PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Next Opponent: Rivers rolls with scramble for touchdown

mesaSteeler
09-28-2009, 07:58 AM
Steelers' Next Opponent: Rivers rolls with scramble for touchdown
Quarterback's rare run leads to win
Monday, September 28, 2009
By Bernie Wilson, The Associated Press
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09271/1001377-66.stm

SAN DIEGO -- After putting his right arm to good use, Philip Rivers proved he has some wheels, too.

Picking up on something he'd seen while watching film during the week, Rivers scored on a 5-yard scramble late in the third quarter to highlight a 23-13 victory against the winless Miami Dolphins, who lost quarterback Chad Pennington to a shoulder injury early in the second half.

It was just the second rushing touchdown in Rivers' career.

"I'm not used to scoring on the run," said Rivers, who threw for 303 yards a week after setting his career high with 436 yards in a loss against the Ravens. He didn't throw a touchdown pass or an interception.

In the shotgun on third-and-goal, Rivers couldn't find a receiver and the pocket collapsed, but a hole opened up the middle so he sprinted into the end zone for a 10-6 lead.

Rivers said the team video staff put together clips of the Dolphins' defense inside the 20-yard line. "There were two or three that were called quarterback draws and a couple of others that happened just like that. I had that in the back of my mind all week."

Rivers talked to coach Norv Turner about it. "He said, 'If that thing opens up, I'm going to take off and run,' " Turner said. "I said, 'I hope it's on the 3 more than the 8.' "

Rivers' touchdown run capped a 75-yard, five-play drive that also included his 47-yard pass to Malcom Floyd and a razzle-dazzle play where Darren Sproles took a handoff and ran right before throwing a backward pass to Rivers, who hit tight end Antonio Gates for 19 yards.

Safety Eric Weddle intercepted Miami backup quarterback Chad Henne and returned it 31 yards for a score with six minutes to play.

The Chargers (2-1) are above .500 in the regular season for the first time since the end of 2007. The Dolphins are 0-3 for the third time in six seasons.

The Dolphins ran the wildcat seven times for 42 yards, including three times on their first drive -- which nonetheless resulted in no points.

Miami's only touchdown was a 14-yard run by Ricky Williams with 2:51 left.

"As I told them in the locker room, you can't put your lip out too long," Miami coach Tony Sparano said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09271/1001377-66.stm#ixzz0SOxxwHSy

stlrtruck
09-28-2009, 08:52 AM
Well, time to rise up as a team!

From this pit of hell they seem to be in, from the torment they have put themselves (and fans for that matter) through. Time to rise up and play football the way they know how - for 60 minutes, and as a fan, I can only hope that they make Rivers and company pay for the debacle that has been the last two weeks.