View Full Version : Bengals celebrate big victory with song

mesaSteeler
09-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Bengals celebrate big victory with song
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_645339.html#
By Mark Kaboly
DAILY NEWS SPORTS EDITOR
Monday, September 28, 2009

Cincinnati wide receiver Chad Ochocinco wasn't going to let this one slide without letting his feelings be known to the world.

Following Cincinnati's improbable, 23-20, come-from-behind victory Sunday over the Steelers at Paul Brown Stadium in which the Bengals scored 14 points in the final nine minutes, Ochocinco expressed what was on his mind and in his heart through something other than his mouth the late R&B artist Sam Cooke.

The Bengals' vocal wide receiver made sure he had the locker room's sound system all queued up and the repeat button engaged to Cooke's 1964 hit single "A Change is Gonna Come." The song blared throughout the room after the Bengals upset their biggest rival.

"I am a Sam Cooke man," Ochocinco said, with a smug smile.

For those not familiar with Cooke's song, the main verse states: "It's been a long, long time coming. But I know a change gonna come, oh yes, it will."

Guard Bobbie Williams, all 6-foot-4, 345-pounds of him, was belting out the lyrics.

"Oh yeah, it's been a long time coming," Williams sang.

That long time finally arrived yesterday for the Bengals.

Cincinnati beat its rival on its home turf after eight consecutive losses since the opening of Paul Brown Stadium at the turn of the century.

"I guess the song fits in right with the day," said cornerback Johnathan Joseph, who returned an interception 30 yards for a touchdown only 95 seconds into the second half to give the Bengals their first touchdown.

The Steelers always have been a thorn in the Bengals' side.

Since 2000, the two teams have played 20 times, and the Bengals have come away with only four victories. One of the most heartbreaking defeats came in the 2005 AFC wild-card game, when Cincinnati self-destructed after losing quarterback Carson Palmer to a knee injury.

It appeared to be heading down that familiar road again yesterday after Cincinnati didn't manage positive yards until a few minutes into the second quarter.

"Even when chaos was among us, we remained poised, and we kept our confidence," Williams said.

According to Ochocinco, times of old in Cincinnati are just that times of old.

"Down, 13-0, the Bengals of old would've laid down, and we would've been rattled," Ochocinco said. "We stuck together as a team and made some plays."

The biggest was Palmer's touchdown pass to Andre Caldwell with 14 seconds left to give the Bengals the win.

"We knew we were going to win it," Caldwell said. "New players, new staff and a new mindset around here."

And new results. The Bengals are 2-1 they would have been 3-0 if not for a fluke play against Denver in the opener and sit alone in second place behind undefeated Baltimore in the AFC North.

"Not once all week did the guys talk about the past because, truthfully, they don't even remember that," Williams said. "We went into this game with a clean slate, and we knew we could do it."

Nobody outside the Bengals' locker room would've imagined coming back like they did against the Steelers.

"It is easy to lie down," receiver Laveranues Coles said. "But this team has a lot of resiliency."

It was only Palmer's third victory in 10 tries over the Steelers since coming into the league in 2003.

"It was a great moment for our fans," Palmer said. "It was a great moment, a great play and a great game for our fans."

And it was a long time coming, especially in Cincinnati.

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.

tony hipchest
09-27-2009, 11:10 PM
this post belongs in the bengals forum.

i seriously hope the mods shitcan this one.

fail.

(just because it finds its way into a pgh fishwrap or onto a steelers blog, doesnt mean it needs to slapped up on the SF steelers discussion page.)

jjpro11
09-27-2009, 11:14 PM
i am not reading this garbage.

RavensD
09-27-2009, 11:16 PM
It's hilarious....these assclowns are now over on our (Ravens) forum talking shit; blabbering about how they're going to take the division, yada yada yada.

At first, I was glad that Pittsburgh lost today, at least we have a little breathing room in case we lose to New England next weekend.

But now there are a slew of profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery Bungholes fans running around pretending like they have a shot at knocking one of us out of the playoff picture.

Well...whatever....let them have their fun. By my calculations, they only have 3 or 4 more chances to celebrate for the remainder of the year.

RavensD
09-27-2009, 11:18 PM
WTF? I can say shit but not profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery?

Edman
09-27-2009, 11:22 PM
So what? The Bengals won. They have every right to celebrate.

The Steelers deserve to be mocked. I hope they're mocked and pissed on for the rest of the week. Oh is the media going to enjoy this.

tony hipchest
09-27-2009, 11:31 PM
*flush*

stb_steeler
09-27-2009, 11:43 PM
It's hilarious....these assclowns are now over on our (Ravens) forum talking shit; blabbering about how they're going to take the division, yada yada yada.

At first, I was glad that Pittsburgh lost today, at least we have a little breathing room in case we lose to New England next weekend.

But now there are a slew of profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery Bungholes fans running around pretending like they have a shot at knocking one of us out of the playoff picture.

Well...whatever....let them have their fun. By my calculations, they only have 3 or 4 more chances to celebrate for the remainder of the year.

Let em sing for now, after all how many times do they get chances to talk smack....We'll see whos singing in the end...

SteelC7
09-28-2009, 12:14 AM
haha wen we win, we dont say anything, its expected, wen they win, its a HUGE deal

stlrtruck
09-28-2009, 07:33 AM
Great we gave "HOPE" to the red headed step children of our division!

rbryan
09-28-2009, 09:01 AM
The Bunglers just won the SB in week 3.....big shout out to Ocho Dinko.......they couldn't have done it without him

revefsreleets
09-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Actually, CJ had an outstanding game against compared to normal. He had 5 catches for 54 yards and zero TD's. He certainly deserves to talk a lot of smack after that stellar all-star game changing performance...

SteelTalons
09-28-2009, 10:21 AM
WTF? I can say shit but not profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery?

I've never understood that one ether. :noidea:

TheWarDen86
09-28-2009, 05:51 PM
He can sing all the songs he wants. He STILL doesn't get to check off Ike Taylor on his little list as he STILL hasn't scored a TD on us in what....over four years???

One game dipshit and you still have to come to our house.

Gnutella
09-28-2009, 11:16 PM
"It's been a long, long time coming. But I know a change gonna come, oh yes, it will."

On November 15, these will be the new lyrics:

It's been a long time coming
And the table's turned around
'Cause one of us is going
Yeah, one of us is going down

I'm not runnin'
It's a little different now
'Cause one of us is going
One of us is GOING DOWN!

Can't wait to kill 'em at home.

stillers4me
09-29-2009, 05:16 AM
My husband actually had a Bungalfan get in his face at a convenience store and say, "If you thought yesterday was bad, wait until we come to Pittsburgh and woop your ass again."

Just call Cinci, "lala-land" because they have lost grip with reality.

steelerdave1969
09-29-2009, 12:20 PM
this post belongs in the bengals forum.

i seriously hope the mods shitcan this one.

fail.

(just because it finds its way into a pgh fishwrap or onto a steelers blog, doesnt mean it needs to slapped up on the SF steelers discussion page.)

Now Tony, is there a problem with me posting something now that kind of gets my blood boiling just a little?
Dont know what your problem is, but if any mod wants to let me know not to post these or this kind then I wont do it no more, but until then I will post these ..:noidea:

TheWarDen86
09-29-2009, 07:15 PM
I was actually happy on Cincy's behalf. Like "it's about time, even if they did get shanked for their puddin' cup on paper". I was starting to feel bad for 'em. :noidea:
But I'm over that now. :tt02:

Wha, wha, WHAAAAAAAT???? :doh:

FAIL.

Steelstralia
09-29-2009, 08:35 PM
i hope this win distracts the rest of their performance. damn bengals!

devilsdancefloor
09-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Let'em sing! Cause when we are going to the playoffs and they yet again are on the ourside looking they'll look back and think wow the season wasnt over in week 3 like we thought

Raynestorm
10-21-2009, 08:03 AM
You have to understand that to them, Steelers week is the Super Bowl. They measure themselves by how they play us...the rest of the league don't matter. For us, beating them is expected so we don't think about it.

It didn't occur to them that all they did was hold serve...they beat us in Cincy. That's what they're suppose to do - but they celebrate because they haven't done in for a few years.

They're going to come crashing back down to earth soon.