PDA

View Full Version : What To Do With SWEEEEED!

revefsreleets
09-30-2009, 02:13 PM
OK, there aren't many professions that pay millions of dollars, and I'm sort of guessing that, being an alum of Vince "I can't actually read" Young University, he's not equipped to be a CEO of a Fortune 500 Company, and I bet he can't act either. So the question becomes, what do we do with him? He sure as shit can't play WR in the NFL, so now what?

I came up with some ideas in the poll, but feel free to offer your own suggestions. No sense letting his 4 year 3.3 million dollar deal rot on the sidelines ala Duce "Sweatsuit" Staley...

The_WARDen
09-30-2009, 02:17 PM
OK, there aren't many professions that pay millions of dollars, and I'm sort of guessing that, being an alum of Vince "I can't actually read" Young University, he's not equipped to be a CEO of a Fortune 500 Company, and I bet he can't act either. So the question becomes, what do we do with him? He sure as shit can't play WR in the NFL, so now what?

I came up with some ideas in the poll, but feel free to offer your own suggestions. No sense letting his 4 year 3.3 million dollar deal rot on the sidelines ala Duce "Sweatsuit" Staley...

he could double as one of those guys holding the first down markers...they routinely have to drop the sticks when the players come their way. He's already got the dropping part mastered.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-30-2009, 02:38 PM
he could double as one of those guys holding the first down markers...they routinely have to drop the sticks when the players come their way. He's already got the dropping part mastered.

:rofl:

I voted to put him in the Steely McBeam outfit because I bet it's hot, sweaty, and smelly inside.....and the fans absolutely HATE him!

AllD
09-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Trade him to the Pirates for a few kegs of Iron City.

mulldog24
09-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Maybe first we let him try playing with some "STICKEM"!!! I'll bet he catches the ball then!!!:chuckle:

TackleMeBen
09-30-2009, 03:15 PM
i voted for steely mcbeam, bc it just sounded funny.

billybob
09-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Take his job away . Bench his sorry azz until he proves he can handle what it is we signed him for in the first place . Anyone can make mistakes , but usually they can be corrected . He has not shown any , or at least not that much improvement , if you will to warrent him keeping his job . He should have to pay the price . Could be exactly what he needs for a wake up call . He makes that wide open reception , and i see the score at the buzzer 27-23 , not 23 -20 . Sometimes you have to nip things in the bud . Some will argue he was not the reason we lossed that game ,but in my heart of hearts , i strongly believe , he makes that catch , and we leave Ohio with a comfortable 2-1 record , not a sapping 1-2 like we deal with now . I know that 2 losses are not the end of the world , we had 4 last year . The margine of error is closing rapidly . We must find the remedy right now ! No if's, ands , or but's .

Rek
09-30-2009, 03:19 PM
I feel absolutely no remorse for the guy. He brought it on himself.

Christian Snyder
09-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Let him sell beer and peanuts in the stands.:wink02::chuckle:

steelreserve
09-30-2009, 03:24 PM
suicide bomber against the Patriots

BlastFurnace
09-30-2009, 03:25 PM
At the beginning of the week, I said cut him.

I have changed my mind......

He let us down last week, but there were plenty of other reasons we lost that game. I'm sure he is more sick about this than we are as fans, but unfortunately, he is thinking too much instead of just playing.

He probably has buried himself on the bench this season and that is a shame because he has a ton of talent. But....he needs to just keep working hard and see what can be done when/if the opportunity arises.

Men of Steel
09-30-2009, 03:28 PM
yep. any scrutiny during training camp about wallace taking that third receiver spot.... just became answered this past sunday. :coffee:

billybob
09-30-2009, 03:30 PM
At the beginning of the week, I said cut him.

I have changed my mind......

He let us down last week, but there were plenty of other reasons we lost that game. I'm sure he is more sick about this than we are as fans, but unfortunately, he is thinking too much instead of just playing.

He probably has buried himself on the bench this season and that is a shame because he has a ton of talent. But....he needs to just keep working hard and see what can be done when/if the opportunity arises.

Exactly , my main point in my post boils down to ridin the pine might do wonders for him .

stillers4me
09-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Make him the new Official Sweatsuit Model of Pittsburgh Steelers. :sofunny:

tony hipchest
09-30-2009, 05:36 PM
so far his professional career is almost a mirror image of nate washingtons.

i think the steelers do exactly how they did with nate.

Preacher
09-30-2009, 07:57 PM

Yep. This kid has tons of talent, and tons of upside. People hate him because he dropped two TD passes.

Last years drop was simply game speed. This year, he catches the ball, and then his elbow hits the ground jaring the ball loose. From that, he learns to keep his elbows up a bit when falling down.

If he was making the same basic mistakes over and over... I'd be sick of him. But he is learning. He is now trackng the ball pretty well. I bet he doesn't go down elbow first next either.

Patience people. I know you all are wanting to break out your old Bradshaw in a noose effigies and put a Sweed Jersey on the doll, but patience.

billybob
09-30-2009, 07:58 PM

Sell him to another team ? Oh yeah , thats right cut him loose if he don't want what we are willing to pay for his missed touchdown receptions .

SteelersJW
09-30-2009, 08:02 PM
All I did this offseason was defend that son of a bitch and say, "it's alright, he's just needs to adjust to the NFL." I'm done now, I want that pansy off the team. He hasn't done shit for anybody. Hell, if I was 6'4" and could run a fast 40yd time, you'd be goddamn right I'd catch that ball. NO EXCUSE. Bring on McDonald!!!

ricksteelers55
09-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Yeah let's put the L on Sweed....he was the one allowing the Bengals offense to score the game winning TD with 14 sec left.

DAMN YOU Limas

seriously he isnt making the plays but like Tony said neither was Nate.In fact Nate dropped more pass in 1 season than Sweed will ever do.

the kid has talent...a lot of talent we benched him til he gets his play straight.

Til then...shaun mcdonald is money

billybob
09-30-2009, 08:06 PM
All I did this offseason was defend that son of a bitch and say, "it's alright, he's just needs to adjust to the NFL." I'm done now, I want that pansy off the team. He hasn't done shit for anybody. Hell, if I was 6'4" and could run a fast 40yd time, you'd be goddamn right I'd catch that ball. NO EXCUSE. Bring on McDonald!!!

Now that is a very strong opinion .

billybob
09-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Luckely we had the forsight to bring Mcdonald into camp , and we no what he can bring to the table . Ole mr. Sweed may have given him a chance to shine . I don't think that coach Mike is playing too much anymore where Sir Sweed is concerned . I can't say i blame him either . We have a division to win while we continue our quest .
The Chicago loss was tough to swallow , but it was not in our division . I have no doubt that we can continue on our mission , but at this point we may have to move on without Sweed in the line up .

Shoes
09-30-2009, 08:30 PM
I still say SWEEEEEEEEED is going to be a great WR. I'm sure willing to give him more time to develop.

Big7BenHOF
09-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Make him the new Official Sweatsuit Model of Pittsburgh Steelers. :sofunny:

LMFAO!!!

I was also one of the people who stuck up for Sweed, reminding everyone of Santonio's rookie year, but I just don't know now...

Two dropped TD passes...

I saw we put both Mike Wallace and Shaun McDonald ahead of him on the depth chart until he can prove he's got that spot.

tony hipchest
09-30-2009, 08:46 PM
sweed and washington both did virtually nothing in their first year. (neither did rod smith for the broncos).

they did each have a memorable play in the championship game (sweeds block and nates td) and each earned a ring as rookies.

they each entered their 2nd season as the favorite for the #3 wr position (each playing behind a sb mvp).

they each had a critical drop in the endzone in week 3 for a devastating loss to the bungles.

nate was the scapegoat for 3 ben interceptions and a r. colclough (?) muffed punt. steelers lose 28-30 and washingtons td wouldnt have even tied the game.

sweed dropped a td that wouldve extended an already existing lead.

both were forever in steeler nations doghouse.

however nate went on to be one of the most productive #3 wr's in the league the next 2 years, earn another superbowl, put up a ton of highlight catches on the SB champion season DVD, and earn a lucrative contract.

i dont care if one went to tiffin or the championship longhorns. they are both the same now. young players who have made a squad, are buried on the depth chart and need to make the most of every opportunity, and cut their teeth.

sweed wont be handed nothing just because he was a 2nd round pick, just like nate wasnt cut just because he was an UDFA.

devilsdancefloor
09-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Luckely we had the forsight to bring Mcdonald into camp , and we no what he can bring to the table . Ole mr. Sweed may have given him a chance to shine . I don't think that coach Mike is playing too much anymore where Sir Sweed is concerned . I can't say i blame him either . We have a division to win while we continue our quest .
The Chicago loss was tough to swallow , but it was not in our division . I have no doubt that we can continue on our mission , but at this point we may have to move on without Sweed in the line up .

i find it really ODD you defend with everything you have the Oline, but a WR you throw under a bus....

Psyychoward86
09-30-2009, 09:37 PM
I LOL'd at people hating on him when it's only his 2nd year. At least he's showing potential. Some positions such as WR or QB often take time for development. During that development, they still have to be able to show flashes of greatness. Sweed is at least doing that. Don't lose hope. I'm willing to bet that a lot of you would be easier on him if we had won that game.

HometownGal
09-30-2009, 09:39 PM
I couldn't vote because none of those choices applied. I vote to give him another shot and if he can't cut the mustard, buy him some tweezers so he can get the bench spinters out of his hiney or simply release him.

billybob
09-30-2009, 09:56 PM
i find it really ODD you defend with everything you have the Oline, but a WR you throw under a bus....

It is really quite simple , " drillin me " , the o-line , or excuse me , "MACH V " Came through and helped to bring a # 6 into our house . They have actually become even more improved . Has SWEED ? Yea, now what you little "call me out JERK " . Lay off now please . Sweed has not proved anything what so ever to me , that he can be the guy that we can go to when we need him . Honestly , he has proved quite the opposite . YOU can actually #$#@%^@&^$@@^$ my azz!!!!

rich4eagle
09-30-2009, 10:07 PM

Actually, I saw the play, and indeed since he was down and in posession in the end zone..........I question whether it should have been a catch. In my view it was a catch because possesion in the end zone is final

meanwhile the real issue is playing prevent defense which guarantees losing and 'Tomlin has done this too many times inckluding twice already this year

billybob
09-30-2009, 10:18 PM
I've had enough of the "SWEED SUCKS" threads .....even though he has sucked for two years straight ! I'm going back to the "MACH V " threads . At least they have some revelence to them ! Improvement breeds regognition . No improve ....no regognize
What you say now , dance floor with the DEvil ?

Galax Steeler
10-01-2009, 03:45 AM
I say he needs to be benched for a while and let him think about it. But I did vote to let him be and escape goat and let people throw stuff at him.

sixstringlass
10-01-2009, 03:51 AM
Let's trade him to the Lions for the Larry Foote guy.... ;)

Aussie_steeler
10-01-2009, 05:34 AM
I say dress him up as a scapegoat and throw Sh#t at him. Why?? because that is exactly what is happening here at the moment.

Sit him on the bench and when the next loss comes along ( and it will) we came find him a new scapegoat to join him on the bench so he doesnt get lonely.

The true measure of the 2009 season will be the number of scapegoats we have accumulated throughout the season and how much crap has collected on and around them. Can I vote for 6 feet of crap and 5 scapegoats? ( one RB, one WR, One kicker, One O-lineman and one DB)

Steelers & I
10-01-2009, 05:35 AM
Trade his A$$ while he still has value. It won't be long before the rest of the league figures out that he's a BUM! Trade Timmons while your at it before his injury prone A$$ gets hurt again. Kendrell Bell all over again with this guy, you'll see.

stillers4me
10-01-2009, 05:46 AM
Trade his A$$ while he still has value. It won't be long before the rest of the league figures out that he's a BUM! Trade Timmons while your at it before his injury prone A$$ gets hurt again. Kendrell Bell all over again with this guy, you'll see.

I don't thnk many teams see much value in him at the current time. JMO :coffee:

Steelers & I
10-01-2009, 05:52 AM
I don't thnk many teams see much value in him at the current time. JMO :coffee:

Probably not but if he keeps drop passes, the Steelers won't even be able to get a seventh round draft pick for him. I think that they could possibly get a 3rd round pick for him right now.

fat4jc
10-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Yep. This kid has tons of talent, and tons of upside. People hate him because he dropped two TD passes.

Last years drop was simply game speed. This year, he catches the ball, and then his elbow hits the ground jaring the ball loose. From that, he learns to keep his elbows up a bit when falling down.

If he was making the same basic mistakes over and over... I'd be sick of him. But he is learning. He is now trackng the ball pretty well. I bet he doesn't go down elbow first next either.

Patience people. I know you all are wanting to break out your old Bradshaw in a noose effigies and put a Sweed Jersey on the doll, but patience.

People forget he dropped a sure TD against the Chargers in the playoffs last year too. If I recall it was Leftwich's only attempt that game, Sweed dropped it. I still believe in the kid, but he deserves to be sat down IMO.

revefsreleets
10-02-2009, 09:34 AM
If the offense scored more points, we'd be calling these last second scoring drives by the opposition "garbage time". I'm not ready to crucify a defense, missing it's biggest impact player, who STILL is ranked (tied) 7th for PPG at 16.7, just yet.

solardave
10-02-2009, 09:51 AM

Try him out as a corner to see if he can cover. I mean Ike can't catch either. I'll probably hear it for that one,but I can't tell you how many times I yelled out "CATCH THE DAMN BALL IKE!"

SteelMember
10-02-2009, 10:00 AM
I think Ike knows he "can't catch". He has had some good sucess batting balls away though. He had a few last game.

As far as Sweed....dock his paycheck. :hunch:

Make it worth $5,000 a drop. Players seem to understand money just fine.

stb_steeler
10-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Let him sell beer and peanuts in the stands.:wink02::chuckle:

Gotta have good hands for that job....DOH !

billybob
10-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Ben to sweed ................Yo brother , make this catch , and i am still undefeated in Ohio . We need to win this game .

tony hipchest
10-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Ben to sweed ................Yo brother , make this catch , and i am still undefeated in Ohio . We need to win this game .

"yo james.... youre the eldest of the bunch. we gave you an extension and let foote go. all we need you to do is make a tackel on a fullback in the flat on 4th and 10.

we need to win this game."

:noidea:

billybob
10-02-2009, 11:04 PM
"yo james.... youre the eldest of the bunch. we gave you an extension and let foote go. all we need you to do is make a tackel on a fullback in the flat on 4th and 10.

wouldn't make no difference no how , if Sweed makes that catch . I do see your point about the defense breaking down though .

billybob
10-02-2009, 11:18 PM
I was , and have been so depleted over last years arguement about the " MACH V " , but that is a different tale . This year has been like i said last year . The MACH V has improved . SWEED had a wide open shot to make a catch , for what could have been a potentially game winning touchdown , and he did not . The MACH V made it all possible , but they are not to blame . Who is ? Ben ? The MACH V ? The Bengals defense ? You guessed it . SWEED !

Time to get real SWEEDBACKERS !!!!!!!!!

markymarc
10-03-2009, 01:13 PM
How about we put Sweed on the FG blocking team.? Use his height and jumping ability for something productive.

Rek
10-03-2009, 03:04 PM
How about we put Sweed on the FG blocking team.? Use his height and jumping ability for something productive.

That actually isn't a half bad idea.

SteelersMongol
10-04-2009, 05:14 AM
Give him a spank on a butt, & throw him back up in the O-line.

Texasteel
10-04-2009, 05:41 AM

I believe if James makes this tackle we win the game as well, but it's too confusing to look at more that one person.