PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the backfield....

Neil-Still-Rules-14
10-05-2009, 04:35 PM
I just wanted to get your take on the situation. I personally believe that Mendenhall should be the starter. Not only because of his performance yesterday, but also because that is the reason he was drafted in the first place. I would say that Parker has maybe one more season left in him anyways. Moore also has proven to be a terrific receiver as well as a good spot starter. I believe that Parker is a FA at the end of the season, so I would say have him finish this season as a backup and let him go.

SteelC7
10-05-2009, 05:10 PM
ya let mendenhall have the rest of the season so we can see if we wanna let parker go or stay, one game doesnt make a career, lets not forget how bad the chargers defense is, so if rashard can do this the rest of the year, ya let parker go

slippy
10-05-2009, 05:53 PM
if parker keeps on getting injured, he will not have many free agent offers to consider.

Preacher
10-05-2009, 06:00 PM
if parker keeps on getting injured, he will not have many free agent offers to consider.

Exactly.

I still love FWP. However, what I don't love is the injury bug that keeps biting him. You know he was just salivating over the holes being opened up last night.

Hotrodder07
10-05-2009, 06:01 PM
I think the next two weeks, Parker get's the majority of the carries. Something like 60/40. If Mendenhall shows that he is producing more than Parker, I say they start making the transition to Mendenhall being the feature back.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
10-05-2009, 06:05 PM
This season, Willie Parker has 52 carries for 159 yards. In the last game, Mendenhall had 29 carries for 165 yards. Just saying.

Gnutella
10-05-2009, 06:08 PM
I want Rashard Mendenhall to be the starter. He makes up his mind quicker, and while that sometimes only results in a yard or two, it's better than dancing around in the backfield and getting hit for a loss like Willie Parker does on a regular basis.

Here's how I see the RBs and their job descriptions in 2010:

Starting RB - Rashard Mendenhall
Goal-line/short yardage RB - Isaac Redman
All-purpose RB - Mewelde Moore

Neil-Still-Rules-14
10-05-2009, 06:12 PM
I want Rashard Mendenhall to be the starter. He makes up his mind quicker, and while that sometimes only results in a yard or two, it's better than dancing around in the backfield and getting hit for a loss like Willie Parker does on a regular basis.

Here's how I see the RBs and their job descriptions in 2010:

Starting RB - Rashard Mendenhall
Goal-line/short yardage RB - Isaac Redman
All-purpose RB - Mewelde Moore

Pretty accurate in my opinion. But I see it as
1. Rashard Mendenhall- Starter
2. Mewelde Moore-3rd Down Back
3. Isaac Redman-Spell back and not much more

By the look of things yesterday, Mendenhall doesn't need a substitution on short yardage situations.

arge5809
10-05-2009, 06:49 PM
If Mendy has another performance like this in Detroit, we may be facing a full-blown halfback controversy.
That's a big "if", tho'. Don't forget that MeMo looked stellar last night too. The off-the-chain running game had a lot more to do with San Diego's pitiful run defense than any one man's effort IMO.

I just heard that Isaac Redman has been released. :crying02:
http://www.steelers.com/article/111511/

Redman was released and Eason was resigned.

Preacher
10-05-2009, 07:03 PM
This season, Willie Parker has 52 carries for 159 yards. In the last game, Mendenhall had 29 carries for 165 yards. Just saying.

Again, not a good comparison, because the line that played Run offense last night hasn't been seen for 3 years.

ricksteelers55
10-05-2009, 08:44 PM

but to be fair Mendenhall has had a better blocker in front of him yesterday(Davis played better than Summers) and the OL was way better yesterday than in the first 3 games.

BUT I would admit that Mendenhall had no hesitation yesterday finding the holes and running north and south.(when he had no holes running in Kemo's back in 1st half,he kept his feet moving and found the hole for a gain of 5 instead of a loss of a yard)

on the Willie's contract situation
I would love to keep our RB stable like that at the end of the year but I know Willie might want to start somewhere else(although not guaranteed someone will pay for a guy who is always injured)

on the way I would deal with the situation right now
I think we make a smooth transition,next week I think they cannot put Mendenhall back on the bench.They've benched him because of his lack of attention to details,now the following week he had an incredible week of practices and played a heck of a game.Now what you're telling the kid ? Sorry kid you did everything that we wanted you to do but it was just until Willie cameback now go back on the bench we will give you maybe 5 carries today if you're nice?

No you dont do that you tell Willie look,you've been injured you're still bothered by that turf toe...Rashard will be the starter we will give him around 15-20 carries you might get 10 depending on the pace of the game til you get healthier.Then if the kid keeps running with a lot of purpose you guys will split carries depending on situations.

that is how i'd do it