PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence Timmons Thread

BlastFurnace
10-05-2009, 09:49 AM
I believe that Timmons has a role on our defense, but it is the role he played last year.

What I have noticed about him is this...he has no lateral speed, but just straight ahead speed. if you notice his pass rushes, he goes straight up the gut and usually is blocked right out of the play as the QB just sidesteps him. Its' not just about his injured ankle. It was the same last year as well.

I believe this is his weakness against the run as well. He's not strong against the run at all.

He has enough speed to play the outside, but there is no place for him outside on this team. I have a feeling that the Steelers are trying to play him in a position that he is not suited for.

Problem is, I don't know what other options we have in the middle. I thought Fox did well, but I haven't seen him on the field since the Tennessee game...coincidentally, our best defensive effort.

BTW, I am not saying Timmons sucks or to cut him....so please don't put words in my mouth.

revefsreleets
10-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Not seeing this at all...sorry.

RoethlisBURGHer
10-05-2009, 10:02 AM
I am starting to think the same thing BF.

Timmons is a very gifted athlete, but he isn't suited to play ILB in the NFL. He is more of a sub-package guy or an OLB.

However, it hasn't been the run game that has been hurting is, it's been the passing game in the fourth quarter.

Maybe playing Fox at ILB in our base defense most of the time will help with that because it will leave a guy like Timmons who is a beast in coverage with fresher legs.

BlastFurnace
10-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Not seeing this at all...sorry.

That's cool. That's the reason I started this thread. I'm wondering if I am the only one feeling this way about Timmons.

stlrtruck
10-05-2009, 10:11 AM
I'm not so sure if it's the speed or the fact that maybe his ankle isn't 100% just yet.

There were plays that he looked tentative about moving at a fast rate of speed.

I do believe he looked better than last week but there's still more improvement for him.

GridironWarrior
10-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Give him some time. High ankle sprains I think take a while to recover from. I think he'll be fine. Timmons is the least of our worries on D. I"m more concerned with the scheme and 4th quarter miscues. I do think all of this is fixable.

Sharkissle29
10-05-2009, 10:16 AM
If he lacks lateral speed, how is he better suited at OLB???

RoethlisBURGHer
10-05-2009, 10:42 AM
If he lacks lateral speed, how is he better suited at OLB???

By lateral speed, I think he means moving side to side, where he's facing the line of scrimmage but moving sideways. That's what I mean when I say lateral speed.

revefsreleets
10-05-2009, 10:45 AM
OLB's are responsible to cover a lot more ground than ILB's, so it would be the opposite...

fansince'76
10-05-2009, 11:09 AM
My only question is why was Harrison back in deep coverage last night instead of Timmons? :hunch:

Spidey
10-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Square peg round hole, but this post is going to lead me on to mr Woodley, so i'll leave it!

markymarc
10-05-2009, 11:13 AM
IMO Lawrence Timmons is still not 100% with his high ankle sprain. Right now I don't see the closing speed he displayed last season. Hopefully his ankle continues to heal and he is getting close to 100%. Although he is still making plays even on a less than 100% ankle. Once the ankle is fully healed then I expect to see even more plays being made by Timmons.

revefsreleets
10-05-2009, 11:14 AM
My only question is why was Harrison back in deep coverage last night instead of Timmons? :hunch:

I've been talking about this a little bit, but, just like with Peazy, when you become a complete Pittsburgh LB, there is NOTHING you won't be asked to do on occasion. Snack drops into coverage on occasion, and it reminds me that a big ole 320 lb OSU DL picked off an Indiana pass this weekend doing the exact same thing.

Safety's play DL (Troy does it all the time), DL's play safety, and LB's have every conceivable responsibility you can imagine...typically, I'd say Harrison is safe guarding MOST TE's, But gates is a freak....

OX1947
10-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Timmons ankle may be the issue. High Ankle Sprain is not something that just goes away after a few weeks of rest. I was very upset when Foote left. Regardless of him not being all world, the guy was farriors perfect compliment and never missed games. To me, that means a lot. With Fox playing so well, Foote leaving doesn't hurt as much. However, the transition is a bit off, I hope it gets better.

Troy not being in the line up is hurting the Steelers. Even when the Steelers were 6-2 without him up until this year, Troy being out just doesn't allow the Steelers to do what they want to do. As far as Woodley, seems like Woodley had been in pass coverage a lot more this year. I noticed he was just a hair away almost all of the second half in the SD game, I think he will get back on track with a couple of sacks in his home State next week.

The Definiti0n
10-05-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm not so sure if it's the speed or the fact that maybe his ankle isn't 100% just yet.

There were plays that he looked tentative about moving at a fast rate of speed.

I do believe he looked better than last week but there's still more improvement for him.

I agree he isnt heathly yet.

LVSteelersfan
10-05-2009, 12:19 PM
The opposing offenses are not allowing the pass rush to get to them by firing short and quick passes out of there. It is good scouting on their part because they know exactly how long they have to get rid of it. With Troy out (and Clark getting knocked out last night) that leaves huge gaps in the middle. Notice that Rivers started moving the ball once Clark left the game and Ratliff was brought in.

BlastFurnace
10-05-2009, 01:11 PM
IMO Lawrence Timmons is still not 100% with his high ankle sprain. Right now I don't see the closing speed he displayed last season. Hopefully his ankle continues to heal and he is getting close to 100%. Although he is still making plays even on a less than 100% ankle. Once the ankle is fully healed then I expect to see even more plays being made by Timmons.

LOL...He's missing his "suddenness and glide"

fansince'76
10-05-2009, 01:15 PM
I've been talking about this a little bit, but, just like with Peazy, when you become a complete Pittsburgh LB, there is NOTHING you won't be asked to do on occasion. Snack drops into coverage on occasion, and it reminds me that a big ole 320 lb OSU DL picked off an Indiana pass this weekend doing the exact same thing.

Safety's play DL (Troy does it all the time), DL's play safety, and LB's have every conceivable responsibility you can imagine...typically, I'd say Harrison is safe guarding MOST TE's, But gates is a freak....

Yeah, I've seen Harrison drop back into short and intermediate coverage occasionally, but I don't think I've ever seen him back that far. I could be mistaken, though.

BlastFurnace
10-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I've seen Harrison drop back into short and intermediate coverage occasionally, but I don't think I've ever seen him back that far. I could be mistaken, though.

I remember him dropping back that far, but not as a primary coverage on the TE...especially someone like Gates.

onefortheotherhand
10-05-2009, 03:20 PM
LOL...He's missing his "suddenness and glide"

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Fire Haley
10-05-2009, 03:38 PM
I don't see any drop-off at all. He's still running around like a chicken with it's head cut off in the secondary.

Preacher
10-05-2009, 06:34 PM
I believe that Timmons has a role on our defense, but it is the role he played last year.

What I have noticed about him is this...he has no lateral speed, but just straight ahead speed. if you notice his pass rushes, he goes straight up the gut and usually is blocked right out of the play as the QB just sidesteps him. Its' not just about his injured ankle. It was the same last year as well.

I believe this is his weakness against the run as well. He's not strong against the run at all.

He has enough speed to play the outside, but there is no place for him outside on this team. I have a feeling that the Steelers are trying to play him in a position that he is not suited for.

Problem is, I don't know what other options we have in the middle. I thought Fox did well, but I haven't seen him on the field since the Tennessee game...coincidentally, our best defensive effort.

BTW, I am not saying Timmons sucks or to cut him....so please don't put words in my mouth.

I disagree with you... but good post.

I actually FORGOT about TImmons high ankle sprain. That WILL slow you down.

Davison_K
10-05-2009, 07:31 PM
I personally think through the first half and through most of the 3rd quarter Timmons was doing a nice job on Gates. It seemed like just about every time he was right there. I think he has impressive coverage skills and I think he has the size and strength to stop the run. It is a new role for Timmons being a full time starter but I was rather impressed with his performance in the game last night (....until the 4th quarter) - Though to counter my own remark, he really wasn't on Gates as much come the 4th quarter and that is when Gates blew up.

But God. I miss Troy.