PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Report Card

Shoes
10-05-2009, 12:18 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09278/1003196-66.stm

Quarterback

A

Ben Roethlisberger flawlessly directed an offense that produced 498 yards, 32 first downs and the most points this season. And he did it by passing for 333 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions. He opened the game with three completions for 65 yards to set up the first touchdown. He completed 26 of 33 passes with three drops and finished with a season-high passer rating of 128.9.
Running backs

A

Rashard Mendenhall bounced back from his punishment a week ago to rush for a career-best 165 yards on 29 carries, including 80 in the first half when he also caught a 20-yard pass and scored two touchdowns. He ran hard and did a nice job in blitz pickup, twice knocking Chargers defenders out of the game. Mewelde Moore caught one touchdown and threw another, a 6-yarder to Heath Miller.
Receivers

A

Tight end Heath Miller had six of his eight catches for 58 yards in the first half and had two 6-yard TD catches. Hines Ward had eight catches for a team-high 113 yards, his second 100-yard game this season, but he dropped back-to-back passes in the fourth. Mike Wallace continues to make big plays, catching a 35-yard pass to set up the first touchdown and a 12-yarder on the third touchdown.

Offensive line

A

Other than two sacks on back-to-back plays in the second quarter, the offensive line played very well. Roethlisberger had time to throw and the Steelers rushed for a season-high 178 yards. Guard Chris Kemoeatu was big on counter plays and they even converted several short-yardage situations, once when G Doug Legursky lined at fullback and led Mendenhall through the hole on a 1-yard TD.

Defensive line

B

The Chargers rushed for 9 yards on four carries in the first half and had to give up on the run game after falling behind, 21-0. Not that it would have mattered. Their longest play in the first half was 16 yards on a swing pass to RB Darren Sproles. DE Aaron Smith had one of two sacks on QB Philip Rivers and DE Brett Keisel collapsed the pocket on several occasions, though he didn't get a sack.

Linebackers

B

For a quarterback who was sacked only three times, all in the second half, Philip Rivers was under a lot of pressure and did not have time to sit in the pocket. Most of the pressure came from inside, by James Farrior and Lawrence Timmons. James Harrison was double-teamed on occasions by the Chargers, but still managed to register two sacks, including a forced fumble on Rivers to end the game.

Defensive backs
C-

The Steelers did a good job taking away the big play for Rivers in the first half, but he passed for 189 of his 254 after halftime. CB Ike Taylor followed big-play receiver Vincent Jackson and held him to four catches, including one for 15 yards in the first half. But the problem seemed to be finding someone to cover TE Antonio Gates, who had nine catches for 124 yards and two touchdowns.

Special teams
D+
The task was to make sure there were no long returns by Darren Sproles, and the coverage team did just that. Sproles, the AFC's kick return leader, averaged just 21 yards on four returns, none longer than 28 yards. But Stefan Logan was stripped on a punt return by FB Jacob Hester, who returned the fumble 41 yards for a touchdown, and Ryan Mundy lost an onside kick that resulted in a TD.

Coaching

A

Mike Tomlin showed confidence in his offense going on fourth-and-1 from his own 30 with a 14-0 lead. Give credit to offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, who mixed the run and pass to perfection in the first half when the Steelers controlled the ball for nearly 23 of the 30 minutes and had 19 first downs. The defense gave up 21 more points in the fourth, though some of that was on the special teams.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09278/1003196-66.stm#ixzz0T2GEK9N6

toughsticks87
10-05-2009, 01:12 AM
Couldn't agree more. Very solid except for the fluke palys at the end.

solardave
10-05-2009, 06:58 AM
I agree with your grades. I think if Troy played the Defensive backs easily would be an A. 2 special teams plays went their way. Don't get me started on the strip! The other was our fault, just fall on the ball. And while I'm talking about Troy IMHO the defense does change drastically with him out so once he comes back I think the real D will be back. It's All Good!

revefsreleets
10-05-2009, 08:13 AM
My God, is this board going to crash? Are dogs and cats playing together in the streets? Is it the apocolypse? Arians gets an A?????

Somewhere, mmalones little pinhead is asploding....

austinfrench76
10-05-2009, 09:02 AM
A fumble that should have been blown dead, an on-side kick recovery and no Troy, NO PROBLEM! It just would have been 38-7. Good win!

Crow-Magnon
10-05-2009, 09:35 AM
I TOLD you Pittsburgh mooks last week to stop crying about being 1-2. :chuckle:

The Steelers looked pretty good last night. Rivers looked like he had a tear stain on his left cheek at 7:42 left in the 3rd quarter.

PalmerSteel
10-05-2009, 09:51 AM
only complaint i got is for coaching. one mistake that was crucial should drop them from A to B. the onside hands team wasnt in there when there was the possibility of that onside. if a fan questions whether to onside or not the coaches certainly should have prepared for it. other than that, great job.

revefsreleets
10-05-2009, 10:06 AM
only complaint i got is for coaching. one mistake that was crucial should drop them from A to B. the onside hands team wasnt in there when there was the possibility of that onside. if a fan questions whether to onside or not the coaches certainly should have prepared for it. other than that, great job.

Good point...ST coach gets dinged for that one...make it an A-

Kvnfaber
10-05-2009, 11:03 AM
As far as the offensive line and those consecutive sacks:

Those were totally Ben's fault, he was in the pocket for 5+ seconds.

GREAT game O-line!

steelpride12
10-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Agreed. Everything was an A until the 4th quarter where the offense kept clicking, but just a lapse in the defense and the ST could have played a little smarter.

steelreserve
10-05-2009, 11:55 AM
I really don't think the Logan "fumble" was anyone's fault. That was pretty much the definition of the play being over and you're supposed to blow the whistle. So D+ is a little harsh.

I am a little concerned about Logan losing the ball twice already, though. Hope he's got it out of his system.

OneForTheToe
10-05-2009, 12:16 PM

I agree. We definitely needed our hands team out there at that point in the game.

:tap: I'm thinking Limas Sweed And Ike Taylor. :wink02:

Rek
10-05-2009, 12:17 PM
My God, is this board going to crash? Are dogs and cats playing together in the streets? Is it the apocolypse? Arians gets an A?????

Somewhere, mmalones little pinhead is asploding....

Eh, it was a good win. BA deserves some credit.

LVSteelersfan
10-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Arians playcalling has been pretty good the past couple weeks. And I am a diehard Arians basher. But I have to give him his props the past couple weeks. We are actually busting some holes with the behemoths up front and their pass protection has been pretty good. We are about 30 seconds in games from being 4-0. We are not having a bad year despite what some people seem to want to think.

Indo
10-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Dare I say it...

I'll even give Collinsworthless a B+ for how well he hid his Steelers hatred and actually giving props to Kemo throughout the game

SuperSteelers
10-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Dare I say it...

I'll even give Collinsworthless a B+ for how well he hid his Steelers hatred and actually giving props to Kemo throughout the game

I respectfully disagree.. did you hear when he said: "The Steelers just can't close the door in the 4th quarter.. they haven't been able to the whole season."

Season??? The lost the last 2 games !! I guess the Titans game was in pre-season.. and doesn't count.

What punks!

Sharkissle29
10-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Dare I say it...

are you kidding? collinsworth was bad mouthing the steelers basically the entire game...

revefsreleets
10-05-2009, 02:41 PM
And when he DID compliment the Steelers, it was usually left-handed.

He hates the Steelers, and he's a bad actor...neither will ever change.

pepsyman1
10-05-2009, 03:10 PM
LOL
I think you guys are overly sensitive. Collingsworth is there to provide color commentary. He's supposed to make it as entertaining as possible for all the viewers including fans for both teams as well as those that follow neither team. He gave out plenty of compliments to the Steelers including after Mendi's 2nd TD "The Steelers are kickin' their stinkin butts!"

I would also agree with most of those grades....Arians gets a thumbs up from me on making some adjustments in the run (including some FB usage...Hurray!) I would have dropped the overall coaching rating a little myself (not having the hands team on for the onside kick was a big mistake) and I thought Dick Lebeau got very passive with his zones and prevent packages in the fourth quarter instead of being aggressive and stepping on the Chargers throat.

revefsreleets
10-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Overly sensitive? Huh? This is the product of observing him call Steelers regional games for YEARS where he could barely contain his obvious disdain for the B&G. He has to attempt to veil that disdain now in order to appear unbiased, but I hardly see how observing that obvious bad acting is being oversensitive....

Sharkissle29
10-05-2009, 03:47 PM
I am definitely not overly sensitive and normally dont notice this kind of thing. but last night, before we took a big league, there was definitely a span of badmouthing.

I started tuning him out, but i know he was saying how timmons looked rusty last week, when Tomlin came out and said he was pleased with his play...?.