PDA

View Full Version : SWEEEEEEEEEED BENCHED?

Shoes
09-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Look's like Sweed might not be playing football this weekend

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_645558.html

steelpride12
09-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Good lets hope we see Mcdonald lots!

ETL
09-29-2009, 07:06 PM
After his next crucial drop - he will be cut ... and then he will go to a new team and ... be a star player.

That will be our luck.

stillers4me
09-29-2009, 07:08 PM
After his next crucial drop - he will be cut ... and then he will go to a new team and ... be a star player.

That will be our luck.

And shoot himself in the leg.

tony hipchest
09-29-2009, 07:12 PM
And shoot himself in the leg.

:chuckle:

if willie reid and lee mays got 2(+) years (and d. baker got 2) sweed will be a steeler next year.

TheWarDen86
09-29-2009, 07:16 PM
:chuckle:

if willie reid and lee mays got 2(+) years (and d. baker got 2) sweed will be a steeler next year.

In the mean time (while he's inactive), look for Bens completion percentage to improve. :chuckle:

OX1947
09-29-2009, 07:32 PM
That drop was so bad, this is the only way to reward it.

Edman
09-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Well, we have another bust on our hands.

First Davis, now Sweed. I hope we can salvage it with Mendy.

Carolina Steelers
09-29-2009, 07:46 PM
In favor of Shaun McDonald. Also Mendenhall not being prepared during practice last week. poor week of practice

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81305632&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

ricksteelers55
09-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Well, we have another bust on our hands.

First Davis, now Sweed. I hope we can salvage it with Mendy.

I think it's all between Mendy's hands...

mesaSteeler
09-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Tomlin threatens to bench struggling Sweed
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_645615.html#
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The competition for the No. 3 spot at wide receiver is over.

And the loser of the battle that had been waged since the start of training camp may not even be in the Steelers' immediate plans.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday that Limas Sweed could be dropped from the rotation at wide receiver because of hands that can make concrete look soft by comparison.

Sweed couldn't hang onto what would have been a 34-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in the third quarter of Sunday's 23-20 loss to the Bengals.

Drops have plagued the second-year wide receiver, and Tomlin is admittedly concerned about the miscues having a lingering effect on Sweed.

"He's quite frankly not catching the football when he's deep down the field, and he's got some tape that shows that," Tomlin said at his weekly news conference. "If and when he gets the next opportunity to make a similar play, he better make it."

Sweed, a second-round draft pick in 2008, may not get an opportunity to redeem himself Sunday against San Diego.

Tomlin said he will consider putting sure-handed veteran Shaun McDonald ahead of Sweed on the depth chart. Such a move would make Sweed the No. 5 wide receiver the Steelers have only been dressing four wideouts for games and it would mark a precipitous fall for the former University of Texas star.

Sweed had been splitting time with rookie Mike Wallace at No. 3 wide receiver, but Wallace is coming off his first 100-yard receiving game. Sweed, meanwhile, has just one catch for 5 yards in two games.

He is not the only member of his draft class that needs to show Tomlin something.

Running back Rashard Mendenhall made enough mistakes in practice last week that Tomlin didn't play the 2008 first-round pick on offense in Cincinnati.

"If Hines Ward misses an assignment on a Thursday, you kind of move on. Young guys have to earn that opportunity," Tomlin said. "They have to make coaches comfortable with their ability to execute details of their assignment. They need to make the other guys in the huddle very comfortable with their ability to execute details of the assignments. He didn't do that to my satisfaction last week."

Tomlin said Mendenhall is not in his doghouse. But he made it clear that he wants to see a more focused Mendenhall as the Steelers get ready for the Chargers.

"If he plays above the line in preparation for the game," Tomlin said, "he'll be given an opportunity to play for us."

It is not quite as clear with Sweed, who had just six catches for 64 yards as a rookie but appeared to make significant progress during training camp and preseason practice.

There is no questioning his talent, and the fact that at 6-foot-4 Sweed provides a nice target for Roethlisberger. He has shown an ability to get open, but the problems have occurred when Sweed has had to finish plays.

He dropped a deep ball that would have gone for a touchdown against the Ravens in last season's AFC title game. Against the Bengals, Sweed broke free in the middle of the end zone and appeared to catch Roethlisberger's pass.

The ball, however, squirted out his grasp as Sweed fell to the turf.

"At the end of the day, I can't go out there and make plays for him," Ward said when asked what he can do to help Sweed. "His playmaking ability has got to turn on. We've got to keep working and tell Limas he's got to take advantage of the opportunities you get and keep it moving."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Shellshock
09-29-2009, 11:25 PM
I say if Tomlin sits Sweed, he may be called up to the carpet.

Galax Steeler
09-30-2009, 03:54 AM
Maybe this is what Sweed needs to go to the bench and think about the mistakes he is making. We can't afford for him to keep dropping those kind of balls.

Wallace showed last week why he should be the no.3 receiver over Sweed. It looks like he can hang on to the ball and run good routes. He even caught a deep ball that Sweed could not. So hopefully this will put a fire under him.

HometownGal
09-30-2009, 04:26 AM
I'm high on McDonald, so let's see what he can bring to the O. :tt03:

As for Sweed - maybe this time off will cause him to reflect on his play (or lack thereof) and he'll come back better and stronger IF he can get his spot back.

Lock Down
09-30-2009, 06:04 AM
I'm high on McDonald, so let's see what he can bring to the O. :tt03:

As for Sweed - maybe this time off will cause him to reflect on his play (or lack thereof) and he'll come back better and stronger IF he can get his spot back.

I believe McDonald could be dependable. Though it was a while back i remember Shaun being decent for the Rams.

I hope to see Sweed bounce back; not ready to give up on him. Not sure how he will react to the benching and added pressure; hopefully he has the mentality to be able to accept the challenge and progress.

The_WARDen
09-30-2009, 06:39 AM
Tomlin stated the obvious. NOW we may be able to criticize the bum on this board.

SteelMember
09-30-2009, 08:07 AM
I think it's all between Mendy's hands...
:huh: all IN mendy's hands, or all between mendy's ears?
I say if Tomlin sits Sweed, he may be called up to the carpet.
not familiar with "called up to the carpet". :hunch:
I'm high on McDonald's, so let's see what he can bring to the O.
I've heard of people selling "things" through the drive thru, but I don't think your supposed to tell. :smoker: :chuckle:

As far as Sweed sitting, I'd be fine with that. McDonald showed in pre-season that he was dependable. I think the only reason he didn't make the active roster, is because the coaches thought Sweed would bring more opportunities for that homerun play. Which imo, he does. He just needs to finish.

If he sits, he will know that the coach has lost confidence, so maybe he will be motivated to play better. I don't know what more he needs, but maybe.

I also think Sweed may be a rhythm player. He needs a few plays before he warms up to the game. Problem is, that's not a luxury in the NFL. If you only get one ball thrown your way...you gotta make the catch.

Get your head on straight and play football. :tt03:

4xSBChamps
09-30-2009, 08:12 AM
Maybe this is what Sweed needs to go to the bench and think about the mistakes he is making. We can't afford for him to keep dropping those kind of balls.

Wallace showed last week why he should be the no.3 receiver over Sweed. It looks like he can hang on to the ball and run good routes. He even caught a deep ball that Sweed could not. So hopefully this will put a fire under him.

..... REGARDLESS of what the depth-charts & coaching staff may say in-public, it is obvious that Wallace can be depended-upon & entrusted to catch the balls that Sweed can't or won't, and he already IS, in-fact, the 3rd WR on this offense

:drink:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/TV%20shows/JoeFriday.jpg

..... just-the-facts.....

revefsreleets
09-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Wallace was a surprise I don't think ANYONE saw coming. That being said, McDonald should have been ahead of Sweed on the depth chart to begin with, so this is basically just correcting an earlier mistake...

steelreserve
09-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Ahh well. With Wallace playing his ass off the way he is, this barely even matters. The #4 receiver in our offense is really more like the #5 receiver, since Miller or Moore usually fit in somewhere between #2 and #4 depending on what play it is. The real question that mattered was whether we were going to have a good #3 guy or not, and I couldn't be happier with the way that turned out.

AllD
09-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Wallace was a surprise I don't think ANYONE saw coming. That being said, McDonald should have been ahead of Sweed on the depth chart to begin with, so this is basically just correcting an earlier mistake...

Tomlin was giving Sweed every possible chance for the long-term and the fact that Sweed has a bigger contract. You normally don't sit the higher paid players, however in this case Sweed failed to earn his check.

McDonald looks really dependable. These decisions were supposed to be made in the pre-season, but Tomlin waiting on Sweed may have cost us a game.

I just hope that Mendy doesn't cough up the ball in a critical situation and do the same.

BB wants that fast, large target that Sweed could have been, but it isn't working out. Maybe he would make a better CB. Wallace is a lucky surprise so far and he may be the solution that nobody was expecting. Sweed's problem is all in his mind. The hands aren't in synch with the brain.:banging:

Rek
09-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Saying that:

Mendenhall > Sweed

Is like saying:

Shaving your Dad's ass > Your Mom's bikini line

T&B fan
09-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Sweed, who had just six catches for 64 yards as a rookie ... any one know how many drops or thrown too ? this yr hes 1 and 1 for 5 yrds I think .

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-30-2009, 06:08 PM

That will be our luck.

Lets face it... Hes 2 passes away from being a star and a player everyone loves. (If he catches the ball at the Ravens game, and If he catches the ball in the Bengals Game)....Hero both times.....

AllD
09-30-2009, 06:37 PM
If Holmes drops both passes in the end zone in the SB, then he and BB are in the dog house. There is a fine line between success and failure in the NFL. You have to be razor sharp and a step ahead of the opponents at all times. Look at the difference with and without #43.

TackleMeBen
09-30-2009, 06:53 PM
andy reid benched mcnabb during a game, and the next time out mcnabb played much better. maybe this will help sweed, i just think there are too many things going with this team. i hope they can get fixed.

STEELTOWNBEATDOWN
09-30-2009, 09:46 PM
You guys are looking way too far into this. Remember when sweed dropped the pass in the AFCG? The ball slipped out of his hands, but let me get to my point. Against the bengals, sweed indeed caught the ball. but the mistake he made was his fall. It is a very LITTLE mistake that can be coached overnight. What im sayin is he didnt initially drop the ball like in the AFCG, so he making progress. The whole body control when he hits the ground is a very small problem that he will get through i believe. Whenever he does do whatever you all want him to do, he will contribute to making holmes expendable when holmes' contract is up, Don't forget we will have wallace too.

P.S: I never see any of our other receivers get as open as sweed does.

tony hipchest
09-30-2009, 10:25 PM

i did. during his camp i even posted a great supporting article.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=37780&highlight=ross+tucker

i was sure had he gone to a team with a good qb and w/o a legitimate #2 (or even #1) wr, he would easilly be the next "eddie royal" or "desean jackson".

on the flipside, i am sure that if washington or buffalo had drafted sweed over malcom jenkins or james kelly, sweed wouldve already gone through his learning curve and blown both of those stiffs away by now.

if holmes and ward were to both go down with injuries, i certainly wouldnt be throwing in the towel and calling for sweeds head.

like many steelers draft picks, i really think wallace and sweed are just "victims" of being buried in the depth chart.

i need to see sweed or mendenhall as an actual starter before i can declare them a bust.

as for wallace taking a roster spot, i think its s. holmes with his impending contract negotiation, that needs to be more worried than sweed.

jjpro11
09-30-2009, 10:37 PM
i say give McDonald a shot.. it seems like there is always one or two vets picked up in free agency that come in and make a surprise impact for us. last year it was McHugh and Moore.

steelrush
10-01-2009, 03:25 AM
Some more on Sweed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81305632&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

It's happening, it's happening.:dancing:

FacemeIke
10-01-2009, 11:51 AM
McDonald should have been ahead of him in the first place

revefsreleets
10-02-2009, 09:25 AM
The reason Sweed is always so wide open is the defense knows their best defense is to leave him wide open...the more open he is, the more likely he'll drop the ball.

Am I joking? I don't know...but can you DISPROVE my theory? It's 2 for 2 so far...

markymarc
10-03-2009, 12:00 PM
While I am not quite ready to throw Sweed under the bus, he is getting pretty close. Until he is ready to catch the football consistently then let McDonald play.

STEELERS'CHICK0609
10-03-2009, 12:10 PM
That wouldn't be a bad thing, the kid's clumsy!

4xSBChamps
10-03-2009, 06:11 PM
The reason Sweed is always so wide open is the defense knows their best defense is to leave him wide open...the more open he is, the more likely he'll drop the ball.

Am I joking? I don't know...but can you DISPROVE my theory? It's 2 for 2 so far...

"..... Clifford Franklin got moves.....

http://l.yimg.com/eb/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/warner_brothers/the_replacements/orlando_jones/replacements.jpg

... even Clifford Franklin ain't never seen!!!"

stb_steeler
10-03-2009, 06:52 PM
You guys are looking way too far into this. Remember when sweed dropped the pass in the AFCG? The ball slipped out of his hands, but let me get to my point. Against the bengals, sweed indeed caught the ball. but the mistake he made was his fall. It is a very LITTLE mistake that can be coached overnight. What im sayin is he didnt initially drop the ball like in the AFCG, so he making progress. The whole body control when he hits the ground is a very small problem that he will get through i believe. Whenever he does do whatever you all want him to do, he will contribute to making holmes expendable when holmes' contract is up, Don't forget we will have wallace too.

P.S: I never see any of our other receivers get as open as sweed does.

How long does it take to teach a WR to catch a ball. Most WR do it naturally, you have to be ready to catch a ball at different positions all the time. Or they wouldnt be a WR in the first place. Those pass's to him were very catchable balls. 2nd year he should be over that problem. Maybe go back to the sandlot and start over.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
10-03-2009, 07:20 PM
I like the idea of training him to be a CB. He is fast and can run routes well, he just can't catch worth a flip.

steel striker
10-03-2009, 07:25 PM
"..... Clifford Franklin got moves.....

http://l.yimg.com/eb/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/warner_brothers/the_replacements/orlando_jones/replacements.jpg

... even Clifford Franklin ain't never seen!!!"

My god that is exactly what I was thinking! lol Don't throw it to stone hands.

4xSBChamps
10-03-2009, 07:31 PM
How long does it take to teach a WR to catch a ball.

+ tax..... call-me-crazy, but wouldn't that be one of the FIRST things required to play that position?

:noidea:

Preacher
10-03-2009, 07:52 PM
How long does it take to teach a WR to catch a ball. Most WR do it naturally, you have to be ready to catch a ball at different positions all the time. Or they wouldnt be a WR in the first place. Those pass's to him were very catchable balls. 2nd year he should be over that problem. Maybe go back to the sandlot and start over.

Maybe you should go back and watch teh video again. He CAUGHT the ball. The issue of him not CATCHING last year didn't show its head here. THIS TIME, as he came down, he had both hands on the ball, cradling up high on his chest. His ELBOW hit the ground first, jarring the ball loose.

Geez, time for the Sweed Effigy I guess. We all know he caused us to single-handedly lose two games this year.

steel striker
10-04-2009, 06:21 AM
I have not given up on this guy yet but, he is really on thin ice. I hope he gets another chance to prove himself but, this time catch the ball. The ball is your friend.....

steelerjim58
10-04-2009, 10:44 AM
While I have to wonder what the coaches are seeing in practice, for me I can't get to down on guys like Mendenhall and Sweed because they haven't been on the field enough to make a judgement. Sweeds drops are magnified by the fact he only gets thrown to once in a blue moon. It's a catch-22. He won't become confident if he's not on the field, and he won't get on the field if the coaches don't have confidence in him.

AllD
10-04-2009, 12:53 PM
You can either catch and hold onto the ball or you cannot. There is no room on the field for elite teams to train their WRs to perform a basic function at their position.