PDA

View Full Version : tomlins press conference oct.6

tony hipchest
10-06-2009, 07:18 PM
pretty long...

http://pit.scout.com/2/906501.html

on lions defense-

Defensively, they’ve kind of taken a different approach. They’ve gone out and acquired some quality veteran free agents and intermingled those guys with some draft picks, guys like the guy we’re familiar with in the middle, Larry Foote. Of course, we all know that he’s a top-quality player and person, high character guy and great leader for those guys. They seem to be molding well under his leadership. Julian Peterson’s another top-quality guy who’s got Pro Bowl experience at the linebacker level for them. They’ve got a nice corner in Anthony Henry, who’s familiar with playing the Steelers, got drafted into this league by the Cleveland Browns, has played rock-solid ball everywhere he’s been and, really, has continued that thus far in Detroit this year. They’re mixing in some young guys with those guys. Sammie Hill, who we looked at prior to the draft and brought in for a visit, is a big, strong, raw athlete from Stillman. He’s starting and playing well for those guys inside, along with a veteran acquisition, Grady Jackson. (Louis) Delmas at safety I think was the Rookie of the Month for September and deservedly so. This guy can cover a lot of grass, likes to hit people. It’s obvious that he plays with a great deal of passion. I like what he’s doing, and now they’re starting to pick up some contributions from (DeAndre) Levy, a linebacker from Wisconsin who’s playing some sub-package football for them, some 4-4 football for them. Really doing some nice things there. That said, we’ve got to sharpen our sword for this battle and we intend to do so.

David Johnson, who’s missed some action here of late, should be back at practice and we’re excited about getting that young man back out, seeing what he can do. And Willie Parker may be limited again here at the top of the week as he deals with his turf toe. Hopefully we can get him back and game ready.

wow... "excited" to get d. johnson back.

Q: Could you talk about how Ike Taylor did matching up against top guys the last two weeks and whether maybe you’ll do it again this week?

A: There’s no ‘maybe’ about that. Why hold that secret? I’m sure you guys understand that Ike Taylor will be following Calvin Johnson. Ike is a top quality player. He has the desire to be great. His actions match his words in that regard. He prepares extremely hard every week. He’s as good a practice player as we have. He’s always game for those challenges. He and I usually have funny exchanges early in the week when he comes and asks for those premium matchups, and that’s what the great ones at that position – or the ones that desire to be great at that position – that’s the mentality that they have. He didn’t wait till Wednesday to ask about that matchup this week. He doesn’t take it lightly. We don’t take it lightly. We know what that guy’s capable of. We’re not going to send him over there to stop Calvin Johnson. He’s going to have some help in different forms and fashion, but that’s just the nature of the game. He’s a good player. The more you have, the more we’re going to ask you to give, and he does week in and week out.

he loves ike.

Q: How did the idea of using Legursky at fullback come about?

A: When you’re running short on bodies like we are you kind of look around and see who’s available, and Legursky’s always one of those guys that’s around (laughs). Availability is a good ability. He’s game to it. He’s a good young guy. He’s willing to do whatever we ask him to do, so we gave him an opportunity and he did a good job.

Q: Did he show anything in practice that made you think he was the guy for it?

A: No.

:toofunny:

Q: Has the league gone overboard in trying to protect the quarterback these days?

A: I’m not going to comment on how they’re officiating, in terms of the protection of the quarterback, as long as they provide that same blanket of protection for my quarterback.

yeah right. :rolleyes: it will never happen. but atleast he got the message out.

Q: What factors into your fourth-down decision making?

A: Usually I go with my gut.

:tt03:

NJarhead
10-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Cool. Thanks Tone.

tony hipchest
10-06-2009, 07:39 PM
no prob.

the rough transcripts are posted on wexels site (for free) every tuesday, not long after the actual conference.

it sometimes used to take steelers.com days to post it (usually not til the next day atleast)

billybob
10-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Tomlin is a fixture now . If one thinks otherwise ,................well , he is becoming one .
Really knows how to handle the press conferences .

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

NJarhead
10-06-2009, 07:50 PM
no prob.

the rough transcripts are posted on wexels site (for free) every tuesday, not long after the actual conference.

it sometimes used to take steelers.com days to post it (usually not til the next day atleast)

I usually record it, but I'm not sure it'll be there since I down graded my programming (no more Fox Sports Pit).

tmacsteelerfan
10-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Tomlin always knows what to say to keep him out of the medias spotlight.

slippy
10-06-2009, 08:41 PM
point blank, he is a leader. when he speaks, we listen.

devilsdancefloor
10-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Coach is a wordsmith. He knows how to "not" say things , but his point across at times. I really understand why the rooneys hired him. he could tell me it is time to go pick up dog crap and i would be excited to do it :wink02::tt04:

HometownGal
10-06-2009, 10:32 PM
:applaudit::hatsoff::applaudit::thumbsup:

AMEN Coach!

Q: Has the league gone overboard in trying to protect the quarterback these days?

A: I’m not going to comment on how they’re officiating, in terms of the protection of the quarterback, as long as they provide that same blanket of protection for my quarterback.

As was previously stated, however, if the name on the back of the QB's jersey isn't Brady The Shady Impregnator, you're toast.

Steelers & I
10-06-2009, 10:41 PM

AMEN Coach!

As was previously stated, however, if the name on the back of the QB's jersey isn't Brady The Shady Impregnator, you're toast.

For sure! But anyway EFF BRADY!

tony hipchest
10-06-2009, 10:55 PM

AMEN Coach!

As was previously stated, however, if the name on the back of the QB's jersey isn't Brady The Shady Impregnator, you're toast.i love how he spontaneously(?) and selectively (most assuredly) used the term "blanket" :binky: with that answer.

the man is beyond his years.