PDA

View Full Version : Why?

Preacher
10-02-2009, 05:12 AM
Without flaming or asinine ______ sucks posts, I am interested in why?

Last week against the Bengals, we saw two touchdown costing errors by our 3rd and 3rd (at that time) receivers.

Limas Sweed is falling to the ground, makes the mistake of not bringing his elbows up and has the ball jarred loose. He is CRUCIFIED for it.

Mike Wallace beats his man, is hit in stride by a bomb from B.R. However, he loses his place on the field, and runs out of bounds. Yet, I think I am the only one that mentions it here.

Last year, Limas was crucified after ONE mistake. Even though he came back and laid a CRUSHING block for Heath. . . and ALSO after Willie dropped a pass or two.

This year, Wallace's staying in bounds (which is much easier to do than Sweed's catching while falling) is ignored.

Can anyone explain the difference here? And please don't say it is a pattern, because Sweed didn't have the pattern when he dropped the pass in the AFCCG.

My personal hope, is that we are looking at number 2 and number 2 of our future receiver corp with these two. So I have nothing invested in one over the other. Just wondering why one is given a complete pass and the other isn't.

Galax Steeler
10-02-2009, 05:20 AM
Good point Preacher I was high on Sweed when we drafted him and still think he has the potential. I just don't see how we can keep him on the field when he is dropping some easy passes. He is in his second year and he has hardly improved from last year.

Wallace on the other hand is going into his fourth game for the Steelers. He has almost caught everything thrown his way he is running good routes. Yes I know he stepped out of bounds last week after that catch but at least he held on to the ball. It was a rookie mistake and I think he will learn from it. I say right know we have to go with Wallace because that is what is working for us.

Scott La Rock
10-02-2009, 05:34 AM
Make Sweed do what I had to do in High School ! Make him carry a football everywhere he goes - EVERYWHERE !Teammates without warning blasting at the ball .If hes caught without it more laps more pushups !

IMO I like Wallace !Sweed has alot of potential .Give him some time. But he has to put in some extra work ! If he dont have it in him . SEE YA !

Aussie_steeler
10-02-2009, 05:39 AM
Easy Preach. Sweed was standing in the Endzone. Wallace wasnt. Sweed was a guaranteed TD and therefore the critical mass sees the 6 + 1 points lost.

Wallace may have got to the endzone but most of SteelerNation could not guarantee that he would of. Therefore no guaranteed 6 + 1 points.

Therefore it is easy maths -- Sweed cost us 7 where as Wallace may have earned 7 points. BIt like Willies 7 points that he may have earned on the 3 & 1 in the first.

Sweed was the only fool who screwed up in the endzone. ( Endzone envy)

HometownGal
10-02-2009, 05:54 AM

Last week against the Bengals, we saw two touchdown costing errors by our 3rd and 3rd (at that time) receivers.

Limas Sweed is falling to the ground, makes the mistake of not bringing his elbows up and has the ball jarred loose. He is CRUCIFIED for it.

Mike Wallace beats his man, is hit in stride by a bomb from B.R. However, he loses his place on the field, and runs out of bounds. Yet, I think I am the only one that mentions it here.

Last year, Limas was crucified after ONE mistake. Even though he came back and laid a CRUSHING block for Heath. . . and ALSO after Willie dropped a pass or two.

This year, Wallace's staying in bounds (which is much easier to do than Sweed's catching while falling) is ignored.

Can anyone explain the difference here? And please don't say it is a pattern, because Sweed didn't have the pattern when he dropped the pass in the AFCCG.

My personal hope, is that we are looking at number 2 and number 2 of our future receiver corp with these two. So I have nothing invested in one over the other. Just wondering why one is given a complete pass and the other isn't.

As Aussie said above, Sweed was in the EZ and that dropsie cost us 6 and contributed to us coming back from Shitsinnati with an "L" in the column.

Also - as you well know around here, every week another scapegoat is crowned.

Steelers & I
10-02-2009, 06:59 AM
As Aussie said above, Sweed was in the EZ and that dropsie cost us 6 and contributed to us coming back from Shitsinnati with an "L" in the column.

Also - as you well know around here, every week another scapegoat is crowned.

Sweed deserved it this week. The team marched up and down the field with ease so no one could blame Arians for the loss. This loss TRULY was attributed to the players not "EXECUTING." Hopefully EVERYONE has their $hit in order and are ready to play some damn football for the next 4 weeks. 5-2 going into the bye week, I can jump on board with that.

JackHammer
10-02-2009, 07:00 AM

As much as you might not like to hear it, it is a pattern at this point. Sweed doesn't have the rookie excuse anymore. He's in his second year, a year where he's supposed to show marked improvement over his rookie year. That means that the time for dropping passes, that are right in his bread basket, is over. Last year, IMO, the criticism had to do with at least two things. One: Sweed hadn't done anything all season long in 08, and Two: He dropped that pass in a HUGE playoff game when fans are hyper-critical about every thing that happens. He left an impression that won't be erased by anything but a lot of catches and a lot less drops.

As far as what the difference is??? I think the reason Wallace gets treated better is that in 3 career games, he's already done more than Sweed has done in 13 games. He's shown his potential very early and that gets fans on his side for sure. His mistakes haven't been all that bad, and they haven't happened in playoff games either. In fact, they've happened so early in the season that it makes it easier for any given fan to write them off as rookie mistakes.It also helps that his mistakes have to do with the more technical side of things as opposed to dropping passes. People expect rookies to run bad routes and make poor decisions. By the same token, rookie or not, people expect all WR's at this level to catch passes that are right in their hands. As long as Wallace holds onto passes, people will continue to be more forgiving of his mistakes.

The Lakelander
10-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Wallace caught the ball ... it's the essential skill he is compensated for.

Sweed doesn't catch the ball.

Sweed has 2 fumbles among his 7 NFL receptions too.

It's pathetic at this point in time!

Cut Sweed loose after this season and pick up another guy. Let some other team deal with his hands problems ... and his salary.

We've got a great corp of WR's to finish out this year ... Ward, Holmes, Wallace and McDonald.

BlastFurnace
10-02-2009, 07:38 AM
It's not just about 2 drops with Sweed and it's just not about "one" mistake. Sweed has been dropping balls since his rookie preseason. It's been talked about since he arrived in Pittsburgh by multiple sources....game commentors, beat writers, and fans alike. He had the same problem at UT. It's a known issue with him.

Sweed's drop in the AFC Champ Game, not only was a big drop, he faked an injury, which cost the team a timeout. As far as last weekend, Sweed was wide open in the end zone. All he had to do was catch the ball and he didn't.

If Sweed just had "one" mistake last season, with his ability, he plays more last season and it's harder for Wallace to take the #3 slot from him.

As far as Wallace, he was thrown to multiple times in the Bengals game and came through. He has seized the #3 slot from Sweed because he has been catching everything since preseason began.

To me, it's not even a close comparison.

That being said, I hope they don't cut Sweed.

arge5809
10-02-2009, 07:57 AM
Maybe Sweed's wrist injury from college is not 100% and he physically can't hold onto the ball.

Just a thought.

:noidea:

fansince'76
10-02-2009, 07:57 AM
He had the same problem at UT. It's a known issue with him.

That wasn't the buzz on him coming out of UT. Then again, it was also said that gaining separation was a problem for him, but that hasn't been his problem thus far as he doesn't seem to have a problem getting open. :hunch:

Limas Sweed's Scouting Report

Strengths: A true possession receiver that is going to go over the middle and make all the catches…Is an enormous target with good strength…Has been a very consistent target and is a team leader…A clutch player…Will move the chains…Is a good blocker and displays good technique…Above-average athleticism…Good character.

Weaknesses: Doesn’t have very good speed...Not a deep threat…Is his production inflated due to Texas’ spread offense?...Route running needs to be a little more polished…Doesn’t get a lot of separation…More of a No. 2 receiver than a No. 1…Very little upside.

http://walterfootball.com/pro2008lsweed.php

SteelMember
10-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Can't make any excuse for Sweed being wide open in the endzone, but I will say that the pass to Wallace was leading him out of bounds. The trajectory of the ball was angled that way. It's not like Ben was throwing straight down the sideline for an over-the-shoulder catch. Mike needed a little more body control to maintain, but more importantly he made the catch. I was actually surprised he kept both feet in. I thought the bungals might throw the "red flag" and challenge.

That being said, I'm not going to bag on Sweed. I just hope he gets past it.

solardave
10-02-2009, 08:41 AM

I disagree about Sweed not having a pattern. He dropped one in the Chargers game that should have gone for a TD,he was that wide open. If he would have caught the ball on Sunday but stepped out of bounce for no TD we could at least say: he caught it. My point Wallace caught what was a tough catch and HELD ON. Sure he ran out of bounce. A rookie mistake. But was it a positive play. YES. What's positive about dropping 3 TD passes in 3 games and why is this not a pattern? For the record I loved the hit Limas put on Corey Ivey but if he does it this year it's a penalty and probably a fine. Thank you Goodell! Oh yeah. He didn't just drop a TD pass in the AFCCG he cost us a timeout by acting like he was hurt.So sorry Preacher but I can't agree with you on this one. And from the looks of it the coaches don't either. I hope he comes back and proves me wrong. I'd like nothing more than to see him have a HOF career with the Steelers!

scsteeler
10-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Wallace caught the ball ... it's the essential skill he is compensated for.

Sweed doesn't catch the ball.

Sweed has 2 fumbles among his 7 NFL receptions too.

It's pathetic at this point in time!

Cut Sweed loose after this season and pick up another guy. Let some other team deal with his hands problems ... and his salary.

We've got a great corp of WR's to finish out this year ... Ward, Holmes, Wallace and McDonald.

I agree!!!! The Wallace Catch should have been a TD but he did catch the Ball which was the key thing. Hopefully these issues will get fixed and soon.

Texasteel
10-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Sweed was not known for bad hands a Texas. He has also shown he can and will get open, sometimes WIDE OPEN. There is still a bunch of games left and I not ready to give up on Sweed yet. This is the make it or break it year for him though. IMO. If he drops the ball like he did last year, the Steelers could quickly start looking elsewhere for Wards replacement.

Fire Haley
10-02-2009, 08:47 AM
"There are none so blind as those who will not see."

http://i33.tinypic.com/2llyqgi.gif

Texasteel
10-02-2009, 08:56 AM
"There are none so blind as those who will not see."

http://i33.tinypic.com/2llyqgi.gif

No one is claiming thats not a bad looking play. I'm just not ready to execute Sweed yet. Check back in a couple week though.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Preacher, I mentioned this in another thread. There could be lots of blame for last week, but Sweed's was around the highest profile.

You could also blame
-Farrior for not making the 4th down tackle
-Carter for not being able to tackle Benson on the TD
-Wallace for not staying in bounds(as you said)
-Reed for missing FG

Crow-Magnon
10-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Why?

Janet Jackson said it best.

"What have you done for me lately?"

BlastFurnace
10-02-2009, 10:21 AM
That wasn't the buzz on him coming out of UT. Then again, it was also said that gaining separation was a problem for him, but that hasn't been his problem thus far as he doesn't seem to have a problem getting open. :hunch:

http://walterfootball.com/pro2008lsweed.php

It's frustrating about these scouting reports. How many times do we read a scouting report and it sounds nothing like the player after watching them.

I have several Die Hard UT fans that I work with. All of them have told me that Sweed had that problem in college his first 3 years in college.

In either case, we both hope that Sweed turns it around.

steelerchad
10-02-2009, 10:28 AM
I think that drop in the AFCC game was in peoples minds. That drop could have cost us the chance to win # 6. So when it happens again, people tend to jump all over it.
Also, I think people are willing to give Wallace a pass on his mistake as it was still a big play and led to 3 points.
Don't forget Wallace is a rookie as well and had a huge game. I think 107 yards and was the leading receiver.

I'm still behind Limas and support him. I hope he can get it straightened out. But he deserves the bashing this week.

Steeldude
10-02-2009, 11:56 AM

simple. wallace caught his pass and resulted in a positive outcome. sweed missed an easy catch that resulted in a negative outcome. sweed has also done this more than once.

i found wallace's catch to be much more difficult.

revefsreleets
10-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Sweed has (not) done a lot more than just drop two passes. Stupid penalties, missed routes, dropped balls, this kid does(n't) do it all!

I don't give a rats ass about Wallace running out of bounds, and gave Reed a pass for missing FG's, and can't be too hard on Ward for fumbling inside the 5, because these guys have won games for us and/or contributed in other ways, but Sweed just keeps digging a deeper and deeper hole.

Tomlin isn't dressing him, so that right there tells you all you need to know....

steelreserve
10-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Are we talking about the same play here? I was just glad Wallace caught the ball and managed to stay in long enough that they ruled it a catch. I didn't think he had an easy play to get to the end zone at all. Yeah, it would've been nice if he could've stayed in, but I wouldn't call it a "mistake" by any means. Or maybe I'd just had too much beer by then, I don't know.

BlastFurnace
10-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Are we talking about the same play here? I was just glad Wallace caught the ball and managed to stay in long enough that they ruled it a catch. I didn't think he had an easy play to get to the end zone at all. Yeah, it would've been nice if he could've stayed in, but I wouldn't call it a "mistake" by any means. Or maybe I'd just had too much beer by then, I don't know.

To me, it looked like Wallace was tightroping the sideline just to get his feet in bounds. I thought it was an outstanding play.

Preacher
10-02-2009, 02:15 PM
First.... I am talking about our reactions to the plays...not the plays themselves.

Second, Wallace this week admitted that he just lost where he was on the playing field. It was a definite rookie mistake.

Third, thanks for the vid Killer...that is EXACTLY what I thought happened, his elbow hit first... jarring the ball lose. This is VERY different than dropping a pass which hits you in the hands. Watch, he has the ball tucked away as he goes down. He just doesn't tuck the elbows to prevent the ball from being jarred loose. For all intents and purposes Sweed is still a rookie... he only played a few games last year. So he is only what, 4, 5 games beyond Wallace in experience.

______

Wallace seems to be a GREAT find. My hope is that he doesn't flash this year and then peter out. However, calling for Sweed to be cut is a little ridiculous. He'll sit. He'll ponder. He'll probably spend even more time on the jugs machine.

My belief is that in 5 years, Holmes, Wallace and Sweed may just be the most dangerous receiving trio in the NFL... well, least that is my hope.

toughsticks87
10-02-2009, 02:21 PM
I guess I'm split on the whole Sweed thing. I mean, the man gets paid solely to catch a ball, and dropped it when he was wide open with a perfectly thrown pass. On the other hand, what if he develops into an all star player after we get rid of him? I don't think there is an easy solution, but I do have faith in Tomlin that he has a long term game plan for this. Hopefully Sweed isn't a bust. I do think he deserves a few more chances though.

Rek
10-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Wallace > Sweed.

BlastFurnace
10-02-2009, 03:36 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/...s/s_646016.html

The Steelers have gone to considerable lengths to try to solve what has been a recurring problem for Sweed, who is in his second season.

They sent him to an eye doctor during training camp last year, and that resulted in Sweed getting contact lenses. They have also had him see a sports psychologist.

The one thing the Steelers can't do is catch the ball for the enigmatic Sweed.

"I've seen him make plays in camp. I've seen him make plays in preseason games," Steelers wide receivers coach Randy Fichtner said. "We've got to work a little harder, concentrate a little harder, relax the mind.

"He's a great kid. He works his tail off. He's getting by people and getting open, and I can't coach that part. That part he has is a gift. That's why he's here."

JackHammer
10-02-2009, 04:28 PM
For all intents and purposes Sweed is still a rookie... he only played a few games last year. So he is only what, 4, 5 games beyond Wallace in experience.

Actually he's 10 games beyond Wallace.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
10-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Stupid penalties, missed routes, dropped balls
This makes me think of Ward (two offensive PI calls vs. the Bengals), Holmes (missed route leads to pick six), and Holmes again (6-7 dropped passes this year already). Everyone seems to be forgetting the terrific preseason Sweed had. He's a completely different player from last year. He's not going to drop passes like he did last year. You can't fault him for an unlucky bounce. Yes, he should have caught it. But give him a break. Don't crucify him.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
10-02-2009, 04:46 PM
2008 Drop Statistics; Notice that Ward and Holmes were both in the top 10 in the AFC. So everybody calm down.
http://sports.iwon.com/nfl/stats/league/passesdropped.html

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-02-2009, 05:39 PM
The difference?

Mike Wallace (4th NFL Appearance): 7 catches, 102 yards, long 51

Limas Sweed (2nd season): 1 catch for 5 yards

Neil-Still-Rules-14
10-02-2009, 05:59 PM
The difference?

Mike Wallace (4th NFL Appearance): 7 catches, 102 yards, long 51

Limas Sweed (2nd season): 1 catch for 5 yards
That argument doesn't really hold up. Sweed has only had two balls thrown in his direction all season.

BehindSteelCurtain
10-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Wallace ACTUALLY caught the ball. WRs are EXPECTED to catch the ball and when your WIDE OPEN on a PERFECT PASS you are expected to make the catch.

billybob
10-02-2009, 06:27 PM

Sweed is gaining a reputation for dropping crucial balls in crucial situations . Wallace can at least catch the ball.
I always liked Sweed , but he is quickly falling out of favor , if you will , not only by some fans , but the coach also .
I think he is not being crucified , he is taking justified heat for his lack..... of whatever that may be . Let us keep in mind Preach , that Wallace is a rook , and Sweed is not .
If you can not make the adjustment .........at least a little , in your 2nd year as a player , then something needs to be addressed . What do you suggest ? Send him to recieving school ? I say send a message to him that he is not footing the bill ,and sit him down to watch someone else ,that is even greener , show him how it is done .
If he does not step up , he should just step out ! We can't wait forever when we have a crown to defend . I think Tomlin is seeing the light also when it comes to Sweed .
If your contributions to the overall agenda are lacking , or hindering this team in any way , maybe you need to go to the practice squad . We have others to replace him anyway . That being said , i would not be against another chance for him to make it right . But it would have to be stern . When we need you to make a play , you must come through , otherwise it is curtains for you . Anyone who has lost confidence in him can not be condemned . What has he proven ?

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Dodt
10-02-2009, 06:48 PM
to be honest its only week 4 lets take some time and observe wallace before crowning him sweeds replacement .

Shoes
10-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Preacher, I mentioned this in another thread. There could be lots of blame for last week, but Sweed's was around the highest profile.

You could also blame
-Farrior for not making the 4th down tackle
-Carter for not being able to tackle Benson on the TD
-Wallace for not staying in bounds(as you said)
-Reed for missing FG

Exactly....Sweed is going to be an outstanding wr.

billybob
10-02-2009, 08:48 PM
I wave seven flags after my posts for the same reason i waved six last year . I am a believer ! I am not giving up completely on Sweed , but he is dwindling at this time .
Some changes have to be made one way or the other . If he is up to the challenge , then he will certainly make it right . ( Thats if the coaches allow it ) . If not , Sweed and our team may be moving in different directions .
We can not move where we want to go with play like that , from someone we expect more from .
I am not the coach , but you better bess believe that he is on some mighty thin ice . He needs to step to the plate and assert himself . He has not done so thus far , and there is no proof to offer in his favor .

ONLY SWEED CAN MAKE IT RIGHT !
Elbow hitting the ground and causing the incomplete is not good enough for me . I played football before , and i hugged that football for all it was worth .
And i never got paid at all .

Fire Haley
10-02-2009, 09:33 PM
billybob speaks the truth

Only eat the fresh shrimps

chucoblack&gold
10-02-2009, 09:39 PM
I wave seven flags after my posts for the same reason i waved six last year . I am a believer ! I am not giving up completely on Sweed , but he is dwindling at this time .
Some changes have to be made one way or the other . If he is up to the challenge , then he will certainly make it right . ( Thats if the coaches allow it ) . If not , Sweed and our team may be moving in different directions .
We can not move where we want to go with play like that , from someone we expect more from .
I am not the coach , but you better bess believe that he is on some mighty thin ice . He needs to step to the plate and assert himself . He has not done so thus far , and there is no proof to offer in his favor .

ONLY SWEED CAN MAKE IT RIGHT !
Elbow hitting the ground and causing the incomplete is not good enough for me . I played football before , and i hugged that football for all it was worth .
And i never got paid at all .

Billybob, I welcome your enthusiasm and positive outlook with this wide receiver situation. Hell, atleast we have the luxury of breaking down some great wide receivers.

I'm right besides you waving my towel :tt:

lambertlunaticfan
10-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Seriously,you had to do that in high school? Man,i thought that was just in the movie "The Program".I did'nt think that coaches would actually have thier players do that.:tt:Make Sweed do what I had to do in High School ! Make him carry a football everywhere he goes - EVERYWHERE !Teammates without warning blasting at the ball .If hes caught without it more laps more pushups !

IMO I like Wallace !Sweed has alot of potential .Give him some time. But he has to put in some extra work ! If he dont have it in him . SEE YA !

billybob
10-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Billybob, I welcome your enthusiasm and positive outlook with this wide receiver situation. Hell, atleast we have the luxury of breaking down some great wide receivers.

I'm right besides you waving my towel :tt:

You must be a "STEEL BROTHER " ! ! ! ! ! ! !

billybob
10-02-2009, 10:01 PM
McDonald makes that catch , and wins the game . If it was not in the endzone , he still makes yards after the catch . He is there for a reason , and i think we made the pick-up for a reason .
Now it's time to make good on our decision to pick him up .
What makes it even better , is that he is tired of losing , and wants to be a winner .
What is wrong with that ?

Give Sweed one last chance !

billybob
10-02-2009, 10:11 PM
While i am still thinking about it , i want to talk about the separation that Sweed does create . What good is the separation , when you are thrown the perfect pass , and you are all alone , no defender around for miles , and you still drop the pass ? Every time we go to him ?
He catches a game winning pass , then i lay off him . Until then , Bet your bottom dollar i will not let up !

Psyychoward86
10-02-2009, 10:21 PM
i didn't ignore that little bit from Wallace. But it didnt hurt that he got 50-something yards instead of coming up with nothing :hunch:

Preacher
10-02-2009, 10:40 PM
i didn't ignore that little bit from Wallace. But it didnt hurt that he got 50-something yards instead of coming up with nothing :hunch:

Now THAT is something that makes sense.

I gotta admit, I yelled harder at Sweed than I did at Wallace. With wallace, I immediately chalked it up to a rookie mistake. Sweed I yelled, "HOLD ON TO THAT BALL!"

But I was just a bit taken aback at the "cut sweed" threads already...then again, I probably shouldn't be.

billybob
10-02-2009, 11:03 PM

I gotta admit, I yelled harder at Sweed than I did at Wallace. With wallace, I immediately chalked it up to a rookie mistake. Sweed I yelled, "HOLD ON TO THAT BALL!"

But I was just a bit taken aback at the "cut sweed" threads already...then again, I probably shouldn't be.

I know i was one of them , but i was letting my anger get the better of me . I called for his immediate release, and cut him , then i simmered down to practice squad .
However i think this could be his make or break chance .
How many actors go into show buisiness and get cut out ? I can't help but get the feeling that Sweed may be one that had potential , but never lived up to it .
Willie reed comes to my mind .
I really do like Sweed a lot ! But it seems he is not the material we need at that position .

Psyychoward86
10-02-2009, 11:04 PM

yeah i know. When he caught that ball and swung out of bounds i was like "oh man, what a wasted opportunity. But let me tell you something, i sure wasn't made about getting that big chunk of yardage :flap:

billybob
10-02-2009, 11:18 PM
My fellow STEELER fans , SWEED has sucked in his role as a STEELER , get over it and move the heck on !!! No seven flags for him , until he earns them ! ! ! ! ! ! !

billybob
10-02-2009, 11:24 PM

You forgot that Sweed is a vet , and Wallace is not ?

What a remark coming from a hard-core fan like you .
Shame on you .

Aussie_steeler
10-03-2009, 02:43 AM

Shame on you .

Since when does two years experience make you a veteran???

billybob
10-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Since when does two years experience make you a veteran???

Ummmmmmmmm? Well ........uhhhhhhhhh.............hmmmmmm.........aft er your first season you are not a rookie anymore ? :noidea:

Psyychoward86
10-03-2009, 10:40 AM

Shame on you .

Uh, my post was FOR Wallace, not Sweed. I'm really confused now. Wallace made a huge play, and didn't finish it. Sweed just failed completely on his TD oppurtunity

Steelerfreak58
10-03-2009, 11:13 AM
For as much as the young man is being paid to play a GAME he is expected to step up and produce when its time. Mr. Sweed has shown at very crucial times to not be that go to guy so far. Its hard to have faith in someone when guys right below you on the depth roster are proving to be much more competent at catching and holding on to the football.

markymarc
10-03-2009, 02:27 PM
I still think Sweed can be a good WR for us. He has no problems getting open. He just needs to learn to catch the football every week. Let's see if Sweed gets anymore chances to play this season.

Preacher
10-03-2009, 04:59 PM
It took Washington 3-4 years to really come into his own in catching the ball.

Sweed only played in what...4 games last year? He dressed for about 10, but played in about 4.

So he is very much still a rookie.

Steelerfreak58
10-03-2009, 07:30 PM
It took Washington 3-4 years to really come into his own in catching the ball.

Sweed only played in what...4 games last year? He dressed for about 10, but played in about 4.

So he is very much still a rookie.

So is Mendenhall for that matter he played in basically one game before going out from his shoulder injury.

billybob
10-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Uh, my post was FOR Wallace, not Sweed. I'm really confused now. Wallace made a huge play, and didn't finish it. Sweed just failed completely on his TD oppurtunity

The facts ... of the matter is , that Sweed has been through more nfl camps than Wallace . Wallace is already distinguishing himself as a rook . First year , and you can make a 2nd year player look expendable .....Read between the lines .
I believe that Sweed will get JUST one more shot to fill his role on the team .
It is all Sweed now .
He is not just some scrub off the streets to fill in . Or is he ? No 7 flags for Sweed .

Psyychoward86
10-03-2009, 11:28 PM
The facts ... of the matter is , that Sweed has been through more nfl camps than Wallace . Wallace is already distinguishing himself as a rook . First year , and you can make a 2nd year player look expendable .....Read between the lines .
I believe that Sweed will get JUST one more shot to fill his role on the team .
It is all Sweed now .
He is not just some scrub off the streets to fill in . Or is he ? No 7 flags for Sweed .

huh. i think you've misunderstood everything i said.

Me thinks that....

1) Sweed: He needs to get his head out of his ass when the ball's coming his way

2) Wallace: He made a mental error too, stepping out of bounds on that beautiful catch. But i'm having a hard time trying to hate on him because at least he's being productive

billybob
10-03-2009, 11:35 PM
huh. i think you've misunderstood everything i said.

Me thinks that....

1) Sweed: He needs to get his head out of his ass when the ball's coming his way

2) Wallace: He made a mental error too, stepping out of bounds on that beautiful catch. But i'm having a hard time trying to hate on him because at least he's being productive

I did not mean to mis interpret what you were trying to convey . Sweed is a player we can surely use . He just can not seem to come through when he is called upon .
If they were tough catches in coverage , and he missed them , then that would be a different scenerio . Sweed must step up , or as i said earlier , maybe he should step out . No 7 flags for Sweed .

The Lakelander
10-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Wallace was never "in bounds" in the first place. I was surprised Cincy didn't challenge it.

Ben led him too close to the sidelines.

Give the kid credit for hanging on and making a big play.

Where the criticism on that play is coming from makes me laugh. Some of our fans our twerps. :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
10-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Wallace was never "in bounds" in the first place. I was surprised Cincy didn't challenge it.

I am not one to argue but Wallace was inbounds. From the angles it showed both feet were inbounds.

NV STEELERS 723
10-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Something tells me #7 is gonna hit him again and he'll make a huge catch ...funny how if it were to happen it makes us forget about the ones he dropped !

steelpride12
10-04-2009, 11:18 AM

Who cares, they counted it and we moved on.

X-Terminator
10-04-2009, 12:51 PM

Ben led him too close to the sidelines.

Give the kid credit for hanging on and making a big play.

Where the criticism on that play is coming from makes me laugh. Some of our fans our twerps. :chuckle:

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought Wallace was out of bounds. I swear he only had one foot in and thought for sure that Uncle Marv would challenge it. He didn't, so that's that.

stlrtruck
10-05-2009, 09:07 AM
Glad I wasn't the only one who thought Wallace was out of bounds. I swear he only had one foot in and thought for sure that Uncle Marv would challenge it. He didn't, so that's that.

I was sitting with my brother at a Steelers bar and as everyone was cheering I leaned in and said, "He's out of bounds". We watched the reply and he agreed, and as they were lining up for the next play, we were waiting for the red flag.