PDA

View Full Version : Carey Davis re-signed?

7willBheaven
09-29-2009, 01:37 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Biggs-Steelers-resign-FB-Davis.html

This is the only place i've seen anything about it...not sure if its true or not...but figured i'd post it....

steelreserve
09-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Hmm ... I wonder if this means Johnson is out for the season? That's the only thing I can think of that makes sense. It did not look good seeing him carried off on a cart.

7willBheaven
09-29-2009, 01:51 PM
either that....or they are giving up on Summers as a FB this yr who knows....

I'd like to see Summers play some RB myself...but we shall see.

steelreserve
09-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Well, either Johnson or Summers is going to have to take a hike if this is true.

I'd put my money on Johnson, because we can keep him on IR and bring him back next year ... but if it's Summers, we'd have to cut him outright, and then face it, man, he's gone. Also, the fact that Johnson is obviously injured kind of tips the odds, I'm thinking.

7willBheaven
09-29-2009, 01:59 PM
http://pit.scout.com/2/904128.html (transcript of Tomlins press conf.)

Part way through he said this about Frank....

" Frank Summers is at the doctor, as we speak, getting his back looked at. (It’s) somewhat of a mystery. We’ll have more information regarding that hopefully later on today. "

"Q: What do you do if D.J. and Summers can’t play? Similar to what you did Sunday?

A: Yes, but we’ll also potentially explore acquiring a body that could potentially help us. I’m going to wait and see what the results are before I rush to judgment. "

Hmmm....now its a toss up haha

bradness113
09-29-2009, 02:30 PM
carey is back w/ us. they resigned him.

Fire Haley
09-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Woo-hoo!

Our season is saved!

We got a fatback.

Preacher
09-29-2009, 02:34 PM

:rofl:

There are going to be a lot of people upset on this board!

GeneralRobinson
09-29-2009, 02:41 PM

I assume they had to cut someone from the 53 man roster to sign him. Any report who?

fansince'76
09-29-2009, 02:43 PM
:rofl:

There are going to be a lot of people upset on this board!

I may have to delete this thread before El-Gonzo sees it. :chuckle:

Preacher
09-29-2009, 02:46 PM

:toofunny: Too true. Heck, if we start running well, we may have to provide counseling to some on this board!

steelreserve
09-29-2009, 02:54 PM

I wonder if he's going to take Dookie's place as the cut-again, signed-again marginal RB who we can never seem to get rid of completely...

BlastFurnace
09-29-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm glad he's back.

Preacher
09-29-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm glad he's back.

Personally, I am too. He was the best FB we had in camp. I understand cutting him because we have to go with the future instead of the present. However, with The Tank tanking... its time to reassess for this year.

Tank will be fine IMO. he just needs time to adjust to the game.

NJarhead
09-29-2009, 03:04 PM
As long as they don't throw it to him in the flat on 3-1, I have no problem with it. :chuckle:

Preacher
09-29-2009, 03:21 PM
As long as they don't throw it to him in the flat on 3-1, I have no problem with it. :chuckle:

I have no idea what that problem was... don't know if Carey just didn't have a feel for the field... or if Ben would throw it too soon. Either way, that IS something that I hope the coaches work on with him.

SteelMember
09-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Heeee's back. :chuckle:

Steelers sign fullback Davis
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
By Ed Bouchette and Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have brought back a familiar face to help their running game -- fullback Carey Davis, a former two-year starter who was waived during the final cut of training camp, sources told the Post-Gazette.

Davis was signed after rookie fullback Frank Summers developed a back problem that Coach Mike Tomlin termed "mysterious" and rookie tight end David Johnson sustained a high-ankle sprain against the Cincinnati Bengals -- an injury that could keep him out several weeks.

Davis started 11 games the past two seasons with the Steelers and played in 37 games in three seasons, including six playoff games. He had 12 carries for 35 yards and caught five passes for 27 yards in 14 games last season.

Davis was cut earlier this month in favor of Summers, a fifth-round pick from UNLV.

Read more: http://postgazette.com/pg/09272/1001702-66.stm#ixzz0SWix7eH0

KeiselPower99
09-29-2009, 03:53 PM
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I thought we had finally seen the end of him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-29-2009, 04:59 PM

Too late G.....oh well, I guess after injury to McHugh, Johnson, Summers......he's the next best option.

I'm just gonna enjoy that Lombardi and hope for the best as a fan. All the injuries are shaping up to derail this season already.

The Lakelander
09-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Steelers | Summers placed on IR
Comment (0)
Tue, 29 Sep 2009 13:40:28 -0700

The Pittsburgh Steelers have announced they have placed FB Frank Summers (back) on Injured Reserve, ending his 2009 season.

NJarhead
09-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Steelers | Summers placed on IR
Comment (0)
Tue, 29 Sep 2009 13:40:28 -0700

The Pittsburgh Steelers have announced they have placed FB Frank Summers (back) on Injured Reserve, ending his 2009 season.

we're doomed. :chuckle:

klick81
09-29-2009, 06:44 PM
There goes his development. What is going on.

Psyychoward86
09-29-2009, 07:03 PM

Frank Summers is on IR with back problems, and David Johnson has a high ankle sprain.

NJarhead
09-29-2009, 07:04 PM

It sounds like he pulled a "Jerome Bettis." Considering there was an article yesterday about moving in another direction (from Summers) and Coach Tomlin described it as a "mysterious back injury." The problem is, he's no Jerome Bettis.

madsteelerfan51
09-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Frank Summers is out with a back injury is why Davis is signed with a year contract

sherlock
09-29-2009, 08:57 PM
So Davis is back.....well I`m gonna be cheering him on anyway!
C`mon everyone,lets get positive(you love him really Gonzo:chuckle:),he`s going to be mvp against the Chargers.
Altogether now....there`s only one Carey Davis :tt:

Rek
09-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Carey Davis blows.

7willBheaven
09-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Davis knows the system....too bad they didnt give Lorenzo Neal a call...he should be healthy by now...it wouldnt have hurt, he's a true FB...older yes...but still.

Oh well...welcome back Carey...heres hoping you do well.

Shoes
09-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Hope they cut the grass low at Heinz Field :chuckle: :chuckle:

devilsdancefloor
09-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Im with sherlock! Maybe being CUT has made him realize he can do better and has lite a fire under his ass:tt03:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2009, 01:33 AM
So Davis is back.....well I`m gonna be cheering him on anyway!
C`mon everyone,lets get positive(you love him really Gonzo:chuckle:),he`s going to be mvp against the Chargers.
Altogether now....there`s only one Carey Davis :tt:

The problem I have with Carey Davis is that he weighs 4 lbs more than LaDanian Tomlinson............hardly big enough to lead block for anybody. If LT ate with Casey Hampton for a week, he could be a FB, as he is a better blocker than Carey Davis.

His only value is on special teams coverage.

Preacher
09-30-2009, 02:23 AM
The problem I have with Carey Davis is that he weighs 4 lbs more than LaDanian Tomlinson............hardly big enough to lead block for anybody. If LT ate with Casey Hampton for a week, he could be a FB, as he is a better blocker than Carey Davis.

His only value is on special teams coverage.
:chuckle:

Least he knows what guy to block !

I have to wonder just how "mysterious" was that back injury.

"Hey, Davis. You missed pretty much every blocking assignment this far. Guess that is because of that back injury you just sustained."

Davis, "I what?"

"SHut up rook. Talking will make your back worse. Go report to the doctor." :rofl:

I actually was hoping he would work out better this year. Oh well. Time in the lockeroom, film study, and watching Davis actually fulfill his assignments...regardless of how well he actually blocks, will help Tank understand his role better next year.

steelreserve
09-30-2009, 03:46 AM
I have to wonder just how "mysterious" was that back injury.

"Hey, Davis. You missed pretty much every blocking assignment this far. Guess that is because of that back injury you just sustained."

Davis, "I what?"

"SHut up rook. Talking will make your back worse. Go report to the doctor." :rofl:

Dude, I think you meant to say "Tank." That's like yelling out your crazy ex-girlfriend's name in the sack after she just showed up in town again and you're thinking about meeting her for dinner.

Well, not quite like that, but you get my point.

Galax Steeler
09-30-2009, 04:47 AM
I was one that wanted to see Davis cut back during training camp. With all the injuries we are getting I guess I have to welcome him back. Hopefully he will see the light and play his butt off.

Stlrs4Life
09-30-2009, 06:48 AM
I assume they had to cut someone from the 53 man roster to sign him. Any report who?

Summers.

Stlrs4Life
09-30-2009, 06:49 AM
I was one that wanted to see Davis cut back during training camp. With all the injuries we are getting I guess I have to welcome him back. Hopefully he will see the light and play his butt off.

Highly doubt it Galax.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Dude, I think you meant to say "Tank." That's like yelling out your crazy ex-girlfriend's name in the sack after she just showed up in town again and you're thinking about meeting her for dinner.

Hey, its OK for people to have an obsession. I'd still prefer if it was kept in private. :wink:

Michael Vick's Dog
09-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Summers was so bad that I started to miss Carey Davis. I can't believe that's even possible, but it happened.

Preacher
09-30-2009, 02:21 PM

Well, not quite like that, but you get my point.

Oops. You got the point though.

I wonder if this is more of a basketball injury "Tank, your injured" than a real injury.

steelreserve
09-30-2009, 02:59 PM

Oops. You got the point though.

I wonder if this is more of a basketball injury "Tank, your injured" than a real injury.

I was thinking the same thing. He wasn't playing anyway, and in all honesty, it didn't look like he was going to be ready until next year. Could just be a way to avoid cutting him outright and give him another crack next season. Heck, I think he's actually been on the active roster for few enough games that he could still even qualify for the practice squad next year.

Preacher
09-30-2009, 03:08 PM
I was thinking the same thing. He wasn't playing anyway, and in all honesty, it didn't look like he was going to be ready until next year. Could just be a way to avoid cutting him outright and give him another crack next season. Heck, I think he's actually been on the active roster for few enough games that he could still even qualify for the practice squad next year.

Honestly, I thought we would keep Carey Davis one more year, and allow Tank to watch him. Whatever people think about Davis, he always hit the right blocks, and always had a push on the guy. I know people don't like him not blowing holes wide open or getting the extra yards after a touch when he has the ball. But from a technical side of the game, x's and o's, he is still a good mentor for Tank.

Hamer
09-30-2009, 03:15 PM
I hope Davis can at least hold down the "fullback" job (such as it is in Arians offense)... The main thing I like about him is the veteran leadership he'll provide for the running backs. Parker's the best runner we have but he is pretty quiet in the locker room from what I hear, and Mendenhall has a lot to learn, obviously.