Its stupid but why does it annoy people so much?".

Well now I see, because people go on the rag in droves over any little thing.

~RANT OVER~

WindyCitySteelerFan
09-28-2009, 02:47 PM
I think most people on here are pretty devoted. A lot of the negative posts seem to be more frustration based.

Personally I would be pissed if someone told me what I can or cannot say about a team I have supported for 40 years. So, you know what, I was there during all of the bad years, living in Baltimore no less! (UGH!)

We need to figure it out quick, San Diego wants a piece of the Steeler pie now, as does, pretty much everyone else. We're falling apart during the 4th quarter, I don't know what needs to happen, but it needs to happen quick.

SteelTalons
09-28-2009, 02:50 PM
I think most people on here are pretty devoted. A lot of the negative posts seem to be more frustration based.

Personally I would be pissed if someone told me what I can or cannot say about a team I have supported for 40 years. So, you know what, I was there during all of the bad years, living in Baltimore no less! (UGH!)

We need to figure it out quick, San Diego wants a piece of the Steeler pie now, as does, pretty much everyone else. We're falling apart during the 4th quarter, I don't know what needs to happen, but it needs to happen quick.

The difference is though, constructive criticism and then outright bashing. Its one thing to say... Okay this happened, and explain it. Its another to start 7 threads each devote to firing/cutting a specific person or to misrepresent what happened. And present it in a way that suggests "We suck and can't do it" versus the reality "We ****ed up, we have the ability, its a matter of doing this or getting back on track with that".

The truth hurts, no doubt. But the massive gush of ignorance at once is whats pissing off people.

WindyCitySteelerFan
09-28-2009, 02:53 PM
There are WAY too many posts today... It sucks, but we'll fix it. We're the Steelers.

steel striker
09-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Look at the bright side we lost two winable games. We simply are not playing steeler football which is 60 minutes. It is still early aand, we have time to turn the ship around & get rolling.Maybe Sweed needs to use some stickum. lol What are they going to do put in him in football jail? lol Relax will we be fine.

Christian Snyder
09-28-2009, 03:56 PM

Steelers forever

Here we go
Well said. I'll be a Steelers fan whether we win the SB or go 0-16! GO STEELERS!!!!:tt02::tt:

X-Terminator
09-28-2009, 04:06 PM
The truth hurts, no doubt. But the massive gush of ignorance at once is whats pissing off people.

Everyone who is calling those of us who are tired of the negativity on this board "pollyannas" and "kool-aid drinking homers" needs to read this sentence. Because this is EXACTLY the reason why so many of us get so annoyed with the "sky is falling" crowd. It cannot be said any better than that.

Indo
09-28-2009, 04:16 PM
The Steelers aren't immune to bandwagoners. Any team thats successful or above all, wins the Superbowl... Rounds up a nice... Oh I dunno. Few million or so assholes that claim they've been fans the whole time.

Thats like here it was Im talking all last year, we get to the Superbowl. And people have by this point ether split into the Steelers/Cardinals camps. After we win Im seeing all these people with #43, #7, etc jerseys on. And you try and talk about the ball game with them and its like a god damn echo.

Im like I know I've heard that before. Oh wait Madden said that, oh wait they said that during the highlights. Theres just a lot of vague, we scored a TD because Ben threw the ball to Holmes at the corner of the endzone type shit.

Then as if they aren't already squirming by this point we I start mentioning players other than the RB's, WR's, and Ben. Or asking them about other parts of the game. If I go to talking about the season leading up to it. I catch myself doing most of the talking and them being like... Yeah man I know! They just inject the occasional thing they remember seeing on ESPN to try to deflect any detailed conversation.

And Im not really one to bust out the numbers and go into some over the top conversation randomly. Im lazy, I don't feel like talking most of the time, so Im sure as hell not gonna do all of it.

As far as history goes, they've got a little knowledge. And by a little I mean they can say, "We have 6 Lombardis!". They can't tell you about Mel Blount, Joe Greene, Swann, Ham, Russell, Harris, etc. They can't tell you about Lloyd, Woodson, Kevin Greene, Neil & Kordell, etc(I find the 80s-00s players are the most unknown to a lot of people. Other than the 1933-69 players of course which their honestly limited sources for that information so its not something you learn about easily unless you go out of your way to find it.

These bastards are about as diehard as paper plates. And come the offseason and the draft they fall off the face of the Earth! I'll be honest, I don't really watch college football or follow it. So I can't say a lot about draft day and who I think we should get more often than not, but once I see who we got I go out and look into what these guys are able to do with great interest.

So don't tell me all these jackasses were born diehard and people don't bandwagon for Pittsburgh, because I've seen enough and then some to prove otherwise. Any team that wins it all at the years end collects additional fans for the year until someone else takes it or they derail.

I think the difference here is you have... Diehard fans, they win or lose. Its black and gold all day. And fairweather fans who will ether stop watching until the Steelers are winning or will bitch and moan about every little mishap or let down to the point it annoys the diehard fans.

If the team we were following was the Oakland Raiders, Id be with you, have at it! That'd be realistic, but little stupid mistakes and not finishing games? Hell no. Because as soon as they get their head back on. Its gonna be all out war on the field, the team can, does, and will improve. There isn't a dumbass coach, or owner who is gonna derail that, despite how much people wanna bitch about Arians and so on!

I'll be honest, I've only called for the head of Coach Z, and for the OL to step up the whole time Ive been here! And my reason for that was, historically Coach Z couldn't get it done. But he's proving me wrong! And Im GLAD.

Most of these people take the good things and ignore them, only to obsess on the bad ones. I'm confident, in the front office, the coaching staff, and the players! We KNOW they can do it, its a matter of doing it now. Its not like we can't?! So why is there this panic!

I know I've seen a couple posts on here that are calling on Reed about what the hells going on... The man was 2/3 on FGs and 2/2 on XPs. Thats not a Chicago kinda mishap. Thats a man missing a difficult 51yard FG! Santo as dropped passes, Sweed has dropped passes. It happens, we know Santo is great and he have seen Sweed make very hard catches, we know both the guys can do it, but like everything its a constant cycle of trying to stay sharp and improve.

And remember drops breed drops. People can argue till the world ends that oh they suck and he needs to be cut, and fire that guy he's a bum. And the only thing that leads credibility to that bullshit is the "L".

But when this team has the ability to bring in the "W" and is a stones throw away from being able to do so. Because of some sort of... Slump. With a coach that will drive the team towards the mentality needed to succeed.

Aint it a little early for all this... Sky is falling, its over. Kinda talk. You people are as bad a Al Davis, shit dont go your way fire them! Its that little kid mentality to bitch and moan about every damn thing that annoys the majority of this board.

I haven't been on this board to long, and I thought a lot of the "Fire/Cut" threads were silly... And was sorta like "Its stupid but why does it annoy people so much?".

~RANT OVER~

Excellent post.

43Hitman
09-28-2009, 04:17 PM

Everyone who is calling those of us who are tired of the negativity on this board "pollyannas" and "kool-aid drinking homers" needs to read this sentence. Because this is EXACTLY the reason why so many of us get so annoyed with the "sky is falling" crowd. It cannot be said any better than that.

:hatsoff:

Texasteel
09-28-2009, 05:22 PM

I really don't care what they call me. I am surrounded by cowboy fans, and the attitude is about the same. I can deal with it.

BlastFurnace
09-28-2009, 05:27 PM
I really don't care what they call me. I am surrounded by cowboy fans, and the attitude is about the same. I can deal with it.

Me too. The best thing to take the edge off this week is to have Carolina win tonight at JerryLand.

ricksteelers55
09-28-2009, 05:52 PM

between you and me you are the silly one dude.

they've loss their first back to back game since 2007 have 2 super bowl in 4 years.If you want to root for an undefeated team feel free to quit the steelers and root for Ravens,Broncos or any of those 3-0 teams.

I never said it's not okay to point out things that you feel arent right,but remember at the end of the day,we are nothing else than monday morning QBs.If we were that good at football management we wouldnt be on this forum,we'd be coaching a team

ricksteelers55
09-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Ooh boy, another "true" fan topic. This ought to be good.

I love the Steelers and want to see them succeed, that doesn't mean that I have to look at this 1-2 record and say everything's fine like "the true fans". Obviously, everything is not fine. If we were 3-0 and didn't crumble against the Bears and yesterday, I'd be keeping my mouth shut. But we didn't. I have every right to express my discontent in the team's sub-par play especially in the second half of games. Especially when we're supposed to have a Defense that's one of the best in the business.

These two losses were easily winnable games, and we bungled them worse than the Bungles.

Did i say that ? I said that it's funny how fast people can start complaining and whinning after a 1-2 record.If you're honnest how many games last year did we win that we shouldnt have ? We won the SB and I was glad we did so.Now we're off to a rough start,but everything's gonna be alright.

I hate to see bashers with like 10 post ever on this forum.I mean where were they when we won the SB ?

ricksteelers55
09-28-2009, 06:10 PM

~RANT OVER~

2 thumps up

jcdavey08
09-28-2009, 08:11 PM
how any of you can even talk about bandwagon , being fans of a team who has 6 profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltering lombardi's, is beyond me

i've got no sympathy for any of you, no offense, but try being a chargers fan since the 70's

i thought so...you'd never be able to handle it if i'm seeing threads like this from a team with 6 lombardi's, in week 3 of the year after they just won their 6th profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltering lombardi lol

43Hitman
09-28-2009, 08:13 PM
how any of you can even talk about bandwagon , being fans of a team who has 6 profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltering lombardi's, is beyond me

i've got no sympathy for any of you, no offense, but try being a chargers fan since the 70's

i thought so...you'd never be able to handle it if i'm seeing threads like this from a team with 6 lombardi's, in week 3 of the year after they just won their 6th profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltering lombardi lol

Don't go lumping all of us into one basket. You know the old saying, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease", I think it applies to these boards the last couple of weeks. Good luck to you guys this weekend.

X-Terminator
09-28-2009, 08:37 PM

The problem, jc, is that for the most part, The Nation is spoiled. They expect perfection and championships every year, or else the team and the season is a failure. It's not enough to simply win a championship - it has to be dominating. Me? I'll just take the championships, thank you very much. Many in our fan base have become as jaded as Spankee fans, with the negative outlook of your average Philthy fan. That is a big part of the reason why you see threads like this around here in week freaking 3 of a 16-game season.

ricksteelers55
09-28-2009, 08:40 PM
these topics exist because some people cant do anything else than whinning and bitching our beloved Steelers.

We lost one if not the most valuable player to our team what do you expect ?

There is no team that will suffer a injury to a player like us with Troy.

I dont like using excuses but please comeback when Troy will be back and tell me honestly it wasnt the main reason why we struggled defensively.

You see when I love someone I dont go out bitching against the person....no cause I know there will be good and bad moments but in the end you know you love her.

Same for the Steelers

steelerzfannforever
09-28-2009, 08:41 PM
I to have been alive to see all of our superbowl victories. Yes, it absolutely sucks that we lost and are 1-2, and hopefully the team will pull it together; if not then Im still the same true die hard Steeler fan that I have been all my life. As far as Im concerned, there are the Steelers and then there are 31 other teams.

BlastFurnace
09-28-2009, 08:42 PM

I still hate the Chargers for ruining the 1994 season for me. Still can't believe we lost that game. Stinking Tony Martin, Alfred Pupunu, Stan Humphries...

tony hipchest
09-28-2009, 08:53 PM
The problem, jc, is that for the most part, The Nation is spoiled. They expect perfection and championships every year, or else the team and the season is a failure. It's not enough to simply win a championship - it has to be dominating. Me? I'll just take the championships, thank you very much. Many in our fan base have become as jaded as Spankee fans, with the negative outlook of your average Philthy fan. That is a big part of the reason why you see threads like this around here in week freaking 3 of a 16-game season.and to be fair, alot of the "nation" is more than content to rest on its "we still have 6 rings and your team dont, so we're still better" laurels.

i really have no problem with fans being being pissed with giving up games to the bears and bungles in '09 or the falcons and raiders in '06 (either of which cost us the playoffs).

im also a bit taken aback with the "flip the swich" mentality with some of the fans on the other side. im not one to panic, as the steelers proved they are capable of flipping the switch in their last title defense, finishing the season 6-2.

but i will not ignore a dire situation 1-2 puts us in (especially when home field advantage and a division title is the main goal before reaching the playoffs.

im not gonna rip the majority of the fanbase. just like me and you they all want what is best for the team.

MongoSteeler
09-29-2009, 03:53 AM
I've been a Steelers fan since 1966. I've loved watching them in every game I've been fortunate enough to see. I was sitting in a car in very northern Canada listening to the Super Bowl against Dallas fade in and out on the radio because the CBC[the one and only station up there] decided there was no Canadian content and didn't show the game after showing all the playoff games.I've lived in Bishkek,Kyrgyzstan for 10 years and gotten up at 1:00 in the morning to watch whatever game they would show just to get live Steeler scores. As Steelers Fans we've got it pretty good. Appreciate all they have given us over the years.

Steel_12
09-29-2009, 09:28 AM

Steelers forever

Here we go

Same shyt every year. A real fan is someone who will never stop supporting the team...that doesn't mean the real fan has to be happy no matter what happens on the field. That's dumb. This thread is dumb too.

X-Terminator
09-29-2009, 09:44 AM
and to be fair, alot of the "nation" is more than content to rest on its "we still have 6 rings and your team dont, so we're still better" laurels.

i really have no problem with fans being being pissed with giving up games to the bears and bungles in '09 or the falcons and raiders in '06 (either of which cost us the playoffs).

im also a bit taken aback with the "flip the swich" mentality with some of the fans on the other side. im not one to panic, as the steelers proved they are capable of flipping the switch in their last title defense, finishing the season 6-2.

but i will not ignore a dire situation 1-2 puts us in (especially when home field advantage and a division title is the main goal before reaching the playoffs.

im not gonna rip the majority of the fanbase. just like me and you they all want what is best for the team.

I'm not asking for anyone to ignore the 1-2 record. It's just the way some people are acting, the season may as well be over. It isn't. And it has nothing to do with a "flip the switch" mentality. I and many others just believe the team is better than their record and that they will start proving it in the coming weeks. All they need to do is just get into the playoffs. It doesn't matter if they win the division...just get a spot. After that, anything can happen as recent history has shown. And if they don't? It isn't the end of the world.

I'm sure the fanbase wants what's best for the team. But I have no problem calling a spade a spade. Everyone raves about how wonderful our fans are, and I don't disagree. But Steelers fans have turned into some of biggest fair-weather fans in the league. It's just what I've observed over the years. People will disagree with me and give me shit for saying it. That's fine. I stand firmly behind my opinion.

I know, right? :chuckle:
I never would have expected Steeler fans to become spoiled. I thought we would be made of sterner stuff.

Heck, I consider it a good season every time we make the playoffs.

Ditto. But it is what it is.

Steel_12
09-29-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm not asking for anyone to ignore the 1-2 record. It's just the way some people are acting, the season may as well be over. It isn't. And it has nothing to do with a "flip the switch" mentality. I and many others just believe the team is better than their record and that they will start proving it in the coming weeks. All they need to do is just get into the playoffs. It doesn't matter if they win the division...just get a spot. After that, anything can happen as recent history has shown. And if they don't? It isn't the end of the world.

I'm sure the fanbase wants what's best for the team. But I have no problem calling a spade a spade. Everyone raves about how wonderful our fans are, and I don't disagree. But Steelers fans have turned into some of biggest fair-weather fans in the league. It's just what I've observed over the years. People will disagree with me and give me shit for saying it. That's fine. I stand firmly behind my opinion.

Ditto. But it is what it is.

I think the people who criticize the team believe that the team is better than their record also. But if we keep playing terribly in the 4th quarter of games, that 4th easiest schedule will get tougher and tougher each week. Like someone stated earlier in the week...we could be 3-0 but we could also be 0-3 if not for the coin toss going our way, week 1. That causes concern and it should. You say all we have to do is make the playoffs but if we keep losing games we should win, we won't make the playoffs.

jcdavey08
09-30-2009, 03:39 PM
I still hate the Chargers for ruining the 1994 season for me. Still can't believe we lost that game. Stinking Tony Martin, Alfred Pupunu, Stan Humphries...i still can't believe we won that game

too bad we didn't do anything afterwards

jcdavey08
09-30-2009, 03:46 PM
I know, right? :chuckle:
I never would have expected Steeler fans to become spoiled. I thought we would be made of sterner stuff.

Heck, I consider it a good season every time we make the playoffs.that's how i am, despite having never seen my team win the lombardi

but holy crap, if i was a steelers fan.....i couldn't imagine the term bandwagon EVER coming up

sure i'd be pissed about dropping games like the ones you guys just dropped but man, i'd still be in a state of overall bliss haha

memphissteelergirl
09-30-2009, 04:36 PM
*Sigh*

Ok....I didn't read through all the posts in this thread...didn't have to. I just saw the title of the thread and just rolled my eyes.

Yes it takes your team tanking their last two games to bring out another one of those ever-popular "You're-Not-A-True-Fan-If-You-Give-Up-On-Them" threads. (Cue the scary music Dum...dum...dum)

Now I will preface what I'm about to say with this statement: There are those fans who will find an excuse to b*tch and moan about anything and everything about what's going on with the team and justify by saying they're not being a "homer." Personally, I think these folks just love being negative and love to "stir the pot."

That said...being constructively critical of your team does not make you a bandwagoner either. I love my Steelers like crazy!! I don't see myself shifting my loyalty to any other NFL team (unless given some mind-altering drug :chuckle:). But let's face facts here! They are not playing like defending SB champions! Even our D is asleep at the wheel lately. And the second half of that Cincy game was an embarassment! No sense sugar-coating it.

But even as upset as I was (and still am) about that game, I will still be in my Steeler gear on Sunday cheering them on. That, my friends, is not giving up. That's being a fan. As fans we should know what this team can do, and every Sunday you cheer them on and hope they play up to their potential.

And with that I say:
GO STEELERS! LET'S BOUNCE BACK AGAINST THE DOLTS....ER, BOLTS! :chuckle:
HERE WE GO, STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!
:tt02::tt02::tt02:

BlastFurnace
09-30-2009, 04:50 PM
*Sigh*

Ok....I didn't read through all the posts in this thread...didn't have to. I just saw the title of the thread and just rolled my eyes.

Yes it takes your team tanking their last two games to bring out another one of those ever-popular "You're-Not-A-True-Fan-If-You-Give-Up-On-Them" threads. (Cue the scary music Dum...dum...dum)

Now I will preface what I'm about to say with this statement: There are those fans who will find an excuse to b*tch and moan about anything and everything about what's going on with the team and justify by saying they're not being a "homer." Personally, I think these folks just love being negative and love to "stir the pot."

That said...being constructively critical of your team does not make you a bandwagoner either. I love my Steelers like crazy!! I don't see myself shifting my loyalty to any other NFL team (unless given some mind-altering drug :chuckle:). But let's face facts here! They are not playing like defending SB champions! Even our D is asleep at the wheel lately. And the second half of that Cincy game was an embarassment! No sense sugar-coating it.

But even as upset as I was (and still am) about that game, I will still be in my Steeler gear on Sunday cheering them on. That, my friends, is not giving up. That's being a fan. As fans we should know what this team can do, and every Sunday you cheer them on and hope they play up to their potential.

And with that I say:

Best post of the entire thread!

ricksteelers55
09-30-2009, 05:12 PM
The thing is like some pointed out there is no problem with not being satisfied with your team performances.

You even can tell what you didnt like or would fix...but when you start bashing the team and saying the team is not that good and all that crap 3 games after a SB championship,please dont tell me that they are true fans.I mean where were they when we won the title and they werent on that board ? Easier to bitch when things arent going well then say positive things when everything's fine.

As far as bandwagonners the term that I used might be a little bit ''big'' because again when you root for the Steelers with 6 championship you will always have bw.I havent been a fan in the 70's but I start rooting for the Steelers in the late 80's(I live in Canada where they only play 3 downs Football) and so I wanted to have my own favorite team.I dont know why I didnt jump on the 49ers or Dolphins bandwagon.Never been attracted to those teams.I really enjoyed watching the Steelers.Then in the mid-90's I got a satelite tv that allowed me to watch more than just prime time games.Now I have the nfl package since 04 I think and I can tell you that even though I dont like the way we played sometimes I would never let this team down.They won more championship in 4 years than most of the franchise do in a lifetime.That doesnt mean I love losing or that I think I'm better than other fans.I just think that a fan should never start bitching.When you love something or someone you dont bitch at it,you say things with class.

But again that is just my opinion i'm not better than anyone in here,some people might think i'm stupid to think like that and that's just fine with me.As long as there is steelers football win or lose I will always be happy to watch em

Burghfan58
09-30-2009, 06:26 PM
[.When you love something or someone you dont bitch at it,you say things with class.

When you love something you want the best for it. Complaining about poor play and pointing out deficiancies in execution or coaching allows people to vent and the Monday morning QBs to add their 2 cents. They feel they may know what will help the team not hurt it. Constructive criticism is not being a bandwagon fan. It's being passionate about the team you love. 40 year Steeler fan.:tt03:

X-Terminator
09-30-2009, 11:37 PM
[.When you love something or someone you dont bitch at it,you say things with class.

When you love something you want the best for it. Complaining about poor play and pointing out deficiancies in execution or coaching allows people to vent and the Monday morning QBs to add their 2 cents. They feel they may know what will help the team not hurt it. Constructive criticism is not being a bandwagon fan. It's being passionate about the team you love. 40 year Steeler fan.:tt03:

If all it was was constructive criticism, nobody would say a word. If all it was was pointing out deficiencies in execution and coaching, nobody would say a word. It's the "throw in the towel after 3 weeks" mentality and the DEstructive criticism (so and so sucks, the season is over, it's 2006 all over again, the team isn't very good, etc.) that has caused all of the uproar.

Anyway, I'm about done discussing this. I've made my feelings known on the subject. I DO know that if the Steelers don't win on Sunday night, I probably will not be around much until the following Sunday, and you can take a guess as to why.

SoCalFan
09-30-2009, 11:44 PM
I can spot a bandwagon fan a mile away!My family thinks im crazy,back in the Brister era,I would watch each game to the last second,no matter the score,thats a true fan...

Shellshock
09-30-2009, 11:56 PM
*Sigh*

And with that I say:

Tony Robbins, is that you?

Steelers & I
10-01-2009, 12:42 AM
I've been a Steelers fan since the mid-70's. I lived with the Steelers through the lean decade of the 80's, the many disappointing season ending playoff losses in the 90's and on through to today. I'll have NO ONE classify me as a banwagon fan simply because I dislike a certain player or coach. I don't like where the Steelers are right now but $hit, I'm not giving up on this team. Hell it wouldn't suprise me if they won the remainder of their games. They're capable of it you know?

I can't think of any Steelers team over the past 35 years or so that didn't roster at least 1 player or coach that I wasn't fond of and I've always let my feelings of that particular player or coach be known. If anyone says that they've adored EVERY Steelers player or coach and they've never complained about any of them, they are flat out lying. This innocence crap that people are portraying has become sickening. Constructive and destructive criticism classifications??? WTF?, what a joke. Yeah sure, like we as fans are tearing a player or coach down with our criticisms.

In closing I want to list just a few former-Steelers players and coaches and you enlighten me on how you used "constructive criticism" in airing your dislike of them. I'll guarantee that 99.9% of you innocent-diehard fans ripped these people apart.

Mark Malone, Tim Worley, Joe Walton, Bubby Brister, Neil O'Donnell, Ray Sherman, Kordell Stewart, Tim Lewis, Kevin Gilbride, Kris Brown, Jermaine Stephens, Aaron Jones, Troy Edwards, Ricardo Colclough, just to name a few.

solardave
10-01-2009, 03:29 AM
I respectfully disagree. If your team goes winless and you point out their flaws and demand change, that just makes you not stupid.

There is a difference between calling out shortcomings and constant whining. I don't see anything wrong with talking about what we need to do or not do to win. The things I'm reading are not productive. Things like I hate this player or I hate this coach. These are the same people that if Hines Ward has a bad game we should cut him. Why? Because they hate him. It's just STUPID LOGIC!!! :banging:

X-Terminator
10-01-2009, 04:47 AM
I've been a Steelers fan since the mid-70's. I lived with the Steelers through the lean decade of the 80's, the many disappointing season ending playoff losses in the 90's and on through to today. I'll have NO ONE classify me as a banwagon fan simply because I dislike a certain player or coach. I don't like where the Steelers are right now but $hit, I'm not giving up on this team. Hell it wouldn't suprise me if they won the remainder of their games. They're capable of it you know?

I can't think of any Steelers team over the past 35 years or so that didn't roster at least 1 player or coach that I wasn't fond of and I've always let my feelings of that particular player or coach be known. If anyone says that they've adored EVERY Steelers player or coach and they've never complained about any of them, they are flat out lying. This innocence crap that people are portraying has become sickening. Constructive and destructive criticism classifications??? WTF?, what a joke. Yeah sure, like we as fans are tearing a player or coach down with our criticisms.

In closing I want to list just a few former-Steelers players and coaches and you enlighten me on how you used "constructive criticism" in airing your dislike of them. I'll guarantee that 99.9% of you innocent-diehard fans ripped these people apart.

Mark Malone, Tim Worley, Joe Walton, Bubby Brister, Neil O'Donnell, Ray Sherman, Kordell Stewart, Tim Lewis, Kevin Gilbride, Kris Brown, Jermaine Stephens, Aaron Jones, Troy Edwards, Ricardo Colclough, just to name a few.

Well, since I've basically been called out here on my "joke" classifications of criticism, I'll just explain them so that maybe you'll understand:

Constructive criticism - disliking a player or coach, but give factual and logical reasons why you dislike the player or coach. Don't just tell me he sucks, tell me WHY he sucks, and give me some legitimate and well-thought out reasons.

Destructive criticism - wanting a coach fired or a player benched, just because they have a bad game/week/season, with no facts or logic and usually based on pure emotion. A prime example is the completely retarded "Mendenhall Hate Thread." I mean, WTF??? You have come right out and called Timmons a bust, even though he is doing what you feel he should be doing and is starting in his 3rd season. So how can the guy be a bust when he's now a starter?

Anyway, you completely misinterpreted what I meant. It has NOTHING to do with tearing down coaches or players with what they say. It's all about how you go about your criticism.

And just to answer your backhanded question there, I'll give you my opinion:

Malone - worst Steelers QB I've ever seen, and has the numbers to prove it.
Worley - huge bust
Walton - how anyone can possibly complain about Arians after what we went though under "No 'O' Walton" is beyond my comprehension. Easily the worst Steelers OC I've ever seen
Brister - average at best. Took more heat than he deserved, IMO
O'Donnell - is hated only because of SB XXX. Wasn't that bad of a QB
Sherman - well, he was better than Walton
Stewart - should never have been a QB in the first place, but he did QB the team to 2 AFCCGs
Gilbride - still trying to figure out why he's on this list. He wasn't that bad of an OC
K. Brown - has actually turned into a pretty reliable kicker. Just couldn't figure out Heinz. Didn't bash him like others did.
Stephens - you mean he actually played? Almost as big a bust as Worley
A. Jones - Who?
Edwards - way overrated, wasn't nearly worth the high draft pick. Had to draft Plex the following season because he was so bad
Colclough - a 2nd round gamble that didn't pay off. Got cut by KC, which tells you all you need to know about him

Steelers & I
10-01-2009, 04:56 AM
Well, since I've basically been called out here on my "joke" classifications of criticism, I'll just explain them so that maybe you'll understand:

Actually X-, I wasn't calling you out at all. I've never seen your use of the "destructive criticism" remark. I've seen many others use it so I wasn't speaking of you at all. I'm sorry that you had to take that "backhand" for no reason. I hope that you're alright. :chuckle:

Steelers & I
10-01-2009, 05:03 AM
Destructive criticism - wanting a coach fired or a player benched, just because they have a bad game/week/season, with no facts or logic and usually based on pure emotion. A prime example is the completely retarded "Mendenhall Hate Thread." I mean, WTF??? You have come right out and called Timmons a bust, even though he is doing what you feel he should be doing and is starting in his 3rd season. So how can the guy be a bust when he's now a starter?

No Sir, I felt that Timmons as a 1st round draft choice should have been starting by his 2nd season and IF he wasn't starting by his 3rd then I would consider him a bust. I also mentioned that I believe that he's going to be injury prone and frankly, I don't feel that he's intelligent enough to play at this level. And one more thing, where has he been hiding that "BEAST SIDE" of himself? I'm still not impressed with him.

memphissteelergirl
10-01-2009, 09:18 AM
I fail to see what's so constructive about complaining on an internet forum. It's not like Mike Tomlin is lurking in hopes of picking up advice. :coffee:

OK, fine, Mr. Pedantic...let's put it this way:

Coming on forums like this to commiserate with fellow fans about what is obviously a lack of consistent play on your team does not make you a bandwagoner.

Better?

T.Richardson
10-02-2009, 02:29 AM

Constructive criticism - disliking a player or coach, but give factual and logical reasons why you dislike the player or coach. Don't just tell me he sucks, tell me WHY he sucks, and give me some legitimate and well-thought out reasons.

Anyway, you completely misinterpreted what I meant. It has NOTHING to do with tearing down coaches or players with what they say. It's all about how you go about your criticism.

And just to answer your backhanded question there, I'll give you my opinion:

Malone - worst Steelers QB I've ever seen, and has the numbers to prove it.
Worley - huge bust
Walton - how anyone can possibly complain about Arians after what we went though under "No 'O' Walton" is beyond my comprehension. Easily the worst Steelers OC I've ever seen
Brister - average at best. Took more heat than he deserved, IMO
O'Donnell - is hated only because of SB XXX. Wasn't that bad of a QB
Sherman - well, he was better than Walton
Stewart - should never have been a QB in the first place, but he did QB the team to 2 AFCCGs
Gilbride - still trying to figure out why he's on this list. He wasn't that bad of an OC
K. Brown - has actually turned into a pretty reliable kicker. Just couldn't figure out Heinz. Didn't bash him like others did.
Stephens - you mean he actually played? Almost as big a bust as Worley
A. Jones - Who?
Edwards - way overrated, wasn't nearly worth the high draft pick. Had to draft Plex the following season because he was so bad
Colclough - a 2nd round gamble that didn't pay off. Got cut by KC, which tells you all you need to know about him
where is Kendrell Bell on that list?

What about last year when the "true fans" who consistantly bashed Ben, and wanted Leftwich to start, and they did this weekly!

X-Terminator
10-02-2009, 05:17 AM
No Sir, I felt that Timmons as a 1st round draft choice should have been starting by his 2nd season and IF he wasn't starting by his 3rd then I would consider him a bust. I also mentioned that I believe that he's going to be injury prone and frankly, I don't feel that he's intelligent enough to play at this level. And one more thing, where has he been hiding that "BEAST SIDE" of himself? I'm still not impressed with him.

OK. Thanks for the clarification. And for the record, I was not one of the people who were calling him a "beast" (I know you weren't talking about me specifically, but I wanted to put it out there), but I DO think the kid has the talent to be a very good player. I'm not one to just give up on pure athletes like him, especially when they are so young - he's only 23 years old. As far as the intelligence thing goes, I'm not sure what you're looking for there. No, he's not a cerebral player like Farrior and he probably never will be. But I don't think that will hurt his ability to excel at this level. Basically, I believe in the kid and will give him every chance to prove himself this season before I pass final judgment on what to expect from him moving forward.

Steelers & I
10-02-2009, 05:38 AM
OK. Thanks for the clarification. And for the record, I was not one of the people who were calling him a "beast" (I know you weren't talking about me specifically, but I wanted to put it out there), but I DO think the kid has the talent to be a very good player. I'm not one to just give up on pure athletes like him, especially when they are so young - he's only 23 years old. As far as the intelligence thing goes, I'm not sure what you're looking for there. No, he's not a cerebral player like Farrior and he probably never will be. But I don't think that will hurt his ability to excel at this level. Basically, I believe in the kid and will give him every chance to prove himself this season before I pass final judgment on what to expect from him moving forward.

I hope that you're right X, really, I do.

memphissteelergirl
10-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Hey, don't shoot the messenger! :hug::laughing:

I'm certainly not suggesting that everybody who vents is a "bandwagoneer" by any stretch. However, the strident tone of some of these complaints suggests rather strongly that some of these folks haven't seen the adversity that Pittsburghers have overcome, and the nature of some of these complaints tells me that some of these folks are oblivious to what Steeler games have been like over the last 30 years.

LOL...OK, I see what you're saying

:hug:...right back at ya!

stb_steeler
10-02-2009, 09:26 PM

500lbs....Fridge Perry BIG......:rofl:

billybob
10-02-2009, 10:50 PM
How you can compare the meaning of a true fan is not that hard to figure out . They lose , your mad , they win your happy . they lose your mad , they win your happy .
you come back time after time after time , after time . And you're either mad or happy about one thing ............The Steelers !

markymarc
10-03-2009, 01:11 PM
How you can compare the meaning of a true fan is not that hard to figure out . They lose , your mad , they win your happy . they lose your mad , they win your happy .
you come back time after time after time , after time . And you're either mad or happy about one thing ............The Steelers !

That about sums it up for me too!