PDA

View Full Version : San Diego's Defense

steeltheone
10-06-2009, 11:45 AM
I'm really happy about our Offense and Mendenhall. But we must look at Stats before we get carried away.

Tenn Ranked 7th in rush D
Chic Ranked 10th in rush D
Cinn Ranked 14th in rush D
The Chargers ranked 28th

So keeping this in perspective. We did what we should have against a bad Defense. Parker probably would have done pretty good also. :tt03:

fansince'76
10-06-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm really happy about our Offense and Mendenhall. But we must look at Stats before we get carried away.

The Chargers ranked 28th

So keeping this in perspective. We did what we should have against a bad Defense. Parker probably would have done pretty good also. :tt03:

We got absolutely stuffed last year against the Colts and their run D was ranked 25th at the time.

Edman
10-06-2009, 11:58 AM
The Steelers had some success running against Cinci.

Last year, the Steelers couldn't run on ANYONE.

revefsreleets
10-06-2009, 12:11 PM
I agree that the Chargers defense is not very good. However, they are still a pro team, and we still needed to go out and execute a gameplan in order to have success against them. At WORST you could say we did what we should have done, and that's worst case...had we done what we should have done prior to the Chargers game, we'd be 4-0 and atop every power ranking.

SteelMember
10-06-2009, 12:21 PM
So the Chargers were the 1st 3-4 D we played against.

I think Arians had a good gameplan going in and Mendy excecuted very well. As far as saying Parker would have had the same success...he may have, but I think Mendy ran with some authority and didn't spend a lot of time thinking about where he was going. And that has been the biggest arguement against Parker.

steelreserve
10-06-2009, 12:34 PM
This early in the season, team rankings are kind of misleading. One game can have a huge influence on where you place. We and Baltimore put up huge numbers against them, and they've pretty much faced all opponents with good running attacks, so their numbers are a little worse than they'll probably end up being by the end of the year. I tend to think San Diego is an average defense that drops to slightly below average because it has problems against good passers. That's what they were last year.

Anyway ... we did what we should have, but I don't think they were quite the pushovers some people are saying. Parker would've done pretty well, I guess, but it was pretty obvious that you could take at least 40-50 yards off his total because of plays where Mendenhall finished the run and Parker never does.

Dino 6 Rings
10-06-2009, 12:42 PM
what were the Chargers ranked for defense PRIOR to us playing them and punching them in the face for 60 minutes?

stlrtruck
10-06-2009, 12:42 PM
As I heard recently:

Stats are for baseball. The only thing I care about in football is the W

SteelC7
10-06-2009, 08:31 PM
ya parker has been dancing around and not hitting the hole with authority like mendenhall has

LVSteelersfan
10-06-2009, 09:55 PM
I assume none of you are the same people who keep calling Mendenhall a bust. Amazing what a difference one game makes. For the record, I was never one of those who called him a bust but the jury is still out on him until we play someone who has a good defense.

HometownGal
10-06-2009, 10:23 PM

The Chargers ranked 28th

I'm not going to nitpick at a great performance by Mendy and our OL in that game. Stats schmats - don't mean jack doodly doo. Mendy showed spunk, grit and auth-or-it-tay in that game and before I crown him as the legitimate starter over FWP, I'd like to see continuity. For the present moment, I'm happy we have two legitimate starters in our backfield and I'm sure not gonna bitch about it. :tt02:

solardave
10-07-2009, 03:28 AM
I'm not going to nitpick at a great performance by Mendy and our OL in that game. Stats schmats - don't mean jack doodly doo. Mendy showed spunk, grit and auth-or-it-tay in that game and before I crown him as the legitimate starter over FWP, I'd like to see continuity. For the present moment, I'm happy we have two legitimate starters in our backfield and I'm sure not gonna bitch about it. :tt02:

Agreed! Keep up the great work Rashard. And all you O-line. Keep on rockin'.

CPanther95
10-07-2009, 07:15 AM
They're 28th now after we lit them up for 160+ yards.:wink02:

fansince'76
10-07-2009, 08:09 AM
I assume none of you are the same people who keep calling Mendenhall a bust.

In my case, you assumed correct. I have this little thing called patience. The jury's still out either way, IMO.

cubanstogie
10-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Does anyone on this forum look at the glass as half full. This is ridiculous, week in and week out players heads are being called for if they have a bad game, hell even the best Defensive coordinator ever has been questioned. We finally run for huge yardage and we are told not to enjoy it because the D of San Diego sucks. Funny SD was picked to go to SB for last few years, so someone must see some talent. As far as I am concerned, Sweed is the only big goat of the year but I think he will turn it around similar to what Nate Washington did. The coaches do mention he has a great work ethic. I don't care if we were playing Ohio State, our line opened up big holes, especially Kemo and Mendy ran through them along with some defenders with a burst of speed and I was very impressed.