PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Ryan Clark wants opportunity to get fined for a hit against Chargers

Galax Steeler
10-04-2009, 08:59 AM
PITTSBURGH - Last year a lot of the Steelers success could be attributed to the Steelers defense and its big play-making ability.

Thus far that success has been missing, especially in the fourth quarter.

It's a reason safety Ryan Clark is excited the Chargers are coming to town. Although one of the hottest teams in the NFL at this juncture - Clark who hasn't had the ball tossed his way much the first three games - is hoping it changes so he has an opportunity to make a hit similar to the one he made on Wesley Clark last year during the New England game to help fire up his teammates.

"Hopefully this week, I will get the opportunity for them to question me for a fine, because they throw the ball to the middle and I can hit somebody," Clark said. "I've been itching for that, because I haven't had that opportunity much this year. This team doesn't care no matter what type of coverage you are in they are going to test it and try you and they make a lot of plays doing that."

Clark said the team all around needs to step up and make big plays this week so they can revert back to their winning ways.

" I just want an opportunity to excite the team, to excite the defense to do what it is I am used to doing," Clark said. " But we need plays right now, we need saturation from the Debo ( James Harrison) from Lamarr (Woodley) we need big hits and all around we need to step up and do what we did to be successful to win games and we haven't done that this year."

Clark knows in Phillip Rivers the Chargers have a weapon.

"I thought it was a highlight film because they were going deep so many times," safety Ryan Clark said. " It's inside the numbers, that's where I play, so its going to be exciting. There's alot of them who make a lot of real big plays."

As for the mental state of the defense, Clark says this is an important week.

"We are sour," Clark said. "You feel like you let the team down. I think just as other people have expectations, whether it be the media or coaches, we have higher expectations for ourselves than we have shown the past few quarters. So for us this is a very important week. We just have to make a play and do our job."

The Steelers have won the last three matchups and Rivers expects this game to be no different than any of the others the two teams have played in the past year. He knows that Clark and the Steelers defense will present a tough challenge at Heinz Field.

"They have a ton of playmakers on defense,"Rivers said. "Their front is active and provides multiple looks. Their secondary, collectively, knows their scheme very well. Dick LeBeau has been there a long time and I think just like anything, when you keep something that consistent over a long period of time, they know what they do and they play it very well. It will be a challenge."

GAME FOUR KEYS TO VICTORY

1) STEELERS RUNNING GAME - Can the Steelers get it going for four quarters. That is the question. Last year Willie Parker ran wild over San Diego with He has yet another injury, this time turf toe, meaning Rashard Mendenhall will have his chance to do some damage to a team that ranks 26th against the run. The second year back looked good against the Bears, but after his 29 yard run, Steelers offensive coordinator made him an afterthought and last week because he didn't pay attention to details at practice, he missed the Bengals game. Should Mendenhall flutter, expect to see Mewelde Moore get some good carries. Also Isaac Redman has been promoted to the roster from the practice squad.

2) CONTAINING PHILLIP RIVERS- Like Clark said the Chargers like to throw the ball and spread it out around the field. Although the Bolts have a good run game, Rivers has tossed for nearly 1,000 yards the past two weeks and the Steelers on the other hand have had a problem getting pressure on the QB especially in the final quarter.

3) HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE - When you look at things, the reality of it is the Steelers could be 3-0 right now or 0-3. Each of its first three contests were close nail-biters that came down to the end. The one game they one? At Heinz Field in overtime. The Steelers seem to thrive at home and need to be at their best against the potent Chargers if they don't want to continue on the path to repeating what they did after Super Bowl XL.

4) FINDING A WAY TO STOP ANTONIO GATES - Kent State may not play in the Big East or Big Ten, but it sure knows how to produce some great talent, IE; James Harrison. Add Gates, a former basketball standout to that picture. In five career games against Pittsburgh, Gates has 20 receptions for 249 yards and two touchdowns. Already in 2009, he has 15 catches for 225 yards. Harrison should get a shot at Gates on the line, but it will be interesting to see how Tyrone Carter holds up against him in coverage. While Phillip Rivers has done a nice job of mixing things up this season, Gates is a target that is one of the best in the game.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m10d4-Steelers-Ryan-Clark

stillers4me
10-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Just freakin' do it.

Hapa
10-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Did they really call Wes Welker "Wesley Clark?"

is hoping it changes so he has an opportunity to make a hit similar to the one he made on Wesley Clark last year during the New England game to help fire up his teammates.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-04-2009, 01:14 PM
I love that mentality.

I hope he knocks one of the Chargers receivers out cold. I want one of their guys carted off of the field.

AllD
10-04-2009, 01:58 PM
It was almost funny when Welker's eyes rolled around like a slot machine after Clark hit him.

markymarc
10-04-2009, 02:25 PM
I just want to see the entire defense bring the pain tonight :tt02:

SteelTalons
10-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Just freakin' do it.

This

randy06
10-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Lets go CLARK!

SteelerFanInStl
10-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Did they really call Wes Welker "Wesley Clark?"

Yep, pretty bad when they can't even get the name correct.

SteelCityMan786
10-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Hey Clark, JUST PLAY THE GAME BRO!!!!

klick81
10-05-2009, 10:48 AM
I wish they would stop talking about the fines as if they want to "challenge" the officials. JUST DO IT.

All the jabbering does is get big assed targets on their backs for the officials to keep an eye on.