PDA

View Full Version : Throwback uniforms

steelrush
09-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Yesterday, both Tennessee and NYJets played in throwback uniforms.

I got surprised seeing the Titans featuring the old Oilers colours. Why?

Because, in my view, it's all wrong. Why?

Because once a team changes its name, the old team should be laid to rest. Period.

It's OK to say:
"...when they were the Baltimore Colts, the Indianapolis Colts won their first game" - for a totally random example. It's the same team. Only its location changed.

But when you move from Houston/Texas to Memphis/Tennessee and you get tired of the name "Oilers" changing it in "Titans", then -in my view- you gave up everything achieved as "Oilers"! And don't tell me you've done it (i.e. the name change) to mark your new enviroment! Please. 'Cose then you could've done it like the Colts: Tennessee Oilers (yeah, come now and tell me the bull that: "I couldn't call myself an Oiler here, because Tennessee, unlike Texas, doesn't have oil.")

It's just wrong in my book.

Your thoughts?

Crow-Magnon
09-28-2009, 07:43 AM

Because once a team changes its name, the old team should be laid to rest. Period.

It's OK to say:
"...when they were the Baltimore Colts, the Indianapolis Colts won their first game" - for a totally random example. It's the same team. Only its location changed.

But when you move from Houston/Texas to Memphis/Tennessee and you get tired of the name "Oilers" changing it in "Titans", then -in my view- you gave up everything achieved as "Oilers"! And don't tell me you've done it (i.e. the name change) to mark your new enviroment! Please. 'Cose then you could've done it like the Colts: Tennessee Oilers (yeah, come now and tell me the bull that: "I couldn't call myself an Oiler here, because Tennessee, unlike Texas, doesn't have oil.")

Your thoughts?

I agree. I also think the NFL should make a rule that when you relocate a franchise, you HAVE to come up with a new team name and unis and leave the unis and history behind.

Some franchise names are stupid. New Orleans Jazz? Makes sense. How many trumpeters and tenor sax players are wailing in Utah? How many lakes are there in LA? Ever see a bighorn sheep in Missouri?

steelrush
09-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Well I wouldn't go for a rule-change. And if you re-locate your team, it's ok.
But then you have two choices:
1. Keep the name or
2. Change the name.

But be aware that once changed, you've got yourself a diffrent team on paper. In spite of having the absolute same players.

And I ask every fellow Steeler:
Honestly, if the Rooneys switch the Steelers in, say Salt Lake City, and the team will be called Salt Lake City/Utah Steelers (Jeezz...how awful it sounds), will you then be still proud of the six Lombardies won?
YES!

But what if they'd become the Salt Lake City/Utah Diggers?
Then, at least, I would be glad at Pittsburgh city's pride to host six Lombardies. 'Cose the new Diggers would not have gotten squat!

Rek
09-28-2009, 04:30 PM
I just got to say that the NY Jets throwbacks are freakin' badass. I love the colors.

And Mark Sanchez looks so dreamy.....sigh......

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d812f1fc5_gallery_600.jpg

beSteelmyheart
09-28-2009, 05:37 PM
I agree also-it just seems too weird, difficult for me to relate one to the other. Could you imagine the Ravens wearing Browns uniforms????:toofunny: Nobody mentioned the ugliness of the Seahawks throwbacks...
If the Steelers were ever sold off to another city I don't think I would follow them much after that, it wouldn't be the same for me at all. Alot of my love for the team has to do with my love of the area where I grew up. If that connection was broken my loyalty would lose most of it's meaning. Hard to explain.

SteelersMongol
09-28-2009, 07:59 PM
I agree. I also think the NFL should make a rule that when you relocate a franchise, you HAVE to come up with a new team name and unis and leave the unis and history behind.

Some franchise names are stupid. New Orleans Jazz? Makes sense. How many trumpeters and tenor sax players are wailing in Utah? How many lakes are there in LA? Ever see a bighorn sheep in Missouri?

:rofl:

jcdavey08
09-28-2009, 08:06 PM

It's OK to say:

Your thoughts?
how were you surprised by seeing the old oilers unis when they already wore them in the hall of fame game?

Godfather
09-28-2009, 09:00 PM

It's OK to say:

Your thoughts?

I agree. It's a travesty that the Houston Oilers are gone. The Texans should have that name. And Baltimore Colts sounds a lot better.

Interestingly the Colts themselves were really the Dallas Texans who were really the Boston Yanks/New York Yankees/Brooklyn Tigers. But when they moved to Baltimore they adopted the Baltimore Colts name from a previous team and they don't claim any history before 1953.

KeiselPower99
09-29-2009, 12:03 AM
I agree also-it just seems too weird, difficult for me to relate one to the other. Could you imagine the Ravens wearing Browns uniforms????:toofunny: Nobody mentioned the ugliness of the Seahawks throwbacks...
If the Steelers were ever sold off to another city I don't think I would follow them much after that, it wouldn't be the same for me at all. Alot of my love for the team has to do with my love of the area where I grew up. If that connection was broken my loyalty would lose most of it's meaning. Hard to explain.

Those ugly things wasnt throwbacks but a 3rd jersey. For those who didnt see em.....http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090927/capt.e20411189234463d950e0bc99f7a3f48.bears_seahaw ks_football_sea123.jpg

Borski
09-29-2009, 12:10 AM
the Seahawks alternate uni looks like a scrimmage uniform.

I like the Jets throwback alot more then their current uni, it would be cool for them to switch back to thous colors full time.

KeiselPower99
09-29-2009, 12:45 AM
I like the Jets jerseys alot. I picked up one last year of Pennington after he was cut.

4xSBChamps
09-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Nobody mentioned the ugliness of the Seahawks throwbacks...

..... that's because I've been trying to get the spot outta the carpet, where I hurled Sunday afternoon when I saw those things:
a whole-new deminsion in 'fugly'.....

real maggot-gaggers.....

devilsdancefloor
09-29-2009, 11:09 PM
the odd thing is the jets throw backs are "NY titan" uniforms and yet the titans where wearing oilers uniforms :flap:

jjpro11
09-30-2009, 09:39 AM
speaking of throwback uniforms, which game(s) are we wearing ours?

SteelerFan091472
09-30-2009, 10:30 PM
speaking of throwback uniforms, which game(s) are we wearing ours?

According to this link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09268/1000772-367.stm, the Steelers will their throwbacks this Sunday and December 27 against Baltimore.

Steel-Bryan
10-02-2009, 10:06 PM
I love our Alt uniforms, we should make them or primary unis !