PDA

View Full Version : Is Mendenhall That Good?

Rek
10-05-2009, 02:22 PM
I've been hearing all kinds of things about the Steeler's win but there are 2 arguements I find interesting.

Mendenhall was lucky he was playing a soft Chargers D-line and FWP could have ran for the same, if not more yards, had he been playing.

vs.

FWP has never showed that kind of passion and fire that Mendenhall did and therefore, the transition from the Parker-era to the Mendenhall-era should begin.

Discuss.

The_WARDen
10-05-2009, 02:24 PM
I think Mendenhall was embarassed and ran with determination.

Does he do that every game from now on? Man I hope so!

steelreserve
10-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Sure, Parker probably would've run for decent yardage last night. Definitely not more yards.

At this point in his career, I don't see any advantage that Parker brings to the table over Mendenhall as a starting running back. Parker MAYBE equals him in one category -- quickness -- but is inferior in several others. Put another way, Mendenhall can do everything Parker can, plus catch, plus run for more power, plus be consistent.

BlastFurnace
10-05-2009, 02:35 PM
I don't think we know yet. We need to see this kind of determined running again. It's unrealistic to expect 150+ every week, but let's see how he does week in and week out.

I hope he is that good, because Willie is not a full time starter any longer because he's becoming too injury prone.

steelpride12
10-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Well Mendenhall ran with a purpose last night. Getting benched last game and being shunted by the coaching staff he had reason and purpose to have a break out game.
Now for Mendy to really show what he is made of he needs to run that way every single game.

OX1947
10-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Mendenhall has the ability to be an all-pro. He is that good.

hindes204
10-05-2009, 02:37 PM
that block he had was sweet too.....they still got a sack on ben, but it was a phenomenal block

KeiselPower99
10-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Mendenhall got the message from Tomlin that it dosent matter where your drafted that you have to earn playing time. I hope he shows up like that every game the rest of the season.

ricksteelers55
10-05-2009, 03:07 PM
I really think that later in his career if he is honnest the Tomlin's benching thing could have been a turning point in his career.Tomlin put that young man back on track.

I def think we should start giving him starting time.Willie Parker could heal and become the explosive force as a breather to Mendy.

HometownGal
10-05-2009, 03:10 PM
If Mendy shows continuity in his play - YES. I'm not at the point where I am going to annoint him as the official starter.

sharkweek
10-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Mendenhall finally showed the same amount of heart and spark that he showed in that Rosebowl game against USC where he looked like the only Illini player that deserved to be there when he shredded the Trojans. It was that game that got me excited about the Steelers picking him in the draft, as surprising a pick as it was.

That being said, I think a lot of thanks needs to go to our OL. Our running game looked like it was going to explode against the Bungles but we inexplicably shook up our play calling too prematurely, getting too conservative/predictable and allowing the Bungles to stack the box.

That being said, I think we could pretty much plug and play either guy and have a Ronnie Brown/Ricky Williams type situation. However Mendenhall certainly does have a lot more upside to him due to his youth.

revefsreleets
10-05-2009, 03:33 PM
He can run for power and speed.

He can block

He can catch out of the backfield.

That is all.

Galax Steeler
10-05-2009, 03:40 PM
There is no way we will see that kind of numbers every week. The way he played last night it should get him more playing time from here on out. He has the ability to be a great back in the nfl and I hope last night was just the beginning of it.

Kvnfaber
10-05-2009, 03:52 PM
PEOPLE-Before we all get way too excited about Mendenhall (too late anyway) let's remember this was one game! A very small sample size against a Run D that allows 4.6 ypc.

In just about every other opportunity Mendenhall has had, he has not impressed.

If this is a turning point in his career where he "Gets It", then I will be ecstatic. However, at this point I will enjoy the awesome show he put on this week and hold conservative optimism that he will show this kind of determination and violent running style from this point on.

We shall see. But please don't annoint him our RB savior just yet! Let's see how he fare's over a larger span of playing time. I can't wait to see more.
:tt:

solardave
10-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Mendenhall has the ability to be an all-pro. He is that good.
I agree if he keeps his focus and begins to accept the fact that NFL stands for NOT FOR LONG. It's a what have you done lately league. He hit the hole at just the right time,ran with an attitude. I like that and I hope he continues to improve on these skills.
It's been pointed that Turf Toe ended Jack Lambert's career. Let's face it. Willie is good when he is healthy but he's missed a olt of action and we need someone full time. I hope Rashard is the man!

revefsreleets
10-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Yeah, let's just forget about last night (His first NFL start) and definitely ignore college when he was out drudging for yards in the Big Ten against defenses like OSU and PSU and USC and his 1,681 yards in 13 games and his gaudy 6.4 yards per carry and his 17 TD's. We should definitely stay as negative as possible here about Mendy...

AllD
10-05-2009, 04:07 PM
I wonder if he enjoyed being up at the podium after the game and being interviewed as a superstar. Once you get a taste of that, it's hard to give up.

SteelC7
10-05-2009, 04:13 PM
we need to see this kinda play for the remainder of the season to feel comfortable enough to let willie go wen the season is over, but i love how mendenhall played last nite, great, balanced, inside running that we havent had since 06-07 wen parker was in his prime

Sharkissle29
10-05-2009, 04:17 PM
PEOPLE-Before we all get way too excited about Mendenhall (too late anyway) let's remember this was one game! A very small sample size against a Run D that allows 4.6 ypc.

In just about every other opportunity Mendenhall has had, he has not impressed.

If this is a turning point in his career where he "Gets It", then I will be ecstatic. However, at this point I will enjoy the awesome show he put on this week and hold conservative optimism that he will show this kind of determination and violent running style from this point on.

We shall see. But please don't annoint him our RB savior just yet! Let's see how he fare's over a larger span of playing time. I can't wait to see more.
:tt:

what are these "opportunities" you speak of? 4 carries a game does not dictate a thing

NJarhead
10-05-2009, 04:21 PM
He can run for power and speed.

He can knock the crap out of the blitzer

He can catch out of the backfield.

That is all.

Your post needed adjusting. :chuckle:

Not to sound like a know it all, but I was not at all suprised by his perfomance last night. I was very impressed with how he started the Ravens game last year: No hesitation, good burst, pounds it and falls forward.

Provided he "stays on his details" I think he could really benefit the team and deserves the opportunity for more touches. If this motivates FWP to quit dancing behind the line on his touches, then so be it; Win-win.

Childers711
10-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Being from Champaign, I have watched Illini football for several years now. I personally attended every homegame that Mendy played in for the Illini. What you saw last night is identical to what he offered the Big Ten every week.

Even if you take into consideration that he was playing college football and not pro, his running and blocking still speaks for itself. So, rest easy Steelers Nation, Mendy is here to stay! I would not anticipate any fall off from him.

:tt02:

GridironWarrior
10-05-2009, 04:26 PM
He did something that Parker rarely does, he fell forward after contact. That says a lot right there. His first test will come against Minnesota before the bye. I still want him as the starter though. Willie is too injury prone.

Galax Steeler
10-05-2009, 04:28 PM
.In just about every other opportunity Mendenhall has had, he has not impressed.

What opportunity he got injured in his first start last year against the Ravens. That was the only time he had a real chance to play. This year he is getting more carries but if he keeps playing behind willie we will never see how good he really is. Give the man some touches and he will produce.

Kvnfaber
10-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Relax! I wasn't trying to be negative people. Like I said, I'm practicing conservative optimism.

I want to see more than one game against a bad run defense.

As far as opportunities, he certainly ruined any opportunity of playing offensively against Cincy by not being up to par mentally. like I said, I hope this is his turning point.

Rev-College Stats are great and all, but as far as I'm concerned you are at a new beginning once you step into the NFL and college stats will only get you so far. Jamarcus Russell completed 68% of his passes in College :chuckle: I know that is bad comparison, I just think it's funny.

If he runs with the same determination/drive from here on out he will be a great player. I am hoping that this is the case.

DoubleSh0t
10-05-2009, 04:54 PM

This is how the Chargers do with their run D, ranked by average YPC.

1. S. Holmes (PIT) 1/7 | 7 AVG | 0 TD
2. R. Williams (MIA) 8/55 | 6.9 AVG | 1 TD
3. R. Mendenhall (PIT) 29/165 | 5.7 AVG | 2 TD
4. W. McGahee (BAL) 15/79 | 5.3 AVG | 2 TD
5. M. Bush (OAK) 12/55 | 4.6 AVG | 1 TD
6. R. Rice (BAL) 8/36 | 4.5 AVG | 0 TD
7. R. Brown (MIA) 18/75 | 4.2 AVG | 0 TD
8. D. McFadden (OAK) 17/68 | 4 AVG | 0 TD

Ricky Williams is averaging 5.0 YPC, Ronnie Brown is averaging 5.1, McGahee 5.4, Bush 4.0, Rice 6.0, McFadden 3.1.

This tells me 2 things: Yes, the Chargers run D is suspect. However, all these backs are putting up fairly decent number so far this season. This isn't a fluke, and I don't think this was a fluke game for Mendy either.

wootawnee
10-05-2009, 04:56 PM
WIllie had the "Oh shit I just lost My Job" look on his face everytime the camera panned on him after a big run...........

GridironWarrior
10-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Mendy fell forward almost all the time. How often does Willie do that? That's a plus in my book already.

Kvnfaber
10-05-2009, 05:19 PM
This is how the Chargers do with their run D, ranked by average YPC.

1. S. Holmes (PIT) 1/7 | 7 AVG | 0 TD
2. R. Williams (MIA) 8/55 | 6.9 AVG | 1 TD
3. R. Mendenhall (PIT) 29/165 | 5.7 AVG | 2 TD
4. W. McGahee (BAL) 15/79 | 5.3 AVG | 2 TD
5. M. Bush (OAK) 12/55 | 4.6 AVG | 1 TD
6. R. Rice (BAL) 8/36 | 4.5 AVG | 0 TD
7. R. Brown (MIA) 18/75 | 4.2 AVG | 0 TD
8. D. McFadden (OAK) 17/68 | 4 AVG | 0 TD

Ricky Williams is averaging 5.0 YPC, Ronnie Brown is averaging 5.1, McGahee 5.4, Bush 4.0, Rice 6.0, McFadden 3.1.

This tells me 2 things: Yes, the Chargers run D is suspect. However, all these backs are putting up fairly decent number so far this season. This isn't a fluke, and I don't think this was a fluke game for Mendy either.

I'm not saying this was a fluke, I'm just saying I want to see a bigger sample size before I get too excited. I'm certainly all for more of games like this.

simonsfs30
10-05-2009, 05:23 PM
that block he had was sweet too.....they still got a sack on ben, but it was a phenomenal block

both blocks were great he just need to keep blocking them, but that would be coached.

He is that good?

To early to judge one full game doesnt mean everything when he played bad i still said its to early to judge, wait maybe 3 games he STARTS and now we can judge, he needed CONFIDENCE as SWEED

BUT it was nice to see him running HARD :tt03:

stillers4me
10-05-2009, 05:23 PM
WIllie had the "Oh shit I just lost My Job" look on his face everytime the camera panned on him after a big run...........

Tomlin lit a fire under Mendenhall. Maybe Mendenhall can light a fire under Willie's little butt.

You gotta love Tomlin's methods.

GridironWarrior
10-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Dudes Mendy fell forward! Is nobody reading my post? That's a huge plus!

GridironWarrior
10-05-2009, 05:45 PM
i bring up a good point and it gets ignored.

Preacher
10-05-2009, 06:14 PM

So did Parker and MeMo in the last game. All of them were driving the pile in the game against Chicago and against the Bengals.

mulldog24
10-05-2009, 06:21 PM

I really liked seeing that from Mendy but also what I really liked was that he would PUSH THE PILE!!!! OH!! Gotta give props to Kemoeatu what a hell of a night for him!!!!!!!!!!:tt03::tt04::tt02:

NJarhead
10-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Your post needed adjusting. :chuckle:

Not to sound like a know it all, but I was not at all suprised by his perfomance last night. I was very impressed with how he started the Ravens game last year: No hesitation, good burst, pounds it and falls forward.

Provided he "stays on his details" I think he could really benefit the team and deserves the opportunity for more touches. If this motivates FWP to quit dancing behind the line on his touches, then so be it; Win-win.

Way ahead of you.

Rek
10-05-2009, 06:58 PM
SD allowed 4.6 yards per carry against Oakland (draft bust McFadden), Ravens (a team that no longer runs the ball), and the Dolphins (who's running back is only known to pick up yards if in the wildcat formation).

Mendenhall is easily the best RB of all the Chargers faced this year, but that is hardly a statement.

We won't see until after our 3-week bye period a formidable Defense to test Mendy.

P.S. I will say, holy bejeezus his arms are big.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200809/rashard0928_500.jpg

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
10-05-2009, 07:00 PM
One word... "perhaps"

X-Terminator
10-05-2009, 07:04 PM
I loved the way he ran last night and I definitely believe in the kid, but let's not crown him just yet. I want to see what he does when he goes up against better run defenses like Minnesota and Baltimore. He won't get 100 yards against either, but I want to see if he can put up 65-70. If he does, then I'll start to think he has arrived. Plus, knowing the fickle nature of Steelers fans, all it'll take is one fumble next week and it's back to the "bust" talk again.

Sharkissle29
10-05-2009, 08:06 PM
I just like how he is constantly moving his feet, they pump north south. Unlike willie who at times, pumps his feet and stays in place as he is too hesitant.

if mendy sees a hole, he darts at it and hits it HARD. i dont know if you guys noticed, but on one of his long runs the safety came untouched, and mendy ran through his arm tackle like it was the wind. it was beautiful

MattsMe
10-05-2009, 08:16 PM

:iagree:

I loved what I saw, but I'm not ready to call him the next greatest thing just yet.