PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall revisited

Nighthawk
09-28-2009, 07:05 PM
While watching the game last night I heard the announcers mention something to the effect that Tomlin says the kid needs to approach everything with a sense of urgency (meetings, practice, etc...) Anyone from around the pitts area or who is better at searching out news have anything else on this?

We've seen flashes from this kid, I want to see him get some increased touches so hopefully he gtse whatever bad habits he has out of the way. I think we can really use him in the next few games to keep Willie fresh down the stretch.

Sharkissle29
09-28-2009, 07:11 PM
While watching the game last night I heard the announcers mention something to the effect that Tomlin says the kid needs to approach everything with a sense of urgency (meetings, practice, etc...) Anyone from around the pitts area or who is better at searching out news have anything else on this?

We've seen flashes from this kid, I want to see him get some increased touches so hopefully he gtse whatever bad habits he has out of the way. I think we can really use him in the next few games to keep Willie fresh down the stretch.

I would like to know the same thing. Cant understand why you cant give the kid a shot, he must have done something to get under the skin of Tomlin....

SteelerFanInStl
09-28-2009, 09:27 PM
I mentioned the same thing in another thread. I'd like to hear the whole story.

mesaSteeler
09-28-2009, 09:54 PM
From http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=39423

" Rashard Mendenhall was benched because Mike Tomlin didn't like how he handled a little success.

I think that was coach-speak for Mendenhall failing his weekly assignment test, but I'm not positive of that. "

From http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=39413

"Coach Mike Tomlin said Mendenhall didn't have a good week of practice.

"Rashard wasn't on the detail (last) week," Tomlin said, "so I chose not to play him on offense." "

SteelMember
09-29-2009, 07:07 AM
"Rashard wasn't on the details this week," Tomlin said of his decision not to play him on offense.

Sounds like some weak preparation.

Read more: http://postgazette.com/pg/09272/1001626-87.stm#ixzz0SUsVWyL3

steelrush
09-29-2009, 10:29 AM
hmmmm...
Reading this thread's posts, I managed to get an idea. Here it goes:

Maybe -I'm saying maybe- Tomlin finally dawns on this one in five possibility that the kid isn't going to adapt to this team's running demands? In short, he's not fitting too well in the team's offensive system?:coffee:

steeltheone
09-29-2009, 11:20 AM
The B word keeps getting closer and closer...

steelreserve
09-29-2009, 11:30 AM
At this point, who knows whether there really is an issue, or whether the Parker-only scheme is just so ingrained we don't know what else to do.

No, but in all seriousness, we need to give this guy more of a look. If that means he needs to get his head out of his ass, so be it.

Steely McSmash
09-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Maybe instead of studying he was working on hip hop dance moves?:rofl:

arge5809
09-29-2009, 12:01 PM
I just watched the Mike Tomlin news conference and Tomlin said that Mendy was not in the dog house. He was not taking the training week seriously and it was his (Tomlin's) way of showing Mendy that he needs to buckle down and get it right. Tomlin said he can excuse that attitude if it is Hines Ward, but not one of the rookies who hasn't proven himself yet.

Tomlin said that he went to Mendy and got him straightened out, and that he would be ready to play this week.

I also liked the fact that he eluded to the fact that Sweed would not be dressed this week because of the dropsies. McDonald would be dressed.

:tt02:

GeneralRobinson
09-29-2009, 12:23 PM
I also liked the fact that he eluded to the fact that Sweed would not be dressed this week because of the dropsies. McDonald would be dressed.

:tt02:

Sweed being benched is not a given. My opinion is the coaches should not bench Sweed for dropping that pass. If he was not picking up the offense or not working hard or studying, then you argue that McDonald should dress. If you're going to bench Sweed, you might as well bench Holmes. How many passes has he dropped? You set a double standard and send a mixed message. Besides, he's only going to have 1 or 2 passes thrown to him anyway.

Rek
09-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Sweed being benched is not a given. My opinion is the coaches should not bench Sweed for dropping that pass. If he was not picking up the offense or not working hard or studying, then you argue that McDonald should dress. If you're going to bench Sweed, you might as well bench Holmes. How many passes has he dropped? You set a double standard and send a mixed message. Besides, he's only going to have 1 or 2 passes thrown to him anyway.

Holmes catches all but a few balls. Sweeeeeed drops more passes than he catches. THAT'S the difference.

The_WARDen
09-29-2009, 12:29 PM

The difference is that Holmes has BIG games on his resume and has made huge catches in big spots. He gets the benefit of doubt when he's struggling.

Sweed has no resume...right now, he stands out mainly due to big time drops.

Sharkissle29
09-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Holmes catches all but a few balls. Sweeeeeed drops more passes than he catches. THAT'S the difference.

+1, i am sick of people comparing holmes' drops to sweed's drops.....huge difference in the amount of balls thrown their way

GeneralRobinson
09-29-2009, 12:50 PM
+1, i am sick of people comparing holmes' drops to sweed's drops.....huge difference in the amount of balls thrown their way

Actually, comparing Holmes to Sweed is legitimate in the sense that Holmes struggled early in his career. Holmes' issue was picking up the offense, adjusting routes, and the big one, fumbling, constantly. The coaches stuck with him and he has improved to be one of the quality receivers in the NFL.

I give Holmes much props for his contributions to the team the last two years. Just saying that one standard to young player struggles should be applied across the board. If you rate Sweed as a potential great receiver and if he's the fourth best receiver on the team now, you play him.