PDA

View Full Version : The Official Rashard Love Thread

onefortheotherhand
10-04-2009, 11:41 PM
I thought he deserved this, after all the hate he received on this fourm

is this the most rushing yards we've had for like a season and a half?! :tt02:

Steelers Since '75
10-04-2009, 11:43 PM
I'm gonna jump into any thread that praises Kuhn... what Mendenhalll... okay???

GO MENDY!

onefortheotherhand
10-04-2009, 11:45 PM
he was running HARD. i liked how he fought for every yard and didnt give up.

the OL deserves some love too though because wow kemo was throwing some KO's

Steelboy84
10-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Mendy was hitting the hole hard tonight!!!!!!!!

T.Richardson
10-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Mendy marry me!!

beer72
10-04-2009, 11:48 PM
He had a great game!!!

STEELERS'CHICK0609
10-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Rashard definitely did his thing tonight! I think Willie Parker need to watch out because Mendenhall is gonna take his spot! 38-28 GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SteelerFanInStl
10-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Big props for Mende tonight. :thumbsup: He ran tough all night.

Sharkissle29
10-04-2009, 11:59 PM
i knew mendenhall was our man, thats what happens when you give mendenhall a chance to play.

he should be our starter now, but probably wont

steelpride12
10-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Great game. I think Tomlin chewed him out and put a stamp on the no carries last game. Mendenhall came prepared, but he has a long road ahead of him. Don't expect these numbers against good defensive teams. He has a lot to learn!

JackHammer
10-05-2009, 12:04 AM
You know what I mean?

GridironWarrior
10-05-2009, 12:32 AM
Mendy is good, he fell forward almost every time.

Preacher
10-05-2009, 12:47 AM
Am I happy with Mendy tonight? Absolutely.

I am not ready to crown HIM though... There were a lot more things happening tonight then just Mendy running.

the line was blowing out holes tonight. We were passing out of some run looking formations and vice-versa.

Now, Mendy played well. He ran hard and broke tackles. He caught the ball and made a few things happen in the open field. All GREAT THINGS.

But I am not ready to say MENDY CAUSED IT.

I AM ready however, to say that he should be splitting carries at the very least with Willie right now, if not getting a larger share.

Sharkissle29
10-05-2009, 12:50 AM

I am not ready to crown HIM though... There were a lot more things happening tonight then just Mendy running.

the line was blowing out holes tonight. We were passing out of some run looking formations and vice-versa.

Now, Mendy played well. He ran hard and broke tackles. He caught the ball and made a few things happen in the open field. All GREAT THINGS.

I AM ready however, to say that he should be splitting carries at the very least with Willie right now, if not getting a larger share.

Didnt you contradict yourself there?

the o-line played great, no doubt about it. but some of those broken tackles broke open plays. if willie played, i think he would have gone for 85-95. just my opinion

KYsteelfan
10-05-2009, 12:54 AM
this was great. it was the line being awesome, and blowing their guys off the line, and mendy running really hard. whatever it is, they need to keep it up. If our line can be solid, Ben will be the best qb in the league

JackHammer
10-05-2009, 12:58 AM

Well one thing is for certain. He fell forward after just about every hit he took. He caused that and that's something that's been missing from our running game. It's great to see that kind of thing. Even so, I agree that we can't crown him yet, especially considering that we've been able run against S.D. lately. It's more of an overall match-up than any individual performance.

Preacher
10-05-2009, 01:00 AM
Didnt you contradict yourself there?

the o-line played great, no doubt about it. but some of those broken tackles broke open plays. if willie played, i think he would have gone for 85-95. just my opinion

No... I didn't contradict myself. There were a couple times tackles were broke. Mende did however, play REAL well in the pass game.

However, what I think made the BIG difference tonight, was the line.

I think there was only 2 times that mendy was even touched in the backfield. That has nothing to do with a running back. that is ALL O line.

What does willie do? Maybe worse, maybe better, maybe the same. Who knows.

Like I said before though, Mendy DID earn himself the right to split carries tonight... at the very least, if not carry more than Willie.

Preacher
10-05-2009, 01:01 AM
Well one thing is for certain. He fell forward after just about every hit he took. He caused that and that's something that's been missing from our running game. It's great to see that kind of thing. Even so, I agree that we can't crown him yet, especially considering that we've been able run against S.D. lately. It's more of an overall match-up than any individual performance.

Exactly... though last week, Willie was falling forward too. I just think what we are seeing, is a coming of age of the Arians defense.

Sharkissle29
10-05-2009, 01:04 AM
No... I didn't contradict myself. There were a couple times tackles were broke. Mende did however, play REAL well in the pass game.

However, what I think made the BIG difference tonight, was the line.

I think there was only 2 times that mendy was even touched in the backfield. That has nothing to do with a running back. that is ALL O line.

What does willie do? Maybe worse, maybe better, maybe the same. Who knows.

Like I said before though, Mendy DID earn himself the right to split carries tonight... at the very least, if not carry more than Willie.

i hope tomlin thinks the same way and finally will let them split carries instead of the every 3rd drive rotation

Steelstralia
10-05-2009, 01:15 AM
mendenhall was on a roll today!! good game, glad i missed school for this.

Edman
10-05-2009, 01:23 AM
Mendenhall had the game we've all been waiting for. He really took advantage of his opportunity tonight. Showing vision, burst, and the ability to push the pile.

But you see, he's played the notoriously soft Chargers Defense. So let's not crown him yet.

Rek
10-05-2009, 01:25 AM
I'm a HUGE Willie Parker fan. I mean HUGE. But if Mendy runs like that every week, I say start him.

Rek
10-05-2009, 01:26 AM
mendenhall was on a roll today!! good game, glad i missed school for this.

An education is a terrible thing to waste.

MasterOfPuppets
10-05-2009, 01:32 AM
its amazing what happens when defenders and the ball don't meet the running back at the same time.....congrats to the 5 bums up front for not making a pathetic charger front 7 not make them look ....well....pathetic..... :popcorn:

sharkweek
10-05-2009, 02:25 AM
Parker and the OL and play calling in general looked like we were going to have a similar break out type game against Cinci until all the foot shooting and inexplicable change in play calling.

Mendy did some great things beyond the line of scrimmage where you can't really credit the OL, but the progression I have seen from week to week really is encouraging. Week 1 was atrocious. Week 2 was not much better but Parker did at least have some decent runs. Week 3 looked like we were going to have our way with the Bengals on the ground at least based on the first half, but then we stopped mixing the play calling in the 2nd half that was most likely the cause for our ground game's success in the 1st... Then there's Week 4, where we finally finished a game offensively as strong as we started it.

Personally I'm hoping for our OL to continue to develop and improve, and to ultimately end up with a Ronnie Brown/Ricky Williams type situation with Mendenhall and Parker.

Then there's obviously not to forget Moore...man, our offense is just absolutely brimming with weapons...

steelreserve
10-05-2009, 02:31 AM
Notice how our offense looks completely different when we have a running back that actively helps pick up first downs on a consistent basis, instead of a running back where you basically roll a 10-sided die with "0" on eight of the sides?

Yes, I just made a Dungeons and Dragons reference to our running game. That's, like, worse than Madden and fantasy football put together, I know.

My only fear is that next week, we'll be back to Parker-only. Because if there's one thing I know, it's a Steelers tradition that if Parker is healthy, we MUST use him every play. We'll probably even fool ourselves into thinking he's "back on track" because we play the Lions and Browns next. Until we play a decent team like the Vikings and they show us there was really no track to begin with.

Galax Steeler
10-05-2009, 04:58 AM
What a game by Mendenhall he showed everything a running back should be. He hit the holes with alot of burts and speed. He made some good cutbacks and was really getting extra yards when he would get hit with the first contact. This is what mendenhall needed to build his confidence up. He should see an increase in his work load from here on out.

Steelstralia
10-05-2009, 06:00 AM
An education is a terrible thing to waste.

it was only one day man, i've never been absent all year.

onefortheotherhand
10-05-2009, 06:27 AM
did you see him blast that LB while blocking?

i love you how the crowd went OOOOOOOOOOO

Boomerang
10-05-2009, 07:01 AM
Well done Mendy ,you ran hard and it was great to see the Black n Gold running like we are accustomed to.:tt04::tt02:

Aussie_steeler
10-05-2009, 07:17 AM
I was most impressed the with the vicious block he laid. I cant remember who he tattooed but that guy has still got to be hurting. iIt even had that tool Collingsworth stand up and take notice.

It had some venom in it - I think that might have sent more of a message to Tomlin than any of the yards he made tonight about his desire to play. It was one of those statement moments.

PS: 5 plays MR UF Nuckle - where are my five plays that proved to you that Mendenhall was and always will be a bust when you first saw him. I know your lurking.

solardave
10-05-2009, 07:19 AM
It's only one game but what a game. I loved the way he handled himself too.Genuine humility. No celebrations, reminded me of Barry Sanders. Not the way he ran but after each play he'd just come back to the huddle. If this is a preview we need to get the ball in his hands early and often. That block in the second quarter on the linebacker was huge. He pancaked him.

Now about our line. They played like a beast brigade.I thought they had their best game in I can't remember when.
Keep up the great work. Rashard needs to take these guys out and buy them a big ol' steak!!!

PalmerSteel
10-05-2009, 07:42 AM
welcome to the nfl mendy. finally. i agree with some of the others. running was great but had great blocking too but the most defining moment was that block! wow, i just jumped out of my seat screaming after that block. wow!

XxKnightxX
10-05-2009, 09:04 AM
He ran hard, He played with pure desire, I applaud him for his tenacious playing. That block that he laid on that Linebacker (burnett) i think, just made me stand up and applaud it. Although he played well, He needs to get lower when he runs, because a better defense and he tries to run high, He will get popped and He will fumble. But overall great job.

SteelerFanInStl
10-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Exactly... though last week, Willie was falling forward too. I just think what we are seeing, is a coming of age of the Arians defense.

Ah Ha! That's why the defense is playing poorly. It's Arians fault!! :sofunny:

markymarc
10-05-2009, 11:43 AM
It appears that Tomlin's message got to Mendenhall :tt02: He showed last night why we drafted him in the first round. Rashard is extremely talented. He also did a great job in blocking on passing plays. That block he put on the blitzing LB would make Hines Ward proud.