PDA

View Full Version : Mangini flips a coin - Anderson will start

Fire Haley
09-30-2009, 11:07 AM
Derek Anderson Back in the Saddle Again

Derek Anderson will start Sunday’s game against the Bengals at the stadium. Coach Eric Mangini made the announcement Wednesday saying he is looking for improvement offensively.

Brady Quinn was benched in favor of Anderson to start the second half last Sunday at Baltimore. The Browns, who are off to their 3rd 0-3 start in 4 seasons have scored 1 offensive touchdown this season.

http://www.espncleveland.com/

--------------------------------

Call Cowher! Call Marty! Call Mooch! > Browns fans

jjpro11
09-30-2009, 11:24 AM
they are both horrible.. but it's probably the correct decision. i don't think Quinn has ever completed a pass beyond 15 yards. he's a college QB and nothing more.

Fire Haley
09-30-2009, 11:39 AM
A couple weeks ago - Mangini quote, "I will stay with my QB once the decision is made".

ha

I'd say their QB decision is a yo-yo.....one QB just checks down to 2yd passes every play, the other can't wait to throw into triple coverage 45 yards downfield.

steelreserve
09-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Well, this obviously isn't going to get any better until the offseason.

Sorry it happened again, Cleveland.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-30-2009, 12:05 PM
People want Mangini's head now. A lot of folks are calling into the radio show saying they truly feel ashamed to be Browns fans.

Lerner needs to cut him loose if the rest of the season looks this bad. Which, knowing the Browns, it will.

revefsreleets
09-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Mangina destroyed Quinn....sorry, but you don't pull a kid after 6 throws. The kid has all the tools, but he is playing for a bunch of nitwits. They should trade him to Miami...

DA sucks open ass. He'll lead the Browns straight to an 0-16 season.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Was it even this bad under Butch Davis?

Eric Mangini's nickname in Cleveland:

"Defensive assistant on some other team next year"

fansince'76
09-30-2009, 01:27 PM
One would think they'd have learned after the first Belicheat disciple they hired.....

KeiselPower99
09-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Any bets on how long before he benches Anderson and brings in Ratliff? They missed up big time by hiring Mangini.

TackleMeBen
09-30-2009, 01:34 PM
so now the browns can become the lions of the NFL..lol

Edman
09-30-2009, 01:54 PM
And that's why the Browns are the Browns.

Why did the Mangenius think that this would work?

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Was it even this bad under Butch Davis?

Eric Mangini's nickname in Cleveland:

"Defensive assistant on some other team next year"

Nein, Davis seems Vince Lombardi like in comparison. At least he had a competitive team, a playoff apperance and a victory over Pittsburgh.

Even Crennel is looking good in comparision right about now.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-30-2009, 02:45 PM
And that's why the Browns are the Browns.
Why did the Mangenius think that this would work?

See and it annoys me that is what my football team is now reduced to.

The Browns used to be awesome. They used to be a contender and one of the most elite franchises in all of sports.

But ever since they've left and came back, they've been a joke.

F-Modell. He's looking less and less deserving of an HOF induction than when he first pulled the crap he did in '95.

And yes, I'll still be bitter about him. Until my team gives me a reason to not be miserable every sunday, I'll still curse his name in vain.

revefsreleets
09-30-2009, 02:52 PM
The players at least LIKED Crennel. Watch Mangina on the sidelines...players avoid him like the plague.

They took a bad thing and made it much MUCH worse...

Fire Haley
09-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Even Crennel is looking good in comparision right about now.

Now that's funny!

You might like this:

Mangini: Worst coaching hire ever?

I cannot stand what Eric Mangini has done to the Browns, the team of my childhood. I cannot stand the lack of respect he has shown for the team's history, the Mickey Mouse game he plays with quarterbacks, the amazing knack he has for getting his players to not play hard for him or the stupid fines he hands out like he's Principal Vernon from "The Breakfast Club." Don't mess with the bull, young man, you'll get the horns.

But here's the thing: Based on the Twitter responses I've seen ... I'm actually starting to believe that I'm right. I'm actually starting to believe that Mangini really was the worst head coach hire in 25 years. The responses have mostly been to list other coaches who were worse hires than Mangini. But you know what? I don't think any of those hires WERE worse than Mangini. Remember:

1. Mangini had just been fired in New York, where he had done a terrible job. He had a losing record. His team had collapsed down the stretch, he had alienated his players, he was a pain in the neck to deal with. Point is: He'd already PROVEN how much damage he could do as a coach.

2. He came right out of the school of Bill Belichick ... and that didn't work THE FIRST TIME in Cleveland. It seems to me that Cleveland is a working-class town and Browns fans want a working-class coach -- not some pompous know-it-all who doesn't feel like he should have to explain to the commoners what he's doing.

3. What had he ever done to convince anyone he could be a head coach in the first place? Why, because he was a defensive coordinator for the Patriots under Belichick for one season? The Browns had JUST HIRED Romeo Crennel, who was ALSO defensive coordinator under Belichick. Attention Cleveland Browns owners, here's a good hint: BILL BELICHICK IS HIS OWN DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR.

4. Basically the first thing Mangini did -- first thing -- was have them tear down a mural of great Cleveland Browns players on the wall in the Browns offices. Now, there are differing opinions about what really happened, whose fault it really was, does it all matter, etc. You know what? The Cleveland Browns have never been to a Super Bowl. Never. Not one. But Browns fans still have a whole lot of pride. Browns fans grow up on a glorious history. If you allow something stupid like that to happen on your watch ... just a horrendous hire.

Bobby Petrino, Art Shell, Rich Kotite: all bad hires, but not worse than Eric Mangini

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/joe_posnanski/09/29/mangini/index.html#ixzz0Sd8ziyNG

AllD
09-30-2009, 07:19 PM
A worse crash and burn at this time is Nick Saban who is still hated in Miami. That A-hole lied to everybody saying he would not go back to college coaching, denied it several times, then I think he landed in Alabama to their cheering fans. He finished off the Dolphins which led to their 1-15 record two seasons ago. He even looks like a crook.

Mangini still has a season or two to bury the Browns and take years to recover. He will eventually be run out of town. He is arrogant and disliked among everybody including his players.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
09-30-2009, 07:29 PM
A worse crash and burn at this time is Nick Saban who is still hated in Miami. That A-hole lied to everybody saying he would not go back to college coaching, denied it several times, then I think he landed in Alabama to their cheering fans. He finished off the Dolphins which led to their 1-15 record two seasons ago. He even looks like a crook.

Mangini still has a season or two to bury the Browns and take years to recover. He will eventually be run out of town. He is arrogant and disliked among everybody including his players.

Ironically Saban is from the same coaching tree.

He'll be gone. If this team keeps preforming like this you can take that to the bank.

XxKnightxX
09-30-2009, 07:44 PM
A couple weeks ago - Mangini quote, "I will stay with my QB once the decision is made".

ha

I'd say their QB decision is a yo-yo.....one QB just checks down to 2yd passes every play, the other can't wait to throw into triple coverage 45 yards downfield.

LMAO. Couldnt have said it any better man. Amen to that lol:applaudit::applaudit:

Crow-Magnon
09-30-2009, 07:44 PM
See and it annoys me that is what my football team is now reduced to.

The Browns used to be awesome. They used to be a contender and one of the most elite franchises in all of sports.

But ever since they've left and came back, they've been a joke.

F-Modell. He's looking less and less deserving of an HOF induction than when he first pulled the crap he did in '95.

And yes, I'll still be bitter about him. Until my team gives me a reason to not be miserable every sunday, I'll still curse his name in vain.

If I were you, I'd be more pissed at Al Lerner. Not only did he help Modell move the team, he then bought the "new" Cleveland Browns franchise and put it on its road to mediocrity. Funny that he's treated like a saint, yet it was a purely selfish move on his part to assist Modell in relocating the Browns to Baltimore in order to put a new Browns franchise in his hands. Just as Modell was selfish in his vote against putting an expansion team in Baltimore (which had the best financing and stadium package by far amongst St. Louis, Charlotte and Jacksonville). He had no desire to let an expansion team be placed in a city he knew would support a team, when he could relocate there after expansion to Baltimore was denied. A fact that Jacksonville is amply demonstrating this year.

You hate Modell; I hate Irsay. It's understandable. At least Irsay is dead.

SteelCityMan786
09-30-2009, 08:48 PM
they are both horrible.. but it's probably the correct decision. i don't think Quinn has ever completed a pass beyond 15 yards. he's a college QB and nothing more.

He should be earning what I call the Quinn Cap.

$0

He should be paying teams for even taking a chance on him. He was an overrated College QB, and he's the most overrated QB in the history of the NFL's Salary Cap Era.

KeiselPower99
10-01-2009, 12:57 AM
I dont understand the thought process of the Browns when they hired Mangini. You had just fired a guy that was from the same system and you bring in his replacement in New England. I could understand the thinking of he runs the same system and they was 10-6 the season before. But could they have not waited for Rex Ryan or Todd Haley?

revefsreleets
10-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Or Bill Cowher? That's who they really want...maybe this was just a "place mat" hiring, somebody to sit there and occupy space until Cowher is ready to coach. he is, after all, who they covet the most.

As for Lerner, I think his original intentions were solid. He was modeling the organization after the 49ers of the 80's...only problem was that philosophy stopped working in the 90's when the league evolved and moved on...

Ohio Steeler
10-01-2009, 09:13 AM
another one bites the dust.... oh wait dont they all bite the dust in cleveland :rofl:

They should make Let The Bodies Hit The Floor by Drowning Pool there theme song since it seems whoever puts on that ugly Brown and orange kills there Carrer

RoethlisBURGHer
10-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Or Bill Cowher? That's who they really want...maybe this was just a "place mat" hiring, somebody to sit there and occupy space until Cowher is ready to coach. he is, after all, who they covet the most.

As for Lerner, I think his original intentions were solid. He was modeling the organization after the 49ers of the 80's...only problem was that philosophy stopped working in the 90's when the league evolved and moved on...

Cowher told Lerner that he had no interest whatsoever in coaching the Cleveland Browns before Lerner started the latest coaching "search".

For some reason he totally fell for Mangina when he got word that the Jets canned him. There was nobody else he wanted.

Now as a coach your players don't have to like you, but they should respect you. Most of the Jets players didn't like OR respect Eric Mangini.

So now the Browns have a head coach who is only into his fourth week of his first season in Cleveland and he is close to losing the locker room, and he has probably already lost Quinn and some of the other guys in the locker room.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
10-02-2009, 01:05 AM

Cowher is not going to take the job. I'd be shocked quite frankly. And really, I think it has nothing to do with loyalty to the Rooney's, not wanting to step on Pittsburgh toes, or hating Cleveland.

I really think he's either done with coaching or just waiting for a perfect opportunity (AKA Carolina) to fall into his lap. Cleveland, even though he's said before he has a lot of respect for the Browns and has been seen on eBay actually signing Browns helmets (believe it or not), is not that opportunity. It's light years away from being a contender and quite frankly is going to take at the very least 2-3 years to build to be at least a playoff team.

I'd love to see it happen though and would fully support such a move. He doesn't even have to coach really, even being a F.O./President type of thing would work out great IMO. If I were the Browns I'd even offer him a share of the team if he'd be interested.

I'd really like us to get Shanahan though, as a realistic choice. I think the zone-blocking scheme could work wonders in Cleveland.

Just no more Belichick disciples please. :banging:

tony hipchest
10-02-2009, 01:08 AM
unfortunately shanahan wouldnt touch the browns with a 10 foot pole. theres only a small handfull of teams he will look at, and insiders say washington and dallas are 2 of them.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
10-02-2009, 01:20 AM
unfortunately shanahan wouldnt touch the browns with a 10 foot pole. theres only a small handfull of teams he will look at, and insiders say washington and dallas are 2 of them.

hmmm...well..that rules him out.

damn shame too.

Gruden is another name that stands out, but I'm a bit fearful that he'll just be Mangini pt. 2 from what I've heard from people from Tampa.

Dungy seems like a guy that would intrigue me. But, I think he may be in the same boat as Cowher. Would be ironic though, a former Steelers ST player, coaching/managing the Browns, the reverse of Cowher's situation with the Steelers.

Schottenheimer I keeping say is a top pick of mine. I would like anyone off of his tree quite frankly (other than Herm Edwards :chuckle:)

X-Terminator
10-02-2009, 01:35 AM
Seriously, I feel bad for Browns fans. They are loyal to the bone, and deserve better than this.

MasterOfPuppets
10-02-2009, 03:47 AM
after dallas chokes this year, phillips will be canned... bank on shanny in big D.

revefsreleets
10-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Correction: Cowher told Lerner he has no interest in coaching AT THIS TIME. He HAS stated in the past that the Browns job is one he IS interested in. It could still happen...

Anyway, Tim Couch chimes in...I agree with him, and who would know better about having a career with potential destroyed by a numbskulled coaching staff?

http://www.ohio.com/sports/63168877.html

Former Browns quarterback Couch defends Quinn and Anderson

By Marla Ridenour
Beacon Journal sports writer

POSTED: 06:22 p.m. EDT, Oct 01, 2009

BEREA: Former Browns quarterback Tim Couch believes that Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson can succeed in the NFL.

But perhaps not with the Browns, especially if the two are subjected to the same mishandling that he and Kelly Holcomb experienced six years ago.

Couch joined the ranks of former NFL players decrying the lack of talent on the 2009 Browns, winless going into the home game Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals. And Couch thinks that way even while sticking up for coach Eric Mangini.

''You could put any quarterback on that team and he wouldn't be successful,'' Couch said in a telephone interview Wednesday night. ''It's tough to coach a quarterback in that type environment.

''They've got a good coaching staff; they're going in the right direction. Coach Mangini was pretty successful with the Jets. But he's in a tough situation, too. It's like Butch Davis and Chris Palmer when they took over, the talent level as a team wasn't there.''

The first overall pick in 1999, Couch splits time between homes in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and Lexington, Ky., with his wife, Heather, and their two sons, Chase, 4, and Brady, 6 months. When it was suggested that his sons' names sound like quarterbacks, Couch said, ''That's what we were going for.''

While occasionally serving as an analyst for University of Kentucky football, Couch keeps up with the Browns through former tight end Aaron Shea. Couch is godfather to Shea's oldest daughter and visited the family in Westlake in August, attending a preseason game.

The 2007 season, when the Browns went 10-6 and fell a game shy of the playoffs, convinced Couch that his old team was finally breaking out of the doldrums.

''Derek Anderson went to the Pro Bowl, they had a good offensive line, Jamal Lewis was on a roll, they had good receivers, Braylon [Edwards] had a good year,'' Couch said. ''All of a sudden last year, they went backwards.''

Quarterback switch

While the team struggles to rebuild, Couch cautioned Mangini about going down the same road as Davis, who played musical quarterbacks with Couch and Holcomb in 2003.

Mangini started Quinn, the 22nd pick in the 2007 draft, for the first three games, but lifted him at halftime Sunday at Baltimore when the Browns trailed 20-0. On Wednesday, Mangini announced that he was installing Anderson as the starter this weekend, but he gave no indication how long Anderson's stint would last.

To Couch, that sounded reminiscent of what he and Holcomb went through in 2003. Holcomb started the first three games, then suffered what Davis deemed ''a teeny, tiny'' fracture of his right fibula at San Francisco. Couch took over for five games, but was replaced late in the third quarter against San Diego, then sprained his right thumb the following week in a start at New England. Holcomb was in command until Game 13 against St. Louis, when he was yanked after two second-quarter interceptions. He sat on the bench behind Couch the rest of the season.

The next year, Jeff Garcia took over at quarterback and Couch was out of football, suffering from a torn rotator cuff, bicep and labrum in his right shoulder. He said he tore his rotator cuff again when he was about to sign with Indianapolis in 2005.

Couch said Holcomb has visited him at his home in Kentucky and he plays in Holcomb's annual golf tournament in Murfreesboro, Tenn. They still discuss 2003.

''We talk all the time what a miserable situation it was and we only had to deal with it one season,'' Couch said. ''You almost had to play a perfect game to keep your job. As a quarterback, you can't say, 'If I have a bad game, I'm not going to be playing.' You've got to play loose. You can't do it with that on your mind, knowing you're going to be benched.

''It's a different position than any other position on the field. Once a coach starts going back and forth and the team is unsure, that's a bad situation. In my opinion, nothing ruins a locker room like a quarterback controversy. The team needs a guy they can count on. Once a quarterback loses his luster, being the guy, being the leader, gets pulled out of a game, it's a pretty tough situation in the locker room.''

Advice from Couch

Quinn is 1-5 as a starter over two seasons, Anderson 13-14. Couch worries that Quinn's benching could damage his confidence.

''It definitely does,'' Couch said. ''A couple bad games and all of a sudden the job is taken away ... you have to have good people around you to keep your confidence up. I've been there, I know what he's going through.''

Couch also feared the ramifications of the constant pounding that Browns quarterbacks take. Quinn was sacked nine times in the first two games and 10 times in three. But that's nothing compared to Couch, who absorbed 56 sacks as a rookie, 51 when he was healthy again in his third season and 166 for his career.

''David Carr had the same situation with an expansion team [Houston], he was beat to death,'' Couch said. ''You think you're going to be a great player, but once you start getting hit like that, you get a little gun-shy. It happens to everyone.''

Ironically, the Browns have the same quarterbacks coach, Carl Smith, that Couch did for the final three years of his five years in the NFL.

''He's a great football coach who has been in the NFL a long time,'' Couch said of Smith, starting his 20th season. ''He teaches the game really well, makes you understand it. He had an unfortunate situation, dealing with a team that's never been good enough to make a quarterback be successful.''

Couch said Anderson ''is certainly capable of getting the job done.'' And speaking from his painful experience, he had some advice for Quinn.

''Always believe in yourself and your ability,'' Couch said. ''Know you're good, you're put in a bad situation.''

Marla Ridenour can be reached at mridenour@thebeaconjournal.com. Read her Browns blog at http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/browns/. Follow the Browns on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/ABJ_Browns.

T.Richardson
10-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Correction: Cowher told Lerner he has no interest in coaching AT THIS TIME. He HAS stated in the past that the Browns job is one he IS interested in. It could still happen...

Anyway, Tim Couch chimes in...I agree with him, and who would know better about having a career with potential destroyed by a numbskulled coaching staff?

http://www.ohio.com/sports/63168877.html

Former Browns quarterback Couch defends Quinn and Anderson

By Marla Ridenour
Beacon Journal sports writer

POSTED: 06:22 p.m. EDT, Oct 01, 2009

BEREA: Former Browns quarterback Tim Couch believes that Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson can succeed in the NFL.

But perhaps not with the Browns, especially if the two are subjected to the same mishandling that he and Kelly Holcomb experienced six years ago.

Couch joined the ranks of former NFL players decrying the lack of talent on the 2009 Browns, winless going into the home game Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals. And Couch thinks that way even while sticking up for coach Eric Mangini.

''You could put any quarterback on that team and he wouldn't be successful,'' Couch said in a telephone interview Wednesday night. ''It's tough to coach a quarterback in that type environment.

''They've got a good coaching staff; they're going in the right direction. Coach Mangini was pretty successful with the Jets. But he's in a tough situation, too. It's like Butch Davis and Chris Palmer when they took over, the talent level as a team wasn't there.''

The first overall pick in 1999, Couch splits time between homes in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and Lexington, Ky., with his wife, Heather, and their two sons, Chase, 4, and Brady, 6 months. When it was suggested that his sons' names sound like quarterbacks, Couch said, ''That's what we were going for.''

While occasionally serving as an analyst for University of Kentucky football, Couch keeps up with the Browns through former tight end Aaron Shea. Couch is godfather to Shea's oldest daughter and visited the family in Westlake in August, attending a preseason game.

The 2007 season, when the Browns went 10-6 and fell a game shy of the playoffs, convinced Couch that his old team was finally breaking out of the doldrums.

''Derek Anderson went to the Pro Bowl, they had a good offensive line, Jamal Lewis was on a roll, they had good receivers, Braylon [Edwards] had a good year,'' Couch said. ''All of a sudden last year, they went backwards.''

Quarterback switch

While the team struggles to rebuild, Couch cautioned Mangini about going down the same road as Davis, who played musical quarterbacks with Couch and Holcomb in 2003.

Mangini started Quinn, the 22nd pick in the 2007 draft, for the first three games, but lifted him at halftime Sunday at Baltimore when the Browns trailed 20-0. On Wednesday, Mangini announced that he was installing Anderson as the starter this weekend, but he gave no indication how long Anderson's stint would last.

To Couch, that sounded reminiscent of what he and Holcomb went through in 2003. Holcomb started the first three games, then suffered what Davis deemed ''a teeny, tiny'' fracture of his right fibula at San Francisco. Couch took over for five games, but was replaced late in the third quarter against San Diego, then sprained his right thumb the following week in a start at New England. Holcomb was in command until Game 13 against St. Louis, when he was yanked after two second-quarter interceptions. He sat on the bench behind Couch the rest of the season.

The next year, Jeff Garcia took over at quarterback and Couch was out of football, suffering from a torn rotator cuff, bicep and labrum in his right shoulder. He said he tore his rotator cuff again when he was about to sign with Indianapolis in 2005.

Couch said Holcomb has visited him at his home in Kentucky and he plays in Holcomb's annual golf tournament in Murfreesboro, Tenn. They still discuss 2003.

''We talk all the time what a miserable situation it was and we only had to deal with it one season,'' Couch said. ''You almost had to play a perfect game to keep your job. As a quarterback, you can't say, 'If I have a bad game, I'm not going to be playing.' You've got to play loose. You can't do it with that on your mind, knowing you're going to be benched.

''It's a different position than any other position on the field. Once a coach starts going back and forth and the team is unsure, that's a bad situation. In my opinion, nothing ruins a locker room like a quarterback controversy. The team needs a guy they can count on. Once a quarterback loses his luster, being the guy, being the leader, gets pulled out of a game, it's a pretty tough situation in the locker room.''

Advice from Couch

Quinn is 1-5 as a starter over two seasons, Anderson 13-14. Couch worries that Quinn's benching could damage his confidence.

''It definitely does,'' Couch said. ''A couple bad games and all of a sudden the job is taken away ... you have to have good people around you to keep your confidence up. I've been there, I know what he's going through.''

Couch also feared the ramifications of the constant pounding that Browns quarterbacks take. Quinn was sacked nine times in the first two games and 10 times in three. But that's nothing compared to Couch, who absorbed 56 sacks as a rookie, 51 when he was healthy again in his third season and 166 for his career.

''David Carr had the same situation with an expansion team [Houston], he was beat to death,'' Couch said. ''You think you're going to be a great player, but once you start getting hit like that, you get a little gun-shy. It happens to everyone.''

Ironically, the Browns have the same quarterbacks coach, Carl Smith, that Couch did for the final three years of his five years in the NFL.

''He's a great football coach who has been in the NFL a long time,'' Couch said of Smith, starting his 20th season. ''He teaches the game really well, makes you understand it. He had an unfortunate situation, dealing with a team that's never been good enough to make a quarterback be successful.''

Couch said Anderson ''is certainly capable of getting the job done.'' And speaking from his painful experience, he had some advice for Quinn.

''Always believe in yourself and your ability,'' Couch said. ''Know you're good, you're put in a bad situation.''

Marla Ridenour can be reached at mridenour@thebeaconjournal.com. Read her Browns blog at http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/browns/. Follow the Browns on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/ABJ_Browns.

I always though Tim Couch was a good QB, but I thnk his confidence was shot after the Browns fans heavily boo'ed him, I felt sorry when that happened...I think the same will happen with Anderson, werent they cheering when he got injured? Browns fans are loyal, but man are they brutal!