PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Harrison spar over 'cheap shot' hit

steelrush
09-29-2009, 04:22 AM
Scaife, Steelers' Harrison spar over 'cheap shot' hit
Jets coach tells Titans FB Hall 'Bring it on'
By JIM WYATT Gannett Tennessee September 26, 2009

While Titans tight end Bo Scaife is doing everything he can to get back on the field, Steelers linebacker James Harrison said he's doing everything he can to keep from getting fined.

Harrison said that's what led him to tackle Scaife low in the season opener on Sept. 10, a hit that injured Scaife's knee and kept him off the field until Thursday.
Scaife didn't play last week against the Texans and is questionable for Sunday's game against the Jets because of a sprained MCL.

After the game Scaife called Harrison's hit a "cheap shot.''
This week Harrison said a rule the NFL adopted for this season Rule 12-2-12, otherwise known as the Hines Ward rule caused him to tackle Scaife low. The rule outlawed blindside hits to the head or neck area.

Last season's NFL Defensive MVP said it's trained him to go low when tackling in the open field.

"He (Scaife) called me a cheap player but I don't really care,'' Harrison said. "It keeps money in my pocket; I'm not trying to get fined. It's a business when it all comes down to it and it comes down to making money, and I'm trying to make the most that I can. It sounds real shrewd and mean, but I'd rather go and play by the rules than get fined."

Told of Harrison's comments, Scaife shook his head.
"I don't even care about that anymore. I can't change what happened. I'm over it,'' he said. "I just want to get back on the field. I'm anxious to play.''

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/article/20090926/SPORTS/909260336

It seems that for some, money do mean everything...
Sorry if this has been already posted.:coffee:

BlockMonsta
09-29-2009, 05:19 AM
Money..is that why his play is sub-par from what I think most of us were expecting? After getting his payday he is kicking back?

Take note I have yet to see a game. aside a bit from the Ten game.

SteelersMongol
09-29-2009, 08:23 AM
Boo Scalf can cry all season 4 all V care. Silly Titan. What he needs 2 do is 2 approach Commissioner Goodell 4 this issue.

Hammer Of The GODS
09-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Money..is that why his play is sub-par from what I think most of us were expecting? After getting his payday he is kicking back?

You don't come off very good when you critique a guys play and label it subpar when you admit you haven't actually observed his play.

Silverback is TRYING to get to the QB, but the refs are NOT calling holding on the man. So, when a team watches film and sees that the refs are NOT calling holding on Harrison they are more inclined to do the same and the viscious cycle goes on.

Conversely, when an opposing defense sees that the refs ARE calling holding on the Steelers they send the world on a blitz knowing either a free man gets to Ben or they will get the flag for holding.

It is what it is and Steeler fans have to live with it.

Only the Cheatriots get consideration from the refs. Don't believe me watch a pats game and watch the refs when they spot the ball and tell me they don't add yards to the ACTUAL spot the of the ball.

SteelerFanInStl
09-29-2009, 10:04 AM

First of all, you misinterpreted what he said. He's not "kicking back". He's simply trying to avoid getting fined, and penalized, for what the NFL has deemed an illegal hit.

Second, if you haven't even watched the Steelers play this year, it's a little ridiculous to make any kind of comment regarding a players' level of play.

Silverback is one of the last players that you will ever see not giving 100%. He's gone through far too much to get where he is now to start coasting.

fansince'76
09-29-2009, 11:27 AM

No, it has more to do with opposing O-linemen being allowed to practically tackle him with impunity. "We'll be enforcing offensive holding more strictly this year," my ass.

fansince'76
09-29-2009, 11:31 AM
It seems that for some, money do mean everything...

Not Harrison's fault Goodell is turning it into a puss league. What's wrong with trying not to get fined?

SteelMember
09-29-2009, 11:41 AM
What's wrong with trying not to get fined?

Nothing.

It's not like the guy ever has a lot to say anyway.

BlockMonsta
09-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Yes, i have yet to watch an entire game. But I am going of stats. Kinda how you go and say FWP should be cut because he had an 2.2 AVG.

BlockMonsta
09-29-2009, 10:55 PM
Sorry, I dont do FF. I do go to a juco and play football so pratice is somewhat long you know? I tend to miss games, I am in Cali, I dont have NFL Ticket, I dont have NFL Network, I do watch play-by-play on NFL.com... they show the Raiders, Chargers, and 49ers. Maybe you should get of #92's dick? I have come to expect better numbers from him, if I dont see it I'll call it.

X-Terminator
09-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Sorry, I dont do FF. I do go to a juco and play football so pratice is somewhat long you know? I tend to miss games, I am in Cali, I dont have NFL Ticket, I dont have NFL Network, I do watch play-by-play on NFL.com... they show the Raiders, Chargers, and 49ers. Maybe you should get of #92's dick? I have come to expect better numbers from him, if I dont see it I'll call it.

Not a valid excuse. If you don't see what's going on, you can't comment on it. Period. It makes you look dumb.

Harrison has not taken one play off this season. Everyone who has actually WATCHED the games will tell you that. His numbers being down have absolutely ZERO to do with being "fat and happy" because he got his new contract.

BlockMonsta
09-30-2009, 12:07 AM
To me it is a valid excuse. Besides if you go back to my first post it say's "Take Note". Now all of you people that hang on #92's balls jump on me. If he does bad I can look at stats, you guys bitch about FWP only getting 2.4 YDS a carry that's stats. WATCH the game, he has no running room.

SteelMember
09-30-2009, 08:28 AM
Point is, If you watch the games, even highlights, you'd know that Harrison is getting doubled or chipped on his side. (mostly held) Now, if coach moved him around like they did with Lloyd and Greene there might be more 1 on 1 opportunities, but right now he's the one getting the attention, so it's up to someone else to step up and win their battle and get back there...like Hampton did.

BlockMonsta
09-30-2009, 03:15 PM
So I guess someone (as in Woodley) needs to get back into last seasons form?

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Awfully funny that Bo Sciaffe has the nerve to talk about Harrison's tackle as being "dirty", while conveniently forgetting about Crumpler taking Polamalu out of the game.

I am not one to go around crying about this hit or that being "cheap" or "dirty"-- I believe in old fashioned football, but....

Watching the replays of Crumpler looking directly down at Troy's knee, targetting it as he was coming down on it, it takes some nerve for Scaife to be running his big fat gums about dirty hits....

VinnySteel
10-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Another reason it seems to me after actually WATCHING the games, is that the quarterbacks we have faced, namely Cutler and Palmer, did a really good job of getting the balls out of there quickly. They seemed to rely on short, quick passes, so it is also up to our secondary to get coverage to make the QB go to his 3rd, 4th or 5th read and take that extra second or two that would allow Harrison or Woodley to get there or at least force them out of the pocket. Seems like teams are negating our rush by dicing up our secondary with this quick throw approach. We need to adapt.

SteelersMongol
10-01-2009, 10:24 AM

To me it is a valid excuse. Besides if you go back to my first post it say's "Take Note". Now all of you people that hang on #92's balls jump on me. If he does bad I can look at stats, you guys bitch about FWP only getting 2.4 YDS a carry that's stats. WATCH the game, he has no running room.

What's with all these talk about balls & dick, friend? :noidea: R U in a wrong forum or what? :wink02: I think u'r only allowed 2 talk like that against the Cheaters fans who crown Tom's .... :chuckle: