PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward's 10,000 yards a 'huge honor'; is it Hall-worthy?

mesaSteeler
09-30-2009, 11:25 PM
Hines Ward's 10,000 yards a 'huge honor'; is it Hall-worthy?
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/2009-09-30-hines-ward-sw_N.htm

By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY
Hines Ward became the fifth receiver to surpass 10,000 receiving yards with one team, but the achievement was dampened by his Pittsburgh Steelers' sobering 23-20 loss to the AFC North rival Cincinnati Bengals last Sunday.

"It means nothing to me now," Ward told reporters after his four catches for 82 yards put him at 10,022 career yards. "It's a great milestone, but starting the season off 1-2 all the milestones and records, I can't even think about that right now."

POWER RANKINGS: Steelers plummeting out of Top 10
WEEK 4 PICKS: Our analysts project winners & losers

Earlier, Ward acknowledged 10,000 receiving yards as "a huge honor."

He became the 21st player to eclipse 10,000 yards and 800 receptions.

Compare his 818 receptions to Michael Irvin, who had 750 receptions for 11,904 yards. Irvin earned 2007 Hall of Fame enshrinement for helping the Dallas Cowboys win three Super Bowls during his 12-year career.

Ward has helped the Steelers win two titles during his 12-season career.

"People ask me about (the) Hall of Fame," Ward says. "Michael Irvin was the guy I looked up to, the most recent receiver who went into the Hall. He did it with a Hall of Fame quarterback in Troy Aikman. Yes, he was prolific and won three Super Bowls. He's a great wideout, great competitor. Here I am, and I play in Pittsburgh, and I got him in catches and touchdowns (72 to 65). It's kind of amazing."

Since being selected out of Georgia in the third round of the 1998 draft, Ward has caught passes from Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Kent Graham, Tommy Maddox, Charlie Batch, Byron Leftwich and Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh.

Then there was the 43-yard option touchdown pass that Ward corralled from fellow wideout Antwaan Randle El in Super Bowl XL, part of Ward's five-catch, 123-yard MVP performance in that game.

Irvin never won Super Bowl MVP honors during the Cowboys' run to three championships in the 1990s.

Considered one of the game's most complete receivers and perhaps the best blocker ever at his position, Ward joined Irvin, former Indianapolis Colts receiver Marvin Harrison, former Denver Broncos great Rod Smith and Seattle Seahawks legend Steve Largent as the lone 10,000-yard receivers with one team.

"It's amazing that all 10,000 of my yards came on a predominantly running team, having to deal with the AFC North elements," says Ward, who lost his right anterior cruciate ligament in a childhood bicycle accident.

"To get this milestone is definitely a huge honor because of all those things I had to go through."

OX1947
10-01-2009, 02:50 AM
I think the only way he is a first ballot is if he wins 2 more rings or wins one more SB MVP. I think the numbers are good enough with the rest of the things he has done. The fact that he will more then likely finish his career over 1000 catches and 13K yards is amazing considering he played in a run oriented offense for 90% of his career.

jjpro11
10-02-2009, 02:11 AM
i don't know what else the guy would have to do to get in the HOF at this point. he is already the most prolific receiver in Steelers history.. he has 2 SB rings and 1 SB MVP. he's the best blocking WR of ALL-TIME. and his stats speak for themselves.

MasterOfPuppets
10-02-2009, 02:31 AM
irvan had 1000 yds in 11 out of 12 years.... hines has ? 5 ? ....irvan had 47 games of 100 + yds....hines has ? 21 ? sure the steelers were a running team.....how many rushing attempts does emmitt have ? :noidea:

SteelMember
10-02-2009, 07:44 AM
I get where you're goin' MOP, but do you really want to compare Hines with a guy that was the #1 option at WR for the Cowboys to a guy that has always been the flanker/slot #2 guy. After Irvin, who else was there? Jay Novacek at TE was probably their 2nd leading target. Maybe even Daryl Johnston had as many touches as the #2 WR.

I don't think even looking through homer glasses makes Hines any less of a complete NFL player, imo.

steelerchad
10-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Unfortunately if his career ended right now I think he falls a little short. 1 more SB to give him 3 rings would help alot. He's never really at the top in receiving yards. His stats are more due to longevity and staying healthy.

He may be the most complete football player to ever play the position, but when the committe is grading receivers they won't even think about all the devastating blocks that have sprung teammates for big gainers, which is a shame.

Psyychoward86
10-02-2009, 11:19 PM
With his statistics, 2 superbowl wins, a superbowl MVP, and simply the ridiculous tenacious way that he plays i think are more than enough to get him into the HOF. And of course, you gotta throw in the blocking. Hines is simply too unique of a wide receiver to not get in.

markymarc
10-03-2009, 01:14 PM
IMO his stats should get him in now, but if he could put together 2-3 more productive years then I don't see how he can't get in. One more super bowl ring wouldn't hurt either!

steeltheone
10-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Without a doubt HOF

stb_steeler
10-03-2009, 07:10 PM
He doesnt need a boat load of SB rings to get in....C'mon people, his ability to do what he does week after week , show me another receiver that plays the game like Hines does.....Stats aint everything, but he already has those. I say Hines is a shoe-in for Hall.:nw:

steel striker
10-03-2009, 07:31 PM
I think Hines has done enough to be in the HOF plus is can still put up more numbers this year and many after this.

MasterOfPuppets
10-03-2009, 08:05 PM
I get where you're goin' MOP, but do you really want to compare Hines with a guy that was the #1 option at WR for the Cowboys to a guy that has always been the flanker/slot #2 guy. After Irvin, who else was there? Jay Novacek at TE was probably their 2nd leading target. Maybe even Daryl Johnston had as many touches as the #2 WR.

I don't think even looking through homer glasses makes Hines any less of a complete NFL player, imo.
so that just means irvan was getting his yards against a lot more double coverage ...:noidea: ... i don't think irvan should have been a 1st ticket inductee though.

Shellshock
10-03-2009, 08:13 PM
No, does not strike fear of the opposition. He is 3rd or 4th on the overhead chart of the defense.

BigBenFn7
10-03-2009, 09:43 PM
I think Hines will be in the HOF. It probably will take a few years but I can't see how they pass him over at the end of the day.

solardave
10-04-2009, 05:49 AM
One of the best centers of all time Dermonti Dawson is not in because he doesn't have any rings IMHO. Hines should be a lock. It's hard to keep a guy like him out because he's a linebacker playing wideout. He has to be accounted for,well, at least until they passed the "Hines if you so much as touch a Bengal rule".How can anyone dispute him being HOF material when they have to change rules to slow him down and to protect defensive players.:helmet:

Galax Steeler
10-04-2009, 06:45 AM
I think he will make it but they will probably not let him in on the first one. We know how it is he will get screwed one way or the other.