PDA

View Full Version : The NFL Is Cutting It's Own Throat

SteelStang
09-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Perhaps I should have said Goodell rather than the NFL but same thing I guess.

You would really have to be out to lunch not to notice that the league has spoken to officiating crews about Hines Ward and James Harrison. I do not make my comments out of anger from yesterday's game because I had planned to write this anyway.

In the first 3 games, Hines has been penalized I believe 5 times. An offensive PI (It was the right call although it rarely GETS called) and he has had a bogus illegal formation and 3 holding calls. The call yesterday that obviously infuriated Tomlin and Arians was ridiculous. If that was not proof that officials aren't targeting Ward than I don't know what is.

As for Harrison, it appears to me that unless a blocker is so completely mugging JH then holding will not be called. While it would be easy for coaches to tell JH to play beyond and above what he can't control, at some point he has to be wondering if he'll ever get a break. These arm bars and clear grabbing of his jersey on the inside near his waist have gotten to be too much. It's holding, plain and simple.

These are just two points as I make the case that the NFL is destroying itself. Ty Carter was fined for a perfectly legal hit that was not penalized during the game last week. Officials, after reviewing the tape, ruled that he led with his head.
Yesterday, Bengals DB Joseph clearly led with his helmet in the opening stages of the game when he hit Heath Miller. No penalty was called and you can bet the league will not fine him either.

I think we can all agree that safety is a must in football, but at what cost? Does the NFL want to turn this into the Arena League with 70-55 scores because there is no defense? Aggresiveness on the field is no longer tolerated. "He led with his head." "He went too high." "He hit a defenseless player." Lines we hear every week from HQ in New York. It is getting so bad that it has trickled down to the college level. Tim Tebow was knocked out of the game on a hit that could not have been more legal. Within minutes, the discussion around the internet started to turn to whether it actually was a legal hit or not.

When we were kids and told our parents we wanted to play football, we were told to play hard and be careful. No we have to tell our kids to make sure they don't block below the waist, don't touch anyone's helmet, don't hit a defenseless player and so on.

Football is a rough sport and anyone who plays it or has it played it knows this. That roughness is part of what makes football great. I am not advocating for illegal hits or anything even remotely like that, but as Goodell and his henchmen continue to take physicality away from the players they will continue to lose fans who appreciate hard-hitting, defensive football/

stlrtruck
09-28-2009, 04:08 PM
And the congregation said, "AMEN!"

arge5809
09-28-2009, 04:21 PM
And the congregation said, "AMEN!"

It is nice to har someone else with the same thoughts. If really does look like the league is trying to over penalize the Steelers.

:tt03:

SteelersinCA
09-28-2009, 04:54 PM
You know it's interesting, as I watched the Colts Cards game last night I couldn't help but think they Freeney was getting holding calls called for him when he was getting mugged a lot less than it appears to me that Harrison does. I try to remove my homer glasses when I watch this stuff but my buddy, a charger fan, noticed it as well. It definitely seems like something is amiss here.

I'm not ready to call conspiracy or anything yet, but it is strange.

Franco32Harris
09-28-2009, 04:59 PM
The most frustrating thing about this season in my opinion is that Harrison is getting mugged and there are no penalty flags, I find it to be ridiculous. Most of the time I prefer watching the defense instead of the offense.

Sharkissle29
09-28-2009, 05:16 PM
The most frustrating thing about this season in my opinion is that Harrison is getting mugged and there are no penalty flags, I find it to be ridiculous. Most of the time I prefer watching the defense instead of the offense.

Thats how i USED to be too

AllD
09-28-2009, 05:46 PM
If anybody remembers, Cowher was not a ref's favorite after he put that 11-man photo in the ref's pocket after getting called for 12 men on the field. Tomlin sending tapes to the office for holding against Harrison and the no-calls got them zeroed in on Ward out of spite. Call it what it is.

No way the Steelers lose if they are allowed to paly football instead of what it has degenerated into. The NFL inherently has hitting. Hitting is not the equivalent of fighting in the NHL. Two entirely different issues, but the NFL is ruining the game.

srk173
09-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Your also forgetting the horse collar tackle that Roy Williams did on a return by Logan. It was right infront of two refs but never called. I bet it won't get a fine either.:banging:

Steelstralia
09-28-2009, 10:13 PM
Perhaps I should have said Goodell rather than the NFL but same thing I guess.

You would really have to be out to lunch not to notice that the league has spoken to officiating crews about Hines Ward and James Harrison. I do not make my comments out of anger from yesterday's game because I had planned to write this anyway.

In the first 3 games, Hines has been penalized I believe 5 times. An offensive PI (It was the right call although it rarely GETS called) and he has had a bogus illegal formation and 3 holding calls. The call yesterday that obviously infuriated Tomlin and Arians was ridiculous. If that was not proof that officials aren't targeting Ward than I don't know what is.

As for Harrison, it appears to me that unless a blocker is so completely mugging JH then holding will not be called. While it would be easy for coaches to tell JH to play beyond and above what he can't control, at some point he has to be wondering if he'll ever get a break. These arm bars and clear grabbing of his jersey on the inside near his waist have gotten to be too much. It's holding, plain and simple.

These are just two points as I make the case that the NFL is destroying itself. Ty Carter was fined for a perfectly legal hit that was not penalized during the game last week. Officials, after reviewing the tape, ruled that he led with his head.
Yesterday, Bengals DB Joseph clearly led with his helmet in the opening stages of the game when he hit Heath Miller. No penalty was called and you can bet the league will not fine him either.

I think we can all agree that safety is a must in football, but at what cost? Does the NFL want to turn this into the Arena League with 70-55 scores because there is no defense? Aggresiveness on the field is no longer tolerated. "He led with his head." "He went too high." "He hit a defenseless player." Lines we hear every week from HQ in New York. It is getting so bad that it has trickled down to the college level. Tim Tebow was knocked out of the game on a hit that could not have been more legal. Within minutes, the discussion around the internet started to turn to whether it actually was a legal hit or not.

When we were kids and told our parents we wanted to play football, we were told to play hard and be careful. No we have to tell our kids to make sure they don't block below the waist, don't touch anyone's helmet, don't hit a defenseless player and so on.

Football is a rough sport and anyone who plays it or has it played it knows this. That roughness is part of what makes football great. I am not advocating for illegal hits or anything even remotely like that, but as Goodell and his henchmen continue to take physicality away from the players they will continue to lose fans who appreciate hard-hitting, defensive football/

you are completely right, i have no idea why they keep adding these stupid complex rules that apply to tackling, how else do they expect the player to take down the ball carrier? i have noticed some targeting in the past especially on the steelers in a game back in 07, i think it was against the jags (if anyone remembers however, correct me if i'm wrong). and i read an article about football casualties, more casualties happen today then it did back in the 70's and 60's, and that was the era where players of the NFL, (even the QB's) put up with some serious *beep*, sorry if this sounded off subject but i'm applying my point more to the "legal tackle" that people get charged for, i remember that tackle that bush copped from the eagles defense, that was a hard hit, and the guy got charged from what i remember reading.
and someone tell me, is it goodell himself who regulates this rules?

SteelerFanInStl
09-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Your also forgetting the horse collar tackle that Roy Williams did on a return by Logan. It was right infront of two refs but never called. I bet it won't get a fine either.:banging:

Williams had ahold of the jersey, not the shoulder pads. That wasn't a horse collar.

kmsteelerwr15
09-28-2009, 10:49 PM
Williams had ahold of the jersey, not the shoulder pads. That wasn't a horse collar.

Oh but I'm sure it would have been called if it was Ryan Clark. :banging:

It's gotten to the point where in the Titans game, Troy Polamalu was starting to get calls; I still dont agree with that late hit out of bounds.

I just honeslty dont know how Goodell could make it any more obvious. I'm waiting for him to start fining us for scoring too many points soon.

I know that we cannot change anything but damn it im going to keep on B & C about it; if Pats fans can boo the refs then I can definitly voice my opinion :mad:

BlastFurnace
09-28-2009, 10:50 PM
I have always believed this....the NFL was a better game from 30 years ago.

Under Goodell, the NFL will eventually go the way of the NBA where it's popularity will dwindle. It won't be as fast as the NBA, but it will happen.

GodfatherofSoul
09-29-2009, 12:26 AM
More ambiguous rules make it easier for refs to fix outcomes.

tony hipchest
09-29-2009, 12:36 AM
More ambiguous rules make it easier for refs to fix outcomes.yep. thats exactly why the refs allow the patriots to pick a ball off the turf after an obvious incompletion and return it for a TD (forcing the opponent to not only waste a time out but a challenge to erase a bogus 6 gift points off the board).

total bullshit. :bs:

ricksteelers55
09-29-2009, 12:44 AM
To be fair though I dont think the refs had anything to do with our D allowing the Bengals to score with their last drive.

Maybe they dont like us,then we will have to be better.

Preacher
09-29-2009, 01:22 AM
Sigh...

every year, the leagues gets worse, and we start sounding more like the Seahawk fans.

T Bradshaw
09-29-2009, 02:02 AM
Goodall has ruined this league
I would rather watch college football, less stupid flags

Change the name from NFL to NFFL
National Flag Football League

I cant believe some of the calls I have seen this year

MongoSteeler
09-29-2009, 02:39 AM
I don't think we need to worry about Goodell fining us for scoring too many points anytime in the immediate future.

steelrush
09-29-2009, 05:38 AM
SteelStang, I totally agree.
But i suppose it has to be like that when you're hated...:coffee:

BlastFurnace
09-29-2009, 07:22 AM
Sigh...

every year, the leagues gets worse, and we start sounding more like the Seahawk fans.

It's not that. The league is getting more ticky-tack with their calls. They call things...against us and for us...that are ridiculous penalties some times that. Unfortunately, this is the new standard of the NFL.

I get just as annoyed when we get a call for something that is just a normal part of the game. When nearly every single receiver, after not catching a ball, is doing the "throw the flag motion" to the ref after nearly ever play, it get's ridiculous.

Players get fined for big hits, but the league profits from those big hits because they use them in their promotions. It's getting ridiculous.

I don't believe that is sounding like a Seattle fan. I'm not blaming the NFL for our losses. I just don't like the judgement they use.

CPanther95
09-29-2009, 08:04 AM
We'd probably have a couple more SBs if the league didn't completely revamp the rules in the late 70's to try and neutralize the Steelers defense. They were too dominant and the league viewed that as a threat to "competitiveness".

This is nothing new.

moedap
09-29-2009, 08:32 AM
Blame it on some of those fantasy football players. The NFL recognizes that a lot of their "new" fans have no knowledge of how real football includes defense. They only like football games if there is a lot of scoring. They dont see the beauty in a football game that features stifling defense. The NFLs attempt to gain a more international audience by clearly giving the offenses more leeway than defense so as more points are scored is the wrong route. Attention to offensive scoring places emphasis on individual efforts over team efforts which leads to the "I love me some me!" attitudes. The same attitude which turned me off of the NBA. I have always loved football more than basketball so I may not abandon the NFL but if the attitude persists...who knows!

SteelStang
09-29-2009, 08:48 AM
In reference to the 'becoming more like the Seahawks fans' comment... I think you could point to that exact call as to why we are being targeted. I am NOT suggesting there is a conspiracy and I am NOT suggesting the officials cost us on Sunday or last Sunday, but for the life of me how can even an average football fan not see what I am seeing?

The league is taking the game out of the game.

steelrush
09-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Amen!:coffee:

CargoJon
09-29-2009, 03:00 PM
The officiating is sometimes good and sometimes crappy. I'ts the inconsistency that pisses me off.

An umpire can call a high strike zone in baseball, and as long as he's consistent with it, both pitchers and hitters can know what to expect. Not so in the NFL, it's so hit and miss...

FSUBoo
09-29-2009, 04:32 PM
I said it after the Titans game, and also after the Bears game. There is no way Harrison doesn't get a sack in either game. They're holding him all day long.