PDA

View Full Version : Where We Stand Going Into Week 5

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Where We Stand Going Into Week 5

2 wins and 2 losses. No way around that. As of right now we are a .500 team. No excuses, no what-ifs.

The immediate future looks good with the next two games being Detroit and Cleveland, so unless Ben takes up Motorbike Demolition Derby again, we should go into the Minnesota game 4-2.

I firmly believe that stats can be decieving so take the following stats for what they are worth. I think on a basic level there is alot to be happy about, and I think it is obvious there are some areas that need to addressed.

OFFENSE

#6 Ranked Total Offense: This is made up of the #3 ranked passing offense and the#16 ranked run offense.

What this means: Being in the top team in overall offense is good news considering the problems we have had with the running game. I think there is reason to believe that we actually will be ranked higher in the near future based on the play of the O-line and the emergence of M-hall at the RB position. Even if Willie gets his starting position back, which is probable, I think he will have some rear-mirror motivation from here on out.

DEFENSE

#5 Ranked Total defense: Made up of the #3 ranked run defense and #15 ranked pass defense.

What this means: Hard to believe that we are #5 with the way our defense has played in the 4th quarter, but make no mistake about it, the return of Polamalu is going to patch up a pass defense that has been scrambling to replace a player that teams have to plan against. His return will not only raise the ranking on our pass defense but will have a positive effect on the run defense. Any team that thinks they will be able to air it out in the 4th is going to be surprised when our secondary can get back to playing in the postitions and way they are used to.

Special Teams:

#7 net average in punts: our punt team is much better than this stat shows. Our ranking is lowered by the fact that Sepulveda doesnt have to punt the length of the field on a regular basis. He is ranked #8 in pinning opponants inside the 20. Our punt defense is ranked #8 also, and a lot of that can be accredited to Sepulveda's leg.

#14 in kickoff average: This may be higher except that our kickoff defense is ranked #24, which is unacceptable. Nothing wrong with Reeds leg on kickoffs, but plenty that can be criticized in our coverage.

#21 in punt returns and #14 in kickoff returns: Not numbers to get excited about at all, but every true Steeler fan is happy that we are not muffing returns every game. I give Logan a pass on losing a ball last game, that play falls on the back of the officiating crew who should have blown the play dead long before the ball was stripped. Like many, I have a feeling with every return that Logan is ready to take one to the house.

#28 in field goal %: If you are going to turn down a contract to be the Steelers field goal kicker, you had better be prepared to show us that you are worth MORE money. Reed is doing the opposite this year. He has won plenty of games for us and I give him a little bit of a benefit of a doubt, but he is working himself towards a day where he hears "With their 5th round pick in the 2010 draft, the Steelers choose Aaron Pettrey, Kicker out of Ohio State."

Take these stats for what they are worth, but all in all I think we have a lot to be optimistic about.

TackleMeBen
10-06-2009, 12:25 PM
The immediate future looks good with the next two games being Detroit and Cleveland, so unless Ben takes up Motorbike Demolition Derby again, we should go into the Minnesota game 4-2.
LLt, don't give him any ideas now...:chuckle:

i think we can beat Minn.

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Make no mistake about it...A team ranked #5 in defense and #6 in offense is showing Superbowl potential.

Gotta shore up the holes, Get Troy back (after the Detroit game, in my opinion)..and get our swagger back.

SteelGhost
10-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Nice read LLT ! I think Troy's presence against the Vikes will make Favre not so comfortable to throw his short passes, I hope Troy has a pick six and Silverback/Woodley a couple of sacks. Yes, Minny is beatable putting pressure on BF.

My .02

lamberts-lost-tooth
10-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Nice read LLT ! I think Troy's presence against the Vikes will make Favre not so comfortable to throw his short passes, I hope Troy has a pick six and Silverback/Woodley a couple of sacks. Yes, Minny is beatable putting pressure on BF.

My .02

Agreed, Troy in the lineup changes everyone's responsibilities and we can get back to playing Steelers "D".

revefsreleets
10-06-2009, 01:14 PM
I don't expect TOO much of a leap in the run offense, maybe a few more spots...I'd like to see, and think they are capable, of a top 10 standing. I think the passing offense hovers at 3-5 all year, and if we can pull up those running stats, we'll stay a top 5 offense.

The pass defense will improve, and the run defense will probably move into the #2-3 positions when things level out. Expect a top 5 defense no matter what. That WILL improve.

I also think we'll see some ST improvement, DEFINITELY in the FG made category.

If we have a top 5 offense and defense, we will be a very dangerous team down the stretch.

steelreserve
10-06-2009, 01:23 PM
[B]OFFENSE

#6 Ranked Total Offense: This is made up of the #3 ranked passing offense and the#16 ranked run offense.

What this means: Being in the top team in overall offense is good news considering the problems we have had with the running game. I think there is reason to believe that we actually will be ranked higher in the near future based on the play of the O-line and the emergence of M-hall at the RB position. Even if Willie gets his starting position back, which is probable, I think he will have some rear-mirror motivation from here on out.

One thing that tells the story for me ... we're the #6 ranked offense, but #15 in scoring. We've been plagued by a combination of bad breaks and making mistakes at the worst possible times -- but with even average luck, the offense as a whole is more like what we saw in Week 4 than what we saw in Weeks 1-2. Odds are we'll get better at putting points on the board and stay better.

The offensive line has made a huge improvement this season. Part of it seems to be Kemo gaining experience, and I wonder if another big part isn't Essex taking over for Stapleton. He's had his iffy moments here and there, but it seems like we get a lot better push running the ball and open more holes -- with Stapleton in there, that side got murdered in the running game.

Parker ... god, I hope Parker doesn't get the starting job back. That's the one thing that could put our offense back in that crappy on-again, off-again mode where we look like we can march right down the field one time, then have a couple completely incompetent three-and-outs, and drive 30 yards and suddenly stop the rest of the time. For some reason, people don't see this taking place, but that's what happens when you have an inconsistent running game. That's squarely on Parker, and now that we've seen what happens when you don't have that problem, I see no reason to go back to that shit.

SteelGhost
10-06-2009, 01:34 PM
One thing that tells the story for me ... we're the #6 ranked offense, but #15 in scoring. We've been plagued by a combination of bad breaks and making mistakes at the worst possible times -- but with even average luck, the offense as a whole is more like what we saw in Week 4 than what we saw in Weeks 1-2. Odds are we'll get better at putting points on the board and stay better.

The offensive line has made a huge improvement this season. Part of it seems to be Kemo gaining experience, and I wonder if another big part isn't Essex taking over for Stapleton. He's had his iffy moments here and there, but it seems like we get a lot better push running the ball and open more holes -- with Stapleton in there, that side got murdered in the running game.

Parker ... god, I hope Parker doesn't get the starting job back. That's the one thing that could put our offense back in that crappy on-again, off-again mode where we look like we can march right down the field one time, then have a couple completely incompetent three-and-outs, and drive 30 yards and suddenly stop the rest of the time. For some reason, people don't see this taking place, but that's what happens when you have an inconsistent running game. That's squarely on Parker, and now that we've seen what happens when you don't have that problem, I see no reason to go back to that shit.

I agree, IMHO Essex is an upgrade over Stapleton. And for Parker, don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything he has done for the team, but I think his days in B&G are numbered, even my wife told me once.. "Why this guy dances instead of attacking the hole ? " :doh:

SteelC7
10-06-2009, 02:48 PM
i just wanna see troy back this week, maybe next week...but the problem is, wen the steelers play a team that sucks, we play down to their level, i hope we dont do that again and lose to th lions, NO WAY!!!!

slippy
10-06-2009, 07:28 PM
ummm.....we last played the raiders in 2006.

Cmdurand21
10-06-2009, 07:52 PM
ummm.....we last played the raiders in 2006.

But, in his defense, we did get pummeled.

Anyway, Mendenhall has more yards on the season than Willie Parker while FWP has 15 or so more carries. Mendy should atleast split drives/carries. The styles of FWP and Mendy even match. A bruiser and a speed guy, match made in heaven.

Also in week 2-3 pretty much every Steeler was on the chopping blocks Everyone was taking the blame, especially Reed and Sweed. But, the one player who has been extremely mediocre for the Steelers is Santonio Holmes. He's should be eclipsing Ward in receiving by this point in his career. And, he's simply not making the plays that he should. He hasn't been too bad, I'm just waiting for that breakout game this season :tt03:

Also, if you want to fire Ariens still, you are retarded :)

tmacsteelerfan
10-06-2009, 09:14 PM
The big stats will definitely come in our next two games. Number 5 ranked defense is good but very unusual for the steelers.