PDA

View Full Version : Bengals Singing A Song After Whipping The Steelers

steelerdave1969
09-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Cincinnati wide receiver Chad Ochocinco wasn't going to let this one slide without letting his feelings be known to the world.

Following Cincinnati's improbable, 23-20, come-from-behind victory Sunday over the Steelers at Paul Brown Stadium in which the Bengals scored 14 points in the final nine minutes, Ochocinco expressed what was on his mind and in his heart through something other than his mouth the late R&B artist Sam Cooke.

The Bengals' vocal wide receiver made sure he had the locker room's sound system all queued up and the repeat button engaged to Cooke's 1964 hit single "A Change is Gonna Come." The song blared throughout the room after the Bengals upset their biggest rival.

"I am a Sam Cooke man," Ochocinco said, with a smug smile.

For those not familiar with Cooke's song, the main verse states: "It's been a long, long time coming. But I know a change gonna come, oh yes, it will."

Guard Bobbie Williams, all 6-foot-4, 345-pounds of him, was belting out the lyrics.

"Oh yeah, it's been a long time coming," Williams sang.

That long time finally arrived yesterday for the Bengals.

Cincinnati beat its rival on its home turf after eight consecutive losses since the opening of Paul Brown Stadium at the turn of the century.

"I guess the song fits in right with the day," said cornerback Johnathan Joseph, who returned an interception 30 yards for a touchdown only 95 seconds into the second half to give the Bengals their first touchdown.

The Steelers always have been a thorn in the Bengals' side.

Since 2000, the two teams have played 20 times, and the Bengals have come away with only four victories. One of the most heartbreaking defeats came in the 2005 AFC wild-card game, when Cincinnati self-destructed after losing quarterback Carson Palmer to a knee injury.

It appeared to be heading down that familiar road again yesterday after Cincinnati didn't manage positive yards until a few minutes into the second quarter.

"Even when chaos was among us, we remained poised, and we kept our confidence," Williams said.

According to Ochocinco, times of old in Cincinnati are just that times of old.

"Down, 13-0, the Bengals of old would've laid down, and we would've been rattled," Ochocinco said. "We stuck together as a team and made some plays."

The biggest was Palmer's touchdown pass to Andre Caldwell with 14 seconds left to give the Bengals the win.

"We knew we were going to win it," Caldwell said. "New players, new staff and a new mindset around here."

And new results. The Bengals are 2-1 they would have been 3-0 if not for a fluke play against Denver in the opener and sit alone in second place behind undefeated Baltimore in the AFC North.

"Not once all week did the guys talk about the past because, truthfully, they don't even remember that," Williams said. "We went into this game with a clean slate, and we knew we could do it."

Nobody outside the Bengals' locker room would've imagined coming back like they did against the Steelers.

"It is easy to lie down," receiver Laveranues Coles said. "But this team has a lot of resiliency."

It was only Palmer's third victory in 10 tries over the Steelers since coming into the league in 2003.

"It was a great moment for our fans," Palmer said. "It was a great moment, a great play and a great game for our fans."

And it was a long time coming, especially in Cincinnati.

steelerdave1969
09-28-2009, 06:37 PM
November 15th and Heinz Field Cannot Come Soon Enough For Me...
And Thats All I Got To Say:drink:

fansince'76
09-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Sorry, already posted: http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=39412