PDA

View Full Version : Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's Take

mesaSteeler
09-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's Take
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_645621.html#
By The Tribune-Review

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin weighs in on a number of different issues heading into this week's game.

The Steelers' red-zone offense:

We need to improve, and more specifically than the red zone itself, the goal-to-go situation of football, I think, is where it's most glaring. We had the football first-and-goal at the 10 or inside the 10 three times (against the Bengals) and we were one out of three. Not good enough. That will eventually get you beat when you don't stop people in the fourth quarter.

Chargers tight end Antonio Gates:

Antonio Gates is probably one of the best tight ends in the world. He's a matchup problem if you have a guy like Troy (Polamalu). Needless to say, when you don't have a guy like Troy in games like this, we've got to get in the lab a little bit in terms of how to slow this man down.

Why he opted for a field goal after the Steelers had moved the ball to the Bengals' 1-yard line on their first possession of the game:

I just wanted to take the points. We did a nice job of getting out of a negative situation to start the game when they had a nice kickoff return. We stopped them. We marched down the field. I wanted to make sure we got some points and moved on with a good vibe. I thought we did that. We built upon that as we moved forward, and three became 10. We just didn't finish the job.

The Steelers' pass rush against the Bengals:

I wasn't satisfied with the pressure. I thought (Carson Palmer) was able to stand comfortably in the pocket and deliver plays at significant moments. We've got to get better in regards to that.

The Tribune-Review can be reached at or .