PDA

View Full Version : Olympics to Chicago and Obama....No Thank You!

KeiselPower99
10-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Just heard Chicago has been eliminated from hosting the 2016 games. Obama flew over to Copenhagen after his wife and Oprah flew over the day before spending 1.5 million dollars on fuel payed for by the US tax payers. The end result no games to Chicago. WOOHOO! Nice to see someone can tell him no.

Fire Haley
10-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Drudge -

"The Ego Has Landed"

"Obama + Michelle x Oprah = Zero"

revefsreleets
10-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Most of the people in Chicago didn't want the games anyway...

Fail. Again.

Fire Haley
10-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Snubbed

The World rejects Obama.

"The IOC are racists!" > Michelle

revefsreleets
10-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Snubbed

The World rejects Obama.

"The IOC are racists!" > Michelle

No, this is CLEARLY all Bush's fault!

Fire Haley
10-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Well, it sucks for those in Chicago hoping for construction jobs, but Rio has topless beaches.

Godfather
10-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Rio deserved it. We've held the Olympics plenty of times. South America has never hosted.

Since the Olympics belong to the world, everyone should get their turn hosting. I'll save being greedy for the medal count.

tony hipchest
10-02-2009, 11:04 PM
most here would rejoice if islamabad was chosen over a city obama resides or has resided in.

:cheer: "WOOOHOOO! america loses out to spite obama!" :cheer:

:rolleyes:

oh well, atleast chicago gots NASCAR.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-03-2009, 08:14 AM
most here would rejoice if islamabad was chosen over a city obama resides or has resided in.

oh well, at least chicago gots NASCAR.

Gotta tell you Tony...I am VERY pleased that Chicago didnt get the Olympics. As a citizen of Illinois I had no confidence that the Olympics wouldnt have been sucked into the cesspool of Illinois politics. (Remember we are the state in which all govenors spend two terms...one in Springfield and one in prison)

The Olympics need to stay as far away from scandal as possible and I am sure that had something to do with the decision.

If we would have given the bid, I can say with all confidence that the average citizen might have been able to get tickets to the womens preliminary ping-pong matches, but the big ticket items (basketball..track & field...etc...) would have been given away as political paybacks/favors or been sold off to those corporations that support the corrupt Chicago Machine.

Chicago's Mayor is perhaps the most corrupt mayor in the country, and the amount of kickbacks that he is missing out on in contracts and purchases makes me giggle.

Godfather
10-03-2009, 08:53 AM

oh well, atleast chicago gots NASCAR.

Not me. I wouldn't have been happy with Madrid or Rio. Like I said, when it comes to hosting we should share the wealth.

I'll root for us to win every gold medal but hosting just isn't that important.

SteelCityMan786
10-03-2009, 10:10 AM
I hear Pittsburgh has been rumored for 2020. I wonder if Obama would help out on that bid if it were USOC backed.

fansince'76
10-03-2009, 10:21 AM
It's all just a bunch of political BS anyway....

stillers4me
10-03-2009, 11:56 AM
It's all just a bunch of political BS anyway....

I wonder what Tony would be saying if Obama, had in fact, brought the Olympics back to America,

MACH1
10-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Nobama Nolympics

Godfather
10-03-2009, 01:34 PM
I hear Pittsburgh has been rumored for 2020. I wonder if Obama would help out on that bid if it were USOC backed.

Honestly I can't fault him for trying. His hand was forced--the other heads of state went in person to make a pitch, so he had to.

What sucks is the LSU baseball team was at the White House when O was in Copenhagen. Kind of defeated the purpose of the visit....any high school civics class can tour the White House. Championship teams are supposed to get to meet the President and I'd love to do that even if it's W or Obama.

Venom
10-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Its sad about the Olympics. How will Obama pay off his friends now in Chicago ?

revefsreleets
10-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Not sure about Rio...if they can't stop 5,000 murders (just last year, and JUST in that city), how are they going to protect from terrorist attacks?

Obama should have stayed home, but I still wish Chicago would have gotten the games...

TackleMeBen
10-03-2009, 07:59 PM
having lived in atlanta during the 96 games, it turns your city into a mess. they pretty much destoryed the GA Tech campus, and put up fences all over campus. it sucked. then when the games actually got there, the travel to the games was terrible. MARTA sucked before then, but they really sucked when they were trying to bus all these people all over the place. you had some games held in downtown and some in the out lying areas. it was a total nightmare.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
10-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Montreal just payed off its Olympic debt from 1976! Beijing is in debt to the tune of some 40 Billion dollars from the last Olympics.

I don't think anywhere in the US needs that kind of financial burden at the moment.

I'm glad we didn't get it, but not because of Obama.

Godfather
10-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Not sure about Rio...if they can't stop 5,000 murders (just last year, and JUST in that city), how are they going to protect from terrorist attacks?

LA was Gang Central and didn't get attacked. Athens was supposed to be too incompetent to provide security and they did a great job.

Only Munich and Atlanta had terrorist attacks.

Hines0wnz
10-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Drudge -

"The Ego Has Landed"

"Obama + Michelle x Oprah = Zero"

haha.....I like that.

MasterOfPuppets
10-04-2009, 04:50 PM
olympics ? :coffee:

revefsreleets
10-04-2009, 05:00 PM
In LA they had 368 murders in 2007. Worst year on record was, I believe, 1992, when there were 1000.

Rio has about 6 million people. LA almost 10 million. The murder rate in Rio de Janeiro is almost certainly the highest per capita, as well as just in general, by any city to ever host the games.

That is due, in great part, to the virtual two-class system of Rio, and Brasil in general. The VAST majority of the citizens of Rio live in abject poverty. The cops are incredibly violent and corrupt as well.

In fact, when i looked it up, i was shocked to see that between 1978 and 2000, almost 50,000!!!! people had been murdered, and the murder rate has practically been doubling every year since 2000.

SCSTILLER
10-04-2009, 05:49 PM
In LA they had 368 murders in 2007. Worst year on record was, I believe, 1992, when there were 1000.

Rio has about 6 million people. LA almost 10 million. The murder rate in Rio de Janeiro is almost certainly the highest per capita, as well as just in general, by any city to ever host the games.

That is due, in great part, to the virtual two-class system of Rio, and Brasil in general. The VAST majority of the citizens of Rio live in abject poverty. The cops are incredibly violent and corrupt as well.

In fact, when i looked it up, i was shocked to see that between 1978 and 2000, almost 50,000!!!! people had been murdered, and the murder rate has practically been doubling every year since 2000.

I remember when I was in Rio the US Embassy gave us an "off limits" list. It was a good majority of the city, and the scams that were going on were intense, nothing like we have here in the streets of our cities. I remember the embassy guy telling us to never thumb wrestle the little kids on the streets, cannot remember why but that is sticking in my head. The petty thieves are in Rio are going to lovin life!

tony hipchest
10-04-2009, 06:01 PM

apples and oranges. while i see your point, this is a perfect example how any statistic can be twisted to prove ones point.

if you just take the urban area and actual city limits rio still doubles LA in population about 2:1.

if you look at them both equally and include the greater metropolitan area its still about 12,000,000 in rio and 10,000,000 in LA.

with that being said, i think this has more to do with olympics finally throwing south america a bone as opposed to any of america's or obama's shortcomings. and what better city than rio?

i would say rio probably has the highest murder rate per capita for hosting cities but as far as in general is concerned, juarez has one tenth of the population in the greater metro area and will eclipse 5000 by the end of the year. = 10X worse.

revefsreleets
10-04-2009, 07:31 PM
But the HUGE glaring two class system is something that the IOC simply HAD to be holding their nose when they voted for Rio when they award them the games. China was another country where something similar had to occur...

revefsreleets
10-04-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm also wondering aloud here...If I'm al Queda, I'd set up shop in Brazil. HUGE country with an overwhelming population of disgruntled incredibly poor people with no possible way out of their situation. It's a breeding ground for converts and future radicalized suicide bombers and they have SEVEN years to set up the network and support system.

There is high potential for a major terrorist attack, I think...

OneForTheToe
10-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Well, it sucks for those in Chicago hoping for construction jobs, but Rio has topless beaches.

Finally, someone who understands the true meaning of the Olympics.:applaudit: