PDA

View Full Version : Ward still the #1 WR option?

GridironWarrior
10-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Looks like Ward is still the #1 WR after speculation that Holmes might take that spot this year. Is his wrist doing better? He doesn’t seem to be himself since having the good game 1 against the Titans.

steelpride12
10-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Ward deserves the #1 spot regardless who has better stats or whatever. He has been a Steeler all his career passing the 10,000 yards mark with all the all time records. Also since he won't be in the league much longer I expect Ward to retire still with that number 1 spot in hand. He is clutch and our best hands down.

steelreserve
10-06-2009, 11:41 AM
He sure the hell looks like the #1 receiver. He's been putting up about 100 yards a week except for the Chicago monsoon-season game. This may be the best I've seen him in quite a while. He seriously looks like he could keep playing until he's 45 at this rate.

The_WARDen
10-06-2009, 11:43 AM
"To be da man, you gotta beat da man! Wooo!"

Holmes isn't quite there yet...he's showing signs and is close, but not yet.

:tt04:

BlastFurnace
10-06-2009, 11:51 AM
IMO, Hines plays a WR role in our offense that no other WR on our roster can play.

That is why I cringe on the day he retires.

Along with Ben, he is the heart and soul of our offense.

tyler289
10-06-2009, 11:56 AM
We have 1a and 1b with Holmes and Ward. Either could be the top option any given week.

SteelC7
10-06-2009, 02:45 PM
i agree with tyler289, either guy can be the no. 1 any game, sometimes ward gets all the catches, sometimes holmes does, im happy either way, both produce, except ward doesnt dropANY passes, but thats why hes a HoFer

Nadroj 20
10-06-2009, 02:48 PM
i agree with tyler289, either guy can be the no. 1 any game, sometimes ward gets all the catches, sometimes holmes does, im happy either way, both produce, except ward doesnt dropANY passes, but thats why hes a HoFer

Your right but he actually did drop a pass sunday night lol.....it is rare tho

srk173
10-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Ward and holmes play different positions. They are both #1 at their position. Not sure what the question is.

MasterOfPuppets
10-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Ward and holmes play different positions. They are both #1 at their position. Not sure what the question is.
i think he means "the go to guy" , :noidea:

TackleMeBen
10-06-2009, 03:39 PM
except ward doesnt dropANY passes
no he just fumbles it inside the 5....lol.

ward is the man at WR, no one plays its like he does.

Carolina Steelers
10-06-2009, 04:10 PM
IMO its not even close I think Holmes as a Super Bowl Hangover (Its time to be great) Holmes was quiet last yr till the playoffs where he came up with some key plays. Everyone expected Holmes to take over the #1 based on the playoffs but it hasnt happened. Ben looks for Hines and Heath when he needs a tough catch or 1st down. Ward is #1 Holmes is #2 Wallace #2A (LOL not yet but I like what hes doing)

AllD
10-06-2009, 04:22 PM
IMO its not even close I think Holmes as a Super Bowl Hangover (Its time to be great) Holmes was quiet last yr till the playoffs where he came up with some key plays. Everyone expected Holmes to take over the #1 based on the playoffs but it hasnt happened. Ben looks for Hines and Heath when he needs a tough catch or 1st down. Ward is #1 Holmes is #2 Wallace #2A (LOL not yet but I like what hes doing)

You also see Wallace getting into the game, plus Moore and Mendy coming up with big catches out of the backfield.

I mentioned a few weeks ago that the team needs to throw more to the RBs in order to reduce the blitzing. If BB throws a few quick passes that will also keep the defense off balance.

We have the best group of receivers in the NFL. The OL has finally stepped up and we open up the running game with passing. How fundamental.

AllD
10-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Swann-Stallworth-Ward

#1A-#1B-#1C

Psyychoward86
10-06-2009, 06:42 PM
i don't know why it's such a surprise to some people that Hines is still the go-to-guy

Rek
10-06-2009, 07:33 PM
If you want to move the sticks, you're damn right you throw to Ward. If you want the deep ball, throw to Holmes. If you want the REAL deep ball, you throw to Wallace. If you want someone to get Gatorade for the team, you got Limas Sweed.

Cmdurand21
10-06-2009, 08:03 PM
I don't know if Holmes is even option 2. Miller gets a lot of passes. I'm not opposed to it either, because Miller pounds the LBS and DBS when he gets the ball, just like Ward!

tmacsteelerfan
10-06-2009, 09:29 PM
With all that Hines has done with the Steelers he'll stay number 1 until he retires I think.

Dodt
10-06-2009, 09:47 PM
when he retires i hope he stays with the team as a WR coach.

HometownGal
10-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Until Hines hangs up his cleats, he IS the Steelers #1 wideout in every sense of the word, but when it's time for Hines to hand over the scepter to Santo, I have no doubt that he will make Hines a very proud mentor. :thumbsup:

7SteelGal43
10-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Ward still the #1 WR option?

YES

Galax Steeler
10-07-2009, 05:06 AM
Until Hines hangs up his cleats, he IS the Steelers #1 wideout in every sense of the word, but when it's time for Hines to hand over the scepter to Santo, I have no doubt that he will make Hines a very proud mentor. :thumbsup:

Well said Ward is still the best on the team and he probably will be until he retires. When that time comes it will be time for Holmes to step in and then you will have Wallace waiting in the wing.

steelwalls
10-07-2009, 05:55 AM
Without even reading through this entire thread Im just comming out with my answer to the original question. Which may seem like a cop out but, it's all with the best interest in the team.

Ward #1 option when you need 5 yards and you can hit him on a timing route over the middle....alllllll.day

Holmes #1 when more than 5 to 10 yards are needed and you want to take him out to the flats, one move streaks and all the longer plays.