View Full Version : Steelers' Polamalu eyes return against Lions

mesaSteeler
10-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Steelers' Polamalu eyes return against Lions
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_646613.html#
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Following another sketchy fourth-quarter performance by the Steelers' defense, all eyes will be on All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu. Polamalu hasn't played since spraining his left knee in the Steelers' Sept. 10 season opener. He ran last week, and he may try to practice this week with the goal of returning to the field Sunday when the Steelers visit the Detroit Lions.

"I've been pleased with his progress," coach Mike Tomlin said after the Steelers' 38-28 win over the San Diego Chargers on Sunday night. "We'll see where he is as we push toward game time."

Polamalu has the Steelers' only interception this season, and the Steelers have had trouble shutting down opposing offenses in the fourth quarter of games. San Diego needed just seven plays to score two touchdowns against the Steelers' defense in the fourth quarter.

"This is a 60-minute ball game, not 59 or 58," cornerback Ike Taylor said. "It's something we can work on."

Jeff Reed said he had put the two field goals he missed in a 17-14 loss to the Chicago Bears on Sept. 20 behind him. But it sure didn't hurt for him to make a pressure kick as he did by booting a 46-yard field goal to seal the Steelers' win over the Chargers.

"I want those back, but you can't," Reed said of his fourth-quarter misses in Chicago. "Everybody needs to relax, including myself. I'm confident I'm good. You've just got to look forward."

The Steelers re-signed defensive end Nick Eason on Monday and released rookie running back Isaac Redman. Redman, who the Steelers signed Saturday because of depth concerns at running back, will likely be re-signed to the practice squad. Eason signed with the Steelers in 2007. He had been inactive for the Steelers' first three games this season.

DIGITS

5.8 Yards Rashard Mendenhall is averaging a carry.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Galax Steeler
10-06-2009, 04:00 AM
Sounds like Troy might play this week I sure hope so our D misses him. He is a big cog in our deffense that makes it turn.

pancake
10-06-2009, 04:13 AM
Sounds like Troy might play this week I sure hope so our D misses him. He is a big cog in our deffense that makes it turn.

I would like him to rest one more game if he is healthy and have the Browns his first game back, before the Ratbirds.

Preacher
10-06-2009, 04:15 AM
I would like him to rest one more game if he is healthy and have the Browns his first game back, before the Ratbirds.

Yep. give him another week to heal. PLEASE. We need him in the stretch.

The_WARDen
10-06-2009, 06:50 AM
They can beat the Lions without him. Rest up. Tune up against the Clowns and then be ready for the stretch run.

mesaSteeler
10-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Yep. give him another week to heal. PLEASE. We need him in the stretch.

I agree. I hope they take their time putting him back in. We don't need him for the Lions or the Clowns.

HometownGal
10-06-2009, 07:33 AM

BINGO. :thumbsup: I'd like to see him healed 100% before returning. As Preacher so correctly stated above, we need him for the stretch.

Fire Haley
10-06-2009, 10:38 AM
"he may try to practice this week"

Doesn't sound anything like he's going to play to me.

We'll see.

memphissteelergirl
10-06-2009, 10:46 AM
I agree with most here. I'd rather have him at 100 percent when we really get into division play.

fansince'76
10-06-2009, 10:50 AM
I'd rather he rest up and come back for the Vikings after spot duty against the Browns to shake the rust off, but it's not my call.

SteelMember
10-06-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm no going to get my hopes up. Yes, he is a difference maker, but with the lions and the browns coming up next, I'd almost rather him sit. Just so he's ready for the vikes. We're definately going to need him then.

fansince'76
10-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Let him play he is the only DB on the team, capable of making an interception. If he comes back this week he can still make the pro bowl at this rate he will be there as the solo steeler rep, besides maybe Heath Miller if he keeps getting Tds in the redzone.. Ben won't make it cuz Afc is stacked with QBs no need to mention their names

Don't care about the Pro Bowl - it's just a popularity contest anyway. You can pretty much guess at 80% of the rosters for it before the damn season is even played anymore and be right. Manning will make it regardless of whether or not someone else is more deserving. Brady will make it regardless of whether or not someone else is more deserving. Favre will make it regardless of whether or not someone else is more deserving. AP will make it regardless of whether or not someone else is more deserving. Moss will make it regardless of whether or not someone else is more deserving, etc., etc.

steelpride12
10-06-2009, 12:39 PM
I hope Polumalu is 100% if he decides to play this Sunday. We will need him towards the end of the season and losing him long term because he get re injured would screw us. Also maybe just playing him sparingly or only on pass plays and thirds downs just for a game.

Fire Haley
10-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Polamalu could participate in practice on 'limited basis'

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Troy Polamalu, who has missed the past three games with a left knee injury, could return to practice Tuesday on a limited basis but isn't sure whether the All-Pro safety will play Sunday at Detroit.

"Troy's been doing well and progressing well," Tomlin said. "He may participate in a limited basis tomorrow in practice with a brace on for individual (drills), to see how he runs around and changes direction. Last week, he ran some in a straight line to pretty solid reviews. We'll take another step to see where he is.

"What that means to his game participation is unclear at this point. We'll get him back out there on the practice field and see how he responds to that."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_646688.html

Christian Snyder
10-06-2009, 01:19 PM
I'd rather he rest up and come back for the Vikings after spot duty against the Browns to shake the rust off, but it's not my call.
I agree.

Nadroj 20
10-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Our next two games are agianst the lions and the browns....take it easy troy and rest it up.....at least one more week anyway

AllD
10-06-2009, 03:35 PM
I think it is a matter of him wanting to get back on the field. It's hard to sit and watch from the sidelines. He also knows if he is ready or not to come back. Maybe a few plays to get his rhythm back and tune-up any rough edges.

Steel_Bus_24
10-06-2009, 04:25 PM
I would like to see some spot duty as well to shake off the rust and get him back up to game speed or should I say Troy Speed

I wasn't even expecting him back until after the bye week, but it would be big for us to have a %100 Troy for that Vikes game, but we'll need him even more late in the season against Balt and hopefully a long playoff run

BigBenFn7
10-06-2009, 04:29 PM
I would let him rest another week. Let him come back against the Browns so he gets some game action before the tough part of the schedule hits.

BlueSteel
10-06-2009, 05:40 PM
I think it's good news to hear he's gonna get some work in during practice to gauge where he's at but I doubt he plays @DET this week. Doesn't make much sense to hurry him back when he'll be needed much more later in the season.

beSteelmyheart
10-06-2009, 05:58 PM
I agree with keeping him out vs. Detroit & Cleveland & letting him get back up to speed-it would really suck to see him aggravate an injury at a time when he will be needed the most!

Steelboy84
10-06-2009, 07:29 PM

Agreed.