PDA

View Full Version : Up next....Philip Rivers and San Diego

stlrtruck
09-28-2009, 08:09 AM
So the chargers coming off a win against the dolphins and the prior week coming off a physical game against the ravens.

They definitely have some offensive weapons to test our defense. Sproles, Rivers, Gates, Vincent, etc. Rivers can throw, he can scamper, and he's been known to have some good games during the regular season.

We're coming off back to back losses for the first time in a few years. Things happen and players, coaches, and fans alike need to have a short memory or it's going to be a very long season.

I honestly don't believe that the Steelers have played a complete game yet in the 2009 season. That's Tomlin's job to put that together with his coaching staff. It's the players job on Gameday to make it happen! It's our job to be there and let them know we love 'em and we're behind him.

Today the Steelers have a choice, as do we as fans! Are we going to focus on this stinging loss to the bungals or are we going to move forward?

I choose not to look at the glass as half empty but instead we're filling it up! No, I'm not blind to some of the glaring weaknesses that have been changing from quarter to quarter the last three weeks. But I'd rather stay positive, know it's a long season, and the Steelers - until they are no longer in the playoffs - are defending Super Bowl Champs. I DO BELIEVE that they will fix this and when the dust settles on the regular season - WE WILL BE A FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH!

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor - WHO'S WITH ME!!!

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO :tt02:

steelpride12
09-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Thank you! Someone who is not gonna sit here and cry and whine, but look into the next game and prepare, yes my friend IM READY!

The_WARDen
09-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Ironically, SD was the opponent is week 4 from 2006 also.

gameface75
09-28-2009, 09:06 AM
if the coaches stick to the plays that are effective ,i.e passing the ball to who ever is open ,and throwing the long ball we can right this ship .

gameface75
09-28-2009, 09:11 AM
coach Tomlin has to be willing to override bad decisions by bruce Arians .i dont know if its just me ,but evertime we make a big play for good yardage ,the next play is so predictable,parker to the minus 3 yards no hole.

XxKnightxX
09-28-2009, 09:15 AM
I have never been as bitter as yesterday, but whatever Im over it I always say that it could be worse. We need to close games like Mariano Rivera and not blow them like Brad Lidge, you do not want to be Brad Lidge lol. Anyway this should be a fun matchup, Rivers struggles in our Stadium and one thing for certain is that I had the pleasure of being there two times seeing him lose to us in Heinz Field, lets make it a third time.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor - WHO'S WITH ME!!!
Um, Actually it was the Japanese who bombed us man, not the Germans but hey I see where youre going with this. HERE WE GOT STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!:tt03::tt03::tt03:

steelax04
09-28-2009, 09:16 AM
coach Tomlin has to be willing to override bad decisions by bruce Arians .i dont know if its just me ,but evertime we make a big play for good yardage ,the next play is so predictable,parker to the minus 3 yards no hole.

Somehow this thread got hijacked into a subliminal "Arians sucks" thread... :doh:

I call shenanigans!

SteelerFanInStl
09-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Yesterday is done. Let's forget about the past and focus on the next game.

The Chargers have a very good passing game. Rivers, Jackson and Gates are dangerous as well as Sproles out of the backfield. We might catch a break with LT and Merrimen being injured. We'll see if they play or not. No matter what, the Steelers pass defense has to improve and that starts with getting more pressure on the QB.

SteelerFanInStl
09-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Um, Actually it was the Japanese who bombed us man, not the Germans but hey I see where youre going with this. HERE WE GOT STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!:tt03::tt03::tt03:

:laughing: If I'm remembering correctly, I believe that's a quote from Animal House.

stlrtruck
09-28-2009, 09:51 AM
:laughing: If I'm remembering correctly, I believe that's a quote from Animal House.

You are correct my movie trivia friend! :drink: :thumbsup: :chuckle:

Fire Haley
09-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Chargers fans already have up a 15 page thread on how they'll beat the Steelers.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Steelers lost to Bungles

Next week isnt looking too bad. An overtime win at home against the 0-3 titans, and two straight losses to teams that missed the playoffs last year.

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=71562

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Chargers fans already have up a 15 page thread on how they'll beat the Steelers.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Steelers lost to Bungles

Next week isnt looking too bad. An overtime win at home against the 0-3 titans, and two straight losses to teams that missed the playoffs last year.

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=71562

Thing is, that there is nothing incorrect about that post. Steelers have to be an underdog going into this one given the fact they are not playing good defense, making mistakes and cant run the football.

Fire Haley
09-28-2009, 02:24 PM
It's a Sunday night game - in Pittsburgh.

(With possibly our season on the line.)

Win that and the next two games are against Detroit and Cleveland and all is right with the world.

Rek
09-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Sproles scares me more than Rivers/LT/Gates/Jackson combined. He has the hands of Hines with the speed of Wallace & Logan and a nose for the goal-line like Holmes.

I really hope the D can bottle him up.

solardave
09-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Um, Actually it was the Japanese who bombed us man, not the Germans but hey I see where youre going with this. HERE WE GOT STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!:tt03::tt03::tt03:[/QUOTE]

I think it was the CHARGERS THAT BOMBED PEARL HARBOR. LET RIP EM A NEW ONE!!!!

stlrtruck
09-28-2009, 03:15 PM

I think it was the CHARGERS THAT BOMBED PEARL HARBOR. LET RIP EM A NEW ONE!!!![/QUOTE]

Um, does anyone watch the classics anymore. :doh:

The quote, "Germans bomb Pearl Harbor" is from the movie "Animal House".

For those of you who haven't seen it, your homework is to watch it before Sunday night's game or you will not be allowed to watch the game (LOL)

bblocker14
09-28-2009, 03:28 PM
It's a sad day when Animal House is an "old Classic from the 70's, starring that guy who did the Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger skit".

Put some heat on Rivers and he'll over-compensate and force the ball where it shouldn't go. Abandon any Cover-2 schemes and let it fly, please!!

BozMan
09-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Need a big game from our D's front seven. Pressure on Rivers + containing Sproles.

DoubleSh0t
09-28-2009, 03:45 PM
This is going to be a tough game, but look to offense to gel together. Did anyone notice how well the offense starting coming together on the last TD drive? I don't know if I read too much into it, but just the way Ben, Hines and Santonio looked was very promising. They finally had "swagger" on that last drive.

35-24, Steelers. I think the defense will still be hurting without Troy, but the offense will carry us over the top.

jcdavey08
09-28-2009, 08:14 PM
it's all about pass rush for pitt when they play my boy rivers, if you don't get pressure, he's going to kill you

and if sd can't stop the run and wrap up, pitt is going to kill us

simple as that really

Edman
09-28-2009, 08:32 PM
San Diego has every right to be confident, hell even guarantee a win. I wouldn't be surprised if they're favored, or even have all the pundits pick them.

What in general has stuck out about the Steelers aside from finding ways to lose or looking flat out unimpressive? Nothing really. Even if the Steelers jump on San Diego early, as we've seen, we even lose those kinds of contests too as we've already witnessed twice.

I'm not predicting anything in this game.

We've already blown two games to two crappy teams. We'll see what happens when we finally play a good team.

steelerzfannforever
09-28-2009, 08:45 PM
We are the only 6th seed to ever win the title with 4 road wins. If any team in the NFL can turn it around its the Pittsburgh Steelers. Yes, we are struggling and we need to make changes, but I will not give up, nor will I degrade my team. We are the damn superbowl champs and I for one will be cheering my ass off for at least 13 more games!!

TackleMeBen
09-28-2009, 08:53 PM
is there anyway we can give troy some of ben's mutant serum and get him back on defense. since he has went out, the defense looks lost.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-28-2009, 09:21 PM
The Chargers can be beat. Hell, the Raiders almost beat them!

sdchargeher
09-29-2009, 09:04 AM
its not who you play its when you play them. Right now is a great time for the chargers to be playin the steelers.

ARKIESTEEL
09-29-2009, 09:09 AM
its not who you play its when you play them. Right now is a great time for the chargers to be playin the steelers.

Yeah I would want to play the Steelers after they lost two straight :laughing::rofl::chuckle:

SteelerFanInStl
09-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Yeah I would want to play the Steelers after they lost two straight :laughing::rofl::chuckle:

and in Pittsburgh :tt02:

Rek
09-29-2009, 12:34 PM

Anyone know the weather for the game? I know it's early and all still but SD is used to warm and sun, I hope it's cold as hell and rainy.

Fire Haley
09-29-2009, 12:52 PM
I hope it's cold as hell and rainy.

That's the worst thing could happen - we are a finesse passing team now. We need a fast track.

Steel_Bus_24
09-29-2009, 01:59 PM
if the same team that played the first 3 weeks shows up we will be smoked by at least 10 points, probably 17

Silverback and Woodley have to step up their game in this one and get after Rivers.....otherwise Jackson,Floyd, and Gates are going to eat up Carter

X-Terminator
09-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Anyone know the weather for the game? I know it's early and all still but SD is used to warm and sun, I hope it's cold as hell and rainy.

Looks like mostly cloudy, temps around 60 at kickoff.

MathWiz
09-29-2009, 02:34 PM
Hello Everyone,

Have not been here in a while, I am one of the Honorable Chargers fans, it is going to be a great game on Sunday, heaven knows you guys are hungry and in a must win situation. Our situation is not as bad, we have the Steelers this week, then the bye week and then play all 3 of our divisional opponents. The Broncos have lucked into 3-0, the Chiefs look as bad as the Lions of last year, and JaMarcus Russell continues to not impress.

I made many good friends here last year and happily cheered the Steelers in the Super Bowl, I was so sad to see Troy get hurt, he is indeed one of the great players in the NFL.

Who would have thought that the Lions would have a better record than the Titans after 3 weeks.

Here is to a great game without injuries on either side, in a beautiful stadium (wish we could get a new one) with great football fans.

Charles

SteelerFanInStl
09-29-2009, 03:12 PM
That's the worst thing could happen - we are a finesse passing team now. We need a fast track.

:iagree: We had problems in week 2 in Chicago in the rain. I'd rather see clear weather.

stlrtruck
09-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Hello Everyone,

Have not been here in a while, I am one of the Honorable Chargers fans, it is going to be a great game on Sunday, heaven knows you guys are hungry and in a must win situation. Our situation is not as bad, we have the Steelers this week, then the bye week and then play all 3 of our divisional opponents. The Broncos have lucked into 3-0, the Chiefs look as bad as the Lions of last year, and JaMarcus Russell continues to not impress.

I made many good friends here last year and happily cheered the Steelers in the Super Bowl, I was so sad to see Troy get hurt, he is indeed one of the great players in the NFL.

Who would have thought that the Lions would have a better record than the Titans after 3 weeks.

Here is to a great game without injuries on either side, in a beautiful stadium (wish we could get a new one) with great football fans.

Charles

WB Charles. Nice to see you again. Here's to a safe game, no injuries :drink: and a STEELERS victory! :thumbsup: (yeah I know you won't agree to the last one) :chuckle:

SuperSteelers
09-29-2009, 05:08 PM

And in a nationally televised game!

:tt02:

nickelbolt
09-29-2009, 10:28 PM
I haven't been back here since I congratulated you all on your playoff victory against us last year.

This year, my Chargers are reeling from injuries. Starting center: OUT and probably out for the season. Starting Left Guard: OUT (maybe returning vs Steelers). Jamal "The Wall" Williams OUT for the season. Tomlinson OUT. Merriman OUT.

Our defense has 3 sacks in 3 games and is giving up over 140 yards rushing per game. So if you've got a sick (as in not good) running game, we've got the cure for what ails you.

As was mentioned before, this is not a "must win" for us though. And that worries me too. Because our players have a tendency to believe they will have plenty of time to win down the road. We don't have a bad ass for a HC like you guys do... who works with a sense of urgency all the time. We've got Norv. :chuckle:

I'd say, there is not much reason to think this team is going to go into Heinz on Sunday night and beat the Steelers.

There is one reason though. This offense of ours gets yards in CHUNKS. Big CHUNKS through the air. Rivers may not be stellar in Steeler-land, but the kid is absolutely commited to his receivers... and they have been selling out for him.

The one thing I know is that this is our best chance of beating the Steelers this year. Mainly because Troy is not back there to help. It's not likely, I know. But if it's gonna happen... it's gonna be this weekend. (Steelers tend to be a little too much for us in December/January)

I really hope both teams come out of this with no additional injuries. I know we can't afford to lose anyone else.

revefsreleets
09-30-2009, 10:03 AM
I posted this elsewhere, but here it is again.

I just don't see how the Chargers can beat the Steelers. We ARE in a "must-win" mode, and the Chargers ain't the team to beat us now. W/o LT, that is an extremely one-dimensional offense, and our defense should pin it's ears back and disrupt the passing game at all costs.

The key is their defense. They are ranked middle-of-the-pack down in most categories, and they arrived there by playing the Raiders, Phins and Rats, hardly offensive powerhouses (sorry, Rats O is vastly overrated). We should run and pass at will against the Bolts, and I think we SHOULD win by 2 TD's. However, we should have beaten the Bears by 7 points and the Bengals by 21, so who really knows?

Steel_Bus_24
09-30-2009, 10:29 AM
I

I just don't see how the Chargers can beat the Steelers.

I couldn't see how we were going to lose at the Start of the 4th last game, but we did

right now we are looking for ways to lose, a weakened Chargers team is still better then the Bears and Bengals

I hope your right though and the Steelers have transformed into that mythical mode.......... but WP getting turf toe and Ben going off to host WWE keeps me concerned

SoCalFan
09-30-2009, 10:33 AM
I kinda wish the game was in S.D.Its a 2 hour drive for me!The key to winning this is the offensive play calling.If we start that Cowher ball,run the clock out 4th quarter BS again,Rivers,just like Palmer will beat us.Ben will need a big game.Go Steelers!!!

nickelbolt
09-30-2009, 01:28 PM
I posted this elsewhere, but here it is again.

I just don't see how the Chargers can beat the Steelers. We ARE in a "must-win" mode, and the Chargers ain't the team to beat us now. W/o LT, that is an extremely one-dimensional offense, and our defense should pin it's ears back and disrupt the passing game at all costs.

The key is their defense. They are ranked middle-of-the-pack down in most categories, and they arrived there by playing the Raiders, Phins and Rats, hardly offensive powerhouses (sorry, Rats O is vastly overrated). We should run and pass at will against the Bolts, and I think we SHOULD win by 2 TD's. However, we should have beaten the Bears by 7 points and the Bengals by 21, so who really knows?

Actually... the Ravens O is probably accurately ranked at this point. It's a Cam Cameron offense with enough weapons to produce 27pts per game for the entire season. If anything, their defense is going to be their achilles heel this year.

But yeah... the Chargers have not played any juggernauts yet. But neither have the Steelers.

Also, even with LT... this offense is still going to use the pass to set up the run. It's Rivers' team now. LT hasn't been "LT" in nearly two years.

revefsreleets
09-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Haven't you read the press clippings? The Bengals are back! (sarcasm).

The Bears are going to be good this year...sorry, I think they are as good or better than the Ravens.

As for the Rats, they have one WR, and he's old and wanted to retire. Their QB is an overrated game manager. Their defense is old and slow. You almost beat them with a depleted offense. I don't sweat SD...

jcdavey08
09-30-2009, 03:37 PM

The Bears are going to be good this year...sorry, I think they are as good or better than the Ravens.

As for the Rats, they have one WR, and he's old and wanted to retire. Their QB is an overrated game manager. Their defense is old and slow. You almost beat them with a depleted offense. I don't sweat SD...you think the bears are as good or better than baltimore? haha

nickelbolt
09-30-2009, 03:38 PM

As for the Rats, they have one WR, and he's old and wanted to retire. Their QB is an overrated game manager. Their defense is old and slow. You almost beat them with a depleted offense. I don't sweat SD...

That's cool. No worries. The Bears have a BONA-FIDE LOSER for a QB in Cutler. The kid will implode, bank it.

I agree about the Ravens D. It's going to be their downfall.

I know some Steelers fans who are sweating the Chargers, but they sweat every game because they're paranoid. The Steelers players will certainly take this one seriously and like I said earlier... not many reasons to think the Chargers will win.

Good luck.

sdchargeher
09-30-2009, 07:15 PM
I could easily see the Chargers beating the steeles. Rivers can pass all over them without a healthy palomalu. If they don't get to Rivers he is going to light that defense up just like baltimores. Floyd and Jackson starting means lots of big plays. Chargers will take this 34-23.