PDA

View Full Version : Are we DUE for a down year?

Preacher
09-30-2009, 04:52 PM
I have noticed a trend with the Steelers in this decade. If the trend continues, we should have a losing season this year, only to have two more good seasons.

Check out this trend.

2001 and 2, winning records, AFCC champions.

2003, losing season

2004-5, Winning records AFCN Champions/SB champions (not AFCN second year).

2006, losing season

2007-8, winning records, AFCN champions/SB champions.

2009 . . . ??

Now, it could be argued that 1998-2000 the impact of FA and salary capping as it now stands.

That would mean that, as it settled out, the Steelers run a cycle under the salary cap of 2 on, 1 off.

Hey, I am ALL FOR breaking that cycle this year! Both games were lost in the last minute. It is a LOOONG way away from 2003 and 2006. I just found it all interesting.

stillers4me
09-30-2009, 04:55 PM
Tomlin don't believe in that hocus pocus. :chuckle:

ricksteelers55
09-30-2009, 05:15 PM
I like to see the glass half full so I want to specify that in 2006 we finished even at 8-8 not a losing season

BlastFurnace
09-30-2009, 05:15 PM
No. By the time the "Bye" hits, we will be 5-2 and on our way.

The 49'ers went 17 years without a down year. I don't think you are ever due one.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
09-30-2009, 05:20 PM
The Steelers went from 1972-84 without ever going below 8-8.

steelpride12
09-30-2009, 05:24 PM
No team is due for a loss in any season. The players and team just need to not get laid back, relaxed and halfass a season just because they won the super bowl or got deep in the playoffs. Show heart every season!

tony hipchest
09-30-2009, 05:28 PM
thats a horroble trend that must come to an end. tomlin is 0-2 in 0-2 in 4:15 games this year.

:shout:- can no lose any more games!

mesaSteeler
09-30-2009, 06:11 PM
An interesting analysis and due to the structure of the league there is cycle to winning. Still I would have never expected this year to be a down year.

Edman
09-30-2009, 07:25 PM
I asked this same question a while ago.

No team is "due" a down year, no team is "due" a winning season. You either win or you lose. Just because you win a Super Bowl it doesn't give you an excuse to just lay back the next season. That's just pointless. That's why they play the games.

See:

2004 Patriots* (14-2, Won Super Bowl XXXIX)
2005 Patriots (10-6, went to AFC Divisional Playoffs)
2007 Colts (12-4, went to AFC Divisional Playoffs
2008 Giants (12-4, went to NFC Divisional Playoffs)

Preacher
09-30-2009, 07:41 PM
I asked this same question a while ago.

No team is "due" a down year, no team is "due" a winning season. You either win or you lose. Just because you win a Super Bowl it doesn't give you an excuse to just lay back the next season. That's just pointless. That's why they play the games.

See:

2004 Patriots* (14-2, Won Super Bowl XXXIX)
2005 Patriots (10-6, went to AFC Divisional Playoffs)
2007 Colts (12-4, went to AFC Divisional Playoffs
2008 Giants (12-4, went to NFC Divisional Playoffs)

No one said its an "excuse".

What I am pointing out, is a cycle that the STEELERS have seemed to run on. I really don't care what other teams have done, as their ownership does things a different way.

Is it just happenstance that the Steelers go 2 and 1, 2 and 1, 2 and then this year? maybe so. Maybe those are the only two games we lose all year. I sure hope so myself.

But it has nothing to do with other teams.

Fire Haley
09-30-2009, 07:44 PM
I'd say it has more to do with karma and appeasing the injury gods myself, but that's just me.

SteelCityMan786
09-30-2009, 07:46 PM
No one is due for a bad season. It just happens that way.

Edman
09-30-2009, 07:47 PM
No one said its an "excuse".

What I am pointing out, is a cycle that the STEELERS have seemed to run on. I really don't care what other teams have done, as their ownership does things a different way.

Is it just happenstance that the Steelers go 2 and 1, 2 and 1, 2 and then this year? maybe so. Maybe those are the only two games we lose all year. I sure hope so myself.

But it has nothing to do with other teams.

Then to put it simply, you either win or you lose. No one is "due" anything.

Preacher
09-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Then to put it simply, you either win or you lose. No one is "due" anything.
Sigh... CONTEXT.

In the CONTEXT of what I was typing. DUE means "will the CYCLE which has been present twice show its head a third time?"

So... will the CYCLE continue and we have a losing year this year, or IN OTHER WORDS... ARE WE DUE.

Please. All I ask is context.

GBMelBlount
09-30-2009, 07:54 PM
A few close games tipping one way or another can make all the difference.

Last year we went 12-4 but won 4 of those games in 4th quarter comebacks if I'm not mistaken.

Point is, we could have almost as easily gone 8-8 last year and a few big plays going one way or another can make all the difference this season as well.

So stop complaining Preach. :chuckle:

Preacher
09-30-2009, 07:59 PM
A few close games tipping one way or another can make all the difference.

Last year we went 12-4 but won 4 of those games in 4th quarter comebacks if I'm not mistaken.

Point is, we could have almost as easily gone 8-8 last year and a few big plays going one way or another can make all the difference this season as well.

So stop complaining Preach. :chuckle:

:buttkick:

And I don't want to hear no excuse this year... you and your wife are BOTH coming to have dinner with us this year!! Understand!

Shoes
09-30-2009, 08:07 PM
I don't think so.....still think we will go 12-4 or 13-3! This is for all the worry wort's out there :moon:

Ohio Steeler
10-01-2009, 07:27 AM
WE have only lost 2 games, there still is alot of football to play. I really feel we will get it togather and by the time Oct is over with we will be going into the bye week 5-2...

steelreserve
10-01-2009, 11:12 AM
OMG SKY IS FALLING! SKY IS FALLING!!!

:chuckle:

SoCalFan
10-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Look what happened to the Giants,post superbowl a few years back.They won I think the first 8 games and then went into the tank.Im kinda glad they got the losses out of the way,now its time to wake up!

Preacher
12-10-2009, 10:23 PM
AHEM

T.Richardson
12-10-2009, 10:25 PM
FIRE PREACHER!!!

lol

Psyychoward86
12-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Preacher=Jesus

Fire Haley
12-10-2009, 10:30 PM
I told you the karma gods were hungry.

They were so hungry they ate the sky - while it was falling, with pom-poms in their eyes.

6-10.

Steel-Bryan
12-10-2009, 10:33 PM
:tt02:

Preacher
12-10-2009, 10:52 PM
I kept up hope throughout the year.

But seriously, this is what I have come to expect of the Steelers.

Two good years, one down year. Two good years, one down year.

So next year, should be a playoff year if not a SB year!

T.Richardson
12-10-2009, 10:54 PM
I hope your right lol

BlastFurnace
12-10-2009, 10:56 PM
I have noticed a trend with the Steelers in this decade. If the trend continues, we should have a losing season this year, only to have two more good seasons.

Check out this trend.

2001 and 2, winning records, AFCC champions.

2003, losing season

2004-5, Winning records AFCN Champions/SB champions (not AFCN second year).

2006, losing season

2007-8, winning records, AFCN champions/SB champions.

2009 . . . ??

Now, it could be argued that 1998-2000 the impact of FA and salary capping as it now stands.

That would mean that, as it settled out, the Steelers run a cycle under the salary cap of 2 on, 1 off.

Hey, I am ALL FOR breaking that cycle this year! Both games were lost in the last minute. It is a LOOONG way away from 2003 and 2006. I just found it all interesting.

LOL...I know you are a Preacher....but I didn't know you are a prophet.

Vincent
12-10-2009, 10:56 PM
WTF is "due"?

BlastFurnace
12-10-2009, 10:58 PM
AHEM

Come clean...how much did you win in Vegas:rofl:

Preacher
12-10-2009, 10:59 PM
LOL...I know you are a Preacher....but I didn't know you are a prophet.

I ain't touching that one with a 10 foot pole.

43Hitman
12-10-2009, 11:00 PM
WTF is "due"?

Seriously? Buy a dictionary.

Preacher
12-10-2009, 11:03 PM
WTF is "due"?

Simple. Look at our record.

Due means that we run in a pattern, and that pattern came due again this year.

Stlrs4Life
12-10-2009, 11:03 PM
What draft pick will we get after we go 6-10?

Vincent
12-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Seriously? Buy a dictionary.

I have a firm grasp of the King's English and the various meanings, present and historic, of "due". I take exception to the notion the the efforts of teams are negated by, or that pathetic performances are excused by "due".

And, yes, we have several dictionaries in house with sufficient perspective to challenge "due" in this context.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-10-2009, 11:11 PM
What draft pick will we get after we go 6-10?

If that happens, we might get something around 10th pick. I think at the worst, the Steelers are gonna pick around the 15 spot next spring, so might have a shot at the best NT, OT, ILB at that range. :thumbsup:

Funny how Marshall Faulk, Coach Mariucci and Deion Sanders talked in the postgame about needing to be able to run the football in bad weather, come December in the AFC North. I guess that was part of us being "Due"

Preacher
12-10-2009, 11:18 PM
If that happens, we might get something around 10th pick. I think at the worst, the Steelers are gonna pick around the 15 spot next spring, so might have a shot at the best NT, OT, ILB at that range. :thumbsup:

Funny how Marshall Faulk, Coach Mariucci and Deion Sanders talked in the postgame about needing to be able to run the football in bad weather, come December in the AFC North. I guess that was part of us being "Due"

Funny thing is, it wasn't an issue last year, when our running game was even worse. So I don't buy it being as big a deal as they say.

And WHEN we were a running team, we STILL had the same problems (2003, 2006).

So no, that really has nothing to do with it. I think it has a lot more to do with the inability to stay strong for 3 years.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Funny thing is, it wasn't an issue last year, when our running game was even worse. So I don't buy it being as big a deal as they say.

And WHEN we were a running team, we STILL had the same problems (2003, 2006).

So no, that really has nothing to do with it. I think it has a lot more to do with the inability to stay strong for 3 years.

Funny thing about last year is I remember the Defense taking the ball away and scoring points. When we cant rely on Townsend for a pick 6 vs. the Cowboys to win a game, or Troy to get 6 in the AFCC, or Harrison to get a TD in the Super Bowl........we have to rely on the offense to score points.

Nothing to do with staying strong for 3 years when all you can muster is 2 FG's vs the Browns in bad weather.

Browns ran the football and played good defense in the snow. The Steelers passed the ball and had many drops in the cold tonight. The defense is without injured players and on the field too long. Not a 3 year trend, but rather a team without a valid philosophy or identity.

Preacher
12-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Funny thing about last year is I remember the Defense taking the ball away and scoring points. When we cant rely on Townsend for a pick 6 vs. the Cowboys to win a game, or Troy to get 6 in the AFCC, or Harrison to get a TD in the Super Bowl........we have to rely on the offense to score points.

Nothing to do with staying strong for 3 years when all you can muster is 2 FG's vs the Browns in bad weather.

Browns ran the football and played good defense in the snow. The Steelers passed the ball and had many drops in the cold tonight. The defense is without injured players and on the field too long. Not a 3 year trend, but rather a team without a valid philosophy or identity.

Sorry, but 2 on 1 off, 2 on 1 off, 2 on 1 off is a trend no matter how you cut it.

The question is, is it a trend based on coincidence or a trend based on the structure of the team.

And um... 2003 and 2006 were the same story as 2009. Injuries, offense not being able to produce. Defense not being able to get off the field... CB's getting burned, run game not getting established, pass game not able to carry the team.

There are REASONS why we can't seem to put it together for a third year in a row. My question is why? Whether it is true or not is really not arguable in this decade. 2 on 1 off, 2 on 1 off 2 on 1 off. Can't argue with facts.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-10-2009, 11:39 PM
If the point of the thread is numerology, then I apologize for interrupting with some football related rationale.

What do you think it is??? The Head coach?? The QB?? or just the numbers in the stars??

I havent looked at the sequence of events during the Cowher era, but he won 10 division titles in 15 years, so there again is more ammo for your 2/3 .....theory. I do remember Cowher lead teams being able to seal leads with a suffocating defense and running game....something these moderns Steelers seem inadequate at doing is "closing". COFFEE IS FOR CLOSERS!!!! (Sorry, but needed a little Glengarry reference) :wink:

Preacher
12-11-2009, 01:39 AM
If the point of the thread is numerology, then I apologize for interrupting with some football related rationale.

What do you think it is??? The Head coach?? The QB?? or just the numbers in the stars??

I havent looked at the sequence of events during the Cowher era, but he won 10 division titles in 15 years, so there again is more ammo for your 2/3 .....theory. I do remember Cowher lead teams being able to seal leads with a suffocating defense and running game....something these moderns Steelers seem inadequate at doing is "closing". COFFEE IS FOR CLOSERS!!!! (Sorry, but needed a little Glengarry reference) :wink:

The point of the thread, is to see on a macro level patterns which this team follows, and then ask why. Whyat could it be? I don't know,

maybe the fact that it usually takes about that long for the league to catch up with what the Steelers are doing? Like how in 2002, the holes in our defense was exploited and in 2003 our defense looked like swiss cheese. Or in 2004 and 5 we were strong, but teams started to learn the short throw kills us (remember the SB how the Seahawks moved on us that way), then in 2006 we were all complaining about our CB's again? Then, in 2007 and 8 they were great (Changed by Tomlin doing a little twist on LeBeau's defense) and this year, they are walked on again.

Maybe its the fact that since we started being a winning team under the full weight of the salary cap, the cumalitive losses of players through cap and FA ends up affecting us about every third year?

Maybe its the fact that every third year, Mr. Rooney sacrifices a pig instead of a goat.

I don't know.... I am just pointing out the fact that IT IS A PATTERN.

And yes, the pattern held AGAIN... three COMPLETE patterns.

It is quite strange. I do think there is something to it. Something dealing with how the Steelers reload instead of rebuild.

43Hitman
12-11-2009, 12:50 PM
I have a firm grasp of the King's English and the various meanings, present and historic, of "due". I take exception to the notion the the efforts of teams are negated by, or that pathetic performances are excused by "due".

And, yes, we have several dictionaries in house with sufficient perspective to challenge "due" in this context.

I apologize for being pissy, I was in a terrible mood after last nights loss. :thumbsup:

pancake
12-11-2009, 02:07 PM
The point of the thread, is to see on a macro level patterns which this team follows, and then ask why. Whyat could it be? I don't know,

maybe the fact that it usually takes about that long for the league to catch up with what the Steelers are doing? Like how in 2002, the holes in our defense was exploited and in 2003 our defense looked like swiss cheese. Or in 2004 and 5 we were strong, but teams started to learn the short throw kills us (remember the SB how the Seahawks moved on us that way), then in 2006 we were all complaining about our CB's again? Then, in 2007 and 8 they were great (Changed by Tomlin doing a little twist on LeBeau's defense) and this year, they are walked on again.

Maybe its the fact that since we started being a winning team under the full weight of the salary cap, the cumalitive losses of players through cap and FA ends up affecting us about every third year?

Maybe its the fact that every third year, Mr. Rooney sacrifices a pig instead of a goat.

I don't know.... I am just pointing out the fact that IT IS A PATTERN.

And yes, the pattern held AGAIN... three COMPLETE patterns.

It is quite strange. I do think there is something to it. Something dealing with how the Steelers reload instead of rebuild.

Well, I guess I can look forward to two really nice season to come. :thumbsup:

Preacher
12-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Well, I guess I can look forward to two really nice season to come. :thumbsup:

Sure hope the pattern holds up!